The Jaylen Nowell Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,326

Re: The Jaylen Nowell Thread 

Post#101 » by Calinks » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:20 pm

This contract thing is starting to worry me. Don't eff this up.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#102 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:07 pm

Calinks wrote:This contract thing is starting to worry me. Don't eff this up.

Rosas hopefully doesn't want to get a rep as a GM who constantly low balls draft picks on their first contract. If he doesn't offer a 2+2 he will get that rep. Draft picks are free to sign for any other league if they don't like their NBA offer correct?
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#103 » by Killboard » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:18 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Rosas hopefully doesn't want to get a rep as a GM who constantly low balls draft picks on their first contract. If he doesn't offer a 2+2 he will get that rep. Draft picks are free to sign for any other league if they don't like their NBA offer correct?

No. The wolves have to offer a tender (1 unguaranteed season for the minimum). If they don't agree to another deal, Norwell can either sign the tender and be a RFA next offseason (rinse and repeat for the 2nd and 3rd year) or he can choose to not sign the tender in which case his rights are kept by the wolves until one year after he wouldn't be considered an early entrant (age 23). He can play overseas and return by then as URFA.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#104 » by minimus » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:20 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Rosas is proving himself as a smart GM. There are factors in these decision that we don't know. Nowell has not shown anything to ask more, while we keep rights to play him in NBA. So everyone should relax about this.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#105 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:37 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Rosas is proving himself as a smart GM. There are factors in these decision that we don't know. Nowell has not shown anything to ask more, while we keep rights to play him in NBA. So everyone should relax about this.

You continually act like Rosas can do no wrong and that is simply not true. He will make plenty of mistakes. He is only human. Starting out his first year as GM with low ball offers to draft picks is probably a mistake. I can't say for sure, but this is going to create his rep with players and agents. Maybe Nowell isn't good enough to deserve more than a 1+3 but that brings up 2 questions. First why did we draft him if we have that little faith in him? Second even if he isn't quite good enough to deserve a 2+2 is it worth the ill will created by playing hard ball? Do we really want agents and players hoping not to be drafted by the Wolves?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#106 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:40 pm

Killboard wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

No. The wolves have to offer a tender (1 unguaranteed season for the minimum). If they don't agree to another deal, Norwell can either sign the tender and be a RFA next offseason (rinse and repeat for the 2nd and 3rd year) or he can choose to not sign the tender in which case his rights are kept by the wolves until one year after he wouldn't be considered an early entrant (age 23). He can play overseas and return by then as URFA.

Kill your answer is confusing me. My question was can the player sign with another league (not NBA) if they don't like their NBA offer. You answer no as if they can't, but then talk about playing overseas as if they can. So I'm taking your no answer to actually mean yes.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#107 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:50 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Draft picks are free to sign for any other league if they don't like their NBA offer correct?

Yes, but we'd still own his NBA rights
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#108 » by Killboard » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:56 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Killboard wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Rosas hopefully doesn't want to get a rep as a GM who constantly low balls draft picks on their first contract. If he doesn't offer a 2+2 he will get that rep. Draft picks are free to sign for any other league if they don't like their NBA offer correct?

Kill your answer is confusing me. My question was can the player sign with another league (not NBA) if they don't like their NBA offer. You answer no as if they can't, but then talk about playing overseas as if they can. So I'm taking your no answer to actually mean yes.

Sorry, didn't see the "other league" at first glance. Yes, he can do that.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#109 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:58 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Draft picks are free to sign for any other league if they don't like their NBA offer correct?

Klomp, thanks for the clarification, but that was never in question. At least for me. I already knew that.
I don't think Rosas has done a good job with risk/reward analysis in low balling Nowell. If reports are correct every player drafted before him and all players drafted down to 48 have received better contract offers. The reward is that if Nowell caves we get him on a more team friendly contract. The downside. What if he never agrees and we just lose him? What if he agrees, but we have created ill will between him and the team? What if Rosas gets a bad rep amongst players and agents making players not wanting to come here? Seems to me like enough negative aspects to low balling that even if we win we lose.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#110 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:12 pm

Killboard wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Sorry, didn't see the "other league" at first glance. Yes, he can do that.

Thanks, Nowell is 20 so if he signs the 1+3 the Wolves control him until he's at least 24. If he signs overseas the Wolves control his NBA rights until he is 23 or 24? I'm not sure what you were saying about that. Either way if he doesn't like the Wolves offer I don't see him having that much to lose by signing overseas.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#111 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:13 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Klomp, thanks for the clarification, but that was never in question. At least for me. I already knew that.

To me, that's why I'm not even worried about this. Because we really can't lose him, at the end of the day. Either he's on the 15-man roster or we have his draft rights.

As for Rosas getting a "lowballing" rep, I don't see that here. Did we lowball Reid?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#112 » by minimus » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:19 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Rosas hopefully doesn't want to get a rep as a GM who constantly low balls draft picks on their first contract. If he doesn't offer a 2+2 he will get that rep. Draft picks are free to sign for any other league if they don't like their NBA offer correct?

You continually act like Rosas can do no wrong and that is simply not true. He will make plenty of mistakes. He is only human. Starting out his first year as GM with low ball offers to draft picks is probably a mistake. I can't say for sure, but this is going to create his rep with players and agents. Maybe Nowell isn't good enough to deserve more than a 1+3 but that brings up 2 questions. First why did we draft him if we have that little faith in him? Second even if he isn't quite good enough to deserve a 2+2 is it worth the ill will created by playing hard ball? Do we really want agents and players hoping not to be drafted by the Wolves?

I don't speak about future. Everything Rosas has done by this moment has been smart and logical. Again, we have NBA rights for Nowell, a guy who has to earn his first minutes in NBA. So Rosas is using this leverage to improve our team long term. I find it good way to negotiate.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#113 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:48 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

I don't speak about future. Everything Rosas has done by this moment has been smart and logical. Again, we have NBA rights for Nowell, a guy who has to earn his first minutes in NBA. So Rosas is using this leverage to improve our team long term. I find it good way to negotiate.

Great way to get a bad rep with players and agents.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#114 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:51 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Yes, but we'd still own his NBA rights

To me, that's why I'm not even worried about this. Because we really can't lose him, at the end of the day. Either he's on the 15-man roster or we have his draft rights.

As for Rosas getting a "lowballing" rep, I don't see that here. Did we lowball Reid?

Reid we gave a slightly better than 2 way deal depending on how you look at it. We gave him the one year guaranty, but now have control for 4 years instead of 2. I heard that we tried to get Culver on a pretty low ball offer and he declined. We then offered the usual offer and he accepted. Negotiating I guess.
minimus
RealGM

Post#115 » by minimus » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:36 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You continually act like Rosas can do no wrong and that is simply not true. He will make plenty of mistakes. He is only human. Starting out his first year as GM with low ball offers to draft picks is probably a mistake. I can't say for sure, but this is going to create his rep with players and agents. Maybe Nowell isn't good enough to deserve more than a 1+3 but that brings up 2 questions. First why did we draft him if we have that little faith in him? Second even if he isn't quite good enough to deserve a 2+2 is it worth the ill will created by playing hard ball? Do we really want agents and players hoping not to be drafted by the Wolves?

It is one way to negotiate deals. Did HOU low ball Capella? He was/is an important part of their roster. They needed him badly, but they negotiated that deal. As result he is on team friendly deal now. Bad rep Morey now? I don't think so.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#116 » by Jedzz » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:42 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

It is one way to negotiate deals. Did HOU low ball Capella? He was/is an important part of their roster. They needed him badly, but they negotiated that deal. As result he is on team friendly deal now. Bad rep Morey now? I don't think so.

Just heard something on the radio about Morey. Might want to check.

How about you compare Capella's lowball offer to a 1yr <1MM guarantee + 3 unguaranteed years of control just so we know that you know what you just proposed as a useful comparison.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#117 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:46 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

I'm not saying the team should never try to get the players on team friendly contracts. I'm suggesting that lowballing rookies where every player can see what you offered compared to all the other teams in the same area did is probably not in the teams best interest overall.
minimus
RealGM

Post#118 » by minimus » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:52 pm

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Great way to get a bad rep with players and agents.

How about you compare Capella's lowball offer to a 1yr <1MM guarantee + 3 unguaranteed years of control just so we know that you know what you just proposed as a useful comparison.

I find it good comparison if you heard whole Morey talk on the radio. What part of conversation you have not understood?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#119 » by KGdaBom » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:56 pm

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:

I find it good comparison if you heard whole Morey talk on the radio. What part of conversation you have not understood?

Minimus it is obvious that Rosas is a sacred cow to you. He can do no wrong. I will not bother to discuss anything critical about Rosas with you until you realize he is like all of us a flawed human being very capable of making mistakes.
minimus
RealGM

Post#120 » by minimus » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:05 am

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Minimus it is obvious that Rosas is a sacred cow to you. He can do no wrong. I will not bother to discuss anything critical about Rosas with you until you realize he is like all of us a flawed human being very capable of making mistakes.

Once again. I'm not speaking about future, and some obvious things like human mistakes. What Rosas move looks like mistake? Or out of logic? Do you know more details about Nowell situation than Rosas? If you do please share with us. For which reason Nowell was drafted so low? Why other teams passed on him?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves