Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,345

Re: We have a glut of bigs 

Post#101 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:30 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think Bates-Diop will spend a lot of time in Iowa

First I've heard of Iowa talk. Minimus sees this he will have a heart attack.

Already had

I'm just trying to be realistic.

Rosas has said multiple times that young guys out of the rotation will spend time playing games for Iowa rather than sitting in a suit on the bench. So the likelihood is that if he's not in the regular rotation, he'll probably see G League time. I even think Okogie Iowa time is possible.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
minimus
Head Coach
And1: 1,365

Post#102 » by minimus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Killboard wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Killboard wrote:
I think he will have a shot to be in the rotation, but he has to earn it, specially if he takes (and makes) the open 3. If he becomes good at that, the could take playing time from other rotation players. If he does not, is likely he end ups in Iowa.

Agree, and yet if he reaches the 40% mark on 3s they might cut him. :banghead:

I would say that if he isnt above 34% he is not in the roster next season.

I guess TOR should have waived Siakam then
Killboard
Veteran
And1: 698

Post#103 » by Killboard » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:01 pm

minimus wrote:
Killboard wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Agree, and yet if he reaches the 40% mark on 3s they might cut him. :banghead:

I would say that if he isnt above 34% he is not in the roster next season.

I guess TOR should have waived Siakam then

If Siakam had not shown to be above average at anything in two years they could have.
wolves_89
Analyst
And1: 1,445

Post#104 » by wolves_89 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:23 pm

If everyone's healthy there really isn't much opportunity for Bates-Diop. If you figure there are 144 minutes total between SG-SF-PF you have to expect that 110-120 minutes are going to Wiggins-Covington-Culver-Okogie. Layman is going to get minutes and there are going to be plenty of times where the team plays two bigs, which basically means the rotation minutes are accounted for. I would say that KBD is the next guy in line and will get his chance once guys start to miss time with injuries, but I could easily see him spending time in Iowa especially at the start of the year.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:24 am

I know everyone's paranoid about shooting, but I don't get why people believe Vonleh is more likely than Bell to have PF flexibility.

Just looking at the measurements from when they came into the league, Vonleh is taller (by an inch), longer (by over four inches) and heavier (by almost 25 lbs). Athletically, Bell tested better in the lane agility, shuttle, sprint and vertical drills.

Personally, those measurables tell me that Vonleh would be the better C, while Bell has the quickness and athleticism to be the better of the two on the perimeter. I don't think we want Towns defending on the perimeter, so whoever he's paired with will have to have that skill set so the defense doesn't get exposed.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
wildvikeswolves
Sixth Man
And1: 558

Post#106 » by wildvikeswolves » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:46 am

If it’s my choice, Gorgui’s chillin on the bench. I’d rather give minutes to Vonleh, Bell, Layman, and KBD. Especially Vonleh and Bell so we can see if they can touch there potential.

I know KAT can’t play all minutes at C, so go small and put Vonleh or Bell there to create minutes for Layman, KBD, RoCo and the other 3/4 possibilities. We know what Gorgui is at this point and it’s not the possible difference maker that Bell or Vonleh could be.
KGdaBom
Head Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#107 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:15 am

wildvikeswolves wrote:If it’s my choice, Gorgui’s chillin on the bench. I’d rather give minutes to Vonleh, Bell, Layman, and KBD. Especially Vonleh and Bell so we can see if they can touch there potential.

I know KAT can’t play all minutes at C, so go small and put Vonleh or Bell there to create minutes for Layman, KBD, RoCo and the other 3/4 possibilities. We know what Gorgui is at this point and it’s not the possible difference maker that Bell or Vonleh could be.

Before Taj came Gorgui was playing at a very high level. Don't be certain he can't play at a high level once again.
shangrila
General Manager
And1: 1,680

Post#108 » by shangrila » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:54 am

KGdaBom wrote:
wildvikeswolves wrote:If it’s my choice, Gorgui’s chillin on the bench. I’d rather give minutes to Vonleh, Bell, Layman, and KBD. Especially Vonleh and Bell so we can see if they can touch there potential.

Before Taj came Gorgui was playing at a very high level. Don't be certain he can't play at a high level once again.

Offensively. Defensively the Dieng-Towns pairing was a trainwreck.
TheZachAttack
Senior
And1: 467

Post#109 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:12 pm

Just got an athletic subscription (it's worth $3/month) and came across an interesting tidbit to those questioning the idea of Covington playing the 4 or at least playing the 4 in anything other than small spurts:

"Covington also has experience as a stretch four. Early in his career, for a terrible, 10-72 Sixers team in 2015-16, he played 73 percent of his 1,903 minutes at power forward, jacked up 9.1 treys per 36 minutes while making 35.3 percent of them, and improved Philadelphia’s defense more than 3 points per 100 possessions when he was on the court."

Covington has not only played the stretch 4 role before, but he averaged 21 minutes a game as a stretch 4 (and another 7-8 minutes as a 3) for the Sixers in 2015-16. I think that is a baseline for what we can expect Covington's playing time to look like for the Wolves at the 4 position.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:36 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:Just got an athletic subscription (it's worth $3/month) and came across an interesting tidbit to those questioning the idea of Covington playing the 4 or at least playing the 4 in anything other than small spurts:

"Covington also has experience as a stretch four. Early in his career, for a terrible, 10-72 Sixers team in 2015-16, he played 73 percent of his 1,903 minutes at power forward, jacked up 9.1 treys per 36 minutes while making 35.3 percent of them, and improved Philadelphia’s defense more than 3 points per 100 possessions when he was on the court."

Covington has not only played the stretch 4 role before, but he averaged 21 minutes a game as a stretch 4 (and another 7-8 minutes as a 3) for the Sixers in 2015-16. I think that is a baseline for what we can expect Covington's playing time to look like for the Wolves at the 4 position.

I struggle with just looking up those numbers (and I'm a big fan of Basketball Reference, where the stat came from). These guys don't actually know how to classify many of these tweener types. For example, I think Covington played a lot next to Jerami Grant that year. Judging by how the percentages break down, BBR probably classified Grant as the SF and Covington at PF when that happened. I don't know that I'd agree with those designations.

Don't get me wrong, I know he played the position. I just don't think he did as often as they're saying.

TheZachAttack
Senior
And1: 467

Post#111 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:47 pm

Klomp wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:Just got an athletic subscription (it's worth $3/month) and came across an interesting tidbit to those questioning the idea of Covington playing the 4 or at least playing the 4 in anything other than small spurts:

I struggle with just looking up those numbers (and I'm a big fan of Basketball Reference, where the stat came from). These guys don't actually know how to classify many of these tweener types. For example, I think Covington played a lot next to Jerami Grant that year. Judging by how the percentages break down, BBR probably classified Grant as the SF and Covington at PF when that happened. I don't know that I'd agree with those designations.

Don't get me wrong, I know he played the position. I just don't think he did as often as they're saying.

Thanks for that context. That's interesting and could be true. I was going off and trusting that analysis that I read. That casts some doubt ultimately into my previous post.
old school 34
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#112 » by old school 34 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:05 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Thanks for that context. That's interesting and could be true. I was going off and trusting that analysis that I read. That casts some doubt ultimately into my previous post.
Could have a similar situation this season if say Layman & Roco share the floor together @ the 3&4.....in many cases, I'd imagine it becomes almost matchup based as to who's the 3 & who's the 4?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves