ImageImageImage

The Jaylen Nowell Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,405

Re: The Jaylen Nowell Thread 

Post#241 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:49 pm

minimus wrote:If Nowell was at least 6'5" with 6'9" wignspan, he could already start over Martin and Culver.

6’4 and 6’7.25 isn’t that bad for a combo guard. All we really need from him is a sharpshooter backup. His defense doesn’t need to be great, and Backup SG’s are rarely expected to rebound more than 2-4 per game. His value is making sure when Beasley sits our scoring doesn’t drop off, or that the opponents cannot simply double the best offensive players on the second unit.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#242 » by minimus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:59 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:If Nowell was at least 6'5" with 6'9" wignspan, he could already start over Martin and Culver.

6’4 and 6’7.25 isn’t that bad for a combo guard. All we really need from him is a sharpshooter backup. His defense doesn’t need to be great, and Backup SG’s are rarely expected to rebound more than 2-4 per game. His value is making sure when Beasley sits our scoring doesn’t drop off, or that the opponents cannot simply double the best offensive players on the second unit.

Exactly. Nowell is a combo guard, while we need SF/SG
winforlose
General Manager

Post#243 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:16 pm

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:

1. How often does a roster stay healthy the whole season? Any injury to Dlo, JMAC, Beasley, and Nowell becomes very handy.

2. We are swimming in people who can play SF. Okogie, Culver, Layman, Martin, maybe Hernangomez. Jacob Evan’s could probably do it in a pinch. An article I read talked about him being better at the 3 than the 1. GSW only converted him out of need.

3. Beasley is 6’5, and Nowell is 6’4. An inch doesn’t make the difference between useful and useless. Look at FVV and KL. 6 ft and 6’1 and they share the court very well.
minimus
RealGM

Post#244 » by minimus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:21 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:

1. How often does a roster stay healthy the whole season? Any injury to Dlo, JMAC, Beasley, and Nowell becomes very handy.

2. We are swimming in people who can play SF. Okogie, Culver, Layman, Martin, maybe Hernangomez. Jacob Evan’s could probably do it in a pinch. An article I read talked about him being better at the 3 than the 1. GSW only converted him out of need.

3. Beasley is 6’5, and Nowell is 6’4. An inch doesn’t make the difference between useful and useless. Look at FVV and KL. 6 ft and 6’1 and they share the court very well.

1. Thats correct. However, Nowell is combo guard, unfortunately he is combo guard in negative way: not consistent enough as shooter, not a good defender and not good enough to run offense. Saying this I must add that he is not YET a rotation player. All tools are there, let him gain experience and he will be ok.
2. Okogie/Culver/Martin can offer some defense at SF. Nowell can't. At SG/PG slots there is no playing time.
3. Nowell is a shooter who currently can't shoot against NBA defense, even against bench players. If you can't shoot, then there is only one position in our system that you could play. It is defensive minded SF/SG. See Okogie/Culver example. Could Nowell beat ML, JC, Martin to get a spot in rotation? Sure, but he needs to shoot better than 13% from 3PT.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#245 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:25 pm

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:

1. Thats correct. However, Nowell is combo guard, unfortunately he is combo guard in negative way: not consistent enough as shooter, not a good defender and not good enough to run offense. Saying this I must add that he is not YET a rotation player. All tools are there, let him gain experience and he will be ok.
2. Okogie/Culver/Martin can offer some defense at SF. Nowell can't. At SG/PG slots there is no playing time.
3. Nowell is a shooter who currently can't shoot against NBA defense, even against bench players. If you can't shoot, then there is only one position in our system that you could play. It is defensive minded SF/SG. See Okogie/Culver example. Could Nowell beat ML, JC, Martin to get a spot in rotation? Sure, but he needs to shoot better than 13% from 3PT.

Your response seems to suggest you are missing context. What I was referring to in an earlier post is getting Nowell in the rotation now to try and help him break through. His G league stats read a lot like Beasley but his NBA stats are a hot mess. My point was that he won’t be useful for us next season (either in trade or on the court) without minutes this season. Since we are tanking anyway this is the perfect time to let him have some backup minutes at PG and SG and order him to shoot. The guy is over 44% from the same distance in the G league as the NBA. 13% is obviously a combination of pace and nerves. Both of which can be cured with minutes.
minimus
RealGM

Post#246 » by minimus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:00 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Your response seems to suggest you are missing context. What I was referring to in an earlier post is getting Nowell in the rotation now to try and help him break through. His G league stats read a lot like Beasley but his NBA stats are a hot mess. My point was that he won’t be useful for us next season (either in trade or on the court) without minutes this season. Since we are tanking anyway this is the perfect time to let him have some backup minutes at PG and SG and order him to shoot. The guy is over 44% from the same distance in the G league as the NBA. 13% is obviously a combination of pace and nerves. Both of which can be cured with minutes.

I know that a few MIN fans are worried about Nowell. But I am okay with his situation. There is no consistent minutes for him in rotation, and he has not shown that he can be effective in limited minutes/role. There are many ongoing issues with main team such as DLo/Beasley integration, ML/Okogie development, JC experiment. Only Martin minutes might be given to Nowell but again Nowell can't offer Martins versatility in defense.

So I don't see any point to be worried Nowell. Sure, 1+3 contract helps, but not all rookies from late 2nd round starts to produce from the very first season.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#247 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:06 pm

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:

I know that a few MIN fans are worried about Nowell. But I am okay with his situation. There is no consistent minutes for him in rotation, and he has not shown that he can be effective in limited minutes/role. There are many ongoing issues with main team such as DLo/Beasley integration, ML/Okogie development, JC experiment. Only Martin minutes might be given to Nowell but again Nowell can't offer Martins versatility in defense.

So I don't see any point to be worried Nowell. Sure, 1+3 contract helps, but not all rookies from late 2nd round starts to produce from the very first season.

Where we disagree is JC. At this point I think he needs some time in Iowa. His numbers are erratic, his rookie wall is evident. If he spends a few weeks with a lighter schedule and weaker competition I think he would get his confidence back. This opens the time for Nowell. Also, I really think we need Spellman up here for a while. To make that work Layman needs to go to the 3. Right now those minutes are Culver’s. Personal preference I admit, but with this many young guys the answer isn’t just ignore half of them.
minimus
RealGM

Post#248 » by minimus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:14 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Where we disagree is JC. At this point I think he needs some time in Iowa. His numbers are erratic, his rookie wall is evident. If he spends a few weeks with a lighter schedule and weaker competition I think he would get his confidence back. This opens the time for Nowell. Also, I really think we need Spellman up here for a while. To make that work Layman needs to go to the 3. Right now those minutes are Culver’s. Personal preference I admit, but with this many young guys the answer isn’t just ignore half of them.

Culver shot is broken, gleague won't fix such thing. But even with broken shot Culver is way better defender, passer, slasher and (the most funny part) shooter than Nowell. JC learns how to play off the ball, and I am okay to give him some time.

I think Spellman problem is financial/personal. Anyway we will know much more after waivers deadline.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#249 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:20 pm

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:

Culver shot is broken, gleague won't fix such thing. But even with broken shot Culver is way better defender, passer, slasher and (the most funny part) shooter than Nowell. JC learns how to play off the ball, and I am okay to give him some time.

I think Spellman problem is financial/personal. Anyway we will know much more after waivers deadline.

I am not suggesting giving up on him, just clearing him off the rotation for a couple weeks to allow others to develop. As for your other point, what does it matter when we are actively tanking. At this point I actually wonder if Culver wouldn’t do better with lighter competition and less pressure.

Spellman definitely feels personal. I hope they get past it, or a good opportunity will be wasted.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#250 » by Jedzz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:38 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Perfectly said WinforLose. That is all that should need being said. But of course these guys won't hear you out or admit to such wisdom. Giving him a chance to break through, like JMac did, is what is called for right now. It's an opportunity for the team they shouldn't pass up.

Funny thing is 12-13% is a number range many a starting NBA wolves player has put up this season in games. Including a Max Wiggins, a top 6 pick Culver who gets to play every single game. These are guys put into every possible scenario to succeed with minute totals you couldn't buy if you could afford it. But they still somehow shot at that same level at times this season. They never got benched for it. They were told to go back out there and shoot some more.

It's Nowell's fault for missing all of his cold shot chances. It's the team's fault for wasting this opportunity putting him in position to fail at those in this way. There really isn't a reason that he and Culver couldn't have switched off all season long.

Think about all the good that could happen if Nowell could break through while getting 20+ minutes for a set of consecutive games. If he can, all of a sudden the team has found another shooter, a cheap cheap shooter for a couple years. This knowledge in hand then earns the team some leverage say in the Beas negotiations at the very least. But in games, when Beasley needs a break, they have another shooter to trust. Novel idea I know. Who needs shooters in a 45 tres per game system? Idk.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#251 » by Jedzz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:44 pm

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:

Sorry minimus. I don't approve of that last post.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#252 » by Jedzz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:52 pm

When Martin first came up he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn either. His first or one of his first couple games I think he had maybe 10 3s in one quarter and maybe missed them all or something. People were talking bad about that performance, his shooting, also claiming he's got no defense. I said then, give him more time and a real place in the game plan and things will change because he has game IQ our other players don't have and he just needs to get up to speed to start shooting better. He did get more time because of the teams SF shortage. Now people speak differently of him. Go figure.

However Martin has struggled shooting on and off with highs and low lows since. Martin has a particular issue where he is very hard on himself and gets angry with himself easily during games. Almost the opposite of what Wiggins was like. But I think it hinders him, it surely doesn't help his shot return. But I think his size/game IQ make him usable.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#253 » by Jedzz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:20 pm

Well I don't think Nowell should Start anything. Just like Culver and Martin probably shouldn't have yet. Certainly not Culver. But Nowell is a SG, and maybe a SG/PG combo. Which is what I claimed this summer and likewise, I claimed Culver was a SG/SF like Martin. Arguing for months with those claiming Culver was the next PG to save us.

Between Culver, Martin, Okogie, Beasley and whoever else you want to throw in there, not a single one of them were able to stop or slow Ross, couldn't stop Fultz either. This fairytale that these guys are all so good on defense due to size that they can't be taken off the court is just as fake as the one that was being constantly told about Graham as he started so often and continued to get minutes failure after failure earlier this season.

There is no reason Nowell has to be an all nba defender, and there is no reason he can't be one yet. After all our two max players are about as far from being all NBA defenders as starters get. Nothing is stopping Beasley from being a good player and he doesn't have a 6'9 wingspan. He has a 6-6 to 6-7 wingspan as far as reports go I've seen.

...Standing at just 6'5 and with a wingspan of 6'7, he lacks ideal tools for an NBA wing on defense. The ability to defend multiple positions is at a premium right now, but Beasley lacks the strength to move up to small forward and doesn't have the length to defend lead guards.

Nowell has a
...6’7.25 wingspan
. Apparently they both averaged 15 pts and 5 rebounds in college. Might be very similar, although I know Nowell has a floater Beasley would wish he had. Beasley has 3 or 4 years of experience and confidence.

I suppose it's only ok for Beasley to be just a SG because he was once a FRP (19)?
Maybe Nowell could be Beasleys direct backup. Much like so many want Reid to be Towns direct backup. Because they are so similar.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,932

Post#254 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:11 am

Nowell, the reigning Pac-12 Player of the Year, passed up his final two years of college eligibility to make himself available early for the NBA draft last June. He's played in 11 games for Minnesota, averaging 11 minutes an outing and 4.2 points and 1.3 assists per game.

He had a high game of 12 points in 16 minutes in a 104-102 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks last month. He averaged 21.1 points in 26 games for his Iowa G League team.

"I asked him if he was making his dreams come true and he said, 'Coach, it's unbelievable,' " said Huskies leader Mike Hopkins. "That puts a big smile on our faces."

https://www.si.com/college/washington/legends/roy-and-nowell-talk-about-the-pursuit-of-an-nba-career
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#255 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 5, 2020 2:06 pm

Klomp wrote:Nowell, the reigning Pac-12 Player of the Year, passed up his final two years of college eligibility to make himself available early for the NBA draft last June. He's played in 11 games for Minnesota, averaging 11 minutes an outing and 4.2 points and 1.3 assists per game.

He had a high game of 12 points in 16 minutes in a 104-102 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks last month. He averaged 21.1 points in 26 games for his Iowa G League team.

"I asked him if he was making his dreams come true and he said, 'Coach, it's unbelievable,' " said Huskies leader Mike Hopkins. "That puts a big smile on our faces."

https://www.si.com/college/washington/legends/roy-and-nowell-talk-about-the-pursuit-of-an-nba-career

He's not playing 11 minutes a game. I'm not hitting that link to find out how old this is now but is he supposed to tell his old coach it's wonderful lately getting maybe 3 minutes at the end of a game, or 1 minute before the end of the first half, or DNP's during blowout wins and losses? That is the situation now. The MN situation is if you weren't drafted as a FRP, it's the luck of the draw on injuries giving you a real shot, or trades to a better system elsewhere.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#256 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:04 pm

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:

Worst post I've read in a while this season Minimus, imo. This smacks of the same aloof answers that was being said about Reid while he was stuck in the G. Nowell can shoot as good or better than many on this roster. But he needs to break through and realize that at this level, at this speed, and allow some confidence in. That's obviously going to take some development minutes. Not 3 minutes to end a game and DNP watching. We can give Culver endless minutes all season long shooting like a bowler might, waiting for him to click in at this level. But Nowell isn't getting those kinds of chances to get used to this NBA level. The season wasn't even over yet and this team was starting Culver at PG. After that decision it was then over, but you can see how much anyone cares about this season. They were developing Culver. Welp, they've done a lot of that already from multiple positions now. Time to develop another.

There is plenty of minutes available. Beasley isn't playing 40 minutes. They don't need to run dual PGs. And Okogie Culver aren't just switching off at SF. They are playing guard some too, and they don't need to be right now. I don't want nonshooters to be in that role anyway.

Dlo is a PG
Jmac is a PG
Beasley is a SG
Nowell is as SG (remains to be seen if he can PG at all)

Okogie and Culver are longer players that have proven untrustworthy as shooters already from 1400 to 2400 minutes. They are defenders from SF now and anything they can offer offensively is just extra at this point. I don't know anyone who expects much. I don't want them playing SG at this time. You shouldn't want them dabbling at SG either.

The season was lost long ago. It's develop more players time. Find out if they have a second SG or not before the offseason begins.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#257 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 6, 2020 1:43 am

I'll drop off the Nowell pushing and just give up. Just one more classic Wolves handling moment among many leading me out the door.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#258 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:58 am

11 points in 12 minutes. 5 for 5 from the free throw line. 3 of 4 from the field. Still didn’t hit his 3PA, but otherwise a solid showing in what was mostly garbage time. With Martin coming up limp, Nowell should get some run.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,932

Post#259 » by Klomp » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:59 pm

Good story on him: https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/wolves-jaylen-nowell-washington-mental-health-advocate/5786121/

I know people get frustrated when people like me try to propose bringing in other players ahead of guys like this, but I do think Nowell has a future in this league and I do think he could earn the backup SG role this year.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#260 » by Jedzz » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:09 pm

Klomp wrote:Good story on him: https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/wolves-jaylen-nowell-washington-mental-health-advocate/5786121/

I know people get frustrated when people like me try to propose bringing in other players ahead of guys like this, but I do think Nowell has a future in this league and I do think he could earn the backup SG role this year.

Does the word disingenuous ring any bells? Oh well, good on you for trying to sell him as a trade asset.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves