ImageImageImage

Lowe - Timberwolves Still Want D-Russell

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,170

Re: Lowe - Timberwolves Still Want D-Russell 

Post#1281 » by Tukkerwolf » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:48 pm

But shouldn't there always be in and outgoing parts in a three team trade, like a top 55 protected pick?
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#1282 » by Killboard » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:49 pm

Klomp wrote:Unless there's just been a 100% leak of misinformation about the transaction, Russell isn't coming here no matter what fishy things people may think have transpired.

The sign-and-trade rule allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. A sign-and-trade is treated like a single, atomic transaction, and not two separate transactions between which one party can change its mind -- if the trade is not completed, then the signing is invalidated. (Note: the 48 hours cannot start during the moratorium)

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q92

The conspiracy theory anounce the trade on Dec 15th when a re route is legal and Klay is close to comeback.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#1283 » by Killboard » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:51 pm

DaKid wrote:Warriors in
Teague (expiring)
Roco

Wolves in
Russell
Napier
Graham

Nets in
Warriors frp

Which is your theory about why they didnt anounce it that way?
DaKid
Senior
And1: 186

Post#1284 » by DaKid » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:54 pm

Klomp wrote:Unless there's just been a 100% leak of misinformation about the transaction, Russell isn't coming here no matter what fishy things people may think have transpired.

The sign-and-trade rule allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. A sign-and-trade is treated like a single, atomic transaction, and not two separate transactions between which one party can change its mind -- if the trade is not completed, then the signing is invalidated. (Note: the 48 hours cannot start during the moratorium)

None of these deals can be official until July 6th whether a resign or trade or just a signing. This time period is full of handshake deals. That is how DeAndre Jordan backed out of the Mavs deal years ago. The deal can be modified as much as the teams want or one of the teams or Russell could change their mind.
DaKid
Senior

Post#1285 » by DaKid » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:57 pm

Killboard wrote:
Teague (expiring)
Roco

Wolves in
Russell
Napier
Graham

Nets in
Warriors frp

Maybe there is more moving parts. Maybe gsw want more such as Culver or okogie since they are giving up 2 frps . Not sure. But look at the question marks behind everything they are feeding the media.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#1286 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:58 pm

DaKid wrote:None of these deals can be official until July 6th whether a resign or trade or just a signing. This time period is full of handshake deals. That is how DeAndre Jordan backed out of the Mavs deal years ago. The deal can be modified as much as the teams want or one of the teams or Russell could change their mind.

Sure, it can happen. But the Jordan situation isn't the norm.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
DaKid
Senior

Post#1287 » by DaKid » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:00 pm

Killboard wrote:

The conspiracy theory anounce the trade on Dec 15th when a re route is legal and Klay is close to comeback.

Look at the bottom line, "(Note: the 48 hours cannot start during the moratorium)"

Anything can be changed until the trade is official as long as all parties agree.
DaKid
Senior

Post#1288 » by DaKid » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:03 pm

Klomp wrote:
DaKid wrote:None of these deals can be official until July 6th whether a resign or trade or just a signing. This time period is full of handshake deals. That is how DeAndre Jordan backed out of the Mavs deal years ago. The deal can be modified as much as the teams want or one of the teams or Russell could change their mind.

Sure, it can happen. But the Jordan situation isn't the norm.

I'm not saying it is. But neither is this situation and everything about it has question marks surrounding it. Even warriors fans on their board are already looking for ways to move Russell. The fit doesn't make sense. And trading Iggy and 2 frps to trade for a non-fitting piece makes no sense.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#1289 » by Killboard » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:05 pm

DaKid wrote:
Killboard wrote:
Teague (expiring)
Roco

Wolves in
Russell
Napier
Graham

Nets in
Warriors frp

Maybe there is more moving parts. Maybe gsw want more such as Culver or okogie since they are giving up 2 frps . Not sure. But look at the question marks behind everything they are feeding the media.

I have a theory with several points about why it should make sense to be finalized after december 15th, but like I said I wont hold my breath about it.

Just use the MLE to get someone useful.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#1290 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:05 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:A lot of it doesn't make sense. I'm giving at least a dumb and dumber chance that something could be going on.
Being completely honest and I think unbiased if I were the Warriors I would rather have RoCo and Teague then Russell.
What doesn't make sense? It all makes sense to me. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. People just don't like we failed, I get that, but nothing odd is going on.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

There are 29 teams we could be raiding or trading with. So far the Wolves have acquired 3 players and they are all from the Warriors. You don't find that odd at all. I'm like you. I don't believe anything will happen. But to completely deny that anything strange is afoot is also burying your head in the sand.
You don't think that might be the GSW understanding that we were the other bidder for Russell? That they kicked us a deal first. (Cash) that others would say yes to. It is not complicated or odd or telling of anything larger.

Bell has ties to MN and would be a guy who might sign here.

Everything is unrelated to something bigger happening.

DaKid
Senior

Post#1291 » by DaKid » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:05 pm

Maybe it doesn't mean that DLo is coming here and if so, whatever, but there is a lot here that we don't know yet.

I will say that I don't think DLo will play a 2nd for the warriors
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#1292 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:09 pm

DaKid wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:What doesn't make sense? It all makes sense to me. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. People just don't like we failed, I get that, but nothing odd is going on.

There are 29 teams we could be raiding or trading with. So far the Wolves have acquired 3 players and they are all from the Warriors. You don't find that odd at all. I'm like you. I don't believe anything will happen. But to completely deny that anything strange is afoot is also burying your head in the sand.

Exactly... And the fact that there are questions left unanswered about how we obtained said players is odd as well.

Why are we a 3rd team taking on cash and non-guaranteed contracts from the nets without giving anything back?

Why is bell coming here on an extremely cheap contract when he has other options including the warriors who still need him?

Why are the warriors giving up 2 frps and Iggy to take on Russell's max contract when they have 2 other backcourt Hof players on max contracts?
We are not giving anything up because we really didn't get anything. The GSW needed to trade thoes players to make the deal work. GSW were either going to have to give cash or a 2nd to make that happen. You are seeing things that are not there.

Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#1293 » by Macwolf527 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:11 pm

packforfreedom wrote:
DaKid wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:
Too much conspiracy for my taste. I really hope I'm wrong though

What's being reported just doesn't add up right now. Nobody is even reporting what we are sending back in the Napier, graham deal. Bell is a restricted fa that warriors have used a lot and they don't want to match a really cheap contract? Especially when their front court is depleted? And he has interest from other teams and he comes here on a cheap deal? Mn doesn't get free agent discounts

But why the secrecy then?

The logical answer is that there is not conspiracy and the deal plays out as reported. Otherwise, the secrecy is surrounding the a pending deal for Wiggins that has absolutely nothing to do with the deal in place to secure DLo, but you want executed before the DLo deal, so you can maximize your return. I've always questioned if there are enough possessions for Russell, Wiggins, and Towns in the same lineup. I just don't see it and the defensive limitations of the 3 together makes them a bad mix. But toss in a couple of two way players like Culver and Covington and a defensive minded PF like Bell and we have the makings of some wonderful.

So why the secrecy? To maximize your return for Wiggins. Teams are funny that way. If they find out you have more options available, they tend to get greedy. But if you can prove your options are limited to what's showing, you can escape a deal without having to fork over more than you desire. This goes back to what Zach Lowe said about the person he considers very smart in the league, saying the Wolves would escape a Wiggins trade with a victory.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,413

Post#1294 » by shrink » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:13 pm

(Edited to remove my stupid take)
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#1295 » by Dewey » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:14 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:I'm going to take the pessimistic approach and say it's not happening with Russell. With that said, I do find it quite strange that we haven't heard a peep from GS or Russell regarding the trade, at least not that I've seen.

I'm more into simple facts, but you have to admit its interesting to ponder ...
1. I was suspiscious after seeing GS moved Iggy ... use RoCo (good deal)
2. no Thompson short-term ... use Teague (expiring) on/off the ball w/Curry.
3. It allows GS to sustain quite nicely vs. being strapped with Russells max contract.

Russell, Jones, Napier
Okogie, Nowell, Graham?
Wiggins, Culver, Deng?
KBD, Bell, ?
KAT, Dieng, ?
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM

Post#1296 » by shrink » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:18 pm

DaKid wrote:
shrink wrote:Even if you like Russell, why do people think Russell, at $29 mil a year for four years, he is a positive value contract?

Because he is a young, very good pg that is only 23 and will fit great with towns

“Young” and “23” are the same thing.

Very good I disagree with - I don’t think he is even in the Top 10 at his position, and if you include the rookies, probably not in the top 20 in desirability (for example, CLE wouldn’t trade Sexton at rookie scale for Russell on a max deal).

I agree on fit, but his game has so many holes, and Towns is so versatile, that it’s hard to see a PG that would NOT be a good fit with Towns.

Many think we should do this because we need to keep Towns happy or he will demand a trade. Towns is locked into a 5 year deal with no player option. Even if he wanted to be traded, the Wolves would say, “No, get back to us in three years when you have some leverage.” In that time, becoming a better team should do more to make Towns happy than adding a pal before his deal starts, and hope he becomes a good player.

But people are entitled to their own opinions. I don’t want to challenge people if they want to believe Russell is the answer. I just think people like him more simply because he wanted to come here, and if we were evaluating him without bias, based on his accomplishments, they wouldn’t find him so appealing.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#1297 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:19 pm

All I know is there are some getting laughed at by visitors to the forum. It is getting desperate around here and overall sad. Lets try not to be fodder for jokes.

DaKid
Senior

Post#1298 » by DaKid » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:21 pm

shrink wrote:
DaKid wrote:Why would they give us cash with two non-guaranteed contracts to do us a favor of allowing us to sign Bell? That is a lose-lose for them. We didn't do them a favor by taking cash and 2 non-guaranteed contracts

Iguodala only makes $17.2 mil, so if he alone was in the deal, they could only offer Russell a contract 125% + $0.1, or $21.6 mil.

They needed to add players to their outgoing package to salary match.

It didn’t have to be our team they traded them too, but we have some small trade exceptions that were expiring in a few months anyway, so we were a good team to ask.

Both Napier and graham came from the nets along with Russell so that is just compiling onto Russell's salary.

They are already under the cap though. They are at $81.7m, cap is at $109m. They almost had enough without trading Iggy. The Iggy trade brought them down to $64.6m which is more than enough to absorb Russell, Napier and graham
shrink
RealGM

Post#1299 » by shrink » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:23 pm

DaKid wrote:
shrink wrote:
DaKid wrote:Why would they give us cash with two non-guaranteed contracts to do us a favor of allowing us to sign Bell? That is a lose-lose for them. We didn't do them a favor by taking cash and 2 non-guaranteed contracts

Iguodala only makes $17.2 mil, so if he alone was in the deal, they could only offer Russell a contract 125% + $0.1, or $21.6 mil.

They needed to add players to their outgoing package to salary match.

It didn’t have to be our team they traded them too, but we have some small trade exceptions that were expiring in a few months anyway, so we were a good team to ask.

Both Napier and graham came from the nets along with Russell so that is just compiling onto Russell's salary.

They are already under the cap though. They are at $81.7m, cap is at $109m. They almost had enough without trading Iggy. The Iggy trade brought them down to $64.6m which is more than enough to absorb Russell, Napier and graham

You’re right - sorry, I did that backwards! :oops:
DaKid
Senior

Post#1300 » by DaKid » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:34 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:All I know is there are some getting laughed at by visitors to the forum. It is getting desperate around here and overall sad. Lets try not to be fodder for jokes.

Really? That's why we are here lol

I'm not desperate about anything. I am just seeing all the question marks. Even Jon k said that things look fishy. It's not just me.

1. Why trade Iggy and 2 frps just to max Russell when he clearly doesn't fit and you have holes everywhere else in your roster

2. The only free agent we have been linked to is an ex gsw starter that is restricted and signing a really cheap contract to be here when he has other suitors

3. Our involvement taking on 2 non-guaranteed contracts and cash as part of another team s&t for obviously our only target in free agency

4. Towns, who was in the Russell meeting, makes the Instagram loading post after said meeting

Maybe people can come up with answers for all of them individually but combined together, they make for a solid argument that something bigger is going on

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves