ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft prospects

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,049
And1: 11,530
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#901 » by Klomp » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:10 am

Jedzz wrote:Interesting now that I've questioned your last years thoughts on height that you come back with this suggestion. But we are the only two I know of to bring up his name during this break that I know of at least.

Like I said, I've never been anti-height. But I do think it's unlikely given we already have McLaughlin.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
jpatrick
Veteran
Posts: 2,535
And1: 566
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#902 » by jpatrick » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:54 pm

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but I believe all of Lamelo Ball’s games are on Facebook Watch. He’s definitely not a perfect player or fit, but he’s easily my #1 guy in this draft.

His handle and passing are absolutely elite. He’s Rubio-like in his passing/flair. He doesn’t have Rubio’s defense, although he certainly has the size to be a competent defender when he fills out.

While his shot is kinda ugly, unlike Rubio, he wants to shoot/score. I actually see potential with the shot. He’ll never be lights out, but I think he can be competent. I look at the draft improvement his brother made in defense and shooting since coming into the league, Lamelo’s two biggest weaknesses, it gives me a lot of hope. Note that it’s clear he’s a much better prospect than his brother.

The fit would be hard as it’s require Russell to play off ball with the starting unit. It’s also add another player that, at least right now, is a poor defender. He’s the one guy I could see becoming a star though in this draft if things break right.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 41,069
And1: 8,961
Joined: Mar 29, 2006
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#903 » by Calinks » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:35 pm

Lamello is intriguing. It would be really weird though if he is starting caliber. Russell moving to the 2 permanently is probably not what he wants. That also means where does Beasly fit? I'd probably take him if we get the chance, heard too many good things but I really hope we can land a star-caliber 3 or greatly defensive 4.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,035
And1: 1,453
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#904 » by Jedzz » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:44 pm

Calinks wrote:Lamello is intriguing. It would be really weird though if he is starting caliber. Russell moving to the 2 permanently is probably not what he wants. That also means where does Beasly fit? I'd probably take him if we get the chance, heard too many good things but I really hope we can land a star-caliber 3 or greatly defensive 4.


Wolves fans need to stop thinking that every first choice they make in the draft needs to be a starter as a rookie. It's never been sound decisionmaking but it was always done because they rarely had anyone established to start otherwise. Now with clear starters on the roster everyone should be expecting any player drafted is bench fodder until they prove they are worth more later. That's how other teams end up with extra decent depth. I don't care if it's Limeyellow or some other draft pick. They can work out their rookie issues from the bench or gleague.
User avatar
King Malta
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,837
And1: 1,064
Joined: Jun 24, 2013
Location: The Lottery
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#905 » by King Malta » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 am

Calinks wrote:Lamello is intriguing. It would be really weird though if he is starting caliber. Russell moving to the 2 permanently is probably not what he wants. That also means where does Beasly fit? I'd probably take him if we get the chance, heard too many good things but I really hope we can land a star-caliber 3 or greatly defensive 4.


I think I've already posted this in here (apologies if so), but I got to see Lamelo play in my national league last season and I really don't think he solves that many problems for us.

He was an absolute matador defensively in the NBL and he shot 25% from 3 on a FIBA threepoint line (on a pretty decent volume too). He's very athletic and an excellent playmaker, but he has deficiencies in two areas that are going to be extremely important for us.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,535
And1: 1,845
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#906 » by minimus » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 am

King Malta wrote:
Calinks wrote:Lamello is intriguing. It would be really weird though if he is starting caliber. Russell moving to the 2 permanently is probably not what he wants. That also means where does Beasly fit? I'd probably take him if we get the chance, heard too many good things but I really hope we can land a star-caliber 3 or greatly defensive 4.


I think I've already posted this in here (apologies if so), but I got to see Lamelo play in my national league last season and I really don't think he solves that many problems for us.

He was an absolute matador defensively in the NBL and he shot 25% from 3 on a FIBA threepoint line (on a pretty decent volume too). He's very athletic and an excellent playmaker, but he has deficiencies in two areas that are going to be extremely important for us.


What concerns me most is his unimpressive slashing/finishing ability. Combined with his inconsistent jumpshoot it does not give me much confidence in Ball as top3 pick.
jpatrick
Veteran
Posts: 2,535
And1: 566
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#907 » by jpatrick » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:39 pm

minimus wrote:
King Malta wrote:
Calinks wrote:Lamello is intriguing. It would be really weird though if he is starting caliber. Russell moving to the 2 permanently is probably not what he wants. That also means where does Beasly fit? I'd probably take him if we get the chance, heard too many good things but I really hope we can land a star-caliber 3 or greatly defensive 4.


I think I've already posted this in here (apologies if so), but I got to see Lamelo play in my national league last season and I really don't think he solves that many problems for us.

He was an absolute matador defensively in the NBL and he shot 25% from 3 on a FIBA threepoint line (on a pretty decent volume too). He's very athletic and an excellent playmaker, but he has deficiencies in two areas that are going to be extremely important for us.


What concerns me most is his unimpressive slashing/finishing ability. Combined with his inconsistent jumpshoot it does not give me much confidence in Ball as top3 pick.


It’s interesting, in the three games I watched this weekend (was bored), he consistently got past his man without much issue. His handle really is elite. I wouldn’t pay attention to his finishing much. I could see why he shied away from taking it strong. At 18, his body is underdeveloped and he’s playing against grown men in a physical league. With proper weight training, I think he’ll be a decent finisher/slasher.

His shot is funky but improved dramatically in his final six games vs a real struggle in the first six. That initial struggle should have been expected, as this was his first real games in a long time (blame his dad for that) and it was against grown men. Does anyone remember Trae Young’s shooting struggles in his first summer league? Takes time to adjust to increased competition level. Ball’s team also had no real scorers (Aaron Brooks was injures or coming back from injury), thus Ball had to force some things to put points on the board.

On D, he wasn’t good. Did get steals with anticipation but not great. I don’t know if he’ll ever be good on that end but it should improve with proper weight training and age. He doesn’t even turn 19 till the end of this year.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,035
And1: 1,453
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#908 » by Jedzz » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Show of hands, how many still think that any player the Wolves would select top5 would have to be inserted into the starting lineup? And if you do thnk that and want to, please add why.
Norseman79
Senior
Posts: 551
And1: 151
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#909 » by Norseman79 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:04 pm

Jedzz wrote:Show of hands, how many still think that any player the Wolves would select top5 would have to be inserted into the starting lineup? And if you do thnk that and want to, please add why.


I would not fall under that category. Especially in this draft. Some depth with breakout potential is nice. I think a pf or sf have a good chance to start, but don't really care.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 41,069
And1: 8,961
Joined: Mar 29, 2006
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#910 » by Calinks » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:54 pm

I haven't seen any prospects. I have just heard that Ball would be a starter right away. A lot of Wolves media people seem to really like Killian Hayes too. Those are probably the two biggest names I hear thrown around.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
User avatar
Mattya
RealGM
Posts: 14,611
And1: 3,667
Joined: Aug 08, 2008
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#911 » by Mattya » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:18 pm

I think while the top of the draft is a bit underwhelming on upside, I think the middle of the draft could produce some pretty solid players. I think Saddiq Bey is underrated because he isn’t a blow by athlete.

I’m also starting to lean towards not trading for Aaron Gordon. I think we could use Johnson’s expiring to just take on a bad contract and keep our picks for more impactful trades.
coolcono
Junior
Posts: 434
And1: 56
Joined: Jan 09, 2005

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#912 » by coolcono » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:16 pm

I really don't want Ball on this team. No Topin either. I remember Derrick Williams.
Wiseman 1-A
Edwards 1-B
Vassell-2-A
Okoro-2-B
Deni-3-A
Hayes-3-B.

Would happily trade for a good wing.
KGdaBom
General Manager
Posts: 8,665
And1: 1,891
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#913 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 am

Jedzz wrote:Show of hands, how many still think that any player the Wolves would select top5 would have to be inserted into the starting lineup? And if you do thnk that and want to, please add why.

Doesn't have to be inserted in the starting lineup, but hopefully will be good enough to give Saunders no choice, but to insert him in the starting lineup.
KGdaBom
General Manager
Posts: 8,665
And1: 1,891
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#914 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:20 am

coolcono wrote:I really don't want Ball on this team. No Topin either. I remember Derrick Williams.
Wiseman 1-A
Edwards 1-B
Vassell-2-A
Okoro-2-B
Deni-3-A
Hayes-3-B.

Would happily trade for a good wing.

Topin is Topin. Derrick Williams isn't. There is nothing whatsoever about Derrick Williams that would discourage me from taking Topin.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,535
And1: 1,845
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#915 » by minimus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:12 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
coolcono wrote:I really don't want Ball on this team. No Topin either. I remember Derrick Williams.
Wiseman 1-A
Edwards 1-B
Vassell-2-A
Okoro-2-B
Deni-3-A
Hayes-3-B.

Would happily trade for a good wing.

Topin is Topin. Derrick Williams isn't. There is nothing whatsoever about Derrick Williams that would discourage me from taking Topin.


Read on Twitter
jpatrick
Veteran
Posts: 2,535
And1: 566
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#916 » by jpatrick » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:41 pm

I do wonder how Rosas is going to play this. A lot of GMs would go for someone who’ll contribute to winning this year, either pick or trade, because we owe a lotto pick in a very good draft next year.

I’m not sure that’s how Rosas sees things. I think he’ll see that as a sunk cost and pick who’s best long term, even if the optics of giving up the #6 pick or so might be bad.

The problem is that out of the top guys, none will really contribute to winning this year. I could see someone like Vassell going top five because he could, as he has a definite role, even though lower ceiling.
Neeva
Starter
Posts: 2,411
And1: 772
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#917 » by Neeva » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:23 pm

jpatrick wrote:I do wonder how Rosas is going to play this. A lot of GMs would go for someone who’ll contribute to winning this year, either pick or trade, because we owe a lotto pick in a very good draft next year.

I’m not sure that’s how Rosas sees things. I think he’ll see that as a sunk cost and pick who’s best long term, even if the optics of giving up the #6 pick or so might be bad.

The problem is that out of the top guys, none will really contribute to winning this year. I could see someone like Vassell going top five because he could, as he has a definite role, even though lower ceiling.



People thought this would be a strong draft exactly a year ago. One where lots of teams would get their pointguard of the future.
I think Rosas is gonna try to build a winning team for next year but if things go south midway, tank,, get a top 3 pick( cunningham or Bates?) hope one of them is a superstar from the get to , then go full win now mode for 2021-2022 season and give the warriors a 2022 pick in the twenties (that will probably be a strong draft though)
User avatar
Mattya
RealGM
Posts: 14,611
And1: 3,667
Joined: Aug 08, 2008
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#918 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Vassell really looks like a smaller version of Roco to me. I think he might have some ability to shoot off screens, but he looks extremely limited handling the ball and getting to the rim.

I think we would draft Onyeka over Toppin. He doesn’t have as developed passing or outside shooting but he is a similar lob threat and a better defensive player in every aspect. I just don’t know if that is the type of offensive fit Rosas is looking to put in the rotation.
SmokeyPaw
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,729
And1: 871
Joined: May 14, 2016
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#919 » by SmokeyPaw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:53 pm

With Dimwiddie out I think the chances of the brooklyn pick conveying are sleight
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,049
And1: 11,530
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#920 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:49 pm

Mattya wrote:Vassell really looks like a smaller version of Roco to me. I think he might have some ability to shoot off screens, but he looks extremely limited handling the ball and getting to the rim.

I think we would draft Onyeka over Toppin. He doesn’t have as developed passing or outside shooting but he is a similar lob threat and a better defensive player in every aspect. I just don’t know if that is the type of offensive fit Rosas is looking to put in the rotation.

Yeah I don't think anyone would be drafting Vassell for on-ball creation ability. He can be a high-end role player a la Danny Green, but not sure much more should be projected.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves