Teague/Graham to Hawks for Crabbe per Woj

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Re: Teague/Graham to Hawks for Crabbe per Woj 

Post#61 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:40 pm

When you are as limited as we are, you got to roll the dice. Chances are low but maybe Crabbe gets it together here. We are shooters paradise so if he has it in him to shoot, he will get the chance. Best case scenario he blows up, becomes a reliable, deadly marksman, and our team looks all the better because teams can't leave the 2 guard open all day and pack the paint.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#62 » by shrink » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:41 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I have Teague in my 16 team fantasy money league and he will most likely lose value with this deal unless he can share some court time with Young which I doubt. However, I will hold on to him for a little while just in case. What are the chances that these players are available to play Friday or Saturday?

Unlikely. They have to pass physicals before the trade is official.

Good luck!
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#63 » by shrink » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:43 pm

Calinks wrote:When you are as limited as we are, you got to roll the dice. Chances are low but maybe Crabbe gets it together here. We are shooters paradise so if he has it in him to shoot, he will get the chance. Best case scenario he blows up, becomes a reliable, deadly marksman, and our team looks all the better because teams can't leave the 2 guard open all day and pack the paint.

Right. And even if he never becomes a valuable overall two-way player, he still helps the team if his presence on the three point line forces opponents to stop packing the inside.

If players can’t face the defenses they will play on the future, we’re wasting this season as a learning experience.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#64 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:47 pm

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I have Teague in my 16 team fantasy money league and he will most likely lose value with this deal unless he can share some court time with Young which I doubt. However, I will hold on to him for a little while just in case. What are the chances that these players are available to play Friday or Saturday?

Good luck!

Can't he get there today and pass a physical tomorrow. I've always wondered why this is so slow.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#65 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:52 pm

Calinks wrote:When you are as limited as we are, you got to roll the dice. Chances are low but maybe Crabbe gets it together here. We are shooters paradise so if he has it in him to shoot, he will get the chance. Best case scenario he blows up, becomes a reliable, deadly marksman, and our team looks all the better because teams can't leave the 2 guard open all day and pack the paint.

What is the point really? Give the time to the young guys who we have signed long-term.
shrink
RealGM

Post#66 » by shrink » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:52 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:

Good luck!

Can't he get there today and pass a physical tomorrow. I've always wondered why this is so slow.

I don’t remember seeing it happen that fast before, and neither team is going to be rushing it for a crucial game. Also, trades aren’t finalized by the front office right away, so as long as the new player doesn’t officially join your team, other GM’s might ask to squeeze into the current deal - but only if they don’t consummate it right away.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#67 » by karch34 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 am

MN7725 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

what flexibility is gained other than a roster spot and like $1.5 more room under tax?

Can be argued less flexibility for a high level (highly paid) player since Crabbe can't be combined like Teague could

Agreed. I think only possibility (and this is not my area) is we have something lined up with a team in a bad cap spot and really needed the TPE. Like I said speculation outside of my zone but think that would allow Dieng + TPE to Portland for Bazemore and 2nds.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#68 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:42 am

SO_MONEY wrote:

What is the point really? Give the time to the young guys who we have signed long-term.

I don't think they are just nailing this season in. They want to find pieces and see what the team looks like as close to full capacity as possible. With the players we have right now, we are probably like 20-50 percent maximum potentinal of what the system would look like.

We are doing what we can to get that level up by any means. Giving Grabbe a shot to see if he can be valuable is more experimentation. We want as much data as possible as we try to perfect our system and build the roster. All of that work started as soon as Rosas took the job and it will continue through his entire tenure. Constantly making adjustments, updating the roster, trying new looks, to see what works best.

Young guys are getting plenty of play time anyway, if not in the NBA in the G-League or practice.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM

Post#69 » by shrink » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:34 am

karch34 wrote:
MN7725 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

what flexibility is gained other than a roster spot and like $1.5 more room under tax?

Can be argued less flexibility for a high level (highly paid) player since Crabbe can't be combined like Teague could

Agreed. I think only possibility (and this is not my area) is we have something lined up with a team in a bad cap spot and really needed the TPE. Like I said speculation outside of my zone but think that would allow Dieng + TPE to Portland for Bazemore and 2nds.

Yeah, I question that line as well. The TPE is only the size of Graham’s deal ($1.7), so I suppose that we could absorb a tiny contract. And maybe it gives us the “flexibility” to re-sign Crabbe with Bird Rights if he does well in this audition (Teague was not coming back). But those two things seem pretty trivial to claim that part of the value is “flexibility.”
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#70 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:21 am

shrink wrote: so as long as the new player doesn’t officially join your team, other GM’s might ask to squeeze into the current deal - but only if they don’t consummate it right away.

Seem to remember some of that going on last deadline and this summer.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#71 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:26 am

I can't believe Graham ended up doing just what his stats said they would before he came here. And that is his shot would disappear as his his minutes increased. We argued about it all summer, then in the preseason he played like a man possessed and I thought I pegged him all wrong. Then the season starts and like magic it was all vaporized. Happy to see a roster spot open, Graham no longer chewing up minutes. Good luck to him.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,943

Post#72 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:27 am

shrink wrote:

Good luck!

Do teams usually announce the trade before the trade is official? Both Atlanta and Minnesota have put out press releases announcing the trade with no mention of "pending physical."
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#73 » by wildvikeswolves » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:35 am

shrink wrote:Four years of Russell on the max is my biggest nightmare.

It’s hard to believe we went after Aaron Holiday, and also Russell, who is a completely different player in almost every way.

I think I’m with you on this now Shrink. Unfortunately it seems like the FO has huge love for him.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#74 » by Nick K » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 am

Calinks wrote:I think its a solid deal.

Crabbe has a chance to shine. I know he has been rough but I have said from month 1, this team is a shooters paradise. Crabbe is a shooter albeit an inconsistent and poor one this season. He should get plenty of chances to get that jumper falling in this system if he plays.

This also opens up minutes. I will take 20 minutes of Crabbe taking open threes and maybe getting hot over 20 minutes of Graham bricking everything in sight.

This is a great chance to show the potential of our team system to other shooters. If Crabbe does remerge, we are a better team and we look great for what we did for his career this season. Makes other shooters think "Man, I should play in that system."

I also like it because we can sign Kelon Martin who I think has a future. I want to lock him up and hopefully we do that now with that roster spot.

Biggest worry is lack of PG depth. We can do point Wiggins and Culver but I don't think they are particularly good enough to run a team.

I agree Calinks. Another thing to consider is Vanterpool had Crabbe in Portland for years. Prigioni had Crabbe in NJ if I'm not mistaken. These coaches know exactly what we're getting. That makes me feel pretty good about the trade.

More trades to happen from what I hear. Okogie, Napier, Vonleh and Bell should all be moved. Yes, Okogie who is a bust. I liked in this order DiVincinzo, Shamet or Okogie in the draft so I was ok with Okogie. Okogie is a teaser and a disaster more often than not. I was wrong on him.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#75 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:39 am

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:

Good luck!

Do teams usually announce the trade before the trade is official? Both Atlanta and Minnesota have put out press releases announcing the trade with no mention of "pending physical."

Pending them accepting his steel plate armored foot?
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by karch34 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:52 am

Jedzz wrote:I can't believe Graham ended up doing just what his stats said they would before he came here. And that is his shot would disappear as his his minutes increased. We argued about it all summer, then in the preseason he played like a man possessed and I thought I pegged him all wrong. Then the season starts and like magic it was all vaporized. Happy to see a roster spot open, Graham no longer chewing up minutes. Good luck to him.

I think he did fine for what he was but can't play both a Graham and Okogie major minutes on most teams. 2 with good D no O and 3 with good D no O is tough combo as part of your 9/10 man rotation.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#77 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:55 am

karch34 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I can't believe Graham ended up doing just what his stats said they would before he came here. And that is his shot would disappear as his his minutes increased. We argued about it all summer, then in the preseason he played like a man possessed and I thought I pegged him all wrong. Then the season starts and like magic it was all vaporized. Happy to see a roster spot open, Graham no longer chewing up minutes. Good luck to him.

I think he did fine for what he was but can't play both a Graham and Okogie major minutes on most teams. 2 with good D no O and 3 with good D no O is tough combo as part of your 9/10 man rotation.

I believe you are right. Especially for this system.
karch34
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by karch34 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:57 am

wildvikeswolves wrote:
shrink wrote:Four years of Russell on the max is my biggest nightmare.

It’s hard to believe we went after Aaron Holiday, and also Russell, who is a completely different player in almost every way.

I think I’m with you on this now Shrink. Unfortunately it seems like the FO has huge love for him.

I so wonder if some of that is strategic, in that KAT and everyone sees they're really trying to get his buddy so he's happy but really they're trying to get a better fit....especially at that price.
shrink
RealGM

Post#79 » by shrink » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:16 am

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:

Good luck!

Yes. Trades have been announced, then canceled when a player fails his new team’s physical. DMo (Motiejunas, if I spelled it right)
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#80 » by CP1981 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:22 am

Sucks that Jeff didnt work out for you guys. I'm going to still watch Wolves games. I really want you guys to turn it around. I know how it is to support a team that just cant seem to get right

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves