ImageImageImage

Rank the Wolves Off-Season

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Rank the Wolves Off-Season

A
1
2%
B
34
62%
C
14
25%
D
4
7%
F
2
4%
 
Total votes: 55

Jedzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,466
And1: 867
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#61 » by Jedzz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Here's an offseason move that could change things. Get Tacko. Trade Dieng for Tacko and someone Boston wants to unload.
These are my opinions.
KGdaBom
Head Coach
Posts: 7,069
And1: 1,467
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#62 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:42 pm

Jedzz wrote:I'll save my grade for after I see what Culver starts out his career looking like. Because they could have traded down if they didn't get the guy they were after and took a PG shortly after, or at least a player proven to shoot at a godsmack level. Something more to guarantee this is a better team the following season. As it is we wait. I wait to score it. And my hope lies in Nowell being so capable that he steals the PG role at some point.The wing depth wall is going to be hard to penetrate. (watch us cut him because we have to pay Graham against the cap)

You can grade the off season now and change the grade later LOL. Nowell is an SG. I don't see PG potential.
Jedzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,466
And1: 867
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#63 » by Jedzz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:34 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I'll save my grade for after I see what Culver starts out his career looking like. Because they could have traded down if they didn't get the guy they were after and took a PG shortly after, or at least a player proven to shoot at a godsmack level. Something more to guarantee this is a better team the following season. As it is we wait. I wait to score it. And my hope lies in Nowell being so capable that he steals the PG role at some point.The wing depth wall is going to be hard to penetrate. (watch us cut him because we have to pay Graham against the cap)

You can grade the off season now and change the grade later LOL. Nowell is an SG. I don't see PG potential.


I'll leave the door open for the possibility that he's all heart and was under-drafted or overlooked. What else is there to hang hope on? It certainly isn't the new GM stacking 20 wings that can't be counted on to shoot at a high level. The guy passing on a free agent Tacko Falls when he's obviously a perfect 10 minute backup to Kat. The guy that so blatantly told everyone they were after Dlo and didn't expect another team would size up our assets and jump that route. All we have right now are shots in the dark hopes on his pickups of Layman and Nowell or Bell if he ever plays, if you ask me. We are in for two years of typical hell.
These are my opinions.
KGdaBom
Head Coach
Posts: 7,069
And1: 1,467
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#64 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:49 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I'll save my grade for after I see what Culver starts out his career looking like. Because they could have traded down if they didn't get the guy they were after and took a PG shortly after, or at least a player proven to shoot at a godsmack level. Something more to guarantee this is a better team the following season. As it is we wait. I wait to score it. And my hope lies in Nowell being so capable that he steals the PG role at some point.The wing depth wall is going to be hard to penetrate. (watch us cut him because we have to pay Graham against the cap)

You can grade the off season now and change the grade later LOL. Nowell is an SG. I don't see PG potential.


I'll leave the door open for the possibility that he's all heart and was under-drafted or overlooked. What else is there to hang hope on? It certainly isn't the new GM stacking 20 wings that can't be counted on to shoot at a high level. The guy passing on a free agent Tacko Falls when he's obviously a perfect 10 minute backup to Kat. The guy that so blatantly told everyone they were after Dlo and didn't expect another team would size up our assets and jump that route. All we have right now are shots in the dark hopes on his pickups of Layman and Nowell or Bell if he ever plays, if you ask me. We are in for two years of typical hell.

KAT and RoCo is a strong foundation for a winning team. If Culver turns out to be all that (which he might) we are playoff bound.
Jedzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,466
And1: 867
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#65 » by Jedzz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:20 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:You can grade the off season now and change the grade later LOL. Nowell is an SG. I don't see PG potential.


I'll leave the door open for the possibility that he's all heart and was under-drafted or overlooked. What else is there to hang hope on? It certainly isn't the new GM stacking 20 wings that can't be counted on to shoot at a high level. The guy passing on a free agent Tacko Falls when he's obviously a perfect 10 minute backup to Kat. The guy that so blatantly told everyone they were after Dlo and didn't expect another team would size up our assets and jump that route. All we have right now are shots in the dark hopes on his pickups of Layman and Nowell or Bell if he ever plays, if you ask me. We are in for two years of typical hell.

KAT and RoCo is a strong foundation for a winning team. If Culver turns out to be all that (which he might) we are playoff bound.


Go sell lemonade on the street. That simple stuff isn't getting sold to me. I think as highly of RoCo as you do, but only when on the court. What I saw with his injury last season and handling of it concerns me greatly. Besides, with what the team is paying Wiggins, RoCo is probably never looked at as the 2nd and these are problems this new regime has yet to prove they can get past. Just claiming Culver the Rookie could complete a new big three doesn't make it so. I get it, sell yourself as much hope as you need to in order to keep bothering.
These are my opinions.
KGdaBom
Head Coach
Posts: 7,069
And1: 1,467
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#66 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
I'll leave the door open for the possibility that he's all heart and was under-drafted or overlooked. What else is there to hang hope on? It certainly isn't the new GM stacking 20 wings that can't be counted on to shoot at a high level. The guy passing on a free agent Tacko Falls when he's obviously a perfect 10 minute backup to Kat. The guy that so blatantly told everyone they were after Dlo and didn't expect another team would size up our assets and jump that route. All we have right now are shots in the dark hopes on his pickups of Layman and Nowell or Bell if he ever plays, if you ask me. We are in for two years of typical hell.

KAT and RoCo is a strong foundation for a winning team. If Culver turns out to be all that (which he might) we are playoff bound.


Go sell lemonade on the street. That simple stuff isn't getting sold to me. I think as highly of RoCo as you do, but only when on the court. What I saw with his injury last season and handling of it concerns me greatly. Besides, with what the team is paying Wiggins, RoCo is probably never looked at as the 2nd and these are problems this new regime has yet to prove they can get past. Just claiming Culver the Rookie could complete a new big three doesn't make it so. I get it, sell yourself as much hope as you need to in order to keep bothering.

I'm being optimistic, but also realistic. We have already seen how good we can be with a healthy RoCo and Teague. I don't think it is a stretch to think that Culver can be all that and a bag of chips.
Jedzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,466
And1: 867
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#67 » by Jedzz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Being honest, I wanted the team to stay exactly the same except for adding new rookie depth from draft. So that we could see if being more healthy they could return to some of the few high level play moments of last season. Alas, it's all different now.
These are my opinions.
User avatar
Guardian
Ballboy
Posts: 23
And1: 16
Joined: Jul 15, 2019
   

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#68 » by Guardian » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Jedzz wrote:Being honest, I wanted the team to stay exactly the same except for adding new rookie depth from draft. So that we could see if being more healthy they could return to some of the few high level play moments of last season. Alas, it's all different now.


Yeah I think running it back with added rookies was the best course of action. I mean, I wouldn't complain if we landed Russell but other than that I'm okay with it. Give Rosas the tape he needs to evaluate and we'll go after it next off-season if this one doesn't pan out.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 53,227
And1: 10,345
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#69 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 pm

Jedzz wrote:Being honest, I wanted the team to stay exactly the same except for adding new rookie depth from draft. So that we could see if being more healthy they could return to some of the few high level play moments of last season. Alas, it's all different now.

Looking at the contracts the vets got, that would've probably put us in the luxury tax.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
KGdaBom
Head Coach
Posts: 7,069
And1: 1,467
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#70 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:07 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Being honest, I wanted the team to stay exactly the same except for adding new rookie depth from draft. So that we could see if being more healthy they could return to some of the few high level play moments of last season. Alas, it's all different now.

Looking at the contracts the vets got, that would've probably put us in the luxury tax.

It's not our money. We don't care. :o :lol:
User avatar
minimus
Head Coach
Posts: 6,132
And1: 1,365
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#71 » by minimus » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:01 pm

I would say that Rosas as POBO reminds me a crafty experienced hunter. He improved our position as much as possible financialy (angle of fire) put our players in position to succeed (load our best weapons in right direction) and now he is waiting other teams to sink, desperate. I mean I would not be surprised if for instance, CHA, BOS, GSW will struggle significantly.

CHA have bunch of non shooters and no real star.
BOS have a lot of chemistry issues.
GSW depends on Curry and Klay health.

It means that by February deadline our position might be much better in comparison with some other teams. It will very interesting to see how Rosas will "attack" NBA market with some resources such as improved young players, Teague expiring and draft picks.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 39,079
And1: 7,869
Joined: Mar 29, 2006
   

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#72 » by Calinks » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:13 pm

Jedzz wrote:Being honest, I wanted the team to stay exactly the same except for adding new rookie depth from draft. So that we could see if being more healthy they could return to some of the few high level play moments of last season. Alas, it's all different now.

We will see but I don't put us close to the playoffs. West is going to be very competitive. Going into last year I thought there were two elite teams and they like 7 good teams. This season, I don't know if there is an elite team but there are like 8-11 good teams. Going to be a mjor struggle with our roster. Only way I see us making it is if our style of play is just extremely complimentary to our roster and we manage to do something really well.

Like the King with their offense last season (though they still didn't make it). If we could manage to play with a special identity, then maybe we got a chance to squeeze in. Big ask for a team that just had so much turn over though. I don't think its impossible that we could be the worst team in the west even though I think we will be more like third or fourth worst.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
User avatar
Killboard
Veteran
Posts: 2,850
And1: 698
Joined: Jul 16, 2010

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#73 » by Killboard » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:16 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Being honest, I wanted the team to stay exactly the same except for adding new rookie depth from draft. So that we could see if being more healthy they could return to some of the few high level play moments of last season. Alas, it's all different now.

Looking at the contracts the vets got, that would've probably put us in the luxury tax.

It's not our money. We don't care. :o :lol:


To me keeping Taj/Rose was not a problem just for the money they got, but because they werent moving the needle for commit the money they got while were not getting better. Saric and Tyus were not needle movers but neutral players (which has value), but for his age is reasonable to think they will improve. Wolves essentialy flip them and the 11th pick for Culver and Layman. Not saying Tyus was traded for Layman directly obviously, but that was the output when you take a look to the player wolves have commited now.
User avatar
Killboard
Veteran
Posts: 2,850
And1: 698
Joined: Jul 16, 2010

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#74 » by Killboard » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:23 pm

Calinks wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Being honest, I wanted the team to stay exactly the same except for adding new rookie depth from draft. So that we could see if being more healthy they could return to some of the few high level play moments of last season. Alas, it's all different now.

We will see but I don't put us close to the playoffs. West is going to be very competitive. Going into last year I thought there were two elite teams and they like 7 good teams. This season, I don't know if there is an elite team but there are like 8-11 good teams. Going to be a mjor struggle with our roster. Only way I see us making it is if our style of play is just extremely complimentary to our roster and we manage to do something really well.

Like the King with their offense last season (though they still didn't make it). If we could manage to play with a special identity, then maybe we got a chance to squeeze in. Big ask for a team that just had so much turn over though. I don't think its impossible that we could be the worst team in the west even though I think we will be more like third or fourth worst.


I think that if Roco, KAT and Teague have healthy seasons wolves would win around 37-40 games.

If Culver has a ROTY type of season and Wiggins shows signs of life the wolves could be good enough to win 40+ games. Still, I think that if we dont exceed expectations before the ASB we are going to be sellers at the deadline to get a better draft position and more development minutes, for which is expectable some tanking in march/april and end up at 35ish.
User avatar
DaKid
Junior
Posts: 430
And1: 116
Joined: Mar 26, 2017
     

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#75 » by DaKid » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:26 pm

The core pretty much stayed the same. The important pieces are all still here. I liked Jones, rose, saric, Gibson and even tolliver. But if retaining them means multi-year contracts, I'm good with them going elsewhere. None of them were pushing the needle for more wins.

Now if Rosas can rid the team of teague's contract in a positive deal, we'd be sitting pretty good
Jedzz
Analyst
Posts: 3,466
And1: 867
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#76 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Calinks wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Being honest, I wanted the team to stay exactly the same except for adding new rookie depth from draft. So that we could see if being more healthy they could return to some of the few high level play moments of last season. Alas, it's all different now.

We will see but I don't put us close to the playoffs. West is going to be very competitive. Going into last year I thought there were two elite teams and they like 7 good teams. This season, I don't know if there is an elite team but there are like 8-11 good teams. Going to be a mjor struggle with our roster. Only way I see us making it is if our style of play is just extremely complimentary to our roster and we manage to do something really well.

Like the King with their offense last season (though they still didn't make it). If we could manage to play with a special identity, then maybe we got a chance to squeeze in. Big ask for a team that just had so much turn over though. I don't think its impossible that we could be the worst team in the west even though I think we will be more like third or fourth worst.


Phoenix may leapfrog us in a big way if the Wolves can't show better shooting this season. They will have Rubio feeding not only Booker, but now Cam Johnson and Saric. Not to forget Ayton because Rubio sets up for the bigs a lot. That Rubio signing will be huge for them to avoid having to play that Tyler Johnson guy anymore then they have to. I don't know what kind of crazing trade reason they had for bringing in Tyler and paying him 19 Million for 4 assists a game. Imagine that.
These are my opinions.
Dewey
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,925
And1: 328
Joined: May 22, 2001

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#77 » by Dewey » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:04 pm

DaKid wrote:The core pretty much stayed the same. The important pieces are all still here. I liked Jones, rose, saric, Gibson and even tolliver. But if retaining them means multi-year contracts, I'm good with them going elsewhere. None of them were pushing the needle for more wins.

Now if Rosas can rid the team of teague's contract in a positive deal, we'd be sitting pretty good


I'm curious who the shots are gonna come from moving forward.

In terms of who we lost, it was not huge but it's gonna take some work to mesh. I think the key will be player buy-in when it comes to accepting more specific roles. If you want minutes ya gotta make an impact with or without the ball...

I think we're about a .500 team when healthy ... not bad for a young team in the west. We have several unknowns
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 42,244
And1: 3,963
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#78 » by shrink » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:12 pm

We may be starting a rookie. Without veterans, our bench is going to be far weaker than the average team.

We aren’t making the playoffs, but that’s ok. We needed development at multiple positions, and the new young players may show that they have a longterm keeper there.
User avatar
DaKid
Junior
Posts: 430
And1: 116
Joined: Mar 26, 2017
     

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#79 » by DaKid » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:12 pm

Dewey wrote:
DaKid wrote:The core pretty much stayed the same. The important pieces are all still here. I liked Jones, rose, saric, Gibson and even tolliver. But if retaining them means multi-year contracts, I'm good with them going elsewhere. None of them were pushing the needle for more wins.

Now if Rosas can rid the team of teague's contract in a positive deal, we'd be sitting pretty good


I'm curious who the shots are gonna come from moving forward.

In terms of who we lost, it was not huge but it's gonna take some work to mesh. I think the key will be player buy-in when it comes to accepting more specific roles. If you want minutes ya gotta make an impact with or without the ball...

I think we're about a .500 team when healthy ... not bad for a young team in the west. We have several unknowns


Towns and Wiggins will lead the team in fga. Outside of that, the open man gets the shot. If teague is still here to start the season though, I'm sure he will take plenty of shots himself.
User avatar
DaKid
Junior
Posts: 430
And1: 116
Joined: Mar 26, 2017
     

Re: Rank the Wolves Off-Season 

Post#80 » by DaKid » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:15 pm

shrink wrote:We may be starting a rookie. Without veterans, our bench is going to be far weaker than the average team.

We aren’t making the playoffs, but that’s ok. We needed development at multiple positions, and the new young players may show that they have a longterm keeper there.


I have a feeling that unless more moves are made, we are going to see a lot of Teague, Wiggins, Culver, Roco, Towns in the starting lineup with Okogie being the first off the bench

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves