ImageImageImage

Game 36: Minnesota Timberwolves (14-21) @ Memphis Grizzlies (15-22) - 8:00 PM ET

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Re: Game 36: Minnesota Timberwolves (14-21) @ Memphis Grizzlies (15-22) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#141 » by CP1981 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 3:46 am

I mean it's been pretty clear to everyone watching that you can't play Napier and Teage together. Well everyone but Ryan

His rotations and feel for the game has been iffy all year. I hope he gets it together. I'm a Hawks fan so I know about losing and wasting time on a bad coach and GM.

Hopefully you guys have the right coach and GM
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 708

Re: Game 36: Minnesota Timberwolves (14-21) @ Memphis Grizzlies (15-22) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#142 » by karch34 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 3:47 am

Jedzz wrote:A lot of heart in that Grizz team. Lots of gritty players that just kept pushing all game. vs our partial gamers and confused coach.

Rebuilding or not they have had the culture of grit and grind for a long time. Players have changed but the mentality is still there.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#143 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 8, 2020 3:48 am

MN7725 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Good game. You guys just caught us at the wrong time. We are on a hot streak and fully healthy.

Also did someone steal Dillon Brook's girl or insult his mom or something? That man sees a Minnesota jersey and goes super saiyan!

?

its 3-0 Grizz for season, none were particularly close

I meant just for this game, not the others. One of the other wins it felt like MIN overlooked Memphis and we caught you guys with your pants down. Don't recall off the top of my head much about the other game.

JJJ has really found his defense of late and Crowder is actually making stuff. Tyus has found his offensive game again. We also have everyone healthy which I feel like is a rare thing for us. We have been gelling really well the last few games.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,107

Post#144 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 8, 2020 7:49 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
CP1981 wrote:Is Wiggins still sick? He was just kind of out there

When he plays with teague and napier, his job is to stand in the corner. Dane has mentioned it a few times.

Wiggs dropped 11 in the 3rd, the no shots the rest of the game (other than that last one) because teague and napier both dominate the ball.

We ran 1 pnr for wiggs in the 4th which resulted in the cov 3.

While I don't think it's as easy as "his job is to stand in the corner," I do think there's something to do with his stagnation off the ball.

Fact is, he's practically never had to play off the ball in his life so he never had to learn how to play off the ball. There's no movement, no cutting, no creation of driving or passing lanes.

That being said, it's important to understand that everything that happens on the basketball court isn't necessarily drawn up. Just because a player stands in the corner doesn't mean that's what he was told to do. People like to put the blame on coaches for things like this, but we need to remember that players aren't robots. Telling a player to do something a certain way doesn't guarantee that it's going to happen exactly that way, so watching a play go poorly doesn't necessarily mean it was a poor play. It was just executed poorly. You could draw up the identical play on consecutive possessions and see it executed completely differently. There are many variables over the course of a 48-minute basketball game.

Now, coaches can do more to engage players who have tendencies to stay in the corner without the ball. That is something that Saunders probably could do better with Wiggins at times. But it's not as simple as saying he told Wiggins to stand in the corner on those plays.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#145 » by Jedzz » Wed Jan 8, 2020 7:44 pm

Klomp wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
CP1981 wrote:Is Wiggins still sick? He was just kind of out there

When he plays with teague and napier, his job is to stand in the corner. Dane has mentioned it a few times.

Wiggs dropped 11 in the 3rd, the no shots the rest of the game (other than that last one) because teague and napier both dominate the ball.

We ran 1 pnr for wiggs in the 4th which resulted in the cov 3.

While I don't think it's as easy as "his job is to stand in the corner," I do think there's something to do with his stagnation off the ball.

Fact is, he's practically never had to play off the ball in his life so he never had to learn how to play off the ball. There's no movement, no cutting, no creation of driving or passing lanes.

That being said, it's important to understand that everything that happens on the basketball court isn't necessarily drawn up. Just because a player stands in the corner doesn't mean that's what he was told to do. People like to put the blame on coaches for things like this, but we need to remember that players aren't robots. Telling a player to do something a certain way doesn't guarantee that it's going to happen exactly that way, so watching a play go poorly doesn't necessarily mean it was a poor play. It was just executed poorly. You could draw up the identical play on consecutive possessions and see it executed completely differently. There are many variables over the course of a 48-minute basketball game.

Now, coaches can do more to engage players who have tendencies to stay in the corner without the ball. That is something that Saunders probably could do better with Wiggins at times. But it's not as simple as saying he told Wiggins to stand in the corner on those plays.

If the PG and Center(of PF) are engaged in a two man action of some sort, that leaves both Wings out to pasture. The wing close by on the strong side is more likely to get involved, the weakside Wing will position himself in the corner or at least on the opposit far arc. Right? I mean if they are playing a 5 out of sorts, there are places they need to be, that their team mates expect them to be.

If the original action takes too long to develop or gets stumped by the defense, this is when you would hope the Wings start creating options for who is now on ball. Wish he would cut more, but I suppose it has a lot to do with feeling comfortable with who he's playing with and having just been out for a little while and with all the new faces playing maybe he's just not yet confident in what they will do in order to go more off script. That's always sort of been his issue and the reason some of us want him playing PG on ball. That's the only time he's truly looked like a star player if you ask me. Even while playing on ball in possessions that get extended, these are the ones where he will stay engaged and get back into it by cutting to the net or finishing put backs. He's in the flow already. Apparently the team won't committ to that for whatever reason.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,945

Post#146 » by life_saver » Wed Jan 8, 2020 10:29 pm

Napier and Teague should never be on court at the same time. Hope Ryan learns from this
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#147 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 9, 2020 2:32 am

You are right. I don't know why he went back to that. THat was the losing equation so far this season. someone got hurt right? Then he decides to just send two Pgs out together? Nah. Don't do it.

The Cleveland game he tried to use Teague more, just like in this one he comes in after 8 minutes into the first and stays for 12 to 15 minutes straight, then the plan is for Teague to come back in the fourth. That wasn't the case the 3 previous games. Hewould have left Teague in to the end in the Cleveland game but there was that comeback attenpt made where our scoring dropped out and one guard lit us up. So Napier had to come back in and save that game. In the Memphis game, he let Teague stay out there and get the high minutes off bench even when Napier came back. It's just no good.

I wish they could trade him for a peanut. The fit for this offense just isn't there. I guess expirings aren't that coveted anymore or the team isn't really trying to trade him.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#148 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 9, 2020 5:01 am

Jedzz wrote:I wish they could trade him for a peanut. The fit for this offense just isn't there. I guess expirings aren't that coveted anymore or the team isn't really trying to trade him.

Trades usually don't start happening until the final week before the trade deadline.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

YaleS
Sophomore
And1: 63

Post#149 » by YaleS » Thu Jan 9, 2020 8:30 am

CP1981 wrote:I mean it's been pretty clear to everyone watching that you can't play Napier and Teage together. Well everyone but Ryan

His rotations and feel for the game has been iffy all year. I hope he gets it together. I'm a Hawks fan so I know about losing and wasting time on a bad coach and GM.

Hopefully you guys have the right coach and GM

Agreed, add to this a guy named Treveon Graham`s 20 mpg, Vonleh taking mins over Gorgui/Naz and most importantly forcing a system of shooting tons of 3s while you have a team full of no shooters. I`m quite disappointed in Ryan
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#150 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 9, 2020 11:36 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I wish they could trade him for a peanut. The fit for this offense just isn't there. I guess expirings aren't that coveted anymore or the team isn't really trying to trade him.

Trades usually don't start happening until the final week before the trade deadline.

It's a deadline, doesn't mean you have to nut up to it. Unlesss you are a selling team and have no desire to save your season. Got to try and get every ounce of value I suppose. Wait till you see the red of their eyes!

Tuesday, December 24, 2019
Traded G Jordan Clarkson to Utah for G Dante Exum and second-round draft picks in 2022 and 2023.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#151 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 9, 2020 3:47 pm

Jedzz wrote:It's a deadline, doesn't mean you have to nut up to it. Unlesss you are a selling team and have no desire to save your season. Got to try and get every ounce of value I suppose. Wait till you see the red of their eyes!

Doesn't mean you have to, but that's what happens. It takes two or more teams to make a trade. We can be as desperate as possible to make a deal, but it still can't happen until another team says yes too.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves