ImageImageImage

Last preseason game: Minnesota at Milwaukee (7 pm, FSN-Plus)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Last preseason game: Minnesota at Milwaukee (7 pm, FSN-Plus) 

Post#61 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:46 am

Calinks wrote:The problem with our squad, and Jim Pete is just now bringing this up as I'm typing, we have lost A LOT of solid guys. We no longer have the savvy vet play of players like Rose and Gibson. Those guys were not world beaters on their own but they knew so many basketball things. They made few mistakes. Right now our veteran guys are the same players who were the young guys who knew so little a few years ago.

That alone is a big factor against us. We will probably pretty air headed BBIQ wise. No veteran calming presence, no adults in the room to clean things up. I'm a believer in needing solid vets. Our in house vets just don't have it in them to lead a team in that way IMO.

Rose, Gibson, even Luol Deng. Had those guys had better BBIQ young guys around them the team would have been better. The entire time I was claiming if they just benched Wiggins and put a competant average NBA player in it might have meant more wins. These guys played solid basketball and received little to no respect. It was a shame.

I think you are right that without that calming, steady and higher bbiq play we might go back to the ups and down play of 2015, maybe if we are lucky it will be that good. All we can do is hope the new front office and coaches can put them in their best position to succeed and help them correct as needed.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#62 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:58 am

DaKidKG wrote:Rosas talks big game about bringing a modern offense to the team. I don't see many adequate 3 point shooters on this team.

- That's why I said stay at 11 and get Cam Johnson if nobody else.
- Questioned the choice of Culver because of his questionable 3 pt shooting. Hype front runners ran me over for saying that. It wasn't to hate on Culver. It was to point out we absolutely needed better shooters. We lost Rose who brought a lot of higher percentage shots near the net and then for a nice long run was also hitting 3s for us. That had to be replaced some how.

All the talk about defense and height mismatches in choices of players was driving me nuts. I would have taken a 3pt shooter over just about anyone in that draft. I don't care if he looked like a stiff in every other way. Needed a proven shooter. Hope someone can step up and help with those yet.

Probably need a trade now, and we are going to have to pay so badly that the move likely ruins the future. Maybe they should trade Culver and Wiggins for Buddy or something like that. I don't know at this point. I don't want to see them send 3 or 4 years of picks to GSW for the guy they stole.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#63 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 am

Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:Offense is uuuuuggggly. Hopefully the bench can step up.

Missing shots, but liking the looks we're getting

I think you just described the season.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#64 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:08 am

KAT4PREZ wrote:Kelan Martin is an NBA player

I hope he sticks throughout the season. He plays more like a veteran. Had a longer college career and is 24 already. He doesn't play out of control which could be major help for this team and our bench.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#65 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:11 am

oh wellz. Bucks absolutely destroyed Wolves last season in October as well.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#66 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:01 am

The last 2 games, weve gotten almost no transition nor buckets off of cuts.

I really don't like the way our offense has looked. We are back to relying on iso and high pnrs to generate offense.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 570

Post#67 » by TwolvesFanRome » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:14 am

Wiggins :nonono:
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
Jedzz
RealGM

Re: Last preseason game: Minnesota at Milwaukee (7 pm, FSN) 

Post#68 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:23 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Who's going to be the last starter? Layman, Graham, Okogie, or Culver. It will be interesting and it might change game to game.

I really think that will be the case, and I'm totally fine with it. Could throw Bell or Vonleh into the mix as well against bigger lineups.

I know people are down on our top-end talent once you get past Towns and maybe Covington, but I really like the depth on this team. We have a lot of guys who can contribute, which can come in handy if one guy is having an off night or when guys get hurt. In some ways, the depth is like the 2019 Minnesota Twins offense in that way.

The Bucks have real depth. If we don't have 5 real starters I think it might mean we don't have depth either. Bucks even have Cam Reynolds, who we might want to try and steal back for shooting skills.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,925

Post#69 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:26 am

Jedzz wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:Rosas talks big game about bringing a modern offense to the team. I don't see many adequate 3 point shooters on this team.

- Questioned the choice of Culver because of his questionable 3 pt shooting. Hype front runners ran me over for saying that. It wasn't to hate on Culver. It was to point out we absolutely needed better shooters. We lost Rose who brought a lot of higher percentage shots near the net and then for a nice long run was also hitting 3s for us. That had to be replaced some how.

All the talk about defense and height mismatches in choices of players was driving me nuts. I would have taken a 3pt shooter over just about anyone in that draft. I don't care if he looked like a stiff in every other way. Needed a proven shooter. Hope someone can step up and help with those yet.

Probably need a trade now, and we are going to have to pay so badly that the move likely ruins the future. Maybe they should trade Culver and Wiggins for Buddy or something like that. I don't know at this point. I don't want to see them send 3 or 4 years of picks to GSW for the guy they stole.

See to me, this is the difference between a coaching mindset and a good front office mindset. Coaches are usually only worried about the present. What do we need right now. We need shooting, so we should draft Johnson instead of Culver. We need a PG over a SG, so we draft Dunn instead of Murray or Hield. We can't afford to wait for development, so we draft Shabazz Muhammad instead of Giannis Antetokounmpo. We need a C over a SG, so we draft Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan.

Yes, everyone knows 3-point shooting is a need and Johnson has the potential to be a very good 3-point shooter. But that doesn't mean you should draft Luke Kennard over Donovan Mitchell. Good front offices project out where a player's impact will be, not just as rookies but 5-10 years down the road. Sure, mistakes will be made at times in assessments but I still think it's important for a front office to look at the big picture when going into a draft and not just what your biggest need is at that moment.

Rosas isn't building for just this year. Culver wasn't selected for just this year. Over the course of time, I strongly believe he'll prove to be the better player and the correct pick.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#70 » by packforfreedom » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:32 am

So I watched my first preseason game. I know it's only preseason but I don't have much optimism as the problems are clear.

This team doesn't have a chance to make the playoffs, not close. it goes nowhere with Teague and Wiggins in significant roles, the overall talent level is low, our bench is super thin, offensive outside of KAT will be hard to find. I like the overall modern approach but we neither have the shooters nor the ball movment to make it work. KAT can't do it all alone. I like letting him create more from the elbow though, but Ryan needs to get him more postups. I also like how Layman's moves without the ball and Culvers upside as a ballhandler. I generally like the upside on the defensive end but we dramatically lack size.

this has the potential to become another very long and very frustrating season.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#71 » by Jedzz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:01 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

See to me, this is the difference between a coaching mindset and a good front office mindset. Coaches are usually only worried about the present. What do we need right now. We need shooting, so we should draft Johnson instead of Culver. We need a PG over a SG, so we draft Dunn instead of Murray or Hield. We can't afford to wait for development, so we draft Shabazz Muhammad instead of Giannis Antetokounmpo. We need a C over a SG, so we draft Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan.

Yes, everyone knows 3-point shooting is a need and Johnson has the potential to be a very good 3-point shooter. But that doesn't mean you should draft Luke Kennard over Donovan Mitchell. Good front offices project out where a player's impact will be, not just as rookies but 5-10 years down the road. Sure, mistakes will be made at times in assessments but I still think it's important for a front office to look at the big picture when going into a draft and not just what your biggest need is at that moment.

Rosas isn't building for just this year. Culver wasn't selected for just this year. Over the course of time, I strongly believe he'll prove to be the better player and the correct pick.

Well, I see. The ol' we are thinking 5 steps down the road and you are only thinking one step. Chess vs checkers. The people who waited 14 years for the last playoff run listening to one long term story after another say hi.

I guess you can spin it how ever you want to try to. Shooting skill wasn't even in the storyline being sold during the start of this rebuilding. That's all I thought this team needed to focus on in the draft.

You brought up Dunn being drafted instead of Murray or Hied. Oh boy that seems a bit of slide of hand spin toward's your narrative here. We didn't need a PG then! We needed a three point shooter then, and every year before then. Many wanted Murray! If people felt they needed a PG/ball Dominant/Shooter it's because they knew Rubio feeding the likes of Wiggins wasn't enough. That's maybe where ball dominant scoring PG dreamers were coming from this past draft, not back then. Dunn was instead a story of Defender(!) and Proready hyped #5 lock. The line wasn't "shooter". The story wasn't that he was a pick for "now". The story was that he was a likely draft night trade chip for a two way star player. Turns out that was a longer term plan itself and it also costed us a found shooter in LaVine. Now we lost the two way star anyway. Meaning we are now behind where we started from on Shooters three years ago!

We got Towns by not being able to shoot. That's 2015. Four years later and still looking for better shooters to rely on. Murray should have been it! He was known then and our Need was bad enough! We need to stop kicking the can down the road and rationalizing it.

It's the people claiming you can't ever draft for need or now that screw this stuff up every year. I don't know, maybe 20 years of needing it should make it a priority once or twice. Our coaches and GMs aren't likely longterm names here if they don't start finding top shooters. Wouldn't you agree?

Start with players capable of shooting and work on coaching them up to be even more. Seems like i've had this convo before. Once a year?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves