Trade Talk (Part Three)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Re: Trade Talk (Part Three) 

Post#1941 » by minimus » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:01 am

_AIJ_ wrote:RHJ would be good for us

Would love him as backup PF for min contract.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,961

Post#1942 » by Domejandro » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:21 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1952406

Minnesota trades: 3, 16
Detroit trades: 5, Luke Kennard
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#1943 » by Neeva » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:03 am

Is luke kennard really enough to move down two spots and give the 16th pick? i don’t think so.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#1944 » by Neeva » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:19 am

I might do this trade.
1/2 pick wiseman/edwards and Jacob Evans
For Luke Kennard and 5th pick if Avdija was available.

Then draft Whoever falls between Toppin/maxey/Anthony/Hampton with the 16th pick or use it to make another trade.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1945 » by Domejandro » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:17 am

Neeva wrote:Is luke kennard really enough to move down two spots and give the 16th pick? i don’t think so.

I would say so. Twenty-three (will be twenty-four next season) years old, averaged 16 PPG and 4 APG. Volume 40% three-point shooter (6.5 attempts this season before his injury), solid initiator (off-the-bounce and passing), and good off-the-ball.

When you look at a draft that projects to be this sub par, I feel a player like Kennard who perfectly fits the team-vision offensively is a pretty solid get at that cost.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1946 » by minimus » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:13 pm

I am not sure if we can get OG Anunoby AND secure him long term on good contract? Let say he sign extension 60mil/4yrs and TOR trade him for our top3 pick + filler? Why for TOR? They need high end talent either Wiseman or LaMelo would fit nicely as they can be developed with veterans such as Lowry or Gasol. Why for MIN? Anunoby is an ideal fit here: big, strong, mobile defender, can shoot from 3pt.

Draft Wiseman trade him, Evans, Spellman for Anunoby. Trade JJ, Culver, #16 pick for Batum, #8. We draft Hayes at #8. Resign ML, Martin, Beasley. Let Juancho go. Sign Kyle O'Quinn to min deal.

KAT/Reid/O'Quinn
Anunoby/Batum/Vanderbilt
Okogie/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/Hayes/ML
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1947 » by Domejandro » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:14 am

minimus wrote:I am not sure if we can get OG Anunoby AND secure him long term on good contract? Let say he sign extension 60mil/4yrs and TOR trade him for our top3 pick + filler? Why for TOR? They need high end talent either Wiseman or LaMelo would fit nicely as they can be developed with veterans such as Lowry or Gasol. Why for MIN? Anunoby is an ideal fit here: big, strong, mobile defender, can shoot from 3pt.

Draft Wiseman trade him, Evans, Spellman for Anunoby. Trade JJ, Culver, #16 pick for Batum, #8. We draft Hayes at #8. Resign ML, Martin, Beasley. Let Juancho go. Sign Kyle O'Quinn to min deal.

KAT/Reid/O'Quinn
Anunoby/Batum/Vanderbilt
Okogie/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/Hayes/ML

Both of those trades feel negative for Minnesota, especially the OG Anunoby one. OG is not worth a top two draft pick.
minimus
RealGM

Trade Talk (Part Three) 

Post#1948 » by minimus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:32 am

Domejandro wrote:
minimus wrote:I am not sure if we can get OG Anunoby AND secure him long term on good contract? Let say he sign extension 60mil/4yrs and TOR trade him for our top3 pick + filler? Why for TOR? They need high end talent either Wiseman or LaMelo would fit nicely as they can be developed with veterans such as Lowry or Gasol. Why for MIN? Anunoby is an ideal fit here: big, strong, mobile defender, can shoot from 3pt.

KAT/Reid/O'Quinn
Anunoby/Batum/Vanderbilt
Okogie/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/Hayes/ML

Both of those trades feel negative for Minnesota, especially the OG Anunoby one. OG is not worth a top two draft pick.

Anunoby might not have star potential, but he is an ideal fit here. But Thte question is not talent, the question is how much OG can elevate our defense playing next to KAT. And I have faith in Anunoby+Okogie combo in defense.

Let's change second trade. Culver, JJ, #16 for Otto Porter and CHI FRP. Draft Tyler Bey with SRP.

KAT/Reid/O'Quinn
Anunoby/Vanderbilt/Bey
Porter/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/Hayes/ML
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1949 » by Jedzz » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:02 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Neeva wrote:Is luke kennard really enough to move down two spots and give the 16th pick? i don’t think so.

I would say so. Twenty-three (will be twenty-four next season) years old, averaged 16 PPG and 4 APG. Volume 40% three-point shooter (6.5 attempts this season before his injury), solid initiator (off-the-bounce and passing), and good off-the-ball.

When you look at a draft that projects to be this sub par, I feel a player like Kennard who perfectly fits the team-vision offensively is a pretty solid get at that cost.

So this was his first season of 3 career seasons that he reached 30 minutes a game. Prior two seasons was averaging 20 minuts/g. This is also the first season he averaged over 10 pts/g. So he goes from a 9.7 average pts at 22.8 minutes to 15.8 pts per game at 32.9 mins/g. That included a jump from 4.3 3pt attempts up to 6.5 attempts/g. He's held a nice 3pt average hovering around 39% last two seasons. He did get above 40% in year 1, shooting less attempts.

Here's the thing. He's a shooting guard. Do you want to replace Beasley with him? Or do you want to place him behind Beasley for 12-20 minutes max a game. And then in that instance, his output likely drops to below 10pts or below per game. Unless our system has him shooting even more 3s than normal which is possible. But also possible it stays the same.

I'm all in on bringing in proven shooters. But there has to be some perspective on his usage when claiming he's a 16PPG player and talking about what they are willing to trade for him. For comparison, Beasley is 23 years old and was averaging 11+ PPG the two seasons he got 21-23 mins/g. Then jumped to 20.7 PPG once here and getting over 30 mins. Both Bealey and Kennard has their best showing this year and yet on minimum games. Kennard on only 28 games this year(injury?) and Beasley since traded. So how much is trading for a depth guard worth, and or are you traded for him to be a starter instead?
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#1950 » by Mamba4Goat » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:17 am

Kennard's knees scare me a bit. He's also due for a big deal in a year. I'd only consider it if Beasley/Klutch is asking for the moon and willing to burn bridges.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1951 » by Domejandro » Sat Apr 4, 2020 6:28 am

COVID-19 really threw a wrench into this hypothetical, given that it literally was predicated on Houston flaming out on the First Round, but I will throw it out there anyways.

HOU: James Johnson, #15, #16, and seconds
OUT: Robert Covington

Why for Houston? Get cost controlled assets and effectively undo the Covington aspect of the trade. Load up for the 2021 off-season.

MIN: Robert Covington and Jonathan Isaac
OUT: James Johnson, #1, #16, and seconds.

Why for Minnesota? Complement the worst defensive duo in NBA History with two of the top defensive players in the League.

D’Angelo Russell / Jordan McLaughlin
Malik Beasley / Jarrett Culver
Robert Covington / Josh Okogie
Jonathan Isaac / Jake Layman
Karl-Anthony Towns / Naz Reid

ORL: #1
OUT: Jonathan Isaac and #15

Why for Orlando? Get Anthony Edwards (or whomever) and balance out the roster.

I think Minnesota does way too well, but it is a framework.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1952 » by minimus » Wed Apr 8, 2020 11:09 am

Wendell Carter Jr: I want to play at the 4 next year.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bulls/2020/3/1/21160022/bulls-wendell-carter-jr-position-change

I like this trade idea found on BR: Wendell Carter Jr for Culver. Wendell has enough size to defend most of С and has enough quickness to defend most of PF. It is not an ideal fit, but he can bring a lot of things such as good screens, rim protection, rebounding. Draft Avdija, Maledon, Tyler Bey

KAT/Carter/Reid + Spellman
Carter/JJ/Bey + Vanderbilt
Avdija/Layman/Okogie + Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/Maledon/McLaughlin
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1953 » by Mamba4Goat » Wed Apr 8, 2020 11:49 am

Domejandro wrote:COVID-19 really threw a wrench into this hypothetical, given that it literally was predicated on Houston flaming out on the First Round, but I will throw it out there anyways.

HOU: James Johnson, #15, #16, and seconds
OUT: Robert Covington

Why for Houston? Get cost controlled assets and effectively undo the Covington aspect of the trade. Load up for the 2021 off-season.

MIN: Robert Covington and Jonathan Isaac
OUT: James Johnson, #1, #16, and seconds.

Why for Minnesota? Complement the worst defensive duo in NBA History with two of the top defensive players in the League.

D’Angelo Russell / Jordan McLaughlin
Malik Beasley / Jarrett Culver
Robert Covington / Josh Okogie
Jonathan Isaac / Jake Layman
Karl-Anthony Towns / Naz Reid

ORL: #1
OUT: Jonathan Isaac and #15

Why for Orlando? Get Anthony Edwards (or whomever) and balance out the roster.

I think Minnesota does way too well, but it is a framework.

I think Orlando keeps the pick and still needs more.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1954 » by Mamba4Goat » Wed Apr 8, 2020 11:50 am

Speaking of Orlando, where would our pick fall/who'd have to be off the board in order to make Okoke+Orlando 1st for Min's 1st worth it?
minimus
RealGM

Post#1955 » by minimus » Wed Apr 8, 2020 2:10 pm

If MIN get top3 pick, then trade top3 pick for Anonuby, 28th TOR pick. Then trade JJ, Culver, 16th Brooklyn pick for Buddy Hield.

Re-sign Beasley, Martin, McLaughlin. Draft Tyler Bey, Tre Jones.

KAT/Reid/Spellman
Anunoby/Bey/Vanderbilt
Hield/Layman Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/McLaughlin/Jones
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#1956 » by shrink » Wed Apr 8, 2020 10:01 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:I think Orlando keeps the pick and still needs more.

I’m not so sure. Each year, the #1 overall pick is a marketing boon to the lucky team that gets it. His name and picture will lead off stories about the lottery, a month later lead off stories about the draft, he may play in summer league, and he’ll get a lot of press for top newcomers. This is free publicity to a team that often needs it. ORL’s franchise is 26th in value (MIN is 27), and they only fill about 90% of their arena. Someone to get ticket buying fans excited would be especially valuable to a moribund team like ORL.

Issac looks like a better prospect, but he was also drafted in 2017, so he is eligible for his first extension in July 2020. I am not comfortable giving him a max yet, and the four years of rookie scale for the #1 is valuable.

Lastly, I would mention that because of the showcase value of a #1 pick, they are almost never traded. However, MIN might be in the unique position to do so, with this team locked into Towns. If they win the lottery, they should listen to offers, but it should take a fortune to get it. We’ll have a better feel for the value of these players when we see all the research done leading up to the draft.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1957 » by shrink » Thu Apr 9, 2020 3:46 am

What are everyone’s thought on Josh Richardson for a Malik Beasley S&T and the #16?

PHI might be worried about being able to afford locking Richardson in longterm, or so it was suggested by a PHI poster on the trade board. MIN gets a defensive upgrade without hurting their offense.

Btw, Beasley as a starter on the Wolves for 14 games averaged 20/5/2 shooting 42.6% from 3P
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1958 » by shrink » Thu Apr 9, 2020 3:48 am

minimus wrote:If MIN get top3 pick, then trade top3 pick for Anonuby, 28th TOR pick. Then trade JJ, Culver, 16th Brooklyn pick for Buddy Hield.

I would love Anunoby here, but I don’t think that’s TOR’s direction. But who knows? They are a borderline contender, but they’ve still left the door open for a rebuild.

I don’t think Buddy Hield is much of an upgrade over Malik Beasley, and will probably be more expensive in dollars, and costing us youth/picks.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#1959 » by karch34 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 4:02 am

shrink wrote:What are everyone’s thought on Josh Richardson for a Malik Beasley S&T and the #16?

PHI might be worried about being able to afford locking Richardson in longterm, or so it was suggested by a PHI poster on the trade board. MIN gets a defensive upgrade without hurting their offense.

Btw, Beasley as a starter on the Wolves for 14 games averaged 20/5/2 shooting 42.6% from 3P

If Beasley takes a similar contract to Richardson (4/42) I'd rather keep Beasley and pick. Then use that pick for D at the 3 or 4 in draft or trade.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,915

Post#1960 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 9, 2020 5:08 am

shrink wrote:What are everyone’s thought on Josh Richardson for a Malik Beasley S&T and the #16?

Fairly easy no for me
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves