Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Re: Depth Chart 

Post#41 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:00 pm

minimus wrote:
Macwolf527 wrote:It will be difficult to move him(Dieng) if he's not showcased in some manner.

We should completely forget this idea of increasing Dieng trade value. As player he is what he is, there is no market for such players, hence no GM consider him as positive contract.

Honestly, the only thing I'd be worried about is the locker room dynamic. Gorgui is a pretty proud individual, and if I remember right he didn't really take the demotion too well last year. I'd like to think he's a good locker room influence, but he's also a critical one because he's one of the last older vets.

This regime seems to be all about chemistry and cohesion, so pissing off one of the veterans doesn't seem smart. Now if the other guys outplay him in camp, by all means, sit him. But they also need to play him if he's the best option behind Towns. Communication is vital, that's where the last staff screwed the pooch.

It was good to hear yesterday that Dieng has been in the building working out with some of the guys.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#42 » by Dewey » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:01 pm

IMO who finishes games with KAT will be most interesting ... one would assume Teague and Roco, but from there it's gonna be fair game on how BigWig handles this challenge and other matchups.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:10 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Nick K wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:I definitely have Vonleh a tier above Dieng. Their skill level on offense is pretty comparable, but on defense Vonleh has the clear edge. Dieng is just too slow to switch and recover whereas Vonleh excels in those areas.

Not to mention Vonleh is only 23 and Dieng is 29. I think they give Vonleh every opportunity to take his game to the next level this season.

I couldn't agree more!

I'm not convinced with the Cov at the 4 idea full time. I can see it periodically. I'd like to see Vonleh start at the 4. Gorgui is really a 5 to me and a very soft rebounder who still doesn't know what block out means. Drives me nuts. I like Gorguis mid range jumper though. Especially when he's all alone and has 5 seconds to get it up. OK, I'm being a little harsh, but it's all true. Let's see... Gorgui at 16 mil or Vonleh 2 mil?? Let me think about that for a while. :banghead:

I'll just chip in and say that Rosas suggested he sees Vonleh as a "big" and not a "wing" which means he sees Vonleh as a 5.

Important distinction here. Sure there may be times where we run with two bigs, but I'd guess a majority of time will be with the 1-3-1 lineup. Here's how I'd break down the roster:

Wings: Wiggins, Covington, Okogie, Bates-Diop, Culver, Layman, Graham, Nowell
Bigs: Towns, Vonleh, Bell, Dieng
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#44 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Dewey wrote:IMO who finishes games with KAT will be most interesting ... one would assume Teague and Roco, but from there it's gonna be fair game on how BigWig handles this challenge and other matchups.

KAT, Teague, RoCo and Culver are locks to be finishing games. As for who else it's wide open.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#45 » by Dewey » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:05 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Dewey wrote:IMO who finishes games with KAT will be most interesting ... one would assume Teague and Roco, but from there it's gonna be fair game on how BigWig handles this challenge and other matchups.

KAT, Teague, RoCo and Culver are locks to be finishing games. As for who else it's wide open.

Just need a couple guys to own it and go ... Wiggins, Okogie, Vonleh, Bell, Layman, or anyone else ... we are due for 1-2 nice surprises that turn some heads.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#46 » by Killboard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:47 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Nick K wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:I definitely have Vonleh a tier above Dieng. Their skill level on offense is pretty comparable, but on defense Vonleh has the clear edge. Dieng is just too slow to switch and recover whereas Vonleh excels in those areas.

Not to mention Vonleh is only 23 and Dieng is 29. I think they give Vonleh every opportunity to take his game to the next level this season.

I couldn't agree more!

I'm not convinced with the Cov at the 4 idea full time. I can see it periodically. I'd like to see Vonleh start at the 4. Gorgui is really a 5 to me and a very soft rebounder who still doesn't know what block out means. Drives me nuts. I like Gorguis mid range jumper though. Especially when he's all alone and has 5 seconds to get it up. OK, I'm being a little harsh, but it's all true. Let's see... Gorgui at 16 mil or Vonleh 2 mil?? Let me think about that for a while. :banghead:

I'll just chip in and say that Rosas suggested he sees Vonleh as a "big" and not a "wing" which means he sees Vonleh as a 5.

He also said he sees Vonleh as a 4-5 which doesn't fit the Guard-Wings-Big since the take away of it is that 4 and 5 are the same.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:15 pm

Killboard wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Nick K wrote:
I couldn't agree more!

He also said he sees Vonleh as a 4-5 which doesn't fit the Guard-Wings-Big since the take away of it is that 4 and 5 are the same.

He's said 4s and 5s are the same, both classified as bigs. So in a lineup with one point, three wings and one big, where do you think he'd be playing?

Killboard
Analyst

Post#48 » by Killboard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

He's said 4s and 5s are the same, both classified as bigs. So in a lineup with one point, three wings and one big, where do you think he'd be playing?

Shouldn't he have said Vonleh is a 5 then? Why to make a distinction between a 4 and 5?

I think he will play along KAT most of minutes.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#49 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:11 pm

If we are aiming to change the league, let's also start using letters instead of numbers.

Who is the A, the B, and the C?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#50 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:23 pm

The depth chart the way I see it.

Teague/Napier/Wallace
Culver/Okogie/Wiggins
Wiggins/Culver/Layman/RoCo
RoCo/Vonleh/Layman/Dieng/KBD
KAT/Dieng/Bell/Vonleh

It will be very interesting to see who is the first backup off the bench for RoCo at PF. Vonley? Layman? Dieng? I think that is 13 players so Nowell and Graham would have a shot at making the team as well.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,963

Post#51 » by wolves_89 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:33 pm

To start the year my guess at the depth chart:

PG: Teague/Napier/Wallace
Wings: Covington/Wiggins/Culver/Okogie/Layman/Bates-Diop
Bigs: Towns/Dieng/Vonleh/Bell

With Nowell and Reid in the G-League.

I'm guessing that depending on match-ups the team will play 3 wings part of the time and 2 bigs part of the time. I'm also not sure the team will have a set starting line-up. Teague/Wiggins/Covington/Towns will be set as starters, but I could see the 5th starter changing between Culver/Dieng/Vonleh depending on the opponent.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#52 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:49 pm

wolves_89 wrote:To start the year my guess at the depth chart:

PG: Teague/Napier/Wallace
Wings: Covington/Wiggins/Culver/Okogie/Layman/Bates-Diop
Bigs: Towns/Dieng/Vonleh/Bell

With Nowell and Reid in the G-League.

I'm guessing that depending on match-ups the team will play 3 wings part of the time and 2 bigs part of the time. I'm also not sure the team will have a set starting line-up. Teague/Wiggins/Covington/Towns will be set as starters, but I could see the 5th starter changing between Culver/Dieng/Vonleh depending on the opponent.

That's 13 players. Add in Graham and there is still room for Nowell on the roster.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 pm

Killboard wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Shouldn't he have said Vonleh is a 5 then? Why to make a distinction between a 4 and 5?

In the past, most teams have run point, 2 wings, 2 bigs. PF and C are both considered bigs traditionally unless you consider guys like Charles Oakley and Karl Malone wings. That doesn't mean those guys are 5s, it means they're bigs.

Now we're switching to run lineups with a point, 3 wings and a big. Vonleh is a big a heckuva lot more than he is a wing, that's why he called him a big. But in the traditional 1-5 way of thinking of things, he could be a considered a PF or C, a 4 or 5. That's why he's called a big but not necessarily just a 5.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:53 pm

KGdaBom wrote:That's 13 players. Add in Graham and there is still room for Nowell on the roster.

Nowell can be on the roster but still in the G League

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#55 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:18 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:That's 13 players. Add in Graham and there is still room for Nowell on the roster.

Nowell can be on the roster but still in the G League

Hopefully Nowell is too good to go to the G League.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#56 » by Killboard » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:40 pm

Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:
Klomp wrote:He's said 4s and 5s are the same, both classified as bigs. So in a lineup with one point, three wings and one big, where do you think he'd be playing?

In the past, most teams have run point, 2 wings, 2 bigs. PF and C are both considered bigs traditionally unless you consider guys like Charles Oakley and Karl Malone wings. That doesn't mean those guys are 5s, it means they're bigs.

Now we're switching to run lineups with a point, 3 wings and a big. Vonleh is a big a heckuva lot more than he is a wing, that's why he called him a big. But in the traditional 1-5 way of thinking of things, he could be a considered a PF or C, a 4 or 5. That's why he's called a big but not necessarily just a 5.

I get what Rosas said about 1-3-1, just that he said Vonleh is a 4-5 for him. If Rosas thinks Vonleh can play the 4, then he will play the 4.
Lets wait and see.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves