ImageImageImage

The Jarrett Culver Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,926
And1: 12,704
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#681 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 9, 2020 3:11 am

He definitely has gotten bigger

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Baseline81
Pro Prospect
Posts: 917
And1: 381
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#682 » by Baseline81 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:40 am

Read on Twitter
Magoose
Junior
Posts: 251
And1: 83
Joined: Jun 22, 2007
 

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#683 » by Magoose » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Bold statement but I think Culver's gonna be a pleasant surprise. :clap:
Why? Because I feel like he was clearly improving at the end of last season and coming into his own. In addition it seems he has worked on his most important deficiencies... upper body strength and shooting motion. Next focus has to be ball handling and passing.

Hope Rosas is not giving up on him prematurely.
DaMplsKid
Sophomore
Posts: 227
And1: 83
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
       

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#684 » by DaMplsKid » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:36 pm

I don't know if I am reading to much into it or not. I wish he would of spoke about improving his shooting more then talking about "improving everything". Sometimes when you work of everything you really don't improve on anything. I also liked when a guy in the offseason work on adding one thing to their game and really putting a focus on that one thing. His shooting was so bad (3pt and free throw) I would hope he was smart enough to put a huge focus on these areas. Again might be just reading to much into it being that I can't wait for games to start.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 12,186
And1: 2,528
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#685 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:19 pm

Magoose wrote:Bold statement but I think Culver's gonna be a pleasant surprise. :clap:
Why? Because I feel like he was clearly improving at the end of last season and coming into his own. In addition it seems he has worked on his most important deficiencies... upper body strength and shooting motion. Next focus has to be ball handling and passing.

Hope Rosas is not giving up on him prematurely.

If Rosas had given up on him prematurely he would have already been traded to Atlanta. I'm confident that Culver is going to live up to his draft status this year.
thinktank
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,688
And1: 634
Joined: Jul 02, 2010
Location: Mpls

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#686 » by thinktank » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:02 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Magoose wrote:Bold statement but I think Culver's gonna be a pleasant surprise. :clap:
Why? Because I feel like he was clearly improving at the end of last season and coming into his own. In addition it seems he has worked on his most important deficiencies... upper body strength and shooting motion. Next focus has to be ball handling and passing.

Hope Rosas is not giving up on him prematurely.

If Rosas had given up on him prematurely he would have already been traded to Atlanta. I'm confident that Culver is going to live up to his draft status this year.


There's still a chance that Rosas gives up on Culver prematurely.

For example, Culver gets traded mid-season and then, in the future, blossoms for another team.

I, too, hope "Rosas is not giving up on him prematurely".
Neeva
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,108
And1: 1,324
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#687 » by Neeva » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:16 pm

Rooting for Jarrett and hope he makes all
His haters eat crow especially the boxscore reader Jeddz.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#688 » by Jedzz » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Neeva wrote:Rooting for Jarrett and hope he makes all
His haters eat crow especially the boxscore reader Jeddz.


Because I research stats I'm a "box score reader". Thanks for the hate mail.

You are talking to one of the people that was trying to convince a few "haters" not to give up on him already after only one season. Describing accurately how he played last season doesn't make a person a box score reader or hater as you put it.
Neeva
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,108
And1: 1,324
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#689 » by Neeva » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:56 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Neeva wrote:Rooting for Jarrett and hope he makes all
His haters eat crow especially the boxscore reader Jeddz.


Because I research stats I'm a "box score reader". Thanks for the hate mail.

You are talking to one of the people that was trying to convince a few "haters" not to give up on him already after only one season. Describing accurately how he played last season doesn't make a person a box score reader or hater as you put it.


You clearly dont even watch wolves games you just like looking at shooting stats.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 12,186
And1: 2,528
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#690 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:17 pm

Neeva wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Neeva wrote:Rooting for Jarrett and hope he makes all
His haters eat crow especially the boxscore reader Jeddz.


Because I research stats I'm a "box score reader". Thanks for the hate mail.

You are talking to one of the people that was trying to convince a few "haters" not to give up on him already after only one season. Describing accurately how he played last season doesn't make a person a box score reader or hater as you put it.


You clearly dont even watch wolves games you just like looking at shooting stats.

I would discourage posts like this as they only escalate confrontation. Many of us analytical types like to examine the stats, but we can do that and still enjoy watching the games.
Battletrigger
Sophomore
Posts: 111
And1: 65
Joined: Apr 05, 2018
     

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#691 » by Battletrigger » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:34 am

Neeva wrote:Rooting for Jarrett and hope he makes all
His haters eat crow especially the boxscore reader Jeddz.


If you don't like a person you can just ignore him, you don't have to read his post.

This kind of free personal attacks are a nonesense, I suppose that you are not a child, so don't act like if you were in school.
post0115
Junior
Posts: 393
And1: 35
Joined: Dec 17, 2006

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#692 » by post0115 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:11 pm

The talk or possibility of okogie at the 4 is a joke. This offseason I’ve come to the realization that culver at the 4 is the right answer and that was before I saw the muscle gain. It is just a matter of how long it takes them to realize it.

Culver is not on the level of Lebron or Ben Simmons, but we can learn from their usage. Word out of philly is they really like idea of Simmons at the four. The lakers also finally used him the way he should have been used for years flipping between the 1 and 4. This may seem counterintuitive at 1st, but with his slow release and average shooting stats it makes a ton of sense. Also, using old Adelman logic about positions what position can a player defend while being able to exploit on offense?

Culver can fulfill a switch and point forward role on second unit with layman being the stretch forward beside him.
theGreatRC
RealGM
Posts: 17,854
And1: 4,257
Joined: Oct 12, 2006
Location: California
 

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#693 » by theGreatRC » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:17 am

Impressed with Culver so far...wouldn't mind taking a shot with him as our starting 3....6'7 with great defensive instincts..if his shot is improved (form looks waaay better than last year)..wouldn't be surprised if he's an x factor this season.

I feel bad for writing this young man off, his shooting %s were just disgusting last year, but it's only his second season and I like his confidence coming into these 2 games.
2021 Wolves will make the playoffs
Dewey
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,122
And1: 757
Joined: May 22, 2001

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#694 » by Dewey » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:51 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Impressed with Culver so far...wouldn't mind taking a shot with him as our starting 3....6'7 with great defensive instincts..if his shot is improved (form looks waaay better than last year)..wouldn't be surprised if he's an x factor this season.

I feel bad for writing this young man off, his shooting %s were just disgusting last year, but it's only his second season and I like his confidence coming into these 2 games.

Stats aside ... I see a player who has never made himself bigger than the game. He was clearly humbled last year, yet he's the type of player who don't get too high or too low and understands the need to focus on fundamentals and consistency. Players who can do that both ends of the floor are gonna see minutes. It's still early, but it would be great to see him have some success filling that steady eddy role on the wing.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
wolves_89
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,184
And1: 2,373
Joined: Jul 10, 2012
 

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#695 » by wolves_89 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:32 am

Culver finishes pre-season 4-7 on 3s and 10-10 from the free throw line while playing the best perimeter defense on the team. He looks like he's taken a massive step forward this off-season.
Neeva
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,108
And1: 1,324
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#696 » by Neeva » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:33 am

He doesn’t look like a skinny teenager anymore either.
TheZachAttack
Rookie
Posts: 1,032
And1: 750
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
       

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#697 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:20 am

I think Culver’s apparent improvement this season is an important lesson for Wolves fans in regards to watching Edwards this season.

I think Edwards already looks like a much better athlete, arguably better handles, and has a better jump shot than Culver did in his rookie year... and is just as young.

Good organizations develop their talent further than when they come into the league. This doesn’t mean that players reach their ultimate ceiling, but they get better and are able to be productive NBA rotation players or better. The Wolves haven’t had a lot of good organizations and coaching staffs historically when it comes to developing talent.

I think the hope is, and what Rosas and his regime is trying to be, is an organization that develops their talent. It seems like with Prigioni and Vanterpool among others—we may have a chance to be a team that does that more often than not.
User avatar
karch34
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,234
And1: 486
Joined: Jul 05, 2001
Location: Valley of the Sun
     

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#698 » by karch34 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:55 am

Defense has been good and he looks much more comfortable on offense. If he's competent on offense he opens up more options for our D as he can be on court same time as a Davis, Okogie, RHJ, etc. That and ability as secondary ball handler would be an asset most weren't expecting.
theGreatRC
RealGM
Posts: 17,854
And1: 4,257
Joined: Oct 12, 2006
Location: California
 

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#699 » by theGreatRC » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:05 am

Pleasantly surprised with Culver this preseason..let's see how this carries over to the real games, he looks A LOT more confident.
2021 Wolves will make the playoffs
Dewey
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,122
And1: 757
Joined: May 22, 2001

Re: The Jarrett Culver Thread 

Post#700 » by Dewey » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:35 pm

We’d be fortunate to have JC and Ant earn starts in the wing ...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves