ImageImageImage

Do you want Westbrook on the Timberwolves?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Assuming the cost is minimal, do you even want Westbrook on this roster?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 78

jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Re: Do you want Westbrook on the Timberwolves? 

Post#81 » by jscott » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:07 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jscott wrote:
D_Dawkins53 wrote:
You're right it would take more you're not getting Westbrook with Robert Covington and Josh okogie. Trash and Robert Covington's probably never going to be the same with his knee.

Great. We are happy to keep RoCo and our trash.

Go try to move yours somewhere else.

Dawkins is a fake account made just to troll us. Don't feed him.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll stop.
D_Dawkins53
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#82 » by D_Dawkins53 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:09 pm

jscott wrote:
D_Dawkins53 wrote:
jscott wrote:Great. We are happy to keep RoCo and our trash.

Go try to move yours somewhere else.

You think Robert Covington and Josh are getting Russell Westbrook? Lolololololol

No I don’t cause I don’t think the Wolves are stupid enough to offer that much for a 31yo making an average of 41m (with 47 in the last year) who shot 39/66/29 on 30% usage with attitude issues.

That’s a massive overpay for Westbrook.

OKC would hang up laughing
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#83 » by shrink » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:45 pm

“No” is not a strong enough poll choice for me. How about ...?

HELLLLLLLLL NO!!!!!
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#84 » by shrink » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:51 pm

Takingbaconback wrote:There is just too much going against him. He's not a good shooter, he is a volume scorer, he stagnates the offense and holds the ball, he is past his 30s, he has a gigantic contract, he causes conflict with other stars, he doesn't make the wolves better than at least 4 teams in the West, and he requires multiple valuable assets.

Good post. It truly boggles my mind that so many Wolves fans think getting him is a good idea DESPITE all these reasons!

The only thing I can guess at to explain this is that they are either unaware of Westbrook’s decline, or they are so desperate for any big name, that they’d drive the franchise into a wall.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#85 » by jpatrick » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:59 pm

Westbrook is not going to deliver us a championship. He’s not good enough. I wouldn’t prefer that we go down that path because we’re suddenly in win-now mode with further moves, and I don’t think we’re close enough to be in that mode. I think people are just tired of losing and don’t see any immediate path to get beyond a mediocre-to-bad team.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#86 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:02 am

shrink wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:There is just too much going against him. He's not a good shooter, he is a volume scorer, he stagnates the offense and holds the ball, he is past his 30s, he has a gigantic contract, he causes conflict with other stars, he doesn't make the wolves better than at least 4 teams in the West, and he requires multiple valuable assets.

Good post. It truly boggles my mind that so many Wolves fans think getting him is a good idea DESPITE all these reasons!

The only thing I can guess at to explain this is that they are either unaware of Westbrook’s decline, or they are so desperate for any big name, that they’d drive the franchise into a wall.

I'm only against the idea that he wouldn't be worth it under any circumstances. He would. However, under any realistic circumstances I agree with you.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#87 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:04 am

jpatrick wrote:Westbrook is not going to deliver us a championship. He’s not good enough. I wouldn’t prefer that we go down that path because we’re suddenly in win-now mode with further moves, and I don’t think we’re close enough to be in that mode. I think people are just tired of losing and don’t see any immediate path to get beyond a mediocre-to-bad team.

If you will only be happy with a chip be prepared for disappointment. Just get us back to respectability would be great and then anything more IMO is gravy.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,962

Post#88 » by Domejandro » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:05 am

I honestly am on the verge of giving up, but we are literally talking about trading Andrew Wiggins, Gorgui Dieng, and two firsts. If literally any other fan outside of this forum saw you guys balking at that, there would be calls to institutionalize the entire forum.

Not wanting to trade Jarrett Culver? That is fine, I understand building for the future. That said, people are going WAY too far in the other direction, to the points of absolute insanity. Minnesota would still have their young pieces, but they would be ON TOP OF Russell Westbrook instead of Andrew Wiggins and Gorgui Dieng.
Howard Cosell
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#89 » by Howard Cosell » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:06 am

Read on Twitter

This is why I keep asking if it’s become official yet if Culver has signed the contract.

Nobody seems to know.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#90 » by jpatrick » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:13 am

KGdaBom wrote:
jpatrick wrote:Westbrook is not going to deliver us a championship. He’s not good enough. I wouldn’t prefer that we go down that path because we’re suddenly in win-now mode with further moves, and I don’t think we’re close enough to be in that mode. I think people are just tired of losing and don’t see any immediate path to get beyond a mediocre-to-bad team.

If you will only be happy with a chip be prepared for disappointment. Just get us back to respectability would be great and then anything more IMO is gravy.

I think the goal should be contention/at least top 4 seed in the West. If your goal is to get to a point where you’re the 6th through 8th seed with no upside beyond that, we disagree.

I think Rosas disagrees as well. His mentor Morey does everything in his power to get stars and a championship. Originally that was asset collection, which led to Harden, now it’s moving pieces to get more stars. He essentially put everyone on the block this offseason in an attempt to get someone, just hasn’t happened yet; and they’ve obviously been very good the past few years.

Are biggest problem is undoing the damage done by the Thibs regime. It means our “rebuild” might take a couple years longer than it should have.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#91 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:22 am

jpatrick wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I think the goal should be contention/at least top 4 seed in the West. If your goal is to get to a point where you’re the 6th through 8th seed with no upside beyond that, we disagree.

I think Rosas disagrees as well. His mentor Morey does everything in his power to get stars and a championship. Originally that was asset collection, which led to Harden, now it’s moving pieces to get more stars. He essentially put everyone on the block this offseason in an attempt to get someone, just hasn’t happened yet; and they’ve obviously been very good the past few years.

Are biggest problem is undoing the damage done by the Thibs regime. It means our “rebuild” might take a couple years longer than it should have.

My goal is to have the best team we can. Win the chip. I'm just saying if that is all that will make you happy you're likely to be an unhappy fan. I believe in improving a little bit every year. If you do that you will eventually win it all. I despise the very idea of intentionally losing to get better draft picks. That doesn't work almost ever.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#92 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:24 am

Domejandro wrote:I honestly am on the verge of giving up, but we are literally talking about trading Andrew Wiggins, Gorgui Dieng, and two firsts. If literally any other fan outside of this forum saw you guys balking at that, there would be calls to institutionalize the entire forum.

Not wanting to trade Jarrett Culver? That is fine, I understand building for the future. That said, people are going WAY too far in the other direction, to the points of absolute insanity. Minnesota would still have their young pieces, but they would be ON TOP OF Russell Westbrook instead of Andrew Wiggins and Gorgui Dieng.

Agreed. Not wanting to trade Wiggins and Gorgui for Westbrook is insanity. When it comes to how much more than that it's a question of where to draw the line.
shrink
RealGM

Post#93 » by shrink » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:39 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Domejandro wrote:I honestly am on the verge of giving up, but we are literally talking about trading Andrew Wiggins, Gorgui Dieng, and two firsts. If literally any other fan outside of this forum saw you guys balking at that, there would be calls to institutionalize the entire forum.

Agreed. Not wanting to trade Wiggins and Gorgui for Westbrook is insanity. When it comes to how much more than that it's a question of where to draw the line.

Wiggins and Dieng do not actively risk harming KAT’s development. A selfish, prickly, high usage, win-now, 31 year old Westbrook may. Oh, and no worries that in four years, when KAT has the leverage to demand a trade, that a declining 34 year old Westbrook using up $47 mil of MIN’s cap space, won’t affect whether KAT wants to stay? With two less picks?

As for the price tag, you can see many posters from many fan bases that view Westbrook as a highly negative contract.

MIN needs it’s picks, not a declining, win-now player that caps you put for four full years. This isn’t simply about trade value, and two future 1sts might be fair value for Cap Space. (MIN shouldn’t do it anyway - they needs picks more than cap space). But Westbrook is worth far less than cap space. No team would pay him $171 mil over the next four years if he was a free agent.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#94 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:49 am

Oh trust me, nothing more Id want to do than get rid of Wiggins.

its the whole half decade + of pick swaps, and unprotected 1sts teams(Lakers/Clippers) are giving for superstars.

Id give RW/KAT/others probably an 11% chance of winning it all, thats up 11% from where its at now. We'd probably attract a star or 2 ring chasing by overpaying.

Wouldnt have much of a future if it fails and RW bolts and KAT requests a trade in 2022 meanwhile we owe or swap with OKC the next 3 drafts.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#95 » by Neeva » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:54 am

Dude just the fact okc would gladly take wiggins and dieng is all the red flags the wolves need.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,962

Post#96 » by Domejandro » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:55 am

Neeva wrote:

Dude just the fact okc would gladly take wiggins and dieng is all the red flags the wolves need.

They wouldn't, which is why it is so silly that Minnesota fans are balking at it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#97 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:01 am

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Wiggins and Dieng do not actively risk harming KAT’s development. A selfish, prickly, high usage, win-now, 31 year old Westbrook may. Oh, and no worries that in four years, when KAT has the leverage to demand a trade, that a declining 34 year old Westbrook using up $47 mil of MIN’s cap space, won’t affect whether KAT wants to stay? With two less picks?

As for the price tag, you can see many posters from many fan bases that view Westbrook as a highly negative contract.

MIN needs it’s picks, not a declining, win-now player that caps you put for four full years. This isn’t simply about trade value, and two future 1sts might be fair value for Cap Space. (MIN shouldn’t do it anyway - they needs picks more than cap space). But Westbrook is worth far less than cap space. No team would pay him $171 mil over the next four years if he was a free agent.

I didn't say anything about draft picks. The proposal is Wiggins and Dieng for Westbrook. The absolute worst thing that can happen is Westbrook declines or is a bit of a prick. So we dump him. This idea that Westbrook has negative value at 26 Million for two years after being better than free for the first two years is ridiculous. As for where to draw the line beyond Wiggins and Dieng I do not know.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#98 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:03 am

Domejandro wrote:
Neeva wrote:

They wouldn't, which is why it is so silly that Minnesota fans are balking at it.

Two first rounders is a lot, especially if there’s concern we’re going to end up paying 40 million per year to a sub all-star player within a year or two.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#99 » by jscott » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:03 am

shrink wrote:“No” is not a strong enough poll choice for me. How about ...?

HELLLLLLLLL NO!!!!!

I tried to keep it as simple as possible to collect data :wink:
shrink
RealGM

Post#100 » by shrink » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:30 am

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Agreed. Not wanting to trade Wiggins and Gorgui for Westbrook is insanity. When it comes to how much more than that it's a question of where to draw the line.

I didn't say anything about draft picks. The proposal is Wiggins and Dieng for Westbrook. The absolute worst thing that can happen is Westbrook declines or is a bit of a prick. So we dump him. This idea that Westbrook has negative value at 26 Million for two years after being better than free for the first two years is ridiculous. As for where to draw the line beyond Wiggins and Dieng I do not know.

Domejandro has stuck with adding two picks, which he has called “essentially nothing,” and that they “don’t matter much, really.”

As for the absolute worst case with Westbrook, I listed it in my post. He damages KAT’s development and his desire to stay here. If Westbrook acts up, you just don’t simply dump a guy making this much money without giving up even more assets, further reducing KAT’s willingness to stay.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves