ImageImageImage

Game 34: Minnesota Timberwolves (12-21) vs. Golden State Warriors (9-26) - 8:00 PM ET

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Game 34: Minnesota Timberwolves (12-21) vs. Golden State Warriors (9-26) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#41 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:18 am

Can't even tank. Now what? Bring Towns and Wiggins back for just 4th quarters? Trip to the finals?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Re: Game 34: Minnesota Timberwolves (12-21) vs. Golden State Warriors (9-26) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#42 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:34 am

I knew Shabazz was better than Tyus! XD
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#43 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:45 am

I don't know how the hell Naz Reid didn't get drafted. Huge miss. I also don't know how the wolves identified him right away.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#44 » by TheDominator273 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 3:50 am

Calinks wrote:I don't know how the hell Naz Reid didn't get drafted. Huge miss. I also don't know how the wolves identified him right away.
Have to remember the 2nd round is weird. Contracts aren't guaranteed so many players/agents will tell teams not to pick them in the 2nd so they can choose the best destination.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#45 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jan 3, 2020 4:05 am

Can't believe we lost 10 in a row and we're only back 2 losses for 8th...Cavs & Grizz games coming up..
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#46 » by CP1981 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 4:05 am

Calinks wrote:I don't know how the hell Naz Reid didn't get drafted. Huge miss. I also don't know how the wolves identified him right away.

If I remember correctly there were a lot of concerns about his weight, conditioning, and lack of athleticism
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,954

Post#47 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 3, 2020 4:45 am

The fall was stunning for Reid, considering the McDonald’s All-American was being projected to go in the lottery as one of the draft’s first 14 picks when he came to LSU last June.

However, questions about his motor and how hard he played caused him to slip in mock drafts throughout his only collegiate season in Baton Rouge.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_0141bbac-9386-11e9-8c98-5f5637337c6d.html
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,954

Post#48 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 3, 2020 4:53 am

Calinks wrote:I also don't know how the wolves identified him right away.

People tag Gersson as just an analytics guy because he came from Houston, but his background is in scouting. He built up RGV into one of the better G League franchises when he was in charge of it.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#49 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:25 am

Identified him, and then some how misidentified how ready he was, what he could serve as. Just thankful they found him.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#50 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:28 am

theGreatRC wrote:Can't believe we lost 10 in a row and we're only back 2 losses for 8th...Cavs & Grizz games coming up..

What a wasted opportunity after that fast start. Never thought I'd see such a thing. Even .500 after that start would have been enough to carry for a long time. Who knows. Maybe it was the cushion they needed to implode just enough to reinvent themselves and find out who they have as a team.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#51 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:32 am

CP1981 wrote:

If I remember correctly there were a lot of concerns about his weight, conditioning, and lack of athleticism
Which people kept claiming about him right up until last week, even with how he played in the summer, preseason, gleague staring them in the face. The power of impressions in sports press.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#52 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 3, 2020 5:35 am

Calinks wrote:I knew Shabazz was better than Tyus! XD
Hopefully he can retain 30 mins when/if others come back.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#53 » by Dewey » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:00 am

Jedzz wrote:
Calinks wrote:I knew Shabazz was better than Tyus! XD
Hopefully he can retain 30 mins when/if others come back.

Good for him ... If he can stay healthy and continue to hit some shots he’s suddenly a huge asset.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#54 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:40 am

I've always been a big fan of G, only thing I hated were his travels and goofy run, but he's always been solid since he was a rookie. I really want to give KAT & G another chance at the 4 & 5..with Naz coming in for G and Noah coming in for KAT.

Kelan Martin is also solid, rebounds well for his position and can space the floor.

Like the way Bazz Napier has come alive, hopefully this Bazz is here to stay until we get a new PG(IF we get a new PG)

I'd like to see this rotation for at least the next month when KAT & Wiggs are back

Bazz/Culver/JMac
Wiggs/Okogie/Culver
Covington/Martin/Culver
KAT/Cov/Vonleh
G/Naz/KAT

First unit has great pace & good space; let G work the corners, which gives Wiggs room to attack..KAT & Cov are your main shooters so keep them on opposites ends of the court, Bazz is there for ball handling insurance if Wiggs has nowhere to go.

Second & third Unit has a lot of toughness that we've seen these past few games, those energy units that hustle and play together are the types of guys that will give teams life..the trick is seeing if your best players (KAT & Wiggs) give you that same energy..if they do, we can be very scary.

Obviously I can't predict the future, but I'm curious to see how this lineup will do in Ryan's offense. KAT & G didn't work the first time around, but maybe it can work a second time
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,827

Post#55 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:16 pm

Klomp wrote:

The fall was stunning for Reid, considering the McDonald’s All-American was being projected to go in the lottery as one of the draft’s first 14 picks when he came to LSU last June.

However, questions about his motor and how hard he played caused him to slip in mock drafts throughout his only collegiate season in Baton Rouge.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_0141bbac-9386-11e9-8c98-5f5637337c6d.html

Naz might not be much of an athlete, but he is ridiculously skilled for a guy his size. Reminds me a little bit of Oliver Miller who could have been a superstar if he could have got in shape.
DaKid
Senior
And1: 186

Post#56 » by DaKid » Sat Jan 4, 2020 12:55 am

theGreatRC wrote:I've always been a big fan of G, only thing I hated were his travels and goofy run, but he's always been solid since he was a rookie. I really want to give KAT & G another chance at the 4 & 5..with Naz coming in for G and Noah coming in for KAT.

Kelan Martin is also solid, rebounds well for his position and can space the floor.

Like the way Bazz Napier has come alive, hopefully this Bazz is here to stay until we get a new PG(IF we get a new PG)

I'd like to see this rotation for at least the next month when KAT & Wiggs are back

Bazz/Culver/JMac
Wiggs/Okogie/Culver
Covington/Martin/Culver
KAT/Cov/Vonleh
G/Naz/KAT

First unit has great pace & good space; let G work the corners, which gives Wiggs room to attack..KAT & Cov are your main shooters so keep them on opposites ends of the court, Bazz is there for ball handling insurance if Wiggs has nowhere to go.

Second & third Unit has a lot of toughness that we've seen these past few games, those energy units that hustle and play together are the types of guys that will give teams life..the trick is seeing if your best players (KAT & Wiggs) give you that same energy..if they do, we can be very scary.

Obviously I can't predict the future, but I'm curious to see how this lineup will do in Ryan's offense. KAT & G didn't work the first time around, but maybe it can work a second time

Problem isn't Kat or Wiggins, problem is that none of these guys would/could play like this until our 2 stars were out. Question is, will these guys go back to not knowing how to play when those 2 come back.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#57 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 4, 2020 3:07 am

DaKid wrote:Problem isn't Kat or Wiggins, problem is that none of these guys would/could play like this until our 2 stars were out. Question is, will these guys go back to not knowing how to play when those 2 come back.

Sounds a bit like a chicken or egg thing though. One thing that has always been said is that the great players make those around them better, not worse. Whether by leading them, or by simply drawing all attention so they have more opportune chances. It seems to be true.

Why then are we claiming that these players showing they can play well as units of 5 at a time without Kat/WIggins, then revert to "not knowing how to play" when those 2 come back. Seems we are overlooking any kind of fault in Kat/Wiggins in this, or the coaches in this. Maybe it's not exactly any of the players' faults, Kat/Wigs or otherwise.

In this case, maybe it's the coaching's fault. We were having this discussion in another thread. About how all the players are told their job is to feed these two, these two are the team, the rest of them are just there to feed them first, they are better, they are the show, know your place and all that. Well. There in could lie the problem. Not with Wiggins/Kat, not with these guys who play great when those two are out. But how they are told to play together that might be the problem.

This system is all new here. But I still hear the players talking about Kat/Wiggins in every interview. I know they are still telling these guys the same things. Even if they are supposed to be all jacking up 3s, we see them sending it around to get back to those guys and the shot clock getting near zero a bit often. We think, why don't they take those open shots? They're hesitating. Why? Maybe because the first thought is always "can i feed Kat/Wiggins?" if the answer is yes, there it goes. If the answer is no, now they have to shoot, but the hesitation is already in stone. Could it be that simple? I don't know.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#58 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:14 pm

Ryan was saying after the recent game. He's not telling the team how many shots need to go to guys like Wiggs/Kat before these recent games. There is no slant as such because they aren't there, so he didn't mandate that for anyone. Could this be the key for putting everyone in a better position to chip in? This then finally allows the cream of that day to rise. Could the team find a way to do that all season long with Kat/Wiggs playing and just allow their talent to rise on days it can, and if it's others on any given day you allow that? Stop forcing a shot quota? Stop trying to force a shot quota with your minutes and lineups. Allow the players to show you who will rise/fall that day and let it play out.
DaKid
Senior
And1: 186

Post#59 » by DaKid » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:14 pm

Jedzz wrote:
DaKid wrote:Problem isn't Kat or Wiggins, problem is that none of these guys would/could play like this until our 2 stars were out. Question is, will these guys go back to not knowing how to play when those 2 come back.

Sounds a bit like a chicken or egg thing though. One thing that has always been said is that the great players make those around them better, not worse. Whether by leading them, or by simply drawing all attention so they have more opportune chances. It seems to be true.

Why then are we claiming that these players showing they can play well as units of 5 at a time without Kat/WIggins, then revert to "not knowing how to play" when those 2 come back. Seems we are overlooking any kind of fault in Kat/Wiggins in this, or the coaches in this. Maybe it's not exactly any of the players' faults, Kat/Wigs or otherwise.

In this case, maybe it's the coaching's fault. We were having this discussion in another thread. About how all the players are told their job is to feed these two, these two are the team, the rest of them are just there to feed them first, they are better, they are the show, know your place and all that. Well. There in could lie the problem. Not with Wiggins/Kat, not with these guys who play great when those two are out. But how they are told to play together that might be the problem.

This system is all new here. But I still hear the players talking about Kat/Wiggins in every interview. I know they are still telling these guys the same things. Even if they are supposed to be all jacking up 3s, we see them sending it around to get back to those guys and the shot clock getting near zero a bit often. We think, why don't they take those open shots? They're hesitating. Why? Maybe because the first thought is always "can i feed Kat/Wiggins?" if the answer is yes, there it goes. If the answer is no, now they have to shoot, but the hesitation is already in stone. Could it be that simple? I don't know.

Guys are hitting open shots now. That wasn't happening b4. Don't tell me that kat and Wiggins weren't making ppl better when they are getting open shots for them. And Wiggins has been playing really good defense as of late. Towns not so much. But regardless, the other guys should be showing that effort whether Wiggins and towns are out there or not. Hopefully it's not a crutch mentality
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#60 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:31 pm

DaKid wrote:
Guys are hitting open shots now. That wasn't happening b4. Don't tell me that kat and Wiggins weren't making ppl better when they are getting open shots for them. And Wiggins has been playing really good defense as of late. Towns not so much. But regardless, the other guys should be showing that effort whether Wiggins and towns are out there or not. Hopefully it's not a crutch mentality

I don't really get where you are seeing that these other players aren't showing effort when Wiggs and Towns are playing. The few that have even played with them are being asked to play differently with these two (shot quota for these two), and there isn't much familiarity playing with them yet.

I think you first have to look at who is now playing together that has not been. Reid last couple games are his first. He's a difference maker. Napier past three games are his first at 30 minutes, and it's paid off huge for him. He's been playing second guard to other point guards for much of the season. Many examples. Other Gleague players are the players that McLaughlin knows best at this time. When you get two or three of them together on the floor, you can tell they know how to play together. Previously, one at time was getting a call up to actually play in a game. So they are pulled into a group of players they aren't familiar playing with yet, the only thing in common is the game plans are the same. More examples are there.

Besides Martin and Mclaughlin, I'm not sure how many of these guys even have any minutes with Wiggins and Towns yet.

If you are talking more about Dieng, I would guess it's just more of the same. When Kat is playing Dieng isn't and isn't getting as many minutes. We aren't seeing Teague at all, so that's a big change, maybe a big positive. People have talked about how his fit isn't great with this team now. For Okogie, I think it's the fact Napier was so much more effective. Okogie isn't being asked to do that much. Frankly, he still has been messing up same as usual. But they seem to have gone from rotations with no shooters to just enough shooters to help. You said guys are hitting shots. But these aren't the same guys entirely taking shots, and the ones that are the usual suspects are now getting more shots, more time, more in the flow of the game maybe.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves