2020 NBA Draft prospects

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,964

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#621 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 2, 2020 6:56 am

While this video wasn't specifically Timberwolves related, I thought this quote was noteworthy.....

"Every scout, every GM, every executive I've talked to all year called this a needs-based draft. This is a fit draft."

This goes against what I've been pushing for in the past few weeks (specifically regarding Wiseman), but I think it's still worth a discussion. If Minnesota is one of the teams going for fit in this draft, who could be some of the targets?

There are a number of ways to classify targets as fits or needs. Some people look positionally. Some look at one side of the court over another. Some look at a specific skill set. Some look at what a particular system needs. Some look at team culture. More than one of these can be needs at the same time. So not only do teams have to determine what their needs are, but they also need to rank them in order to determine the best way to fill out the roster based on the importance of the need and the talent available to address each specific need.

This is honestly what makes it hard to peg down what a team might do. We all come in with our ideas of what we think would be the best way to build a contender, but at the end of the day, not only are we not any more knowledgeable than anyone else but we also aren't the man in charge or even in the war room for the discussions. So really we're all just making our best guesses based on the information that's available to us.

Me personally, I view adding a third "guard" as a need. Specifically someone who could come in and share the backcourt with either Russell or Beasley. So while it doesn't necessarily have to be a PG, I think it should be someone who's got some ability as a primary playmaker. Specifically someone who can create his own shot and get the ball all the way to the rim. I know people like McLaughlin and I do too, but I don't want to go into next season relying on him as the team's third guard. To me, he's the perfect fourth guy. That also pushes me more towards off-guards with playmaking ability over a true PG.

Other needs will depend on who stays and who goes this summer. I think the biggest question for the team will be the status of James Johnson. If he opts out, PF becomes a fairly-sized need. If not, maybe the team punts on the position? There are also guys currently on the roster who haven't really been used much to this point. That might change next season, but it might not. If the team moves on, those become potential voids to fill even if they didn't have major roles this season. I'm thinking guys like Spellman, Evans and Nowell here, as a few examples.

As much as other people want to tell you otherwise, I haven't yet locked in on specific targets. I have my favorites, sure. I have guys who I feel the team might be interested in. But I'm very much open to almost any player if I feel they fit the franchise's current roster structure, style of play and locker room culture.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#622 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 2, 2020 7:19 am

"Offensively he's what we want our power forwards to be.....his offensive rebounding, his running the floor, his ability to space the floors in different ways. Defensively, his versatility to play different positions and do different things are things we value both now and in the future."

This was how Gersson Rosas described Juancho Hernangomez after the deadline trade to acquire him. Who are some prospects who fit that description?

After my first extended research reading and watching him, this description screams Patrick Williams of Florida State. I really hope someone doesn't snipe him before the Brooklyn pick.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#623 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 2, 2020 7:28 am

wolfen
Senior
And1: 216

Post#624 » by wolfen » Thu Apr 2, 2020 3:23 pm

Klomp wrote:

There are so many factors to consider in the off-season to even KNOW what are needs even are really. Everyone assumes Beasly will be back but really who knows? And what about Juancho? I certainly want them both back, and if they do both return, I agree whole heartedly on your assessment of needing another guard / combo play-maker and also a 2 way prospect who can play the 3 and 4 spots. I think the best value in addressing those areas would be to use our lotto pick on the combo guard and the nets pick on the 3/4 hybrid.

Lotto possibilities for the combo (for me) include Anthony Edwards or Cole Anthony. Yesterday I was tooting CA's horn about how people have all forgotten who talented he is and that is "just ok" performance this season had a lot to do with having a crappy team around him. Anthony Edwards is so young and has ridiculous potential, which we all know. Either guy would fit the bill IMO. Another reason I like them both is because they are very strong and built physically. We need to add more players like that to the roster. This is why I'm less inclined to include guys like Ball, Hayes, or Haliburton. DLo and Beasley aren't big / strong athletes, I don't want to add another sub-par athlete to that mix. I think you take either Edwards or Anthony AND bring back JMac. More teams are playing multiple guards at the same time that can make things happen, we need to include JMac in that mix.

Nets pick - 3/4 combo - Honestly I'm split on Saddiq Bey vs. Patrick Williams. Williams is a bit more athletic but Bey already has the skills and could probably contribute right out of the gate, whereas PW may take some time to develop. The thing about Bey is, that he is really f'ing good with the ball in his hands making plays. Not just for himself, but for others as well. And he'd probably immediately give us another legit 3 point shooter. And again, both are physically built and strong, which is why I'm less inclined to consider guys at the nets pick like Jaden McDaniels or Paul Reed. Bey footage:

I compare Bey to Kris Middleton and I think he has a pretty high chance to reach that archetype. That is a factor that is really important IMO, "chance to reach possible archetype". Patrick Williams has the physical tools to be some sort of Kawhi / Siakam hybrid. Not saying he'll as GOOD as those players, but if his skills develop, he could be that archetype. He sounds like a great kid and hard worker, but I think his chances of reaching his archetype are maybe 20% less than Bey reaching his. Even if he doesn't though, he'd be a good rotational 3/4 who is athletic, good defender, and opportunistic scorer. Right now I'm leaning Bey over PW, but not by much, and I could be swayed.

I do agree that we probably won't bring in 3 rooks, but if we do, I think there's some real value with that 2nd round pick. If we don't bring back JMac, I look at Saben Lee out of Vandy. He's in the 95th percentile for getting to and scoring at the rim, great hard nosed penetrator, which is another area that we really need (https://www.professionalbasketballcombine.com/news/pbc-film-room-friday-rim-finishing). Plus he plays defense. Then you've got Payten Pritchard, Devon Dotson, and maybe a couple others as considerations to fill that void. Maybe take a flyer on Nick Richards to bring in some athletic rim protection in the front court. Maybe a first rounder falls to our 2nd round pick, who knows.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 696

Post#625 » by karch34 » Thu Apr 2, 2020 10:00 pm

I do think Edwards has the most star potential. I really like Okoro from fact I see him potentially being a Kirilenko type who fits well with what I think is going to be a Russell, Towns, and Beasley core. Honestly I'm intrigued by a number of guys for a number of reasons and honestly with less sample size for the one and dones it's going to be tough for GMs.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#626 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 3, 2020 12:50 am

I'm might be alright with it if they just traded all the picks away for future picks. Spend the season with this new crew they brought in. Be loaded for picks down the road if they need them.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#627 » by Norseman79 » Fri Apr 3, 2020 3:45 am

Honestly, if we don't like Wiseman, I would be more than happy to trade down, land a 1rst next year and maybe another player, draft two forwards - Bay and Williams, just as an example - and come out of this draft better than we came in based on size and athleticism alone.
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#628 » by karch34 » Fri Apr 3, 2020 4:20 am

Jedzz wrote:I'm might be alright with it if they just traded all the picks away for future picks. Spend the season with this new crew they brought in. Be loaded for picks down the road if they need them.

I thought about that too. I think some of it is where picks land and what Rosas is thinking, but I do feel like if we're not sold on them being significant improvements the pieces could be moved. If draft seems decent but not a lot of potential stars the guaranteed salary might not be worth it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#629 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 3, 2020 5:46 am

karch34 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I'm might be alright with it if they just traded all the picks away for future picks. Spend the season with this new crew they brought in. Be loaded for picks down the road if they need them.

I thought about that too. I think some of it is where picks land and what Rosas is thinking, but I do feel like if we're not sold on them being significant improvements the pieces could be moved. If draft seems decent but not a lot of potential stars the guaranteed salary might not be worth it.

The hard thing is going to be.....if the Wolves aren't sold on any of the prospects, will other teams be sold enough to offer a package worth enough value to a team trading two cost-controlled draft pick assets? Future picks are going to be valuable to teams, they probably won't come cheaply.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#630 » by minimus » Sat Apr 4, 2020 10:16 am

The fact that we drafted a versatile defender with broken jumpshot(Culver) instead of a shooter(Coby White) makes me believe that we can draft anyone who has higher potential. Okoro, Wiseman, Okongwu, Edwards, Avdija etc. I am preparing myself for a wild draft and offseason.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#631 » by Jedzz » Sat Apr 4, 2020 1:05 pm

Klomp wrote:
karch34 wrote:

The hard thing is going to be.....if the Wolves aren't sold on any of the prospects, will other teams be sold enough to offer a package worth enough value to a team trading two cost-controlled draft pick assets? Future picks are going to be valuable to teams, they probably won't come cheaply.

Well, if your plan is only to attempt to trade both picks to one team then it would likely limit the options. But there is no reason that has to be the way to go. 29 other teams out there and well over 10 of them have no chance at the playoffs each season. Each of those teams are targets that might want an extra pick now rather than later. You can add a couple playoff teams that have a situation where an extra cost controlled player they see value in might go for it. The immediacy of now inherently has more value than later. Obviously there are certain team situations where now isn't the right time so later has more value to them. But more picks now could also change that for them now. Like it also could for Wolves. However the Wolves are in a slightly unique situation since they already flipped most of their roster at the deadline and haven't gotten the remainder of the season to play it out. I suppose as karch said it depends where the picks actually land, and maybe as you say what these other teams see in the players this year. I guess I'm not really thinking they need to "win" a trade, just move them to the future because of the current situation this team is in.
minimus
RealGM

Post#632 » by minimus » Sat Apr 4, 2020 9:31 pm

I have a question. A young Tim Duncan, after 4yrs in college, would have been drafted now, in 2020, at #1?

P.S. I am not saying that KAT is anything close to David Robinson, but still.
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#633 » by karch34 » Sat Apr 4, 2020 11:12 pm

minimus wrote:I have a question. A young Tim Duncan, after 4yrs in college, would have been drafted now, in 2020, at #1?

P.S. I am not saying that KAT is anything close to David Robinson, but still.

Started reading The Book of Basketball and love the what if section. This is a fun one. Duncan was one of the sure thing #1s in history so you think of course. But then does 4 years give more time to pick apart his game as far as 3 point shooting, along big men not being obsolete but more like RB in NFL in today's game and not as important with a high pick? Does a Duncan even stay in college 4 years today?
wolfen
Senior

Post#634 » by wolfen » Sun Apr 5, 2020 1:40 am

minimus wrote:The fact that we drafted a versatile defender with broken jumpshot(Culver) instead of a shooter(Coby White) makes me believe that we can draft anyone who has higher potential. Okoro, Wiseman, Okongwu, Edwards, Avdija etc. I am preparing myself for a wild draft and offseason.

It may be smart for us to draft guys who it's "widely accepted" that he'll be able to be a good shooter in the draft, even though some other areas maybe aren't strengths. Nets pick:

Bey, Vassel, Nesmith

Over guys with supposedly higher upside but their shooting isn't considered a strength or it's somewhat unknown:

Patrick Williams, Jaden McDaniels

Who honestly knows these players' ceilings anyway? Hell maybe one of Bey / Vassel / Nesmith end up being really good defenders on top of being good shooters, we just don't know really. Might as well error on the side of shooting the ball...
wolfen
Senior

Post#635 » by wolfen » Sun Apr 5, 2020 2:36 pm

If we have to pay market value or over for Beasley, and money becomes a factor, and signing Juancho isn't a possibility, a gambling backup plan could be to draft his clone - Killian Tillie. The guys at the stepien are just completely convinced that if he gets a clean bill of health, that he'll be a very good nba role player in the mold of Juancho:

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/03/30/killian-tillie-scouting-report/

Yes, there's the injury history, but if he checks out (and he did stay healthy this year), he could be a low cost rotational big right out of the gate. He's ready to play immediately with all of the experience he has under his belt. Extremely high IQ on both ends of the court, better athlete than people think, and of course that beautiful and quick release 3 pointer is like butter. Assuming JJ comes back, you could pencil him in as the starting PF, wouldn't have to play super high minutes. Plus you've got Layman, who can play small ball 4, maybe Vanderbilt shows he is ready for minutes, and maybe we draft an nba ready 3/4 like Sadiq Bey in the first round who can also provide some small ball PF minutes.

I really, REALLY like Tillie. It's not just the shooting. He is a really good passer and good team defender. Never does anything to hurt his team either. I honestly think that Jared Vanderbilt is the TYPE of PF that would be optimal starting next to KAT. He may not be ready right away at the beginning of next season, but if and when he is, JJ can guide him and show him the ropes. Then you've got Tillie as a rotational 3 point shooting PF in the mix - all at a bargain basement price.

If Vandy reaches his potential, watch out...

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2020/03/02/minnesota-timberwolves-jarred-vanderbilt-underrated-acquisition/

If anyone has a subscription to the Athletic and would like to summarize that is in this article, that would be much appreciated..

‘You can be the best rebounder in the world:’ Nuggets’ Jarred Vanderbilt building off elite skill - https://theathletic.com/1291136/2019/10/14/you-can-be-the-best-rebounder-in-the-world-nuggets-jarred-vanderbilt-building-off-elite-skill/

More good Vandy reads...

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/06/nuggets-jarred-vanderbilt-michael-porter-jr/

https://nugglove.com/2019/05/28/denver-nuggets-jarred-vanderbilt-difference-maker/
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#636 » by Slim Tubby » Wed Apr 8, 2020 4:07 pm

I personally have Edwards and Wiseman at the top of my wish list by a pretty big margin but if neither are available at our pick, am I the only person that would rather take Obi Toppin over Deni Avdija?
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#637 » by KGdaBom » Wed Apr 8, 2020 9:44 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:I personally have Edwards and Wiseman at the top of my wish list by a pretty big margin but if neither are available at our pick, am I the only person that would rather take Obi Toppin over Deni Avdija?

I think you are part of a very small minority.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#638 » by shangrila » Wed Apr 8, 2020 11:27 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:I personally have Edwards and Wiseman at the top of my wish list by a pretty big margin but if neither are available at our pick, am I the only person that would rather take Obi Toppin over Deni Avdija?

I think you are part of a very small minority.

Agreed.

I don't even have Wiseman or Edwards ranked for us. Wiseman due to fit but Edwards just has loser written all over him.
minimus
RealGM

Post#639 » by minimus » Thu Apr 9, 2020 8:36 am

Has Jaden McDaniels potential to be defensive star in NBA?
minimus
RealGM

Post#640 » by minimus » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:09 pm

I have just realised that if Rosas wanted a shot blocker, rum runner big next to KAT, we could already have Clint Capella. I'd say chances to draft and keep Wiseman or Okongwu are close to 0.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves