ImageImageImage

Wiggins: "There's not 100 players better than me"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Re: Wiggins: "There's not 100 players better than me" 

Post#261 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:52 pm

6th in the league and highest among guards for points in the paint this year. Hes ahead of guys like harden, doncic, westbrook etc..

Still surprising for a guy that doesnt dunk and is surrounded by non shooters.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#262 » by vagelis » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:10 pm

Wiggins does this effortless in warmups but refuses to dunk in games and takes no part to dunk contests

Read on Twitter
DaKid
Senior
And1: 186

Post#263 » by DaKid » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:49 pm

vagelis wrote:Wiggins does this effortless in warmups but refuses to dunk in games and takes no part to dunk contests

Read on Twitter

He dunks in just about every game, just not as violently as he used to.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#264 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Teams have been doing this to kat and wiggs the past 12 or so games, yet we havent adjusted yet. And teams will continue because we dont have an answer.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,954

Post#265 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:34 am

vagelis wrote:Wiggins does this effortless in warmups but refuses to dunk in games and takes no part to dunk contests

Read on Twitter

This is why I argued so much against the "he's not that talented" crowd over the years. He is immensely talented, more than even he gives himself credit for a lot of the time.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#266 » by Jedzz » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:42 am

Read on Twitter

The confidence of a workout hoodie. That was pretty sweet actually.

In games he could just come in high with those overheads nearly 10 times a game if he really wanted to. if he played confident enough, and wasn't afraid of hurting every nose in the region.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#267 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:19 am

Jedzz wrote:

Read on Twitter

The confidence of a workout hoodie. That was pretty sweet actually.

In games he could just come in high with those overheads nearly 10 times a game if he really wanted to. if he played confident enough, and wasn't afraid of hurting every nose in the region.

He has never been the same since that poster on noel. Those 2 are friends, so it must have just killed him on the inside.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#268 » by Jedzz » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:22 am

DaKid wrote:

Read on Twitter

He dunks in just about every game, just not as violently as he used to.

I think you are right about "not as violently as he used to". But I think you are wrong about "just about every game". This tricky looking little number here looks like something he should use in games if he's scared to crash in and poster opponents anymore. Very smooth.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,659

Post#269 » by shrink » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:32 am

Wiggins 18-10-7

Is this the closest he’s ever been to a triple double?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,954

Post#270 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:45 am

shrink wrote:Wiggins 18-10-7

Is this the closest he’s ever been to a triple double?

Had a 21-10-7 last year. 32-10-6 in second year. 29-10-6 in rookie year.

So yes.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
DaKid
Senior
And1: 186

Post#271 » by DaKid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Off topic post but which shoes is wiggins playing in this year?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#272 » by minimus » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:47 am

Toruk Makto

Read on Twitter
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#273 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 pm

minimus wrote:Toruk Makto

Read on Twitter

It's so simple it's maddening they can't figure this out and do it all the time. Here's the thing I keep mentioning. While this is going on and it's Point Wiggins time, they need to remove any true PGs from the floor. In these moments you'll see Napier in this case who is completely outside the offense now and more of a weakness on defense because he's now out of position. They need to bring in another true shooting guard or small forward when Wiggins goes on point and get back to 5 on 5 ball instead of 4 on 5. Culver would be an ok replacement, or Martin.

Wiggins, Culver, RoCo, then whoever you want for the PF next to Towns.
or
Wiggins, Culver, Martin(Layman), RoCo, Towns

Ah screw it. This team is too backwards to go after this. it's all about making an offense for Towns really, so they might as well just make some trades already and stop wasting time.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#274 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Maybe stop Wigs from blazing up before the game. His dope wears off after halftime.
That's the only reason I can think of. He's always off to slow starts.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#275 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Jedzz wrote:Ah screw it. This team is too backwards to go after this. it's all about making an offense for Towns really, so they might as well just make some trades already and stop wasting time.

I was thinking that a couple of weeks ago, then the Crabbe trade happened, and thought, Rosas is brilliant. The art of tanking, without tanking.
We could lock up a top seed with a second half as bad as our first. Kings, GS, Hawks, Knicks and Cavs should win more games down the stretch. I have a feeling much like I did when we drafted D Williams. We will be just outside of the top tier players.
We get the second pick in a one player draft. 3rd pick in a two player draft. Rinse and repeat. My faith is starting to....ah hell, it's been gone.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#276 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 pm

Jedzz wrote:

Read on Twitter

It's so simple it's maddening they can't figure this out and do it all the time. Here's the thing I keep mentioning. While this is going on and it's Point Wiggins time, they need to remove any true PGs from the floor. In these moments you'll see Napier in this case who is completely outside the offense now and more of a weakness on defense because he's now out of position. They need to bring in another true shooting guard or small forward when Wiggins goes on point and get back to 5 on 5 ball instead of 4 on 5. Culver would be an ok replacement, or Martin.

or

Ah screw it. This team is too backwards to go after this. it's all about making an offense for Towns really, so they might as well just make some trades already and stop wasting time.

This is kinda true. Wiggs has never really played pg for an extended period of time before this year so it isnt really natural for him to take the ball up. And we know he wont demand the ball, so other guys like napier, culver, or okogie will be seen bringing the ball up and initiating.

It was maddening watching kat and wiggs do their 2 man game, then all of a sudden watch napier run the offense for 3 very important possessions while kat screens and wiggs floor spaces in the corner.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#277 » by Dewey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:45 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Read on Twitter

or

This is kinda true. Wiggs has never really played pg for an extended period of time before this year so it isnt really natural for him to take the ball up. And we know he wont demand the ball, so other guys like napier, culver, or okogie will be seen bringing the ball up and initiating.

It was maddening watching kat and wiggs do their 2 man game, then all of a sudden watch napier run the offense for 3 very important possessions while kat screens and wiggs floor spaces in the corner.

Agree ... that was disturbing
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
b7s4
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#278 » by b7s4 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:50 pm

"If You Get Yelled at, Then You Know': Ryan Saunder's Attempt to Snap Andrew Wiggins and the Timberwolves Out of a Funk"
After not tallying a single rebound in the first half, missing his only two free throws and not scoring a bucket until there was one minute left in the second quarter, Wiggins needed a fire lit under his ass. Wiggins knew it and so did his coach, Ryan Saunders.

“I needed it. I needed it,” said Wiggins of the stern halftime talking-to he received from Saunders in front of the entire team. “The first half was a bad first half. I wasn’t aggressive.”

After arriving in Chicago on a six-game losing streak, it was an unacceptable level of play from Wiggins, and his coach called him out for it.

“Ryan got on Wiggs,” said Robert Covington, describing the halftime scene. “He challenged him about giving us a little bit more, and he responded. He responded very well.”

https://zonecoverage.com/2020/timberwolves/if-you-get-yelled-at-then-you-know-ryan-saunders-attempts-to-snap-andrew-wiggins-out-of-his-funk/
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#279 » by shangrila » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:42 am

Jedzz wrote:

Read on Twitter

or

They need to eject everyone under 6-5. Napier is, in theory, a good fit; he can guard opposing PGs, hit open 3s that should be created off Wiggins' actions (and further ball movement) and can act as a secondary ball handler to take pressure off Drew if/when it's necessary. The issue here is he's more streaky than I'd like in someone in that role but at least we'd know what to aim for going forward.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#280 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:10 am

shangrila wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Read on Twitter

or

They need to eject everyone under 6-5. Napier is, in theory, a good fit; he can guard opposing PGs, hit open 3s that should be created off Wiggins' actions (and further ball movement) and can act as a secondary ball handler to take pressure off Drew if/when it's necessary. The issue here is he's more streaky than I'd like in someone in that role but at least we'd know what to aim for going forward.

Napier is talented enough, but it's not the best way they could use him. He looks best leading from point and can play PG when Wiggins is off the court. We have to also put Wiggins to his best use if winning is the goal. If they go Point Wiggins then he's the PG. They need to be more deliberate about what they are doing. Why use a PG out of position when Wiggins is Point? Someone please tell me. Your suggestion that he can "take the pressure off drew as a secondary ball handler" is the first reasoning I've heard for it. But I just don't accept it because Wiggins will defer to him at times. Heap all the pressure on Wiggins back. Demand he becomes a ball handler when needed. We've seen it. It's often hiding but it's there. But he's leaning on others part of the time, and playing a different role the other half. Take the other PGs out and give it all to Wiggs. Let him run with it.

An additional Wing playing the correct position is the wiser move to play with Wiggins. They hopefully have the better shooting skills and ability to cut and finsih at the rim. If we don't have talented enough shooting guard or forward than that is Rosas job to get one playing here somehow. I think they do in Culver now, and if not then get Nowell up here. For Wiggins on point, it means no more guessing for him because it's all coming through him now. It works. Let's stop hiding from it. It also works with Towns. It doesn't work for the other PGs, so take them out. Play them when Wiggins isn't. Napier is pretty talented. Sure he's a little streaky, but his streakiness you are seeing goes tit for tat with what we are asking him to do. Let him be a leading PG for the bench crew. Let Wiggins handle point with the starters. It's the best fit for who we have, I'm very confident in that now after all these games and years of watching Wiggins/Towns now. That's my two cents anyway.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves