RealGM
And1: 4,825

Re: NBA TV just broke some news: Tyus Jones agrees to contract with Memphis 

Post#181 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:56 am

minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cant and1 this tweet enough.

That basically should end up all assumption about Glen overpaying Wiggins. Yes, Glen had that littlу concern about giving max extension to Wiggins. But it was Thibs job and responsibility to take that decision. Rosas just let a local guy, who is beloved by many fans, media, coaching staff and teammates go. It is POBO power and it is his responsibility.

You have your right to be wrong. :D
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#182 » by Rookie-Mistake » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:58 am

I'm glad Rosas' didn't match. As a basketball club we need to stop overpaying for players. Pay your all stars and treat them well, surround them with role players that are happy with the role and money that's reflective for the role. If they start wanting more $$$ then off you go, move in someone that does the same thing.

In Rosas' I trust. But I have been kahned previously...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#183 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:04 am

Domejandro wrote:

I don't dislike Shabazz Napier by any means, but the gap between him and Tyus Jones is monumental. Tyus Jones is a fringe-starter/excellent second-stringer while Shabazz Napier is more-so a fringe second-stringer/excellent third-stringer. The gap in reliability, vision, and (especially) defense is sizable.

We have legitimate concerns with our Point-Guard rotation unless Jeff Teague stays very healthy and Shabazz Napier thrives under Ryan Saunders new offense.

Nice comparison in the link. Numbers don't tell everything, but Napier with a large volume of 3s at mediocre % was better than Tyus smaller volume of 3s at bad percent. Napier much better scoring rate and slightly better eFG%. Tyus better at assists steals and TOs. Based on the total of the numbers I would give very slight edge to Tyus.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#184 » by minimus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 am

I wonder if we could sign&trade Tyus if the price was 25/4 and get at least one SPR.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#185 » by PharmD » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
PharmD wrote:I feel like it was a good move to not match but it's kind of depressing that we're obviously just gonna punt this season.

I think rosas is gambling on point wiggs or point culver to initiate the offense and to run alot of offense through kat.

Haha, i like it. That's the problem with so much organizational turnover; every new regime thinks that Point Wiggins is viable. I'll never forgive Thibs for the 6-18 start with Point Wiggins and Ricky In The Corner. Completely derailed the franchise.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#186 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:57 am

Loyal[]Wolf wrote:
PharmD wrote:I feel like it was a good move to not match but it's kind of depressing that we're obviously just gonna punt this season.

More moves will be made. '

Losing Tyus doesn't make us "punt" the season away. :lol:

Based on everything we’ve done, it seems the most likely direction. We seemed to have prioritized future flexibility over winning this season
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#187 » by CP1981 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:07 pm

If Jeff stays healthy I think you'll guys will be fine at the pg position. It's just crazy the number of games he's missed the last two years. When we had him in Atlanta he barely missed a game. And missed none in Indiana. I don't think its age or nothing. Hopefully he bounces back this year.

Surprised they didnt match Tyus. I think he's a good backup. I think his advanced numbers overrate him to some extent.

Maybe you guys add someone on a cheap deal like Shelvin Mack. I dont know who else is available for cheap in the pg department.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#188 » by jpatrick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Rosas, like Morey, believes you win by having stars on your team. To acquire a star, and you never really know when they are suddenly available, you need to have two things: financial flexibility and assets.

Rosas needs to strip down the roster a bit to get flexibility thanks to Thibs’ incompetence as a GM.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#189 » by PharmD » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:19 pm

CP1981 wrote:If Jeff stays healthy I think you'll guys will be fine at the pg position. It's just crazy the number of games he's missed the last two years. When we had him in Atlanta he barely missed a game. And missed none in Indiana. I don't think its age or nothing. Hopefully he bounces back this year.

Surprised they didnt match Tyus. I think he's a good backup. I think his advanced numbers overrate him to some extent.

Maybe you guys add someone on a cheap deal like Shelvin Mack. I dont know who else is available for cheap in the pg department.

Well also the fact that Teague is agonizing to watch some times. We have no point guard of the future and now can't move Teague without either getting a PG back or tanking the season (unless Culver turns out to be a viable PG). Tyus is good enough that he could have been a transitional starter after trading Teague.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#190 » by minimus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:33 pm

CP1981 wrote:If Jeff stays healthy I think you'll guys will be fine at the pg position. It's just crazy the number of games he's missed the last two years. When we had him in Atlanta he barely missed a game. And missed none in Indiana. I don't think its age or nothing. Hopefully he bounces back this year.

Teague declined athletically due injuries and age like many small guards do. The most evident that he cant create and finish effectively at rim. Unfortunately he does not have other skills (decision making, passing, 3pt shooting, defense) to compensate this decline.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#191 » by Jstock12 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Quite curious about those incentives. If they're 3PT shooting related, then it's quite a nice contract and I think easily worth matching.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#192 » by Killboard » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Loyal[]Wolf wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wolves could have max space by trading Dieng and his 1st round pick ( or Culver), Wiggins, or Culver+1st round pick+Roco.
Less than that is unlikely to do it.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#193 » by Killboard » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:22 pm

PharmD wrote:

Well also the fact that Teague is agonizing to watch some times. We have no point guard of the future and now can't move Teague without either getting a PG back or tanking the season (unless Culver turns out to be a viable PG). Tyus is good enough that he could have been a transitional starter after trading Teague.

If the wolves were picking a PG next draft Tyus would have been perfect to fit along him just like Memphis is going to do with Morant.
Tyus has upside, is very smart for his age and wont demand high minutes. Tyus on 8M+Rookie deal is a cheap upside rotation at PG.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#194 » by Killboard » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:25 pm

jpatrick wrote:Rosas, like Morey, believes you win by having stars on your team. To acquire a star, and you never really know when they are suddenly available, you need to have two things: financial flexibility and assets.

Rosas needs to strip down the roster a bit to get flexibility thanks to Thibs’ incompetence as a GM.

He kept flexibilty but also singed 1 year deals who dont become assets if they are paid market value next offseason.
Leaving out our first round picks the wolves only have Roco, Culver and nothing more left. Maybe Okogie/KBD if the league think they are going to be above average shooters.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#195 » by Killboard » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Loyal[]Wolf wrote:

Based on everything we’ve done, it seems the most likely direction. We seemed to have prioritized future flexibility over winning this season

Tyus by himself doesnt. But when you actually see what they are doing:

Traded a potential PF starter to move up in the draft
Didnt match one of the 2 competent NBA PG from last season (who was on half money than the other).
Didnt use the MLE
Only bringed in Min guys on 1 year deals and Layman for fair value.

To me is pretty clear they are going to develop Culver and punt games for that.
Whether or not it is a good idea, time will tell
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#196 » by _AIJ_ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:31 pm

28mil is too expensive for Tyus. Hes good, but hes not worth that much. If he could shoot and an inch or two taller, id match.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Killboard
Analyst

Post#197 » by Killboard » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:34 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:28mil is too expensive for Tyus. Hes good, but hes not worth that much. If he could shoot and an inch or two taller, id match.
Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Glad we have Teague who is one inch taller and shoot 1.5% better from 3 last season (for more than twice Tyus money). We are going to be a good showcase for his contract year.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#198 » by PharmD » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:39 pm

I feel like this is the rare thread where everyone is right. IMO:

1) We will miss Tyus
2) His contract was too much, and not matching was 'correct'
3) We will be worse without Tyus this year than we would have been by matching. We are prioritizing future flexibility over being as good as possible this season
4) I hate watching Jeff Teague most of the time
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,647

Post#199 » by shrink » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:43 pm

PharmD wrote:I feel like this is the rare thread where everyone is right. IMO:

1) We will miss Tyus
2) His contract was too much, and not matching was 'correct'
3) We will be worse without Tyus this year than we would have been by matching. We are prioritizing future flexibility over being as good as possible this season
4) I hate watching Jeff Teague most of the time

Consensus! Never saw that before! :lol:
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#200 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Killboard wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Loyal[]Wolf wrote:

Tyus by himself doesnt. But when you actually see what they are doing:

Traded a potential PF starter to move up in the draft
Didnt match one of the 2 competent NBA PG from last season (who was on half money than the other).
Didnt use the MLE
Only bringed in Min guys on 1 year deals and Layman for fair value.

To me is pretty clear they are going to develop Culver and punt games for that.
Whether or not it is a good idea, time will tell

I don't know what our plan with Culver is yet, but letting Tyus go when he would have been useful this season and there's not a better option is free agency is a clear indicator that we want financial flexibility going forward.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves