F
4%

Total votes: 55

old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#41 » by old school 34 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:08 pm

Yeah...like both said...he fills a spot on the roster currently that we didn't have to pay for? Maybe he stays....no real financial hit either way specifically on him....if cut probably fill it with another body that would obviously come at a cost & to Shrink's point because of the hard cap...only have so much room there from the hard cap (maybe you waive him &/or deal him for a guy like Patterson w/OKC & a 2nd...gets okc under lux threshold & gives us essentially a slightly more expensive expiring that maybe is a little more useful for us this year?).
Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:We actually need cheap players this year to fill out our roster spots and stay under the lux.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we keep Graham, even if he never suits up.

Also true

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#42 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:We actually need cheap players this year to fill out our roster spots and stay under the lux.

[b]I wouldn’t be surprised if we keep Graham, even if he never suits up[/b].

Also true

This is what I was thinking. He ties up a roster spot that could have gone to Nowell for example.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#43 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:32 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

[b]I wouldn’t be surprised if we keep Graham, even if he never suits up[/b].

Also true

This is what I was thinking. He ties up a roster spot that could have gone to Nowell for example.

We should have no issue cutting Graham (or a couple other players for that matter) if we wanted to keep Nowell. Anyone with 1 year on their contract, making close to the minimum, really shouldn't be making themselves too comfortable.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#44 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Also true

We should have no issue cutting Graham (or a couple other players for that matter) if we wanted to keep Nowell. Anyone with 1 year on their contract, making close to the minimum, really shouldn't be making themselves too comfortable.

I'm not familiar with the ramifications of cutting a player when we are above the cap and adding a player to replace him. Right now IIRC we have not used the MLE at all right? If we sign somebody we could use the MLE I suppose and as long as we don't go over the luxury tax threshold I suppose we are OK. If we sign Nowell and cut Graham I suppose we are OK.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#45 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:53 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:This is what I was thinking. He ties up a roster spot that could have gone to Nowell for example.

I'm not familiar with the ramifications of cutting a player when we are above the cap and adding a player to replace him. Right now IIRC we have not used the MLE at all right? If we sign somebody we could use the MLE I suppose and as long as we don't go over the luxury tax threshold I suppose we are OK. If we sign Nowell and cut Graham I suppose we are OK.

I think you can always sign players for the minimum or sign your own draft picks. The main concern would be the luxury tax, which I believe we probably 8 million away from.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#46 » by Killboard » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:05 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

I think you can always sign players for the minimum or sign your own draft picks. The main concern would be the luxury tax, which I believe we probably 8 million away from.

Naz likely signed using part of the MLE as Keita did last season and is likely Norwell will receive the same treatment. This is to have more control years on them over the standard 2nd round contract.

Graham and Wallace will compete for the 15th spot since not all their money is guaranteed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,856

Post#47 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 pm

We are still $7,715,677 away from the luxury tax, by my calculations.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Also true

Correct. Nothing stopping us from cutting him or even possibly trading him if it comes to that point.

I also continue to believe Nowell could end up on a 2-way contract. Though I was impressed by what I heard today, we still haven't seen him on the court to say for certain he deserves one of the 15 roster spots.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#49 » by Jedzz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:31 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
old school 34 wrote:Less of a concern when I believe the cash we received covered both players contracts...

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

True, but the cash doesn't clear a roster spot or does it?

Guaranteed contract doesn't necessarily mean a guaranteed roster spot. I don't know how we feel about Graham, but there's still a chance he doesn't make the team.

I think i read 2019 wasn't guaranteed for him if he was waived before July 10th. Which is odd, since I also read that at the time of his two year deal with brooklyn it was a fully guaranteed 3.whatever million for two years. Loopholes built into guarantees even.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#50 » by Jedzz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:32 am

Klomp wrote:We are still $7,715,677 away from the luxury tax, by my calculations.

I've got a place to store that, just sayin. Probably blow it all on one player that sits and watches anyway.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#51 » by Jedzz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:35 am

Killboard wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I'm not familiar with the ramifications of cutting a player when we are above the cap and adding a player to replace him. Right now IIRC we have not used the MLE at all right? If we sign somebody we could use the MLE I suppose and as long as we don't go over the luxury tax threshold I suppose we are OK. If we sign Nowell and cut Graham I suppose we are OK.

Naz likely signed using part of the MLE as Keita did last season and is likely Norwell will receive the same treatment. This is to have more control years on them over the standard 2nd round contract.

Graham and Wallace will compete for the 15th spot since not all their money is guaranteed.

Or let Justin Patton come back instead of those two.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,948

Post#52 » by Nick K » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:40 am

I gave us a solid B. We didn't get our franchise PG. That was the bad. OTOH, I liked NAW as much as Culver but Culver will be very good IF he can shoot. I love Nowell. Vonleh is a superb get. He'll be great next to Towns. Bazz will be decent. Layman might surprise. We really helped ouselves. We'll know much more in Feb-March.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:54 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:True, but the cash doesn't clear a roster spot or does it?

Guaranteed contract doesn't necessarily mean a guaranteed roster spot. I don't know how we feel about Graham, but there's still a chance he doesn't make the team.

I think i read 2019 wasn't guaranteed for him if he was waived before July 10th. Which is odd, since I also read that at the time of his two year deal with brooklyn it was a fully guaranteed 3.whatever million for two years. Loopholes built into guarantees even.

You know we're past July 10, right?

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#54 » by Jedzz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:00 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Guaranteed contract doesn't necessarily mean a guaranteed roster spot. I don't know how we feel about Graham, but there's still a chance he doesn't make the team.

Which part of my post says I don't? God you are annoying. You guys were speaking about guaranteed contracts still. I'm pointing out that it's possible it is not guaranteed anymore because of that date and when we got him. But I also don't know because I don't know if he was waived or traded to us or what. I never got the info of the other side of the deal, if it was a deal, or a favor, or a slap in the face.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 am

His 2019-20 salary became guaranteed on July 10.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#56 » by Jedzz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:16 am

Klomp wrote:His 2019-20 salary became guaranteed on July 10.
So it was a trade then, and the cash I heard about must have been over 1.57MM since some are claiming we got him free. Is that right? Wasn't that his remainder owed?

So if we did get enough cash to cover his leftover guaranteed and whatever Napier gets, we still took a hit in the Cap that much. I guess tanking teams can.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#57 » by Jedzz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:21 am

I'll save my grade for after I see what Culver starts out his career looking like. Because they could have traded down if they didn't get the guy they were after and took a PG shortly after, or at least a player proven to shoot at a godsmack level. Something more to guarantee this is a better team the following season. As it is we wait. I wait to score it. And my hope lies in Nowell being so capable that he steals the PG role at some point.The wing depth wall is going to be hard to penetrate. (watch us cut him because we have to pay Graham against the cap)
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,948

Post#58 » by Nick K » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:37 am

Jedzz wrote:I'll save my grade for after I see what Culver starts out his career looking like. Because they could have traded down if they didn't get the guy they were after and took a PG shortly after, or at least a player proven to shoot at a godsmack level. Something more to guarantee this is a better team the following season. As it is we wait. I wait to score it. And my hope lies in Nowell being so capable that he steals the PG role at some point.The wing depth wall is going to be hard to penetrate. (watch us cut him because we have to pay Graham against the cap)

Right! That's it. That's my hope too. That kid is good enough I believe. It's a matter of how long it takes. My only concern on him is how fast he picks up defensive concepts. He played almost all zone in college. BTW, I think we see more zone in the NBA.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#59 » by Killboard » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:53 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Which part of my post says I don't? God you are annoying. You guys were speaking about guaranteed contracts still. I'm pointing out that it's possible it is not guaranteed anymore because of that date and when we got him. But I also don't know because I don't know if he was waived or traded to us or what. I never got the info of the other side of the deal, if it was a deal, or a favor, or a slap in the face.

I think we did it to get Napier in a PG market that was expensive. Additionally we got Graham who is a good defender and an above average 3pt shooter for his career (not a big sample though).

I think I read the Wolves aso got like 3.5M in cash and also could have been smart to keep things fluid with the Warriors, got Bell and good relations in case Russell is traded at some point.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#60 » by Jedzz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Killboard wrote:I think we did it to get Napier in a PG market that was expensive. Additionally we got Graham who is a good defender and an above average 3pt shooter for his career (not a big sample though).

I think I read the Wolves aso got like 3.5M in cash and also could have been smart to keep things fluid with the Warriors, got Bell and good relations in case Russell is traded at some point.

Good reasoning. It's good to hear more about what the deal was.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves