Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Re: Constructing the Timberwolves rotation 

Post#181 » by Dewey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:53 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

What an elite mind.

IMO it’s about the Minnesota Timberwolves ... KAT is a key component, but when your losing at a rapid pace, players need to take a stand. First, We just don’t have a team leader. Second, only a select few players have grit. Lastly, we just are not that talented, and as a group, we are virtually all role players.

Okogie, Dieng, and even Napier (talent aside) have consistently shown the most heart night in night out. I feel those guys have to watch and listen to all the excuses for Wiggins and Towns.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,966

Post#182 » by shrink » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Does Towns really need more offensive options to develop? No - the key to Towns becoming a truly elite player is to improve his defense. Keita plays some four because he can switch defensively, but he is not big enough for 4’s, or quick enough for 3’s. He’s a smart player, but Towns would never trust him defensively, would continue to break coverage to help out, and never improve.

As Rosas has said, this season is about installing a system and developing players. The most important player we can develop is Towns. Covington is much better as an SF, with the freedom to blow up opposing offensive sets, but we play him at PF to help Towns. RoCo makes smart decisions, and Towns likes him, and the hope is that KAT will stop coming out to challengers defense if he trusts his 4.

Maybe when/if Towns buys in, Keita can be more useful next to Towns, but every player should be making cuts. Until Towns gets it, Keita should only get bit minutes in the starting line up with KAT.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#183 » by Dewey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:27 pm

shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does Towns really need more offensive options to develop? No - the key to Towns becoming a truly elite player is to improve his defense. Keita plays some four because he can switch defensively, but he is not big enough for 4’s, or quick enough for 3’s. He’s a smart player, but Towns would never trust him defensively, would continue to break coverage to help out, and never improve.

As Rosas has said, this season is about installing a system and developing players. The most important player we can develop is Towns. Covington is much better as an SF, with the freedom to blow up opposing offensive sets, but we play him at PF to help Towns. RoCo makes smart decisions, and Towns likes him, and the hope is that KAT will stop coming out to challengers defense if he trusts his 4.

Maybe when/if Towns buys in, Keita can be more useful next to Towns, but every player should be making cuts. Until Towns gets it, Keita should only get bit minutes in the starting line up with KAT.

The Rosas here take is mere media fodder ... when you have 2 max players no coach or GM in their right minds are thinking “systems and development” as primary objectives. You’re thinking winning and then whatever.

However, now that we have again proven we still suck a$$, this Rosas bs may be a path we now “have” to take. Zero chance this was literally intended to be a tank season. We have entered a phase some refer to as “writing the same check and looking for different results” enigma. Curious how the front office will move forward in reality ...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#184 » by Mattya » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:37 pm

I don't think the front office ever thought this was a playoff team this season. Even in the earliest stages of the season when they were playing well the beat writers were saying that they know this team isn't ready yet.
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#185 » by Dewey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Mattya wrote:I don't think the front office ever thought this was a playoff team this season. Even in the earliest stages of the season when they were playing well the beat writers were saying that they know this team isn't ready yet.

Maybe, but that thought process is far far away from where we ended here by mid-season ... tank mode with 2 max players. Bad scenario.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#186 » by Mattya » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:05 pm

Dewey wrote:
Mattya wrote:I don't think the front office ever thought this was a playoff team this season. Even in the earliest stages of the season when they were playing well the beat writers were saying that they know this team isn't ready yet.

Maybe, but that thought process is far far away from where we ended here by mid-season ... tank mode with 2 max players. Bad scenario.

This doesn't make sense. Before the season started we were in the exact same cap scenario with 2 max players. So how is this very different?
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,011

Post#187 » by TheProdigy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Dewey wrote:

I think this is a tank job by design. Think of it this way - if you wanted to tank for a higher draft pick, but didn't want to trade your 2 max players (or couldn't in Wiggins case), the best thing you could do is diminish your talent at point guard which is arguably the most important position on the roster. Right now, we are starting a back up (Napier), and our back up is g leaguer (McLaughlin). We haven't even bothered bringing in a 3rd string pg!

I'm not saying this isn't a bad spot to be in, but I think getting an upgrade at point guard would significantly improve this team instantly. So that does make me feel a little better about the situation. We still have other issues like shooting and defense, but a good pg is probably the quickest fix.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#188 » by minimus » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:25 pm

shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree that success of this team depends on KATs improvement in defense. That should not be even discussion. Even Vonleh looked better in drop scheme, but KATs has been so widely inconsistent this season. But lets just imagine that he remains same player next season: an elite scorer and average team defender. What are other things I am concerned about?

1) TOs kill us, we don't have a proven starting caliber ballhanlder right now. Napier is an excellent backup PG, he is the best PG we had since Rubio, I would never question his heart, he really has heart of champion, but still he has his limits: consistency, size. I hope we can draft someone who can control tempo, even push tempo, run continuously PnR, PnP, feed KAT, give our young player better scoring opportunities (open 3s, backdoor cuts, off screen, shots). I have strong feeling that if we limit TOs (#23 in TOs per game as team), we can improve our defense greatly. Having top5 pace offense and a lot of young players does not sound like a good idea, but I can live with it this year.
2) who can guard/control opponent point of attack? we need someone who can at least slow down a bit opponent ball handlers. A great defensive scheme, discipline, execution and veterans will help here, but currently we have none of these components. JO, JC are both close to liability in offense, Josh can't take care of the ball, JC can't shoot. As partner they have AW those effort goes up and down. If only Culver can hit FTs...
3) we need size at both С and PF. If I think about best fit it would be Aron Baynes type player at backup C and Al-Farouq Aminu. Baynes will have big demand next summer, but Aminu has signed 29mil/3yrs contract, he is injured right now and won't play this season. When he gets back healthy he will not play much behind Isaac and Gordon. He also has POR connection with Vanterpool and knows how to play defense.

I would trade Dieng for Felicio. Crabbe for Augustine, Aminu, two SRP (if he is healthy)

Resign Napier, Martin. Draft Tyrese Haliburton because in my opinion he checks all boxes as pass first PG with great size, defensive potential. A big guard such as Haliburton would allow us to play Jaylen Nowell as off the ball scorer. RoCo shift to his natural SF position and guard opponent best perimeter star (point of attack). Aminu shares load with KAT in terms of defensive rotations, rebounds etc. Haliburton freelances in defense. Felicio is big body player who can set screens and fight under the rim. He has expiring contract next season. I am sure that Vanterpool would be happy to play with his old friend Aminu and a talented rookies Haliburton to form an exceptional defensive unit. If Culver, Okogie, KBD, KAT can take next big step as defenders this would a special group.

KAT(30)/Reid(15)/Felicio(3)
Aminu(15)/KBD(20)/RoCo(8)
RoCo(20)/Layman(20)/Wiggins(8) + Martin
Wiggins(25)/Okogie(20)/Nowell(3)
Haliburton(15)/Culver(25)/Napier(8)

Play fast tempo, wide rotation.
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#189 » by Dewey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:41 pm

Mattya wrote:
Dewey wrote:

This doesn't make sense. Before the season started we were in the exact same cap scenario with 2 max players. So how is this very different?

Bingo ... status quo is the issue - well, actually we’ve regressed. Another year another tank as these mental midgets are being outplayed and outmanned. Not talking rookies here ... max players that are simply unable to impact or lead. Pure and simple - a totally wasted season in terms of progress.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#190 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:47 pm

If the team could start teaching players to box out and demand it, how much would that help alone?

I watch games where tiny PGs are boxing out Towns. The little things escape the team. Hard to judge the talent when they seem to forget everything else as they focus on one or two things each game. Rebounding seems like a focus one game, completely forgotten the next. Feels like a Gleague team developing everyone one step at a time.
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#191 » by Dewey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Jedzz wrote:If the team could start teaching players to box out and demand it, how much would that help alone?

I watch games where tiny PGs are boxing out Towns. The little things escape the team. Hard to judge the talent when they seem to forget everything else as they focus on one or two things each game. Rebounding seems like a focus one game, completely forgotten the next. Feels like a Gleague team developing everyone one step at a time.

Ya it’s head-scratching at times ... when your working with pros you’d think this is a stupid conversation. Not even gonna get on the topic of free throw shooting haha!
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#192 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:36 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jedzz wrote:If the team could start teaching players to box out and demand it, how much would that help alone?

Ya it’s head-scratching at times ... when your working with pros you’d think this is a stupid conversation. Not even gonna get on the topic of free throw shooting haha!

Truly. I don't know if it's just evidence more of specific gameplans as such or just a short attention span of everyone. But one game they will do nothing but shoot 3s. The next game shoot 3s over 40 times and defend perimeter but nothing inside. The next game they will have only 11 3s by midgame because the entire team is driving the net every possession instead. That same game however they will come back to the 3s and pitch up 30 more attempts in the final two Qs. It's as if someone asked them to remember driving the net is an option and then that's all they do as they forget about everything else. In that same vien, they forget how to shoot FTs entirely. Ask them to box out and they will probably forget to bring their jersey to the game.

Makes those few rare games where they all seem like better versions of themselves and that much more capable of everything at the same time seem all the better I suppose.
shrink
RealGM

Post#193 » by shrink » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:35 am

Dewey wrote:
shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Rosas here take is mere media fodder ... when you have 2 max players no coach or GM in their right minds are thinking “systems and development” as primary objectives. You’re thinking winning and then whatever.

This isn’t just lip service. His actions are completely opposite of what you are saying.

If the objective is winning, you don’t let every one of your expiring vets go last summer, and you don’t add nine younger, worse players.

If the objective is winning, you don’t stick with your one-big system, even against huge teams. Gorgui may be the third best player on the team right now, and if your objective is winning, he would have been on the floor next to KAT for more than 8 minutes this season.

If the objective is winning, you’d let Covington disrupt opposing offenses as a SF, and not play him at PF to help Towns grow.

You may wish that the objective was winning, but every (and I repeat EVERY) choice we have seen, between winning and development, Rosas has stuck with development.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#194 » by shrink » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:41 am

BTW, I don’t think Rosas is intentionally tanking. I don’t think he would mind more wins.

However I think for long, sustainable success, he realizes wins this season needs to take a back seat to establishing an offensive and defensive system, and forming a mechanism for player development. If this is implemented, we’re a better team next year, and free agents may consider us in the Summer of 2021 is they see we are moving in the right direction. Compare FA’s view of BRK vs NYK.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#195 » by Jedzz » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:59 am

shrink wrote:If the objective is winning, you don’t let every one of your expiring vets go last summer, and you don’t add nine younger, worse players.

If the objective is winning, you don’t stick with your one-big system, even against huge teams.

You are making assumptions though, that they understand these aren't winning moves and are only doing it for unrelated reasons. There was no chatter this summer about placing RoCo at PF solely to help Towns develop. They thought he could be effective there was the story being told.

Same with the One Big system employed no matter the opposition played each game. Early on the story was and has been only that this is the system and they are adament about being strict about this as they build a culture around this system. It's a bit of lip service to now claim there was alterior motives to doing so even though they understood they would lose making these choices. It sure smacked more of stubborness to that plan the first 30 games than it did anything else.

Today, over the last many games, we've seen occasional dual bigs out there at times. Not really with Towns of course, unless maybe KBD is considered. The piling up losses have seemed to force some waivering of late.

Something interesting I noticed in a recent game. The team went really small with KBD as the only big for a rotation and the offense with Wiggins went crazy. Defense also wasn't bad. They chewed up a deficit. Later Towns came back and they went back to normal and they fell behind again. So really small works better?
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#196 » by Dewey » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:35 am

shrink wrote:BTW, I don’t think Rosas is intentionally tanking. I don’t think he would mind more wins.

However I think for long, sustainable success, he realizes wins this season needs to take a back seat to establishing an offensive and defensive system, and forming a mechanism for player development. If this is implemented, we’re a better team next year, and free agents may consider us in the Summer of 2021 is they see we are moving in the right direction. Compare FA’s view of BRK vs NYK.

That’s a good speech for an owner once you discover you’ve missed out on the prize jewel in a trade ... moved up and missed on your PG ... had to piece together a makeshift roster last minute ... then Hoped a leader would emerge - but didn’t ... draft pick is struggling again ... now desperate and got nothing cookin. Deadline will come and go.

Schemes, systems, development yadayada ... Better start thinking 2021 - if we’re lucky. All talk right now
minimus
RealGM

Post#197 » by minimus » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:58 am

One trend that Rosas/Ryan need to consider is growing role of 7th man. Let me explain. This season we are witness that many teams use load management in order to give their best players an opportunity to recover, get in their best shape before playoff. See LAC, DAL etc. Also we can see that progress in technologies and medical support in NBA allows many veteran players to be productive more seasons than 10 years ago. See Rondo, Howard, Melo are still playing. International basketball is growing as well.

To sum up NBA now has more quality players than 10 years ago. It leads to this very interesting point. 7th man in NBA roster, not only 6th man who is able to impact game. I just did not realise it until now.

It might also explain why relatively unknown players have been able to kill MIN this season. Other than obvious "MIN team suck", they are able to do it because they get more opportunities. Successful team should be able to use 6/7th men as advantage, even if they don't have star players, see BRO example from last year. No one played more than 31mpg, eleven players had 20+ mpg, multiple ball handlers took responsibility of running offense (DLo, Dinwiddie, LeVert, Napier)

It is hard to predict how our roster will shape out this deadline, draft and FA offseason. We really need to find a quality PG, shooters and rim protector. But I really hope that we bring back Napier, Martin and possibly Crabbe. Bringing back them, plus future development of our young players (Okogie, KBD, Culver, Nowell, Reid) AND their seamless integration into rotation might give us much need depth. Short bench always has been an issue for this team for years.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#198 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Feb 1, 2020 8:08 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:Nowell is a scorer, not a point guard

Exactly.

I think fans have gotten excited about the concept of Nowell as a PG/primary playmaker, but we haven't seen him in that role yet in Iowa or in Minnesota. Even most of the season in Iowa, McLaughlin has been the PG in that rotation, not Nowell. When McLaughlin is in Minnesota (like last night), Trevon Duval is inserted into the Iowa starting lineup as the primary playmaker.

I don't think many have assumed him a PG. Just this summer some were when everyone, Culver, Nowell, any guard really was being presumed possible as a solution for PG because everyone thought that was going to be the target of the draft, at least the big team need.

I said this summer he's a perfect second option scorer, off ball. If you watch his college games, he starts games slow while others are the lead attackers, and slowly starts getting all the kick outs and second chance scores, but by the end of the games he's the leading scorer and the clutch shooter his team went to. Has happened a lot in Iowa this way. I think this makes him perfect for the Wolves with Wiggins, Culver, or Napier being the primary attacker early. Just as long as Nowell is playing all game and not limited to 14 minutes. I don't see him getting into the flow as a shooter playing 9th man. Warm him up and he's dangerous.

I’m surprised that anyone can watch the wolves system and think that a traditional PG is what the Wolves are looking for from their primary ballhandler.

It’s extremely clear that the key to unlocking this system is a player that can both shoot off the dribble and penetrate to the rim. It’s not about being an elite playmaker but just about being able to kick to spacers off your penetration (think Wiggins but an evolution of that). The other key is being able to hit a roll man with a lob.

I’m surprised anyone thinks that the ideal Wolves primary ball handler isn’t extremely score first. I thought that was the point guys. That’s why Wiggins has been successful in that point forward role. Now imagine someone with better shooting ability and better passing ability and better ball handling (I.e. all Wiggins weaknesses).
minimus
RealGM

Post#199 » by minimus » Sat Feb 1, 2020 9:17 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Exactly.

I think fans have gotten excited about the concept of Nowell as a PG/primary playmaker, but we haven't seen him in that role yet in Iowa or in Minnesota. Even most of the season in Iowa, McLaughlin has been the PG in that rotation, not Nowell. When McLaughlin is in Minnesota (like last night), Trevon Duval is inserted into the Iowa starting lineup as the primary playmaker.

I don't think many have assumed him a PG. Just this summer some were when everyone, Culver, Nowell, any guard really was being presumed possible as a solution for PG because everyone thought that was going to be the target of the draft, at least the big team need.

I said this summer he's a perfect second option scorer, off ball. If you watch his college games, he starts games slow while others are the lead attackers, and slowly starts getting all the kick outs and second chance scores, but by the end of the games he's the leading scorer and the clutch shooter his team went to. Has happened a lot in Iowa this way. I think this makes him perfect for the Wolves with Wiggins, Culver, or Napier being the primary attacker early. Just as long as Nowell is playing all game and not limited to 14 minutes. I don't see him getting into the flow as a shooter playing 9th man. Warm him up and he's dangerous.

I’m surprised that anyone can watch the wolves system and think that a traditional PG is what the Wolves are looking for from their primary ballhandler.

It’s extremely clear that the key to unlocking this system is a player that can both shoot off the dribble and penetrate to the rim. It’s not about being an elite playmaker but just about being able to kick to spacers off your penetration (think Wiggins but an evolution of that). The other key is being able to hit a roll man with a lob.

I’m surprised anyone thinks that the ideal Wolves primary ball handler isn’t extremely score first. I thought that was the point guys. That’s why Wiggins has been successful in that point forward role. Now imagine someone with better shooting ability and better passing ability and better ball handling (I.e. all Wiggins weaknesses).

I agree with you. However I my opinion we are so thin at PG it terms of taking of the ball, defense and executing so we might benefit from any type of quality PG. Scoring first or pass first.

After watching some videos about 2020 draft PGs, I still think that Hayes might be an ideal type of PG for us. He is more dynamic scorer than Haliburton, while he is a creative passer.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#200 » by Jedzz » Sun Feb 2, 2020 7:53 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Exactly.

So yeah, sounds like you are looking for a Kyrie Irving or a James Harden that by all accounts could be great alone in roles as 2 guards, but are also great enough at the 1 and/or 2, because they are elite game IQ players with an arsenal of offensive skills that can shoot the lights out under pressure and can pass when they have to.

There are couple problems here if you are referencing Nowell for this, which was the discussion you quoted into, mainly that he wasn't a frp at all. Which here is like a death null. For a 2 guard to end up proving capable enough and looking confortable enough to handle #1 duties and still score enough I think he's simply got to have minutes above 20 every game and consistently prove it. Once getting those minutes or better for a while you can start to decide if they have that ability. Especially for Nowell, who hasn't had to lead from Point in college or Iowa. He hasn't proved to need to be ball dominant in the past. Which is a great thing! Players like Kyrie and Harden might be much less useful if offball so much. Although that doesn't prove he would'nt be great with the ball in his hands more. To me it just sounds useful for his fit here on this team now. which would allow Wiggins to stay onball.

It's maddening to me he hasn't gotten more chances at higher minutes and games yet this season given how poorly all these players shoot this year. His couple games at 5 mins or 12 minutes aren't going to cut it. But there is just such a traffic jam at the 2 guard role here. "wings" they call them all, but they are all seemingly 2 guards. Even Kelan who plays big enough to handle SF roles is only big enough barely by weight and character. He's only 6-5. Especially when you can't entirely count on Wiggins as a SF. Kelan, Wiggins, Okogie, Culver, all 2 guards. Who am I forgetting? They tried forcing Culver into the 1 role with a bit of failure. They could attempt the same with Nowell, although if they won't even try it in Gleague the odds of it happening at the main are maybe lower. Maybe after the deadline when they are done trying to sell players, or after he's been included in a trade to play elsewhere.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves