Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#941 » by jpatrick » Thu Jul 2, 2020 3:09 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

To be fair, he barely handled the ball at FSU. He either shot it or swung it. Maybe a dribble or two and pull up. That helps lower turnovers.

His ceiling, as someone noted earlier, is a smaller RoCo-type role player. That is someone with great value but he definitely won’t be a star.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#942 » by Norseman79 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 4:24 pm

jpatrick wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

To be fair, he barely handled the ball at FSU. He either shot it or swung it. Maybe a dribble or two and pull up. That helps lower turnovers.

His ceiling, as someone noted earlier, is a smaller RoCo-type role player. That is someone with great value but he definitely won’t be a star.

That depends on what you are considering a star. If he ends being an elite 3 and d wing who simply doesn't create off the dribble, he can still be a star.

I haven't seen a ton of Kris middleton, but a more athletic Middleton is what I can see
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#943 » by minimus » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:03 pm

jpatrick wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes, that was my thought as well. It won't be a bad return if we get 3&D with FRP, but usually you can these players with late picks. Wes Matthews, Danny Green, Patrick Beverly etc.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#944 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:38 pm

I like all the lottery SF in this draft and think Vessell, Nesmith and Saddiq Bay could thrive in Minnesota. I also like Josh Green. Hopefully, Minnesota gets a solid 3 and D for the next decade this fall.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#945 » by Norseman79 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:56 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:I like all the lottery SF in this draft and think Vessell, Nesmith and Saddiq Bay could thrive in Minnesota. I also like Josh Green. Hopefully, Minnesota gets a solid 3 and D for the next decade this fall.

I see Nesmith and Green more as guards, but honestly, haven't watched much as far as defensive matchups or length. I love Nesmith if we lose Beasley.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#946 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Jul 2, 2020 6:11 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:I like all the lottery SF in this draft and think Vessell, Nesmith and Saddiq Bay could thrive in Minnesota. I also like Josh Green. Hopefully, Minnesota gets a solid 3 and D for the next decade this fall.

I see Nesmith and Green more as guards, but honestly, haven't watched much as far as defensive matchups or length. I love Nesmith if we lose Beasley.

Both have 6-10 wingspan and strong frames. I could see them playing the three.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#947 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 2, 2020 6:31 pm

Vessell and Nesmith are fine prospects. Drafting them or Okoro would likely result in a trade of Culver or Okogie, unless the thought is that Culver could transition into the third guard role behind both Russell and Beasley.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#948 » by jpatrick » Thu Jul 2, 2020 10:14 pm

Klomp wrote:

Vessell and Nesmith are fine prospects. Drafting them or Okoro would likely result in a trade of Culver or Okogie, unless the thought is that Culver could transition into the third guard role behind both Russell and Beasley.

I could also see a Russell/Culver backcourt with Beasley being a sixth man. If he can learn to shoot at even NBA average level, Culver when combined with Vassell on the wings would help mask a lot of Russell’s and Town’s defensive shortcomings.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#949 » by Jedzz » Fri Jul 3, 2020 12:03 am

jpatrick wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I could also see a Russell/Culver backcourt with Beasley being a sixth man. If he can learn to shoot at even NBA average level, Culver when combined with Vassell on the wings would help mask a lot of Russell’s and Town’s defensive shortcomings.

Another push Beasley to 6th man guy. Where do you people come from?

Same kind of people that were pushing for Lavine to be a 6th man and for team to allow Wiggins to be a SG instead of SF and ultimately max him. These people ultimately were a part of the movement that got him traded. They "didn't trust LaVine's defense". As if Wiggins offered any and was going to work as hard to improve anything. As if we need a SG to be all world defender. Start with surefire shooters, then improve on the otherstuff. Not the other way around.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#950 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:47 am

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I take you're saying Topin is a poor defender. Was that the intent of your post? Topin is still Topin and not Derrick Williams.

I see Derrick Williams as the most accurate comparison for Obi Toppin:

1) both had very efficient last year in college in terms of scoring
2) both are classic tweener
3) both can't defend in space
4) both are solid but not elite athletes

I wish Obi has the elite athletic tools that Amare had. Because I think that Amare/Blake Griffin type of finisher would push our team to another higher level. If we re-sign Beasley we will have elite spacing + two elite shooters/passers in KAT and DLo who should be main decision-makers. An elite dunker in pace-and-space system would be a constant threat of alleyops, easy dunks after PnR etc. Not to mention fast breaks.

Toppin is Toppin. It's ridiculous to say Derrick Williams wasn't successful so Toppin won't be. Now if he doesn't defend well that's a reason to say he won't be successful. Derrick Williams not defending well has NOTHING to do with Toppin.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#951 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:01 am

Latest Tankathon projections. The Wolves preference for their first pick in order are Edwards, Ball, Avdija and Toppin. If we don't draft Toppin they have us taking Patrick Williams A PF every time and over Precious Achiuwa. Toppin is our most commonly projected first pick with the other three mixed in if we get some lottery luck. If we draft him we take Josh Green every time.
In a big change from their previous 2nd round mocks they have the Wolves Drafting Vernon Carey Jr a C out of Duke almost every single time.
minimus
RealGM

Post#952 » by minimus » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:07 am

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I take you're saying Topin is a poor defender. Was that the intent of your post? Topin is still Topin and not Derrick Williams.

I wish Obi has the elite athletic tools that Amare had. Because I think that Amare/Blake Griffin type of finisher would push our team to another higher level. If we re-sign Beasley we will have elite spacing + two elite shooters/passers in KAT and DLo who should be main decision-makers. An elite dunker in pace-and-space system would be a constant threat of alleyops, easy dunks after PnR etc. Not to mention fast breaks.

Toppin is Toppin. It's ridiculous to say Derrick Williams wasn't successful so Toppin won't be. Now if he doesn't defend well that's a reason to say he won't be successful. Derrick Williams not defending well has NOTHING to do with Toppin.

Okay. Toppin is Toppin. Derrick Williams is Derrick Williams. Derrick Williams not defending well has NOTHING to do with Toppin not defending well.

At the end of the day, he is a good scorer at the college level without defense, average rebounder, and passer. He is ok for BRO pick, but a bad choice for our top pick, because he is not BPA in terms of potential, and does not fit our needs.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#953 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:48 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

Okay. Toppin is Toppin. Derrick Williams is Derrick Williams. Derrick Williams not defending well has NOTHING to do with Toppin not defending well.

At the end of the day, he is a good scorer at the college level without defense, average rebounder, and passer. He is ok for BRO pick, but a bad choice for our top pick, because he is not BPA in terms of potential, and does not fit our needs.

Good Reply. If the draft sources I have been reading can be believed it seems like the NBA disagrees with you. If Tankathon has it right Toppin has about a 50% chance of being our first pick.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#954 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:51 pm

Any thoughts on Vernon Carey Jr. who Tankathon gives an extremely high probability of being our 2nd round pick.
minimus
RealGM

Post#955 » by minimus » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:53 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Toppin is Toppin. It's ridiculous to say Derrick Williams wasn't successful so Toppin won't be. Now if he doesn't defend well that's a reason to say he won't be successful. Derrick Williams not defending well has NOTHING to do with Toppin.

Good Reply. It seems like the NBA disagrees with you and if Tankathon has it right Toppin has about a 50% chance of being our first pick.

Well, I think our top guys here on this board can make much better analysis than a superficial draft overview from guys who have not seen even 10 MIN games this season.

For instance, BR wrote that our GM is Scott Layden.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#956 » by Norseman79 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:58 pm

I would be disappointed if the pick were Carey over Nick Richards. Carey is definitely more polished offensively, but with Towns and Reid, we need a bigger, athletic, shotblocking, rim running type.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#957 » by Norseman79 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:00 pm

I would be disappointed if the pick were Carey over Nick Richards. Carey is definitely more polished offensively, but with Towns and Reid, we need a longer, athletic, shotblocking, rim running type.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#958 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:52 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:

Good Reply. It seems like the NBA disagrees with you and if Tankathon has it right Toppin has about a 50% chance of being our first pick.

Well, I think our top guys here on this board can make much better analysis than a superficial draft overview from guys who have not seen even 10 MIN games this season.

For instance, BR wrote that our GM is Scott Layden.

I like Tankathon. I'm not saying they are right. I'm just saying that is what they're projecting. I really doubt Toppin will be available at 16 so if we do want him we have to take him with our own pick. If we don't we simply won't get him. Tankathon gives him a slight plus rating as a defender. His shooting is off the charts. I think I want him.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#959 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:58 pm

Norseman79 wrote:I would be disappointed if the pick were Carey over Nick Richards. Carey is definitely more polished offensively, but with Towns and Reid, we need a bigger, athletic, shotblocking, rim running type.

Don't get carried away. Richards is 60th on the Tankathon Big Board. Carey is 28th. We want Richards there's a great chance we can get him FA.
minimus
RealGM

Post#960 » by minimus » Sat Jul 4, 2020 7:24 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves