The vision is coming together

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

The vision is coming together 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:54 am

I know Rosas has a lot of skeptics, but I see this coming together very nicely. With this news of going for a max slot next summer, I get what they're doing.

As I posted in the Jones thread, the 2020-21 salary cap is projected at $118 million, last I saw. That would put the rookie extension max slot at $29,500,000. Which means the goal is to get our 2020 cap down from $99,540,316 to $88,500,000. That's actually pretty doable.

It won't take much to clear $11 million off the cap in a year. That actually is pretty reasonable, especially with some of the pieces we have. If we cannot trade him outright, stretching the final year of Dieng's contract actually makes up the entire difference of the money we need to clear for a max slot.

Then you look at some of the pieces we have. At the deadline or next summer, I start looking at where I can take chances on upside. One example I've looked at is something like Covington for Tatum. That trade actually even clears money next year before Tatum's likely extension kicks in, and we'd be talking about adding a 21-year old Tatum to 20-year old Culver and 23-year old Towns, plus whoever we want to bring in with the max slot either in FA or trade (does 23-year old Russell become an option again?).
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Re: The vision is coming together 

Post#2 » by Grubie024 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:16 am

In addition to the 2020 max slot Klomp referred to, it appears switchability and an increased focus on defense are core aspects of Rosas' vision. I think that is becoming clear with the moves/signings we've made since his hire.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#3 » by minimus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:19 am

That is my plan B,C and D

minimus wrote:Hi all,
now after Russell situation and Kawhi decision I realised that we are not afraid of inventing complex trade and we are able to execute them. Now lets try to give some scenarios for this team in near 2-3 yrs. The criterion is simple - "maximise KAT window", i.e. we need a second star that fit well with KAT, both skill wise and chemistry wise. I think next summer we will have a chance to aggressively execute a big deal including our young players, Dieng contract and picks. Teams will not have much cap space to operate. Here is the list of potential trade targets:

Tier one "my bros". Players who have connections with KAT. Absolutely top priority because of age, long contract and chemistry.

Option 1. DLo Russell. GSW must decide between Klay, Curry, Dray Green max contracts. I think Klay will lose lateral quickness and become less efficient defensive player, which makes Curry-Russell-Klay trio very difficult to co-exist. One of them has to go. I assume that it will be Russell. The best option chemistry wise, because he is an elite scorer and can handle the ball. Our chances to get him: >75%.

Option 2. Devin Booker. After PG13 forced his way out of OKC, I expect other players at least to try do the same. The price would be pretty high. Fit really well next to KAT, although defense leaves a lot to be desired. The second best option chemistry wise, because he is an elite shooter and can handle the ball. Our chances to get him: <25%, because of PHO asking price.

Tier two "rising stars". Players who can get first big contract.

Option 1-2. Jason Tatum, Jaylen Brown. BOS already have Kemba, Hayward max contracts. With high probability they will let one of Tatum/Brown duo go. Both have regressed this year and clearly must prove whether they worth max contracts. I would probably try to low ball them with 100/4 type of deals, but it won't happen. For that money they fit well as 2nd option in offense, but need a strong ball handler to get the ball. Our chances to get one of them: <25%, because of Ainge who seems to overrate them.

Option 3. Brandon Ingram. Between Ingram and Lonzo Ball NOP will go for Ingram, unless that disease is similar to Bosh. He fits well as 2nd option in offense, but needs a strong ball handler to get the ball. Our chances to get him: <10%, because NOP will have money.

Option 4. Kyle Kuzma. Combo forward. He fits well as 2nd option in offense, but needs a strong ball handler to get the ball. Our chances to get him: <10%, because LAL will compete for title and match any offer.

Tier three "established stars who can leverage trades". Players who can leave after next season, hence can request a trade. We should consider such trades if we think that our core is good enough to get deep in playoff and compete.

Option 1 Bradley Beal. The third best option chemistry wise, because he is an elite shooter and can handle the ball. The fact that WAS are not listening offers for him now makes me believe that they are not that smart. Our chances to get him: <50%, depending on price.

Option 2 Jrue Holiday. I have many concerns about Zion, It might happen that NOP will need to reset again next year and they will listen offers for Jrue, replacing him with Lonzo. The forth best option chemistry wise, because he is an elite defender, above average scorer and can handle the ball. Our chances to get him: <25%, depending on Zion development.

To sum up. I truly believe that we need to trade Wiggins now, maintain financial flexibility to be able to operate next summer, when only NYK might be able to outbid everyone.

Thoughts?
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#4 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:24 am

If the vision doesn't start including an emphasis on shooting ability I don't know what's further to discuss.
minimus
RealGM

Post#5 » by minimus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am

Jedzz wrote:If the vision doesn't start including an emphasis on shooting ability I don't know what's further to discuss.

Shooting is well paid in current NBA, Korver still has value at 38yr, Redick got new contract etc. Are shootings woes are well documented, but we already have luxury in KAT, he is shooting 40% from 3pt line, despite messy season. I believe that it is more about offensive scheme that was not able to create consistent ball movement and implement constant pressure at rim, when all 5 players can contribute. It was more ISO centric system, not many PnR or handoffs. I wont expect us to be league top 10 teams in 3pta, but we should be at least average. Defense is equally concerning, we could not stop anyone, on perimeter, in transition and in paint. I expect to focus more on defensive rebounding, prioritise getting back in transition rarher than chasing offensive rebounds, more switching, less overhelping.

The vision is coming together, we are getting younger, more versatile, mobile and defensive minded with Bell, Culver, Nowell, Vonleh, Wallace and Layman. Taj, Saric, Tyus, Rose, Deng, AT are all gone. All of them were one dimensional defenders. Now I guess the idea is at least to put on the floor guys who are able to hold thier ground because of defensive versality. Shooting and decision making will remain an issue but Rosas is trying to address this, so sooner or later we will see how. First try was with D-Lo.
minimus
RealGM

Post#6 » by minimus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:39 am

I wonder if Rosas and Tyus contract situation is similar to Thibs and Dieng situation back in 2016. Dieng was considered a defensive minded bigman, loyal to organisation, stats loved him as role player, the market was wild. The difference to me is that Thibs acted like a coach not POBO in that situation, he kind tried to buy player loyalty, because as POBO and HC he must both offer/decline contract and coach same guy every day. Rosas is not tied to anyone in this organisation, he has clearly another vision as POBO. I dont know whether it will bring big success here, but the difference in decision making at top level of organisation is evident.

It might be that in one or two years we will say that Tyus MEM offer was an overpay or maybe Rosas bring here D-Lo or another star and start winning. But I look at Dieng contract and see some similarities.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,837

Post#7 » by Domejandro » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 am

minimus wrote:I wonder if Rosas and Tyus contract situation is similar to Thibs and Dieng situation back in 2016. Dieng was considered a defensive minded bigman, loyal to organisation, stats loved him as role player, the market was wild. The difference to me is that Thibs acted like a coach not POBO in that situation, he kind tried to buy player loyalty, because as POBO and HC he must both offer/decline contract and coach same guy every day. Rosas is not tied to anyone in this organisation, he has clearly another vision as POBO. I dont know whether it will bring big success here, but the difference in decision making at top level of organisation is evident.

It might be that in one or two years we will say that Tyus MEM offer was an overpay or maybe Rosas bring here D-Lo or another star and start winning. But I look at Dieng contract and see some similarities.

Except Tyus is making half as much, it is one less year, we didn't extend him a year ahead of time, and Tyus Jones is a more functional player.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#8 » by Maefteda » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:06 am

Well.. there are no max players who makes sense in 2020 Free Agency though... Maybe Caris LeVert if Nets get a 3rd star somehow...

Trading up and not getting Garland
Waiting out free agency for D'Lo and ending up with nothing
Signing minimums we could've had regardless of cap
Letting Tyus go when he reportedly would've taken 4 years, 25 million

I like how our Summer League team has been playing and I think Rosas has some good ideas and needs time, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't how he envisioned his first draft/free agency would go. He made a couple of bets in hopes of getting something good and lost all of them. I like our signings, but they are minimum players on 1 year deals.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#9 » by shangrila » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:33 am

Maefteda wrote:Well.. there are no max players who makes sense in 2020 Free Agency though... Maybe Caris LeVert if Nets get a 3rd star somehow...

Levert is one, Jaylen Brown and Buddy Hield are two others. Not that any of them are likely but if you can throw a full max at them maybe you can pry them loose.

Either way, having space is flexibility that I'd like this FO to have.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 am

Maefteda wrote:Well.. there are no max players who makes sense in 2020 Free Agency though... Maybe Caris LeVert if Nets get a 3rd star somehow...

Trading up and not getting Garland
Waiting out free agency for D'Lo and ending up with nothing
Signing minimums we could've had regardless of cap
Letting Tyus go when he reportedly would've taken 4 years, 25 million

I like how our Summer League team has been playing and I think Rosas has some good ideas and needs time, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't how he envisioned his first draft/free agency would go. He made a couple of bets in hopes of getting something good and lost all of them. I like our signings, but they are minimum players on 1 year deals.

IMO Culver was a great draft pick and as much as I like Saric Culver was worth that cost. In the long run I believe we end up happy about getting Culver rather than Garland.
Maefteda
Sixth Man
And1: 575

Post#11 » by Maefteda » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:52 am

I'm quite happy with Culver, as he has enough upside to possibly be a good #2 next to Towns.

That said, our PGs last season were Teague/Tyus/Rose and that was seen as a position of need. We watched and saw Garland, D'Lo, Rose and Tyus sign elsewhere and ended up with Teague/Napier/Wallace... I don't think that was Rosas' vision when he took over for us...

It's just hard to see who will be our future PG at this point. No, Rose and Tyus were not the answer long term there either, but both were beloved by the fans, who will now somehow have to get excited for another year of Jeff Teague + Shabazz Napier unless we somehow work out a trade for Westbrook. Most likely it's another year in the lottery and hope we go up to top 4 to get one of the promising PGs in the 2020 draft.

OUT: #11 (NAW, Doumbouya, etc.), #43, Tyus, Taj, Rose, Saric, Tolliver, Deng (likely), Cam
IN: Culver, Nowell, Bell, Vonleh, Layman, Napier, Graham, Wallace

Not sure many would have taken that before the draft/free agency. It all would have been so much better if we had gotten D'Lo, so I can't blame Rosas for going for it, even though it didn't pay off.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#12 » by No-Man » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:25 am

Klomp wrote:Then you look at some of the pieces we have. At the deadline or next summer, I start looking at where I can take chances on upside. One example I've looked at is something like Covington for Tatum. That trade actually even clears money next year before Tatum's likely extension kicks in, and we'd be talking about adding a 21-year old Tatum to 20-year old Culver and 23-year old Towns, plus whoever we want to bring in with the max slot either in FA or trade (does 23-year old Russell become an option again?).

Wait, you think Danny Ainge (who traded Jae Crowder away and has not valued players very well in terms of their value is going to trade you Tatum for RoCo? :o :o :o
minimus
RealGM

Post#13 » by minimus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:30 am

Fischella wrote:
Klomp wrote:Then you look at some of the pieces we have. At the deadline or next summer, I start looking at where I can take chances on upside. One example I've looked at is something like Covington for Tatum. That trade actually even clears money next year before Tatum's likely extension kicks in, and we'd be talking about adding a 21-year old Tatum to 20-year old Culver and 23-year old Towns, plus whoever we want to bring in with the max slot either in FA or trade (does 23-year old Russell become an option again?).

Wait, you think Danny Ainge (who traded Jae Crowder away and has not valued players very well in terms of their value is going to trade you Tatum for RoCo? :o :o :o

Depending on price they might not be able to re-sign both Tatum and Brown.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#14 » by Rookie-Mistake » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 am

Next year's draft is stacked with quality point guards. This one was not. Get some pieces around Towns with great value so we have potential trade chips to either move up in the draft again or keep them.. it's one year.. we can survive with Teague, Culver, Bazz
Maefteda wrote:I'm quite happy with Culver, as he has enough upside to possibly be a good #2 next to Towns.

That said, our PGs last season were Teague/Tyus/Rose and that was seen as a position of need. We watched and saw Garland, D'Lo, Rose and Tyus sign elsewhere and ended up with Teague/Napier/Wallace... I don't think that was Rosas' vision when he took over for us...

It's just hard to see who will be our future PG at this point. No, Rose and Tyus were not the answer long term there either, but both were beloved by the fans, who will now somehow have to get excited for another year of Jeff Teague + Shabazz Napier unless we somehow work out a trade for Westbrook. Most likely it's another year in the lottery and hope we go up to top 4 to get one of the promising PGs in the 2020 draft.

OUT: #11 (NAW, Doumbouya, etc.), #43, Tyus, Taj, Rose, Saric, Tolliver, Deng (likely), Cam
IN: Culver, Nowell, Bell, Vonleh, Layman, Napier, Graham, Wallace

Not sure many would have taken that before the draft/free agency. It all would have been so much better if we had gotten D'Lo, so I can't blame Rosas for going for it, even though it didn't pay off.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
minimus
RealGM

Post#15 » by minimus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Next year's draft is stacked with quality point guards. This one was not. Get some pieces around Towns with great value so we have potential trade chips to either move up in the draft again or keep them.. it's one year.. we can survive with Teague, Culver, Bazz

It is not a good sign when your bench player name is Shabazz
minimus
RealGM

Post#16 » by minimus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Maefteda wrote:Trading up and not getting Garland.

It might be that Garland was not clear candidate, he had injury, questionable defender etc. Also I am not sure if we tried to specifically draft for PG position or shooting. White was avaliable but we drafted Cuvler, i.e. BPA.
Howard Cosell
Rookie
And1: 263

Post#17 » by Howard Cosell » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Yes, a clear vision is coming together. This is what happens with increasing number of empty seats at Target Center....better vision.

Rosas needs to make an impactful move before season begins.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#18 » by TheProdigy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Howard Cosell wrote:Yes, a clear vision is coming together. This is what happens with increasing number of empty seats at Target Center....better vision.

Rosas needs to make an impactful move before season begins.

Thibs, is that you?
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#19 » by Killboard » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Klomp wrote:I know Rosas has a lot of skeptics, but I see this coming together very nicely. With this news of going for a max slot next summer, I get what they're doing.

As I posted in the Jones thread, the 2020-21 salary cap is projected at $118 million, last I saw. That would put the rookie extension max slot at $29,500,000. Which means the goal is to get our 2020 cap down from $99,540,316 to $88,500,000. That's actually pretty doable.

Earlybirdright.com (https://earlybirdrights.com/salary-cap/min/) says 102.6M Commited without counting Nowell (who I think they are going to sign with the MLE for close to a vet min in a multi year deal like they did last season with KBD) who is going to make 900K at very least, for which the wolves would have 103.5M commited with 9 players on the roster with:

1.Andrew Wiggins
2.Karl-Anthony Towns
3.Gorgui Dieng
4.Robert Covington
5.Jarrett Culver
6.Jake Layman
7.Josh Okogie
8.Keita Bates-Diop
9.Jaylen Nowell

Then you have to add 4 roster charges and the salary would go up to 107M.

Spotrac project the cap up to $117, for which we would have 10M left under the cap, and then you have to add the 2020 1st round salary (you can deduce one empty roster charge for him).
delux55
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#20 » by delux55 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 pm

If the vision is a full out tanking of a season.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves