ImageImageImage

Constructing the Timberwolves rotation

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,697

Re: Constructing the Timberwolves rotation 

Post#901 » by Shaka_Zulu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Yeah I figured, asking anyway, because we arent playing games as of right now. Plus we have 1 roster open, not much money or FA's to attract, so it makes sense that Jmac is the last guy signed for the roster. He will barely get minutes with Rubio and Edwards added on top of heavy wing/guard rotation of last season. But atleast should be ok for emergency backup.

I'm rooting big time for Culver, but the experiment of him as PG is done for good, I hope.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,885

Post#902 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:51 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#903 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:51 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
So, you are expecting Culver to be a PG this year? Is that what I see you listing here along with some other questionable slottings.

As of right now, he is probably the 3rd string PG

You expect Jmac to not be picked up?

Jmac isn’t signed yet which is why he’s listed as RFA
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,697

Post#904 » by Shaka_Zulu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:58 pm

If we dont sign Jmac, what could we possibly do with the last spot of the roster?
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,191

Post#905 » by Neeva » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:07 pm

Hagans? Maybe he is the kentucky rookie player that surprises this season.
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#906 » by Macwolf527 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:54 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:I am just throwing this out there. Vanderbilt came into league as a SF, point forward type with comps to Lamar Odom. We know he struggles with 3, at least has to this point. If the kid can defend 2-4, does it matter if is three isn't money considering the other 4 potential starters can. It will be interesting, but what if we look like this...

Russell, Rubio, Hagans
Edwards, Beasley, Nowell
Vanderbilt, Culver/Okoge
Hernangomez, Layman,. McDaniels
Towns, Davis, Reid

Not sure why people want to loft Vanderbilt from the G role straight to starter. You aren't the only one suggesting this in the past month. Is it ok if he gets some bench minutes and proves who is first before you suggest that?

If Vando is getting it done in practice, who cares about the bench minutes. We have one year to draw some type of conclusion on him. Throw him to the dogs if he earns it and see if he holds up.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#907 » by Dual » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:05 pm

I hope in some moments of the game this lineup plays together:
Ricky
Beasley
Edwards
Juancho
Towns
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,814

Post#908 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:17 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
As of right now, he is probably the 3rd string PG

You expect Jmac to not be picked up?

Jmac isn’t signed yet which is why he’s listed as RFA

J Mc.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#909 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:If we dont sign Jmac, what could we possibly do with the last spot of the roster?

If I were him I'd be looking for a team where I had a chance to play. He played very well last year. Somebody should be interested.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#910 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Dual wrote:I hope in some moments of the game this lineup plays together:
Ricky
Beasley
Edwards
Juancho
Towns

I really expect that to happen at some time. Have the Wolves addressed the possibility of Edwards at the 3?
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#911 » by Norseman79 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:I am just throwing this out there. Vanderbilt came into league as a SF, point forward type with comps to Lamar Odom. We know he struggles with 3, at least has to this point. If the kid can defend 2-4, does it matter if is three isn't money considering the other 4 potential starters can. It will be interesting, but what if we look like this...

Russell, Rubio, Hagans
Edwards, Beasley, Nowell
Vanderbilt, Culver/Okoge
Towns, Davis, Reid

Not sure why people want to loft Vanderbilt from the G role straight to starter. You aren't the only one suggesting this in the past month. Is it ok if he gets some bench minutes and proves who is first before you suggest that?
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#912 » by Norseman79 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Jedzz wrote:

Russell, Rubio, Hagans
Edwards, Beasley, Nowell
Vanderbilt, Culver/Okoge
Towns, Davis, Reid

Oh I totally agree and the only way I even suggest this is based off of predraft scouting reports and off-season reports. I am more asking if people think he could be in play at the 3, most just assumed the 4
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#913 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:03 pm

Of the 14 guys currently on the roster, I would give minutes out from high to low in the following order: KAT, Russell, Beasley, Edwards, Rubio, Culver, Hernangomez, Okogie, Layman, Vanderbilt, Davis, Reid, McDaniels, Nowell.

If we sign JMac, I would put him near Vanderbilt on this list.

When distributing minutes, having trouble getting enough minutes to go around at the wing positions. Probably would have to sneak some of the wings into some PF minutes on a game-to-game basis.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#914 » by Dual » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:10 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Ricky
Beasley
Edwards
Juancho
Towns

I really expect that to happen at some time. Have the Wolves addressed the possibility of Edwards at the 3?

I don't know but I feel he will have minutes in that spot, because of his size and strength, also because DLo, Beasley and Ricky will have to play a lot of minutes, so he will find more playing time playing some minutes as 3.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#915 » by KGdaBom » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:23 pm

Dual wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Ricky
Beasley
Edwards
Juancho
Towns

I don't know but I feel he will have minutes in that spot, because of his size and strength, also because DLo, Beasley and Ricky will have to play a lot of minutes, so he will find more playing time playing some minutes as 3.

Yep PG and shooting guard are well spoken for as long as Beasley is available. Also Culver and Okogie are undersized for the SF.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#916 » by DaMplsKid » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:35 pm

Here how I would set the depth chart to start the season.

Dlo/Rubio/J-Mac ( I hope)
Beasley/Edwards/Nowell
Culver/Okogie/Layman/Martin
Juan/Vander
Towns/Davis/Reid

Send Hagans and McDaniels to the G-League

The 5V5 practices would be nice to see:

Dlo/Beasley/Culver/Juan/Towns
vs
Rubio/Edwards/Okogie/Vander/Davis
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,885

Post#917 » by Klomp » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Russell / Rubio
Beasley / Edwards / Nowell
Okogie / Culver / McDaniels
Hernangomez / Layman / Vanderbilt
Towns / Reid / Davis
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#918 » by TheProdigy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:27 pm

It's obvious that we currently have too many wings and not enough minutes to allocate. I hope Rosas still has a consolidation trade up his sleeve. Here is how I see the initial rotation with the existing roster:

PG: Rubio 28 / DLo 20
SG: DLo 12 / Beasley 26 / Culver 10
SF: Edwards 26 / Okogie 16 / Culver 6
PF: Hernangomez 26 / Layman 22
C: KAT 32 / Davis 16

Starting would be Rubio / DLo / Edwards / Hernangomez / KAT, with DLo getting the quick hook in favor of Beasley. DLo would play the majority of his minutes as a flamethrower with the bench unit. I'd also hope we maximize the # of minutes that Rubio and Edwards share the floor.

I'd like to see some experimenting with a lineup consisting of our best shooters and Edwards (i.e. DLo and Beasley in the backcourt with KAT at center). I'd like to see what Edwards can do as the initiator in the half court when he's surrounded by good shooters that can space the floor.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#919 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:48 pm

TheProdigy wrote:It's obvious that we currently have too many wings and not enough minutes to allocate. I hope Rosas still has a consolidation trade up his sleeve. Here is how I see the initial rotation with the existing roster:

PG: Rubio 28 / DLo 20

Starting would be Rubio / DLo / Edwards / Hernangomez / KAT, with DLo getting the quick hook in favor of Beasley. DLo would play the majority of his minutes as a flamethrower with the bench unit. I'd also hope we maximize the # of minutes that Rubio and Edwards share the floor.

I'd like to see some experimenting with a lineup consisting of our best shooters and Edwards (i.e. DLo and Beasley in the backcourt with KAT at center). I'd like to see what Edwards can do as the initiator in the half court when he's surrounded by good shooters that can space the floor.

I don't see a consolidation trade happening until the deadline. Edwards is going to be given some playing time, but he is going to have to be productive to earn 26 minutes a night and to make one of Culver, Okogie, or Beasley tradeable. It will be a good competition in training camp and at the beginning of the season to see who earns the wing minutes. My guess is Culver will be getting more than 16 a night. I think Rubio's number looks a bit high. Culver's looks low. KAT looks low. Hernangomez, Layman, and Davis all look a bit high to me.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#920 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:52 pm

TheProdigy wrote:PG: Rubio 28 / DLo 20

I'll make the beasley adjustment for my thoughts

PG: Dlo 23 / Rubio 25
SG: Beasley 30 / Dlo 6 / Nowell-Edwards 12 (Culver)
SF: Okogie 19 / Edwards 19 / Layman 10
PF: Hernangomez 26 / Reid 11 / Layman 11

Just trade Culver's 6 million for Tacko on his 1.5 QO and one of Boston's 2021 picks and get it over with. Just keep Tacko around for when any opponents are beating on us with size otherwise he doesn't really play much.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves