ImageImageImage

Game 35: Minnesota Timberwolves (13-21) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (10-25) - 7:30 PM ET

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Re: Game 35: Minnesota Timberwolves (13-21) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (10-25) - 7:30 PM ET 

Post#81 » by Mattya » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:12 pm

You start Kat and Gorgui, find out if it will work, keep trying to up G's value until the offseason. If he continues to play like this and they fit great, if they don't then he is probably a pretty positive expiring contract to a team looking for a center that wants to compete.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Game 35: Minnesota Timberwolves (13-21) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (10-25) - 7:30 PM ET 

Post#82 » by Jedzz » Mon Jan 6, 2020 6:52 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Calinks wrote:
Jedzz wrote:They have to do something about Okogie playing so poorly. Somehow they have to help his confidence and get him back to basics somehow. Should be a Gleague trip. What is holding them back from doing so? Are they hoping to trade him or something?

I wouldn't mind sending him down. Making him be a go ot guy down there. It did wonders for Shabazz. That said he may be able to eventually work his way out of it in the NBA but G-league he is guaranteed lots of PT.

Going down to the gleague won't help him. I don't want him to go down there to try and be a first option because he simply diesnt have the skillset nor feel for that.

Why would "he try to be a first option"? Can't the coaches coach down there? I think they've already shown they can. They can have him working on whatever the team wants him to work on, with more minutes, less pressure, and maybe more specific attention to his needs than he is getting right now. The guy needs some attention and refinement an many things right now. Clearly the large amount of minutes he got last season didn't develop him alone.

Or, is Okogie off limits for the same reason Culver is, simply because of where they were drafted? Never fails, always seems to come back to this.

It seemed to help KBD a lot to visit the Gleague team. He looked great when he came back, although lately he's been falling off the wagon a bit. Might need a refresher.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,320

Post#83 » by Calinks » Mon Jan 6, 2020 7:37 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Calinks wrote:I wouldn't mind sending him down. Making him be a go ot guy down there. It did wonders for Shabazz. That said he may be able to eventually work his way out of it in the NBA but G-league he is guaranteed lots of PT.

Going down to the gleague won't help him. I don't want him to go down there to try and be a first option because he simply diesnt have the skillset nor feel for that.

Why would "he try to be a first option"? Can't the coaches coach down there? I think they've already shown they can. They can have him working on whatever the team wants him to work on, with more minutes, less pressure, and maybe more specific attention to his needs than he is getting right now. The guy needs some attention and refinement an many things right now. Clearly the large amount of minutes he got last season didn't develop him alone.

Or, is Okogie off limits for the same reason Culver is, simply because of where they were drafted? Never fails, always seems to come back to this.

It seemed to help KBD a lot to visit the Gleague team. He looked great when he came back, although lately he's been falling off the wagon a bit. Might need a refresher.

I was the one who implied he be a first option. My reasoning is that it would give him a lot of reps to break out of his slump and hopefully find his grove and build confidence. I get the reason why some think its a bad idea though, I do agree that Okogie is at his best (at least for now) when he is limited and focusing on defensive energy and hustle.

I just want him feeling good about his game but I don't want to sacrifice NBA wins for it right now. He definitely needs to focus on being a spot up shooter. Then he can move on to attacking and handling. If he could be relied upon to knock down 3's he would one of the top weapons on this team.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#84 » by Jedzz » Tue Jan 7, 2020 1:10 am

Calinks wrote:[He definitely needs to focus on being a spot up shooter. Then he can move on to attacking and handling. If he could be relied upon to knock down 3's he would one of the top weapons on this team.

Right. so. Stick him in the G and tell them they want him taking 3s all game. In practice, 3s. Games, 3s. Nothing but. They have room for that. He has to bring something to the game. He had a few games early in the rookie season where he hit them in groups. He can do it. They have to help him find that again and then find a way to repeat it.

On this team he's just jacking them under fire and apparently not learning anything from it. It's not looking anymore refined, he's concerned with too many other things at once, defense and whatever. Last season he got way off track when someone was teaching him how to draw fouls, H worked way to hard trying to draw fouls and the rest of his shooting went to pot.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#85 » by Dewey » Tue Jan 7, 2020 1:52 am

Okogie is what he is ... i like the kid, but I just don’t see him developing a reliable 3pt shot to fit in as anything more than a role player. He has the rare energy to come and impact games, and if he doesn’t get greedy, he can have a good 5-10 years of filling a role off the bench. Nothing to sneeze at.

Dieng ... I gotta say he’s made me think more seriously about Kats trade value and the potential opportunity to acquire a #1 alpha omega goto guy team leader.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,320

Post#86 » by Calinks » Tue Jan 7, 2020 1:57 am

Dewey wrote:Okogie is what he is ... i like the kid, but I just don’t see him developing a reliable 3pt shot to fit in as anything more than a role player. He has the rare energy to come and impact games, and if he doesn’t get greedy, he can have a good 5-10 years of filling a role off the bench. Nothing to sneeze at

I think he has potential to be better. STill a role player but a really good role player like ROCO, Patrick Bev, Marcus Smart level. Those are super valuable players that make championship teams. Okogie has a chance to be that. His shooting mechanics are really good, he has the desire and passion. He also has sneaky athleticism. He has all the physical tools he just needs to get the mental aspect under control and the mechanics.

In the past we have dumped role players left and right because they weren't stars. We need to start developing and keeping those guys, that's how you build a good team and eventually attract free agents.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#87 » by Jedzz » Tue Jan 7, 2020 2:00 am

Dewey wrote:Okogie is what he is ... i like the kid, but I just don’t see him developing a reliable 3pt shot to fit in as anything more than a role player. He has the rare energy to come and impact games, and if he doesn’t get greedy, he can have a good 5-10 years of filling a role off the bench. Nothing to sneeze at
I don't know if he's got that long a future if he keeps playing like he has in the last 15 games. He's not getting the help he needs lately to develop. They are just using his defensive energy and boldness. Lot's of potential to do more, not being realized.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,908

Post#88 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 7, 2020 4:52 am

Calinks wrote:

I think he has potential to be better. STill a role player but a really good role player like ROCO, Patrick Bev, Marcus Smart level. Those are super valuable players that make championship teams. Okogie has a chance to be that. His shooting mechanics are really good, he has the desire and passion. He also has sneaky athleticism. He has all the physical tools he just needs to get the mental aspect under control and the mechanics.

In the past we have dumped role players left and right because they weren't stars. We need to start developing and keeping those guys, that's how you build a good team and eventually attract free agents.

That last part I definitely agree with.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#89 » by MN7725 » Tue Jan 7, 2020 6:23 am

Calinks wrote:

not really, he has a low release point, biggest criticism draft gurus had

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves