RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Constructing the Timberwolves rotation 

Post#201 » by Jedzz » Mon Feb 3, 2020 1:23 am

shrink wrote:
Dewey wrote:
shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

Does Towns really need more offensive options to develop? No - the key to Towns becoming a truly elite player is to improve his defense. Keita plays some four because he can switch defensively, but he is not big enough for 4’s, or quick enough for 3’s. He’s a smart player, but Towns would never trust him defensively, would continue to break coverage to help out, and never improve.

As Rosas has said, this season is about installing a system and developing players. The most important player we can develop is Towns. Covington is much better as an SF, with the freedom to blow up opposing offensive sets, but we play him at PF to help Towns. RoCo makes smart decisions, and Towns likes him, and the hope is that KAT will stop coming out to challengers defense if he trusts his 4.

Maybe when/if Towns buys in, Keita can be more useful next to Towns, but every player should be making cuts. Until Towns gets it, Keita should only get bit minutes in the starting line up with KAT.

The Rosas here take is mere media fodder ... when you have 2 max players no coach or GM in their right minds are thinking “systems and development” as primary objectives. You’re thinking winning and then whatever.

This isn’t just lip service. His actions are completely opposite of what you are saying.

If the objective is winning, you don’t let every one of your expiring vets go last summer, and you don’t add nine younger, worse players.

If the objective is winning, you don’t stick with your one-big system, even against huge teams. Gorgui may be the third best player on the team right now, and if your objective is winning, he would have been on the floor next to KAT for more than 8 minutes this season.

If the objective is winning, you’d let Covington disrupt opposing offenses as a SF, and not play him at PF to help Towns grow.

You may wish that the objective was winning, but every (and I repeat EVERY) choice we have seen, between winning and development, Rosas has stuck with development.

You are probably right. However I have a few problems with the theory as well that has me on the fence. Do they not care about developing a PF or a younger SF in the PF role? I mean if that's the plan with everything else, seems a bit off track to give all the minutes to a player you are openly shopping. Same goes for the value of that same player you are shopping, sinking by the minute because he's not as visibly effective from that position. Meanwhile a SF role and type player is difficult to find on this roster with Layman out. Why would it be so impossible to get any of the other players to do exactly what they are having RoCo do in this role? You know, develop them for the role long term at the same time? When Layman went down, maybe they should have adjusted their plan by sliding RoCo back to SF wing and just didn't?

If it's all only about developing one aspect of Towns' defensive issues you've mentioned repeatedly, maybe it's just piss poor management job of the team and season. Maybe all these things that wouldn't make sense to you if they actually cared about winning are just examples of why they aren't winning and of poor decisions. I think it's fairly obvious playing RoCo at PF hasn't improved Town's defense. Can we just call it a fail and move on?

I think when they forced Culver starting at the 1, it looked clearly like a developmental move that is backing your thoughts on all this. But it was also shortly after Layman's injury, so did they trashcan the season right then and there? However, it's also possible they thought Culver actually was ready for it and were just wrong. When the right move might have been to slide Covington back to SF, keep Wiggins running point, and just use the bevy of 2 guards they have in rotations. Then had one of Dieng, Bell, Vonleh just play with KAT. Maybe they just made the wrong adjustment.

As for letting the vets go, maybe they just didn't believe in any of the vets they let walk and thought they could get more from players of their choice to fill out the roster and this also made it possible to bring in more of those players (guys they have interest in) without the financial struggles caused by resigning one or two of the vets. This gave them the ability to bring in more of "their guys" since players like Wiggins, Towns, Teague, Dieng weren't movable. Kind of like Thibs went about bringing in "his guys" around the duo he couldn't move.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#202 » by minimus » Tue Feb 4, 2020 8:28 am

Read on Twitter

Please God, help this kid fix his jumpshot
post0115
Junior
And1: 35

Post#203 » by post0115 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 1:19 pm

Well, what do you have after the trade?
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#204 » by Dewey » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:43 pm

lets just go WildWolf with Point-Wiggins ... and get through the year. See what we got in the new guys Hernangomaz, Beasley, Vanderbilt, and even Turner.

Wiggins/McLaughlin/Culver
Beasley/Culver/Nowell
Turner/Martin/Layman
Hernangomaz/Vanderbilt
KAT/Dieng/Reid
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#205 » by NebWolvesFan » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:48 pm

Dewey wrote:lets just go WildWolf with Point-Wiggins ... and get through the year. See what we got in the new guys Hernangomaz, Beasley, Vanderbilt, and even Turner.

Beasley/Culver/Nowell
Turner/Martin/Layman
Hernangomaz/Vanderbilt
KAT/Dieng/Reid

Why do you hate Okogie?
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#206 » by Dewey » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:55 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
Dewey wrote:lets just go WildWolf with Point-Wiggins ... and get through the year. See what we got in the new guys Hernangomaz, Beasley, Vanderbilt, and even Turner.

Beasley/Culver/Nowell
Turner/Martin/Layman
Hernangomaz/Vanderbilt
KAT/Dieng/Reid

Why do you hate Okogie?

Forgot Okogie the elite ... ya I hate him
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#207 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:37 pm

Wiggins / McLaughlin
Beasley / Okogie / Nowell
Culver / Crabbe / Martin
Layman / Hernangomez / Vanderbilt
Towns / Dieng / Reid
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
post0115
Junior

Post#208 » by post0115 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:10 pm

Wiggins / Turner/ McLaughlin
Beasley / Okogie / Nowell
Culver / Martin / Crabbe
Hernangomez / Vanderbilt / Layman (sit out year in what must be worst toe injury ever)
Towns / Dieng / Reid

This is just sad, it really is. Beasley goes from out of Den rotation to MN starter.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#209 » by mandurugo » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:52 pm

I'll accept Wiggins as the point guard, I think he has the best chance of success there.

Wiggins / ??? / McLaughlin
Beasley / Culver / Martin / Crabbe / Okogie / Nowell
??? / ??? / Turner
Hernangomez / Vanderbilt / Layman (sit out year in what must be worst toe injury ever - hat tip to post0115)
Towns / Dieng / Reid

Layman can play some minutes at small forward (if he is ever healthy again) and if you were desperate Crabbe, but I think Rosas might have a bit more work to do.
minimus
RealGM

Post#210 » by minimus » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:53 am

post0115 wrote:This is just sad, it really is. Beasley goes from out of Den rotation to MN starter.

Jusuf Nurkic story?
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,167

Post#211 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Feb 6, 2020 7:52 pm

Dlo/Mclaugh
Okogie/Beasley
Culver?/Turner?/Layman+
Spellman??/Juancho/JV
KAT/Naz

what do you guys think?
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
post0115
Junior

Post#212 » by post0115 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:19 pm

C KAT; Reid; O. Spellman
PF The Juan show; James Johnson; Vanderbilt (Layman)
SF Culver; Crabbe; Kelan Martin
SG Beasley; Okogie; J.Evans/J. Nowell
PG D-Lo; Evan Turner; J-Mac

Well that is definitely a better group of shooters. Our defense will be horrendous, but I guess we might as well be exciting.

Can we stretch James Johnson contract to sign someone while the cap holds for Beasley (3.9 hold) and Hernangomez (4.6) are low (until we resign them)?
minimus
RealGM

Post#213 » by minimus » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:41 pm

Draft Haliburton, Jaden McDaniels. Let all veterans go. It would be nice to re-sign Crabbe, Turner but I doubt that they all be okay with vet.min deals, which I believe is fair price for their services. Invest in Beasley and Juancho.

KAT/Reid/Spellman
JJ/Juancho/Vanderbilt
McDaniels/Layman/Martin
Culver/Beasley/Okogie + Evans
D-Lo/Haliburton/Nowell
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#214 » by KGdaBom » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:49 pm

D/Lo somebody other than McLaughlin Please
Beastley, Okogie
Culver/Martin
Layman/JJ/Juancho
KAT/Naz/Spellman
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#215 » by mandurugo » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:54 pm

Looking at these possible line-ups, its starting to seem like the Wolves are going to have a chance to hold on to that first round pick next year. What happens if it doesn't convey?
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#216 » by bulliedog8 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:11 pm

mandurugo wrote:Looking at these possible line-ups, its starting to seem like the Wolves are going to have a chance to hold on to that first round pick next year. What happens if it doesn't convey?

It would then become a 2022 pick for the warriors. If it doesnt convey, that means either something terrible happened, or the wolves got VERY lucky and won the lotto as a 11-12 type lotto team. And if they kept their top 3 pick, then the wolves are getting a possible franchise changing superstar because the 2021 draft is suppose to be GREAT at the top
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#217 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:42 pm

Our starting line-up for the next game:

C - KAT
PF - Slim Tubby (I'm 6'3 but 6'9 with the afro)
SF – Shrink (G League MVP)
SG – Klomp (Team Captain)
PG – Russell

Bench
Jedzz (Defensive instigator)
KGdaBom (Trash Talker)
Dewey (Muscle of the bench)

Coaching Staff
Neeva (Motivational Speaker)
Calinks (Analytics Supervisor)
Minimus (International Talent Scout)
Domejandro (Water Cooler Coordinator)
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Post#218 » by Klomp » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:46 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:Our starting line-up for the next game:

C - KAT
PG – Russell

Bench
KGdaBom (Trash Talker)

Coaching Staff

vs. Clippers - W
at Raptors - W
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#219 » by minimus » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:57 pm

C - KAT
PG – Russell

Bench
KGdaBom (Trash Talker)

Coaching Staff

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#220 » by Dewey » Thu Feb 6, 2020 10:05 pm

minimus wrote:

C - KAT
PG – Russell

Bench
KGdaBom (Trash Talker)

Coaching Staff

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love that role !! I will mentor James Johnson

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves