Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Re: Constructing the Timberwolves rotation 

Post#161 » by minimus » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:05 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Royce White is excatly that type of combo PF/SF who I would look to improve our roster. Too bad his off court issues make his unplayble.
minimus
RealGM

Post#162 » by minimus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 am

Josh Okogie has improved his touch around basket. A very encouraging sign.
minimus
RealGM

Post#163 » by minimus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 am

Now they run KAT through screens in order to create him a scoring opportunites, just like a guard. Interesting. I wonder if a good, creative passer would be able to feed KAT for 2-3 easy baskets every game.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#164 » by Dewey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:58 am

minimus wrote:Now they run KAT through screens in order to create him a scoring opportunites, just like a guard. Interesting. I wonder if a good, creative passer would be able to feed KAT for 2-3 easy baskets every game.

Ya so ... we can’t just post up him up? Maybe keep him closer to the basket and get some offensive boards? Can always pick and pop. Next we’ll have point-Kat. Sounds like we need a big MAN under the basket ...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
minimus
RealGM

Post#165 » by minimus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:03 pm

Dewey wrote:
minimus wrote:Now they run KAT through screens in order to create him a scoring opportunites, just like a guard. Interesting. I wonder if a good, creative passer would be able to feed KAT for 2-3 easy baskets every game.

Ya so ... we can’t just post up him up? Maybe keep him closer to the basket and get some offensive boards? Can always pick and pop. Next we’ll have point-Kat. Sounds like we need a big MAN under the basket ...

From what I see it is about versality in offense, not about what method is better. Let me explain:

1) Against Adams, Jokic, Drummond we should run PnR and PnP. Give him ball on the move in order to make KAT able to use his quickness and ballhandling to beat defenses
2) Against small bigs we should feed KAT in the post
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,571

Post#166 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:45 pm

minimus wrote:
Dewey wrote:

From what I see it is about versality in offense, not about what method is better. Let me explain:

1) Against Adams, Jokic, Drummond we should run PnR and PnP. Give him ball on the move in order to make KAT able to use his quickness and ballhandling to beat defenses

Also remember Towns is actually one of the smaller bigs in the league. He's not 7'1" like Embiid or 270 lbs like Adams or Gasol, he's actually at a physical disadvantage quite often.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#167 » by Mattya » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:27 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:
Dewey wrote:Ya so ... we can’t just post up him up? Maybe keep him closer to the basket and get some offensive boards? Can always pick and pop. Next we’ll have point-Kat. Sounds like we need a big MAN under the basket ...

Also remember Towns is actually one of the smaller bigs in the league. He's not 7'1" like Embiid or 270 lbs like Adams or Gasol, he's actually at a physical disadvantage quite often.

Plus KAT bringing the rim defenders out of the paint is valuable, the team just doesn't have any other player that can create offense at an efficient enough level for themselves or others going to the rim.
minimus
RealGM

Post#168 » by minimus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Mattya wrote:
Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:

Plus KAT bringing the rim defenders out of the paint is valuable, the team just doesn't have any other player that can create offense at an efficient enough level for themselves or others going to the rim.

Yet fans want Ryan to play two big lineup again.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#169 » by Mattya » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:09 pm

minimus wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Klomp wrote:Also remember Towns is actually one of the smaller bigs in the league. He's not 7'1" like Embiid or 270 lbs like Adams or Gasol, he's actually at a physical disadvantage quite often.

I think we need a strong PF who can rebound and space the floor, but moving KAT to the 4 would be a big mistake on both sides of the ball.
minimus
RealGM

Post#170 » by minimus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:11 am

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:
Dewey wrote:Ya so ... we can’t just post up him up? Maybe keep him closer to the basket and get some offensive boards? Can always pick and pop. Next we’ll have point-Kat. Sounds like we need a big MAN under the basket ...

That is downside of playing smallball. On the other hand we can put 5 man unit where every player on the floor can attack the basket. This would be a huge advantage. I only wish that KBD improves defense, rebounding and become that that of versatile PF that we need.

KAT - can score from 3pt, slash, postup smaller opponents. Inconsistent defender
KBD - can score from 3pt, slash, postup smaller opponents. Inconsistent defender, rebounder does not provide weakside help, doesnot always boxout
RoCo - can score from 3pt, slash. Elite defender
Culver - can score from 3pt, slash. Solid defender. Awful shooter
Wiggins - can score from 3pt, slash, postup smaller opponents. Inconsistent defender
minimus
RealGM

Post#171 » by minimus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:14 am

Mattya wrote:
minimus wrote:
Mattya wrote:

I think we need a strong PF who can rebound and space the floor, but moving KAT to the 4 would be a big mistake on both sides of the ball.

I would be okay with PJ Tucker type of player. I hope Rosas can find such player within undrafted or gleague guys. Heck, when KBD starts to understand what is required to play as big, i.e. boxout and rotate, we will be much better.
minimus
RealGM

Post#172 » by minimus » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:35 am

One question. Do you project KBD more PF(stretch 4) or SF (big wing)? Early this season he was not successful as a false PF, failed to provide consistent paint protection, rebounding and weak side rotation Last game against OKC Westbrook killed him in 1vs1. Probably no one could stop Westbrook without help of big. Still I wish Keita shows more promise on defensive end, because he is smart, versatile player in offense. Maybe he is okay as backup wing, because he can defend both backup PF and SF position, but not starting lineup level player?
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#173 » by Dewey » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:19 pm

minimus wrote:One question. Do you project KBD more PF(stretch 4) or SF (big wing)? Early this season he was not successful as a false PF, failed to provide consistent paint protection, rebounding and weak side rotation Last game against OKC Westbrook killed him in 1vs1. Probably no one could stop Westbrook without help of big. Still I wish Keita shows more promise on defensive end, because he is smart, versatile player in offense. Maybe he is okay as backup wing, because he can defend both backup PF and SF position, but not starting lineup level player?

I don’t forecast him at all ... just a deep bench guy if he sticks
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
minimus
RealGM

Post#174 » by minimus » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:25 pm

Dewey wrote:
minimus wrote:One question. Do you project KBD more PF(stretch 4) or SF (big wing)? Early this season he was not successful as a false PF, failed to provide consistent paint protection, rebounding and weak side rotation Last game against OKC Westbrook killed him in 1vs1. Probably no one could stop Westbrook without help of big. Still I wish Keita shows more promise on defensive end, because he is smart, versatile player in offense. Maybe he is okay as backup wing, because he can defend both backup PF and SF position, but not starting lineup level player?

IMO he is too good for deep bench guy. He is more athletic than a year ago, better shooter than a year ago.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,961

Post#175 » by shrink » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:24 pm

minimus wrote:
Dewey wrote:

IMO he is too good for deep bench guy. He is more athletic than a year ago, better shooter than a year ago.

I feel KDB has limitations both as a SF or as a PF. The reason he gets minutes here is because we don’t play two bigs, and because he can switch. I agree that his brain is his biggest asset, and that will keep him in the NBA, but just in minor roles.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Post#176 » by Grubie024 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:45 pm

minimus wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Klomp wrote:Also remember Towns is actually one of the smaller bigs in the league. He's not 7'1" like Embiid or 270 lbs like Adams or Gasol, he's actually at a physical disadvantage quite often.

Well KAT clearly isn’t cutting it on the defensive end. At this rate he’d need historically good offensive numbers to be a net positive, so I can see why people want to pair him with another big to shore up the defense.
As for KBD at PF, I’m not seeing it. Would be great if that worked out, but the early returns haven’t been good, and I don’t see much promise either. I see him as a SF.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#177 » by Mattya » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:11 pm

Grubie024 wrote:
minimus wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Well KAT clearly isn’t cutting it on the defensive end. At this rate he’d need historically good offensive numbers to be a net positive, so I can see why people want to pair him with another big to shore up the defense.
As for KBD at PF, I’m not seeing it. Would be great if that worked out, but the early returns haven’t been good, and I don’t see much promise either. I see him as a SF.

KAT is good defending at the rim, the problem is when he is defending on the perimeter or when he has to step up on the pick and rolls. Moving him to PF just makes him more of a liability on defense.
post0115
Junior
And1: 35

Post#178 » by post0115 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:06 am

[quote="minimus"][quote="Klomp"][quote="minimus"]

2) Against small bigs we should feed KAT in the post[/quote]
Also remember Towns is actually one of the smaller bigs in the league. He's not 7'1" like Embiid or 270 lbs like Adams or Gasol, he's actually at a physical disadvantage quite often.[/quote]

That is downside of playing smallball. On the other hand we can put 5 man unit where every player on the floor can attack the basket. This would be a huge advantage. I only wish that KBD improves defense, rebounding and become that that of versatile PF that we need.

KAT - can score from 3pt, slash, postup smaller opponents. Inconsistent defender
KBD - can score from 3pt, slash, postup smaller opponents. Inconsistent defender, rebounder does not provide weakside help, doesnot always boxout
RoCo - can score from 3pt, slash. Elite defender
Culver - can score from 3pt, slash. Solid defender. Awful shooter
Wiggins - can score from 3pt, slash, postup smaller opponents. Inconsistent defender[/quote]

That is the starting 5 I have been wanting for a while. KBD is a great glue guy to have in the starting 5. Smart, solid shooting, great defense, and he and Roco can clip back and forth at the 3 and 4 based on matchups. KBD's length is also a plus. Another positive is it adds Napier to the bench where his scoring is greatly needed. The only other big item I would add to this is to take KAT out of the first quarter early (Dieng sub) and have KAT start with Napier and shooters as the lineup for the start of Q2. I would like to see more of Naz Reid, but not sure on that one right now as they refuse to play Dieng and KAT together.
minimus
RealGM

Post#179 » by minimus » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:28 am

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM

Post#180 » by minimus » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Bertans. Becomes a UFA this off season. Bring him in.
shrink wrote:WCS is a Center, and he can’t shoot. He hasn’t even attempted a three pointer this system.

As long as Rosas and Saunders are committed to only playing one big, they need a PF who can shoot.

I I Have a Dream. We draft Tyrese Haliburton, sign Bertans to 45mil/3yrs contract.Run KAT-Bertans-RoCo-Wiggins-Haliburton lineup

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves