ImageImageImage

Gameday: Minnesota at Oklahoma City (Regular season Game 21)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,560

Re: Gameday: Minnesota at Oklahoma City (Regular season Game 21) 

Post#161 » by Calinks » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:57 am

This loss doesn't even bother me. It sucks but I'm fine. That Grizzlies game broke me. After that I came to the conclusion that we are mediocre so I guess I'm not phased by this. Hate to see it but it is what it is. We don't have the talent to consistently win these games.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#162 » by Jedzz » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:58 am

I didn't get to watch the start. But I'm guessing this team didn't get to build a lead because of my favorite player starting and playing 26 minutes for a 4-13 FT day, 0-6 3FG, 1 board, 2 steals. 0 assists. -4.

I want to talk about that even though the refs ruined the ending of this. It was fun to see them dump a small lead from the 3rd with Graham lunacy in the 4th and then rally back only to get NBA ref'd right out of it. This team just knows how to raise the hairs on the back of the neck and the league seems to revel in it.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,188

Post#163 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Dec 7, 2019 3:59 am

BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#164 » by Jedzz » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:00 am

Calinks wrote:This loss doesn't even bother me. It sucks but I'm fine. That Grizzlies game broke me. After that I came to the conclusion that we are mediocre so I guess I'm not phased by this. Hate to see it but it is what it is. We don't have the talent to consistently win these games.

We have just enough talent, and just not enough wisdom to use it as necessary. More consistent veteran leadership could be enough if we had it. But I guess we don't. Using players wiser could be enough, but that's just never going to happen here.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#165 » by Calinks » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:00 am

Jedzz wrote:I didn't get to watch the start. But I'm guessing this team didn't get to build a lead because of my favorite player starting and playing 26 minutes for a 4-13 FT day, 0-6 3FG, 1 board, 2 steals. 0 assists. -4.

I want to talk about that even though the refs ruined the ending of this. It was fun to see them dump a small lead from the 3rd with Graham lunacy in the 4th and then rally back only to get NBA ref'd right out of it. This team just knows how to raise the hairs on the back of the neck and the league seems to revel in it.

I liked his energy and fight early on. He also came in shooting better than this. That said, Graham has been really bad. He's not an NBA player, at least not with him playing at his current level. Need a better piece in his place.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#166 » by Norseman79 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:00 am

Honestly, people are turning on Ryan S after this? So, the team is without one of their best 2 players, missing another key player, had every reason to win if they simply make free throws after being down 10 in the 4th, get hosed on a ridiculous call, and end up losing in OT in OKC....sounds like that was all Ryan's fault doesn't it...
_AIJ_
RealGM

Post#167 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:01 am

Culver has to learn when to stop shooting. Attack the basket and hope for a foul call. His shooting form is really gross

LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,400

Post#168 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:03 am

Disgusting loss.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,945

Post#169 » by life_saver » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:03 am

I also don't understand why Wolves had only 1 player in backcourt when KAT was shooting that 2nd FT...and the 1 defender who was in backcourt is also their shortest and worst defender...why not have RoCo in backcourt during that?? Such silly and stupid mistakes man
_AIJ_
RealGM

Post#170 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:03 am

Norseman79 wrote:Honestly, people are turning on Ryan S after this? So, the team is without one of their best 2 players, missing another key player, had every reason to win if they simply make free throws after being down 10 in the 4th, get hosed on a ridiculous call, and end up losing in OT in OKC....sounds like that was all Ryan's fault doesn't it...

This is not the first time. These past couple of losses where Ryan’s fault because of his weird rotations and he cant adjust. Which coach on earth will play graham in crunch time? Or Culver has a better game yet he went with teague instead? Lots of reasons

LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#171 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:05 am

Teague, dieng, graham for cp3 and fillers.

Im done. We need smart players that will get kat the ball and not implode.

Cap be damned, we need to save kat from this team.
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#172 » by CP1981 » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:07 am

Ryan wasnt good man.
When Teague sat he should have kept Kat in. He sat both. They had absolutely no offense out there when they both sat. Even Jim Pete called out that lineup. OKC went on a run once both those guys went out

He brought them back in and they immediately went on a run and took the lead

It made too much sense to run the offense through Kat once Jeff was on the bench. Up until that point Culver had more shots than Kat.

I bet the numbers with Graham on the court were bad.

You can even add that Roco should have played more. That should have been a win
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#173 » by Calinks » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:08 am

_AIJ_ wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:Honestly, people are turning on Ryan S after this? So, the team is without one of their best 2 players, missing another key player, had every reason to win if they simply make free throws after being down 10 in the 4th, get hosed on a ridiculous call, and end up losing in OT in OKC....sounds like that was all Ryan's fault doesn't it...

This is not the first time. These past couple of losses where Ryan’s fault because of his weird rotations and he cant adjust. Which coach on earth will play graham in crunch time? Or Culver has a better game yet he went with teague instead? Lots of reasons

I think I heard that Ryan is using analytics for his rotations. They figured out the optimal stretches for players to play and they are following the data when it comes to rotations.

Let's also bring attention to the fact that we played mediocre defense. Despite our shooting woes and problems, playing good defense for four quarters is a must for this roster. We can't get away with letting teams shoot over 50 percent.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#174 » by Jedzz » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:09 am

life_saver wrote:Worst loss I can remember...I don't understand rotation Ryan uses sometimes....does he think that this Wolves team is super deep or something? KAT and RoCo played 32 mins, 33 mins in such a tight game...it's a game where the team is extremely short handed and you play your 2 best players 32 mins, 33 mins??? Especially when you have so many scrubs playing when they are sitting...This is such a winnable match if he played KAT and RoCo few more minutes. Not to mention the mess in last few secs

I tend to agree. And yet, nearly every game is going to seem close enough to then keep them on the floor for 38-40 if needed. It's a slippery slope. It you are making a point to not burn these guys out on a long weekend of games and an incoming b2b Sunday/Monday, I think I get it.

Also, both Towns and Cov I think were sitting on 4 fouls and immediately reached 5 in overtime. Isn't that right? Could that be part of the reason for some minutes off in this game?
life_saver
General Manager

Post#175 » by life_saver » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:09 am

My issues with Ryan so far are mainly with his rotations and his fascination with Graham who is absolutely useless on both ends of court, so not exactly related to this game alone...There is no reason KAT and RoCo should be playing only 32 mins in regular time of a tight match like this when the team is so short handed and when you mainly have scrubs on bench...This team right now doesn't have the luxury of playing such little mins for it's 2 best players considering there are ton of scrubs in roster rn.

Also, during that last FT, you can't be having only 1 player in backcourt, that's such a silly mistake...especially if that's Teague who is the worst defender on team and also a short guy. Just having RoCo in backcourt during that FT would have made sure that Wolves won that game. I wouldn't really blame Ryan for this as sometimes things like this happen but bigger problem is rotations
SCTwins
Rookie
And1: 884

Post#176 » by SCTwins » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:10 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Teague, dieng, graham for cp3 and fillers.

Im done. We need smart players that will get kat the ball and not implode.

Cap be damned, we need to save kat from this team.

I can't stand Chris Paul, but he would be the smartest player we've had since Rubio. He would make us an instant playoff team.
life_saver
General Manager

Post#177 » by life_saver » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:12 am

Jedzz wrote:
life_saver wrote:Worst loss I can remember...I don't understand rotation Ryan uses sometimes....does he think that this Wolves team is super deep or something? KAT and RoCo played 32 mins, 33 mins in such a tight game...it's a game where the team is extremely short handed and you play your 2 best players 32 mins, 33 mins??? Especially when you have so many scrubs playing when they are sitting...This is such a winnable match if he played KAT and RoCo few more minutes. Not to mention the mess in last few secs

I tend to agree. And yet, nearly every game is going to seem close enough to then keep them on the floor for 38-40 if needed. It's a slippery slope. It you are making a point to not burn these guys out on a long weekend of games and an incoming b2b Sunday/Monday, I think I get it.

Also, both Towns and Cov I think were sitting on 4 fouls and immediately reached 5 in overtime. Isn't that right? Could that be part of the reason for some minutes off in this game?

KAT only had like 3 fouls until last 2-3 mins...he wasn't even in foul trouble..He had like 1 foul for entire first half. I get not overplaying players but comeon...playing them for like 36-37 mins for 1 game is fine. KAT basically averaged 37 mins for entire season under Thibs.
Regarding the Sunday game, the chances of winning in OKC is much much higher than chances of this team winning vs Lakers in LA. You need to make best of this Thunder matchup.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#178 » by Jedzz » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:15 am

_AIJ_ wrote:

I get most of that. But how did Culver have a better game than Teague? I didn't watch the first two Qs but looking at Culvers 26 minutes and results looks like I'm witnessing one of the the worst players on the team.

Teague however dribbling out one late possession at the end and then trying to Iso himself, this wasn't cool at all. This was a major mental gaff as much as any I saw late in this game. But Jeff Teague was shooting over 70& this game on 17 shots, and 4 of 5 threes, 9 assists, 2 steals and 5 boards. This is a great Teague game, I just wish he would have shot more in the 4th quarter.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#179 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:16 am

Late games, you basically need a guard that can get his own shot when defenses clamp down. Or have some plays set up for your best player who happens to be a big. Tonight, we had neither.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#180 » by Jedzz » Sat Dec 7, 2019 4:17 am

Why the hell do jerseys need to be tucked in the first place? WTF. Has no one ever had their jersey pulled untucked in this game before? You have got to be kidding me.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves