Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: The Chase for D'Angelo 2.0 

Post#121 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:27 pm

minimus wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:My thought on the foundation of a trade should be Roco, Dieng and a 2022 pick swap. I would prefer not to do it, I don't want Russell, but that is about as high as I would go.

Make it a 2020 swap and I can live with that. A 2022 pick should be a late pick. 2020 is a high lotto. If they won't accept it, then kick rocks. Who else is looking to trade for DLo? I'll answer that....NOBODY.

ORL tried to trade Gordon for DLo. CHA, DET, would love to get DLo.

I'm sure there are lots of teams that want DLo, but Char and Detroit have very little to offer GS. Again, I think GS is stuck with Russ, and are going to have to eat some contracts to get rid of him, because when Curry comes back, he's a useless player in that system.
Orl trying to dump Gordon, but GS doesn't need him. Or want him. It will be interesting to see what teams will offer GS. Bet if he was better on D he would be gone already.
To be clear, I don't want him, but if Rosas is trying to make Towns happy, then offer the minimum to GS just to say we tried. If we do get the snitch, Wiggins has to go.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,962

Post#122 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Maybe you see more in this FO than we have had in the past, but considering a lot of rubes thinks he screwed up his first draft, I will reserve judgement on his drafting skills.

Which is nuts. Screwed up? Culver has been one of the best rookies in the class. Just as good as White and Garland, if not better.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#123 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:18 pm

Klomp wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Maybe you see more in this FO than we have had in the past, but considering a lot of rubes thinks he screwed up his first draft, I will reserve judgement on his drafting skills.

Which is nuts. Screwed up? Culver has been one of the best rookies in the class. Just as good as White and Garland, if not better.

I didn't say me. But several here thinks he moved up to get Garland and failed so he took Culver. Not sure if Culver is the answer, but it looks good in hindsight. I personally liked the pick, but still have PTSD from past FO regimes. So, we will see if he can actually find a good player where we should be drafting. Still do not want DLo.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,827

Post#124 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I didn't say me. But several here thinks he moved up to get Garland and failed so he took Culver. Not sure if Culver is the answer, but it looks good in hindsight. I personally liked the pick, but still have PTSD from past FO regimes. So, we will see if he can actually find a good player where we should be drafting. Still do not want DLo.

I think he moved up to take the best available player at pick #6. Garland and White have been very up and down. Culver IMO has been steadily improving and IMO he is the better pick of that group. Of players picked later many thought Tyler Herro and NAW were better picks. So far that seems to be wrong. Jaxson Hayes, PJ Washington, and Clarke have been playing very well. Clarke was taken at 21, Washington at 12, and Hayes went at 8 before our original pick. Doumbouya is starting to show something and Thybulle has been good. All in all I think we took the obvious pick at the time and it seems to have worked out pretty well. Culver should be in consideration for first team all rookie. Saric has played very well for Phoenix then kind of dropped out of the rotation then came back.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#125 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:35 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Which is nuts. Screwed up? Culver has been one of the best rookies in the class. Just as good as White and Garland, if not better.

I think he moved up to take the best available player at pick #6. Garland and White have been very up and down. Culver IMO has been steadily improving and IMO he is the better pick of that group. Of players picked later many thought Tyler Herro and NAW were better picks. So far that seems to be wrong. Jaxson Hayes, PJ Washington, and Clarke have been playing very well. Clarke was taken at 21, Washington at 12, and Hayes went at 8 before our original pick. Doumbouya is starting to show something and Thybulle has been good. All in all I think we took the obvious pick at the time and it seems to have worked out pretty well. Culver should be in consideration for first team all rookie. Saric has played very well for Phoenix then kind of dropped out of the rotation then came back.

I like JC personally, and did not under any circumstances want White. I wasn't sure about Garland considering how little he played college ball. I hope we finally got one graft pick right. That's why I do not want to include him in a trade.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#126 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:39 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:

I like JC personally, and did not under any circumstances want White. I wasn't sure about Garland considering how little he played college ball. I hope we finally got one graft pick right. That's why I do not want to include him in a trade.

I don't want to trade him unless the payoff is really good. I found the rookie ladder ranking the top 5 rookies and honorable mentions. You can find it around the top of the Wolves page.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#127 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:06 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I think he moved up to take the best available player at pick #6. Garland and White have been very up and down. Culver IMO has been steadily improving and IMO he is the better pick of that group. Of players picked later many thought Tyler Herro and NAW were better picks. So far that seems to be wrong. Jaxson Hayes, PJ Washington, and Clarke have been playing very well. Clarke was taken at 21, Washington at 12, and Hayes went at 8 before our original pick. Doumbouya is starting to show something and Thybulle has been good. All in all I think we took the obvious pick at the time and it seems to have worked out pretty well. Culver should be in consideration for first team all rookie. Saric has played very well for Phoenix then kind of dropped out of the rotation then came back.

I don't want to trade him unless the payoff is really good. I found the rookie ladder ranking the top 5 rookies and honorable mentions. You can find it around the top of the Wolves page.

Ranking of top five rookies in the NBA.•
1. Ja Morant, Memphis Grizzlies. Ja Morant dropped 25 points on the Wolves in a win Wednesday night. Last week:
•2. Jarrett Culver, Minnesota Timberwolves.
•3. Sekou Doumbouya, Detroit Pistons. Sekou Doumbouya delivered a massive poster jam on Tristan Thompson. Last week: Not ranked. Doumbouya grabbed ...
•4. P.J. Washington, Charlotte Hornets.
•5. Darius Garland, Cleveland Cavaliers.

Grades out at #2 so far. I'd say it better be a really good offer.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#128 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:30 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:I like JC personally, and did not under any circumstances want White. I wasn't sure about Garland considering how little he played college ball. I hope we finally got one graft pick right. That's why I do not want to include him in a trade.

1. Ja Morant, Memphis Grizzlies. Ja Morant dropped 25 points on the Wolves in a win Wednesday night. Last week:
•3. Sekou Doumbouya, Detroit Pistons. Sekou Doumbouya delivered a massive poster jam on Tristan Thompson. Last week: Not ranked. Doumbouya grabbed ...

Where did you get that list from? Mine was the most up to date from NBA.Com. Kendrick Nunn and MPJ not even listed?
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#129 » by TheProdigy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:43 pm

DLo got lit up for 61 points by Lillard last night. Stay away.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,664

Post#130 » by shrink » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:59 pm

DaKidKG wrote:DLo got lit up for 61 points by Lillard last night. Stay away.

Nobody cares about defense! Trade away Covington and Dieng!

You’re right. He’s climbing the defensive ladder of shame. He’s now up to (down to?) #7 in the worst DBPM in the NBA, and closing in on Garland and Sexton to make the All-NBA 1st Team, Worst Defender list.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#131 » by Dewey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 pm

shrink wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:DLo got lit up for 61 points by Lillard last night. Stay away.

Nobody cares about defense! Trade away Covington and Dieng!

You’re right. He’s climbing the defensive ladder of shame. He’s now up to (down to?) #7 in the worst DBPM in the NBA, and closing in on Garland and Sexton to make the All-NBA 1st Team, Worst Defender list.

Maybe he's trying to play himself out of favor GSW ... :dontknow: :D
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#132 » by theGreatRC » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:59 am

i'd rather us draft a PG or only get DLO if it's Wiggs + our 1st rd pick (Unprotected)

I wanted DLO in FA, but this season sucks so i'd rather us try to get a good pick again and stock up on young talent.

KAT/Culver/RoCo/Okogie and our pick are our only positive assets.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,355

Post#133 » by Calinks » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:43 am

D Lo for Wiggins and I do it it in a heartbeat. Don't think GSW want that though.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#134 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:49 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I don't want to trade him unless the payoff is really good. I found the rookie ladder ranking the top 5 rookies and honorable mentions. You can find it around the top of the Wolves page.

Where did you get that list from? Mine was the most up to date from NBA.Com. Kendrick Nunn and MPJ not even listed?

IDK, can't seem to find it now. Weird. Anyway, he's still top 5 on most, so any offer would still have to be good.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 am

Jedzz wrote:
shrink wrote:Your defense of Russell is worse than his defense.

“Pobody’s nerfect?” Can we agree “eighth worst in the NBA at DBPM” is a little far from “perfect?”

We are already far below a “subpar” defense, too, and Russell makes it unplayable.

It's been unplayable for years and yet they still play, and the games still come down to the wire often enough. If only we had someone with enough cajones to regularly hit shots in crunch time.

This is where I tend to lean, and so do the stats. It's very difficult to get the ball in the post in the closing minutes, and we really don't have much else for clutch performers.

Read on Twitter

Meanwhile, D'Angelo is among the most clutch players in the league, shooting 51% on clutch shots last season and 50% on "super-clutch" shots (source). He's been that way his whole career.

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#136 » by minimus » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:49 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
shrink wrote:Your defense of Russell is worse than his defense.

“Pobody’s nerfect?” Can we agree “eighth worst in the NBA at DBPM” is a little far from “perfect?”

We are already far below a “subpar” defense, too, and Russell makes it unplayable.

It's been unplayable for years and yet they still play, and the games still come down to the wire often enough. If only we had someone with enough cajones to regularly hit shots in crunch time.

This is where I tend to lean, and so do the stats. It's very difficult to get the ball in the post in the closing minutes, and we really don't have much else for clutch performers.

Read on Twitter

Meanwhile, D'Angelo is among the most clutch players in the league, shooting 51% on clutch shots last season and 50% on "super-clutch" shots (source). He's been that way his whole career.

IMO it is about having at least two solid ballhandlers/shot creators. Now opponent can attach one player to KAT and double team Wiggins.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#137 » by andyhop » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:01 am

Klomp wrote:

But with 3 minutes or less left in the 4th and the game within 5 points he shot 42% last year and is at 40% this year.

Clutch stats are pretty meaningless to me as they can change completely depending on what conditions you want to apply and the biggest problem is that the sample size is never going to be big enough to have any merit .

Using my conditions Russell has taken 22 shots this year and took 45 last year.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:28 am

andyhop wrote:Clutch stats are pretty meaningless to me as they can change completely depending on what conditions you want to apply and the biggest problem is that the sample size is never going to be big enough to have any merit .

ALL stats can change like that.

MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#139 » by MN7725 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:57 am

Zach Lowe on his most recent podcast (with Dave McMenamin) mocked Wolves a bit about their pursuit of Russell

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=28548026
starts about 25:08 mins mark

quick remark about Wigs trade value too :lol:
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#140 » by andyhop » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:06 am

Klomp wrote:
andyhop wrote:Clutch stats are pretty meaningless to me as they can change completely depending on what conditions you want to apply and the biggest problem is that the sample size is never going to be big enough to have any merit .

ALL stats can change like that.

Most stats have a meaningful basis behind them , clutch stats don't they are just a completely arbitrary set of conditions that someone once decided to use without any real basis.

Why is under 5 minutes clutch time and not under 4 minutes and why is it 5 points or less and not 4 points or less?
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves