ImageImageImage

The Naz Reid Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,970

Re: The Naz Reid Thread 

Post#121 » by shrink » Sun Feb 5, 2023 3:47 am

Timberwolves reserve center Naz Reid has rejected potential contract extensions, making him a possible trade candidate, per Fischer. Reid is hoping to earn something in the neighborhood of $10MM per year, Fischer says, a price Minnesota may be reluctant to pay after having already invested heavily in its starting frontcourt of Rudy Gobert and Karl-Anthony Towns.

Dane contacted two guys in other agencies about what Reid could get in free agency, and they both said the TaxPayers MLE (starts at about $7 mil), though they thought he’d get multiple years.

$10 mil might be an overpay, but with no news on Towns, the Wolves might want to pay to keep him for the rest of this season. In fact, it gives MIN a chance to add trade matching salary next year if we lose DLo. The issue is that the Wolves would probably be forced to trade Naz this summer, since no opportunity will diminish today’s all time high trade value, and if teams only want to pay him $7 mil, they may lose their trade partners.

I would suggest that if Naz wants $10, give him $10, declining. If other teams would offer four years at $7, $8, $9, $10, maybe Naz takes a $10, $9, $8, 7? Same total money, and Naz gets his money up front, which is better for him. And while teams might need to bite the bullet a little in his first season, Naz on a declining contract, especially before the cap jumps, would be very valuable.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,736

Post#122 » by minimus » Sun Feb 5, 2023 9:31 am

I'd give him full MLE extension. Pay him what he deserved. Keep him this season, trade him later if there is no opportunity for him in MIN
shrink
RealGM

Post#123 » by shrink » Tue Feb 7, 2023 4:43 pm

- Naz Reid will be here after the deadline unless they get a cant miss offer - given his contract, that likely wont happen

- There is mutual interest in signing Naz to an extension, but the money has to be right for Naz to sign it. (I assume the $10m floated)

So hopefully some of you guys that are better with the X’s and O’s can answer this question: Can Naz be a PF?

I understand that every time MIN tries pairing Towns and Naz, it has led to bad stats. Eventually, multiple coaches have decided they can’t coexist, and Naz only gets minutes behind Towns.

Naz thought has been constantly changing. He’s is far from the fat kid he was when he came here 4 years ago - he may be 50 pounds lighter! He also has developed a floor game and even a euro-step, so he isn’t just shooting spot up three’s or dunking.

I don’t have a problem with Naz at $10 mil if he can play PF and be a third big behind Rudy and KAT. If he can’t though, $10 mil is too much for a third string center who gets DNP-CD’s.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,163

Post#124 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 7, 2023 7:38 pm

shrink wrote:
- Naz Reid will be here after the deadline unless they get a cant miss offer - given his contract, that likely wont happen

- There is mutual interest in signing Naz to an extension, but the money has to be right for Naz to sign it. (I assume the $10m floated)

So hopefully some of you guys that are better with the X’s and O’s can answer this question: Can Naz be a PF?

I understand that every time MIN tries pairing Towns and Naz, it has led to bad stats. Eventually, multiple coaches have decided they can’t coexist, and Naz only gets minutes behind Towns.

Naz thought has been constantly changing. He’s is far from the fat kid he was when he came here 4 years ago - he may be 50 pounds lighter! He also has developed a floor game and even a euro-step, so he isn’t just shooting spot up three’s or dunking.

I don’t have a problem with Naz at $10 mil if he can play PF and be a third big behind Rudy and KAT. If he can’t though, $10 mil is too much for a third string center who gets DNP-CD’s.

To the PF question, I don't think so. They've tried it this year with little to no success. However, it's possible that Gobert is the issue in that equation, as he's not really had success next to any other big.

Read on Twitter

More on the last part in a moment...
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#125 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 7, 2023 7:54 pm

shrink wrote:I don’t have a problem with Naz at $10 mil if he can play PF and be a third big behind Rudy and KAT. If he can’t though, $10 mil is too much for a third string center who gets DNP-CD’s.

I think another angle to consider is the longview of the contract.

Let's say we locked him in on a 4-year deal. While Year 1 might feel like the books are squeezed too tight, it opens up flexibility of options going forward. A 4-year deal lines him up with Towns, both one year longer than Gobert. If they think there's a path where Naz might be the every-day starting C during the life of the contract, $10 million AAV would be a bargain at that point. This isn't Gorgui Dieng, who signed a $16 million AAV that began at age 27. Reid would be ending his $10 million AAV contract at age 27. That's not even considering the cap spike of the last 7ish years since Dieng signed that contract.

Having someone like Reid doesn't lock us in to Towns and Gobert. In fact, I think it would give us freedom to look elsewhere if the value lined up. We wouldn't need to get back a C in return.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#126 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 7, 2023 8:34 pm

It's interesting to read this Celtics report, in regards to Payton Pritchard and the rest of their guard depth:

League sources expect the logjam at guard to be something that is resolved over the summer. One source put it succinctly, “They’re trying to win a title. You don’t give away good depth at spots with injury histories. Boston won’t get cute.”

I think it's important to remember we are at a different point as a franchise than we've been at most any time in our history. We have the (relative) team success and we have the depth. It's also smart to be aware that we've got guys in front of Reid who haven't been the most durable. Even once Towns gets back, can we expect him to go full bore every game for his full minutes allotment? Can we expect the same from Gobert? Reid's spot in the depth chart has more significance this year than I think most fans are recognizing.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,736

Post#127 » by minimus » Fri Mar 3, 2023 9:41 am

From Great Person Quotes book

Read on Twitter
YaleS
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#128 » by YaleS » Fri Mar 3, 2023 1:38 pm

Hope we keep him, but I doubt it with the current roster
shrink
RealGM

Post#129 » by shrink » Sun Mar 5, 2023 4:37 am

Can someone explain to me why Naz struggles so much to play PF?
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,432

Post#130 » by younggunsmn » Sun Mar 5, 2023 6:08 am

shrink wrote:Can someone explain to me why Naz struggles so much to play PF?

Because most 4's now are really just big wings. He would be an ideal stretch 4 10 or 15 years ago.
Right now he thrives most as a 5-out center.

I think it has more to with when he plays the 5, he has more room to maneuver on offense, open driving lanes.
When he plays with another big, there's another big guy out there setting picks/drawing rim gravity.

But who knows what the future will bring. He has improved so much, both his body and skillset, I would not be surprised to see him keep adding things to his game and raising his ceiling.

It will be a big loss if we lose him for nothing this summer.
If he is willing to extend for MLE now, I'd just do it and secure the asset and we can always trade that later if we have to.
For him though, it's probably more about playing time/opportunity. It would be for me if I had worked as hard as he has.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 6, 2023 7:51 pm

I just had this feeling come to me today, and it hasn't been the first time I've thought about it. I believe that Naz Red is going to be the primary reason we win a playoff game. (with Towns active and healthy too)

A lot of people talk about how Gobert struggles in the playoffs and can be played off the floor. I think those are the types of situations that were why we kept Naz at the deadline.

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,421

Post#132 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Mar 6, 2023 8:08 pm

Klomp wrote:I just had this feeling come to me today, and it hasn't been the first time I've thought about it. I believe that Naz Red is going to be the primary reason we win a playoff game. (with Towns active and healthy too)

A lot of people talk about how Gobert struggles in the playoffs and can be played off the floor. I think those are the types of situations that were why we kept Naz at the deadline.

That would be cool, but I see the opposite.

Naz got absolutely played off the floor against Memphis last year and I don't see that changing.

Naz excels against weaker back-ups, but in the Playoffs, rotations shorten and starters play more.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 6, 2023 8:23 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Klomp wrote:I just had this feeling come to me today, and it hasn't been the first time I've thought about it. I believe that Naz Red is going to be the primary reason we win a playoff game. (with Towns active and healthy too)

Naz got absolutely played off the floor against Memphis last year and I don't see that changing.

Naz excels against weaker back-ups, but in the Playoffs, rotations shorten and starters play more.

In simpler terms, you're right. And so are the people who say Gobert struggles in the playoffs. But let's look at this deeper.

Why does Rudy Gobert struggle? Because teams go small to go at him. When that happens, that's when Finch needs to counter and turn to Naz.

When Naz gets played off the floor against Memphis because he's too small, we can turn to Gobert.

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,421

Post#134 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Mar 6, 2023 8:34 pm

Klomp wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

In simpler terms, you're right. And so are the people who say Gobert struggles in the playoffs. But let's look at this deeper.

Why does Rudy Gobert struggle? Because teams go small to go at him. When that happens, that's when Finch needs to counter and turn to Naz.

When Naz gets played off the floor against Memphis because he's too small, we can turn to Gobert.

Definitely possible, but I'm not sure that "sweet spot" is actually there.

Naz is a Center in a PF body. So if a team counters with athletic PF types, Naz will continue to struggle.

What we need is for teams to counter us with small, slow, unskilled Centers and then Naz can really show them what's up!
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Post#135 » by Battletrigger » Tue Mar 7, 2023 4:23 pm

Did you see the next lottery number? I'd be very useful for me
shrink
RealGM

Post#136 » by shrink » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:25 pm

So Dane Moore had an insight that I never would have thought of.

Naz could be our Jamaal Crawford. Sixth man, offense off the bench!

I have been amazed at how productive Naz has been, at least in the first two games with Towns back. In the past, Naz’ numbers next to another center have always been bad. But as Dane pointed out, these have been three years where they’d try a couple minutes, Naz would make a mistake, and the coach would pull him. Lots of total minutes for relevant numbers, but if each time is just three minutes, a rhythm player like Naz is bound to struggle. In fact, even early this season this was happening, so much so that Naz even got some DNP-CDs with Gobert and Towns healthy.

These last two games have been eye-opening. For the first time, Naz has been given extended minutes with a center on the floor, and he’s looked fantastic. I would go so far as to say, we wouldn’t have even stayed competitive without him. Finch had him come in, and just be himself for long runs, and it worked great.

So my question is this. We often look at these instant offense sixth men as scoring guards. Could we see Naz do this role at 6-10? I have to imagine playing big for 48 minutes would start to wear down the opposing big men, and especially their big man bench.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,034

Post#137 » by wolves_89 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:36 pm

shrink wrote:So Dane Moore had an insight that I never would have thought of.

I have been amazed at how productive Naz has been, at least in the first two games with Towns back. In the past, Naz’ numbers next to another center have always been bad. But as Dane pointed out, these have been three years where they’d try a couple minutes, Naz would make a mistake, and the coach would pull him. Lots of times, but if each time is just three minutes, a rhythm like Naz is bound to struggle. In fact, even early this season this was happening, so much so that Naz even got some DNP-CDs with Gobert and Towns healthy.

These last two games have been eye-opening. For the first time, Naz has been given extended minutes with a center on the floor, and he’s looked fantastic. I would go so far as to say, we wouldn’t have even stayed competitive without him. Finch had him come in, and just be himself for long runs, and it worked great.

So my question is this. We often look at these instant offense sixth men as scoring guards. Could we see Naz do this role at 6-10? I have to imagine playing big for 48 minutes would start to wear down the opposing big men, and especially their big man bench.

I've been coming around to that idea as well. At the start of the season, I envisioned Nowell as being the primary scorer off the bench, but his poor shooting and terrible defense have pretty much lost him his rotation spot (and probably a new contract with the team). Right now, I'd rank Naz as the third best offensive player on the Wolves. He's been largely carrying the team on offense during the bench minutes.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:16 pm

shrink wrote:So Dane Moore had an insight that I never would have thought of.

I have been amazed at how productive Naz has been, at least in the first two games with Towns back. In the past, Naz’ numbers next to another center have always been bad. But as Dane pointed out, these have been three years where they’d try a couple minutes, Naz would make a mistake, and the coach would pull him. Lots of total minutes for relevant numbers, but if each time is just three minutes, a rhythm player like Naz is bound to struggle. In fact, even early this season this was happening, so much so that Naz even got some DNP-CDs with Gobert and Towns healthy.

For a team that has size as part of its identity, it actually makes a lot of sense. And on the starters, Karl kinda will have the same role as the instant offense guy you can play through.

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#139 » by urinesane » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:47 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
Klomp wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:

Definitely possible, but I'm not sure that "sweet spot" is actually there.

Naz is a Center in a PF body. So if a team counters with athletic PF types, Naz will continue to struggle.

What we need is for teams to counter us with small, slow, unskilled Centers and then Naz can really show them what's up!

He excels against smaller centers, so if they counter with athletic PF types we go back to big ball and bully em.

Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,563

Post#140 » by Note30 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:40 am

We need to resign Naz
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves