ImageImageImage

The Naz Reid Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Re: The Naz Reid Thread 

Post#21 » by packforfreedom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:49 am

minimus wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Reid has kind of high center of gravity?

he has. I think that's part of his rebounding struggles. Great rebounders often have a low center of gravity.

but speaking of gravity (this time in terms of how multiple defender are focused on one player): Reid has that as well. It's because of his ballhandling skills. Bigmen who put the ball on the floor tend to have high gravity. Combine this with passing skills and the ability to score and you have a weapon on offense.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#22 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Worm Guts wrote:As a big, if you can’t rebound or play defense, it’s pretty tough to hold a spot in the rotation.

Then he will rebound and play defense. Some say KAT doesn't play defense
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#23 » by Dewey » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:04 pm

packforfreedom wrote:
minimus wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Reid has kind of high center of gravity?

he has. I think that's part of his rebounding struggles. Great rebounders often have a low center of gravity.

but speaking of gravity (this time in terms of how multiple defender are focused on one player): Reid has that as well. It's because of his ballhandling skills. Bigmen who put the ball on the floor tend to have high gravity. Combine this with passing skills and the ability to score and you have a weapon on offense.

If his pt depends on rebounding he will likely rebound better.

Lots of bigs dont develop great positioning cause they are always bigger than the other guy growing up, and if that aau coach and college coach were more about scoring (which is common), then he simply has not been held accountable. He's thick enough and strong enough, but he's gonna have to learn to outwork his opponent enough to get on the floor and stay on the floor
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,918

Post#24 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Dewey wrote:Lots of bigs dont develop great positioning cause they are always bigger than the other guy growing up, and if that aau coach and college coach were more about scoring (which is common), then he simply has not been held accountable. He's thick enough and strong enough, but he's gonna have to learn to outwork his opponent enough to get on the floor and stay on the floor

He had a major growth spurt in middle school that moved him from 5'10" to 6'7" between 7th and 9th grade. So he's really only had like 4 years as the bigger guy.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#25 » by Jedzz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:04 pm

Klomp wrote:
Dewey wrote:Lots of bigs dont develop great positioning cause they are always bigger than the other guy growing up, and if that aau coach and college coach were more about scoring (which is common), then he simply has not been held accountable. He's thick enough and strong enough, but he's gonna have to learn to outwork his opponent enough to get on the floor and stay on the floor

He had a major growth spurt in middle school that moved him from 5'10" to 6'7" between 7th and 9th grade. So he's really only had like 4 years as the bigger guy.

One day someone needs to write a book that documents what all these kids that have these huge growth spurts were up to, or not up to, during the time of their insane growth spells. So many examples of short parents with Towers for children. I can imagine there is a lot of kids growing up playing basketball that would love to emulate every little thing some of these guys did to attempt to earn the growth spurt as well.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#26 » by Nick K » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:06 pm

I like Naz. He has real skills. The problem is he's heavy and out of shape. He needs refinement. I'd like to see him spend an entire season on our G league team where he gets plenty of work in under trained eyes. He really needs that because up here he will sit and not get the reps.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#27 » by gandlogo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Nick K wrote:I like Naz. He has real skills. The problem is he's heavy and out of shape. He needs refinement. I'd like to see him spend an entire season on our G league team where he gets plenty of work in under trained eyes. He really needs that because up here he will sit and not get the reps.

But up here he'd also get a ton of practice reps against KAT and Dieng - nothing like them in Iowa or any part of the G League. Despite what AI thinks, I think practice is way more important to development than playing games. Hopefully he gets an appropriate mixture of both.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:34 pm

gandlogo wrote:
Nick K wrote:I like Naz. He has real skills. The problem is he's heavy and out of shape. He needs refinement. I'd like to see him spend an entire season on our G league team where he gets plenty of work in under trained eyes. He really needs that because up here he will sit and not get the reps.

But up here he'd also get a ton of practice reps against KAT and Dieng - nothing like them in Iowa or any part of the G League. Despite what AI thinks, I think practice is way more important to development than playing games. Hopefully he gets an appropriate mixture of both.

NBA teams don't get as much actual practice time as one might think. Usually it's only when there's multiple days off between games.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#29 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:14 pm

I think given his age and offensive skill a cheap, team friendly, three or four year deal with team options might be a good idea just to maintain Bird rights should we want them. This year and next not a big deal taking on a minor salary. I don't think he will amount to anything, I think he is a low motivation player, but better to cover your losses and not lose big.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#30 » by Nick K » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:16 am

gandlogo wrote:

Sorry but saying that is ridiculous. Please don't say that again.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#31 » by Worm Guts » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:20 am

Nick K wrote:
gandlogo wrote:

I don’t think it’s ridiculous, it depends on what part of your game needs work. Certain skills need practice.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#32 » by gandlogo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 am

Nick K wrote:
gandlogo wrote:

Read what I actually said. Development, as in individual player development, is best done in practice. Even the use of video from games is part of development done as part of practice and usually one of the most important teaching tools available. Hell, football and basketball often video the practices to go back and learn from those sessions as well. And last time I checked skills like dribbling and shooting are honed in practice and applied in games. Even as a high schooler Larry Bird understood this simple concept and would shoot 500 free throws everyday before school. I’m guessing that helped him become a better in game shooter. So despite your attempt at using manners, I will never back away from my assertion.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:04 am

BTW Rosas has already gone on record that if young guys aren't playing on the NBA club, they're gonna be in the G League.

Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#34 » by Slim Tubby » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:49 pm

Klomp wrote:BTW Rosas has already gone on record that if young guys aren't playing on the NBA club, they're gonna be in the G League.

Good...as it should be. You can't really develop with wood blisters in your butt.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:05 am

Everyone is excited about the big man from LSU, and rightfully so. Reid showed a little bit of everything in Vegas, from fancy footwork to a natural 3-point stroke and some toughness inside.

The former quarterback can pass it, too.

“That’s still in my game,” Reid said with a smile. “I look for others before I look for scoring. I’m more unselfish.”

https://theathletic.com/1079154/2019/07/16/take-it-or-leave-it-the-glimpses-of-the-timberwolves-that-were-gained-in-las-vegas/

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#36 » by minimus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Multi-year? Great! I thought that he is on one year two way deal.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#37 » by minimus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Good job Rosas! Exactly these type of deals I expect from him
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,604

Post#38 » by shrink » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Nice. Good introductory interview too. All three sound good.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Post#39 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Hope it pans out. Does this mean we have another two way contract to spend now? Who do you think will get it? One of the summer league guys?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#40 » by Dewey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:20 pm

I like it ... has some nice skills. Give him a guarenteed year to see if he will commit to conditioning needed in NBA, else cut him loose next summer...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves