Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,763

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#401 » by Colbinii » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:41 pm

A Prime Jeff Teague is a great fit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#402 » by Colbinii » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Dewey wrote:lets not kid ourselves, we need a PG. I think the question is whether want a high volume shoot-first PG or more conventional game manager... IMO it's a combination = PG than defend and resist taking shots away from Wiggins/KAT when they are on, while manaaging the 3rd-wheel shot selection.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#403 » by Colbinii » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:46 pm

packforfreedom wrote:unfortunatly he seems to have no idea how to run an NBA offense. He can make basic passes and maybe one day he can run a medium efficent pick n roll. I don't see him becoming a reliable PG in the nearer future. He's also in general pretty lost on the offensive side of the floor. He's good defensive instincts though, but he has a long way to go.

packforfreedom wrote:unfortunatly he seems to have no idea how to run an NBA offense. He can make basic passes and maybe one day he can run a medium efficent pick n roll. I don't see him becoming a reliable PG in the nearer future. He's also in general pretty lost on the offensive side of the floor. He's good defensive instincts though, but he has a long way to go.

Well for starters he is only 20 years old [21 in February].

Second, he wasn't drafted to be a PG. He is going to be a scoring wing who can be a secondary/third ball handler.

Third, he has already improved since his horrendous start when he looked like he did not belong.

What I have liked most about him is he has found little ways to impact the game. When he is on the court the team has been doing better than when he is on the bench. He tries hard on defense and makes the right switch 8/10 times.

Offensively it is still hard to watch sometimes. He had a possession against the Pistons where he just dribbled on the 3 point line trying to either run a pick and roll with Towns or something and he wasted the entire shot clock. When he went to the bench one of our coaches immediately grabbed him and talked to him which is reassuring to me as a fan and believer in this staff.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#404 » by Killboard » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:40 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Dewey wrote:lets not kid ourselves, we need a PG. I think the question is whether want a high volume shoot-first PG or more conventional game manager... IMO it's a combination = PG than defend and resist taking shots away from Wiggins/KAT when they are on, while manaaging the 3rd-wheel shot selection.

Hard disagree. We need a PG who can defend and shoot volume 3's. Teague never was a good fit IMO but he is a lot better than any 3rd string PG the wolves have had to replace him when he is down.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#405 » by Colbinii » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:41 pm

Teague is a good fit because he is good at managing the game, can hit the open 3 and doesn't require a high usage.

I'm really hoping we can get Monte Morris.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#406 » by Jedzz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:23 pm

Killboard wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Hard disagree. We need a PG who can defend and shoot volume 3's. Teague never was a good fit IMO but he is a lot better than any 3rd string PG the wolves have had to replace him when he is down.

i think this is why Teague has avoided shooting 3s. Somone has been telling him to save those for Wiggins/Towns this whole time. I think it's pretty clear this year that Wiggins being on ball is maybe the best way to get and keep him going. That, or he's just doing what he said he would do this year and elevating his play.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#407 » by Jedzz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:25 pm

horaceworthy wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
wesleyt95 wrote:So who should've gotten the start? McLaughlin?

Read on Twitter

Someone else.

Who gets cut to bring in someone else?

Take your pick. It's not my fault they only had 3 true PGs rosterable. They have Way too many bigs for a team that is stubbornly only using 1 big at a time. Granted they are all interesting to keep players. So maybe McLaughlin gets replaced if he can't prove enough at this level.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,827

Post#408 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Jedzz wrote:
horaceworthy wrote:Who gets cut to bring in someone else?

Take your pick. It's not my fault they only had 3 true PGs rosterable. They have Way too many bigs for a team that is stubbornly only using 1 big at a time. Granted they are all interesting to keep players. So maybe McLaughlin gets replaced if he can't prove enough at this level.

McLaughlin still doesn't take up one of the 15 roster spots. All "replacing" him does is send him to Iowa, no roster spot is created unless he's released from his two-way contract entirely (which I'm not sure can happen midseason).

If you're talking about creating a roster spot to bring in a free agent, you're probably talking about dropping Bell, Bates-Diop, Nowell or Reid, unless you want to cut one of the guys that's gotten more regular minutes lately.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#409 » by shangrila » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Jedzz wrote:
horaceworthy wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Someone else.

Who gets cut to bring in someone else?

McLaughlin is a 2-way, isn't he? So getting rid of him wouldn't give you another roster spot? I do agree he's been fairly useless so far, so they might as well throw Nowell out there if they want a look at someone.

Honestly I'm not sure if there's anything out there that's either better than what we have or makes sense to obtain. We're struggling now because of health but when everyone's available we're...ok, especially since this system doesn't seem to require a traditional PG to be effective.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#410 » by Jedzz » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:24 pm

shangrila wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
horaceworthy wrote:Who gets cut to bring in someone else?

McLaughlin is a 2-way, isn't he? So getting rid of him wouldn't give you another roster spot? I do agree he's been fairly useless so far, so they might as well throw Nowell out there if they want a look at someone.

Honestly I'm not sure if there's anything out there that's either better than what we have or makes sense to obtain. We're struggling now because of health but when everyone's available we're...ok, especially since this system doesn't seem to require a traditional PG to be effective.

I think you are right about all of that. I still might check if Iverson can still walk.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#411 » by packforfreedom » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:21 am

Colbinii wrote:

Well for starters he is only 20 years old [21 in February].

Second, he wasn't drafted to be a PG. He is going to be a scoring wing who can be a secondary/third ball handler.

Third, he has already improved since his horrendous start when he looked like he did not belong.

What I have liked most about him is he has found little ways to impact the game. When he is on the court the team has been doing better than when he is on the bench. He tries hard on defense and makes the right switch 8/10 times.

Offensively it is still hard to watch sometimes. He had a possession against the Pistons where he just dribbled on the 3 point line trying to either run a pick and roll with Towns or something and he wasted the entire shot clock. When he went to the bench one of our coaches immediately grabbed him and talked to him which is reassuring to me as a fan and believer in this staff.

I agree with you points, but I still can't help but feeling disappointed in his game so far. especially for being a non factor on offense. Like I said I like his defensive instincts and he made some good plays on this side of the floor.
But on offense, he can't really get past his defender, and I don't trust his shot motion at all. time will obviously tell and for the first time in ages I have faith in our coaching staff.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#412 » by urinesane » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:03 pm

He's still a 20 year old in a man's league. How don't people understand how difficult of a task that is to take on?

I know we've all heard about rookies saying the NBA game seems really fast and they needed time before it slowed down for them to settle in. Why do fans get amnesia every single season?

This discussion is silly this early in the season. I think you can start predicting/judging Culver around April to see what he may be in the future, and even THAT is probably too early.

Unless they're a top 3 pick in a decent draft, I expect little to nothing out of rookies. They have to be truly special to make an impact at this level of competition in their early 20's.

Does anyone else remember when they were 20? Just think of all of the stuff outside of the game that would be difficult to manage at that age, let alone playing against the best athletes in the world that have been playing at the highest level for years.

If you take my advice and choose to not have an opinion on rookies (especially this early in their FIRST season) you'll save yourself a lot of energy and time.

I'll say it again so it's clear, because I know it's tough in this 24/7 news cycle talking head era - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN OPINION ON A PLAYER THIS EARLY IN THEIR CAREER.

Try it out, it's pretty great.
wesleyt95
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#413 » by wesleyt95 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:02 am

I'm still on the point Culver bandwagon
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,827

Post#414 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:20 am

He's a jumper away from being SPECIAL.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,455

Post#415 » by Foye » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:46 am

I like what I have seen.

Dude is filling up the stats sheet getting boards, assists, steals and blocks.

While his shooting %'s aren't pretty, he is already showing signs of improvement.

He just needs time to adjust to the NBA game. No doubt that he will figure things out.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#416 » by Neeva » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:57 am

I love his fit with Wiggs and Kat (and okogie), pretty seamless.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#417 » by minimus » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:38 am

Klomp wrote:He's a jumper away from being SPECIAL.

Okogie, Culver are both a jumper away from being SPECIAL.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#418 » by TaylorTag » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:15 pm

In the NBA, you need good wing play. It also doesn't hurt to have height in the backcourt. Culver checks both of those boxes. The Wolves have invested a lot in backcourt/wing players: Wiggins, Okogie, Culver... If we can have one of those guys on the court the entire game (preferably two for most of the game), we will be able to stymie opposing offenses and get our own offense going. Colby White is legit for the Bulls, but I think Culver fits this iteration of the Wolves team: length at the 1-3 spots (PG, SG, SF).
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#419 » by old school 34 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:53 pm

Like many have said....there's some bad stuff your seeing w/ indecisiveness & being pushed around...but also flashes. Couple things guys need to remember....granted he was a #6 pick, but a 6 in a bad draft. Trae Young this time last year, folks were cursing & already claiming him to be a bust in a good draft. None of that means, he will or won't work out yet & @ what position---just enjoy the process & enjoy that you can have a little bit of confidence in management that their truly is a plan & emphasis on developing guys the right way....still doesn't guarantee anything, but I feel a lot more @ ease in the fact that I'm a lot more confident that there's a real plan & not 100% incumbent on the player just having to figure it out on his own (that may be selling past regimes short, but I just feel these guys give you a better idea that there's truly a plan in place).

And in regards to the McLaughlin talk....he probably never is an nba player (never say never...but)....But also---he was brought in here....because he knew Pablo's offensive system that we were going to run & he comes across as a guy that knows what he is & down in the G-league....not going to get in the way of maximizing the development of guys like KBD, Naz, Nowell, & others. Granted we need an eventual answer to a PG of the future....but if that's not there....a guy like this is perfect to run the point for your G-league team. And if anyone saw the highlights of the Iowa game last night---it kind of speaks to that?
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#420 » by Killboard » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 pm

.R. Covington, .A. Wiggins, .K. Towns, .T. Graham, .J. Culver, 42 minutes, 100.0 ORTG, 95.9 DRTG, +4.1
.R. Covington, .A. Wiggins, .K. Towns, .T. Graham, .J. Teague, 60 minutes, 105.5 ORTG, 119.1 DRTG, -13.6

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves