ImageImageImage

The Chase for D'Angelo 2.0

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Re: The Chase for D'Angelo 2.0 

Post#81 » by shrink » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:59 am

Calinks wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think GSW would like Roco. He would be great with a healthy roster next year plus Iggy, Plus a top 5 pick. That would pretty much put them head and shoulders above every other team unless someone like the Lakers makes a big acquisition.

I think ROCO does a lot more for them championship wise thant Russell.

Yes, he is exactly what they need. There is no guarantee they get Iguodala, and Durant is gone, so they need more defense, far more than they need a guy that plays the same position as their best player, just worse.

However, WE need RoCo more as well. Our offense is not the problem, nor has it ever been. Adding a horrible defender in Russell makes RoCo even more critical to the Wolves on court needs and finances.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,349

Post#82 » by Calinks » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:25 am

Yea I understand that too. I think it's really jut the fact that ROCO is 30 and we are so far from contending. Rosas will probably move him because we won't be in the title picture for a long time and the ages don't line up. If ROCO gets hurt bad or falls off production wise, his value gets sunk. Right now it's probably at it's highest (between now and a year or so).

I think Rosas is asking a lot for ROCO and I think it's the way to go. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade him but I'd be in no rush and would be holding out for a good deal. I think teams will get desperate at the deadline, think they are a ROCO away from a title this season and up the offers. That also may make GSW up their offer if they think they could miss out on him as other teams are bidding.

If nothing good comes up then it's not the end of the world to keep Covington and see what comes up this summer or try to build the team up so he makes more sense to keep.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,986

Post#83 » by wolves_89 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:43 am

Calinks wrote:Yea I understand that too. I think it's really jut the fact that ROCO is 30 and we are so far from contending. Rosas will probably move him because we won't be in the title picture for a long time and the ages don't line up. If ROCO gets hurt bad or falls off production wise, his value gets sunk. Right now it's probably at it's highest (between now and a year or so).

I think Rosas is asking a lot for ROCO and I think it's the way to go. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade him but I'd be in no rush and would be holding out for a good deal. I think teams will get desperate at the deadline, think they are a ROCO away from a title this season and up the offers. That also may make GSW up their offer if they think they could miss out on him as other teams are bidding.

If nothing good comes up then it's not the end of the world to keep Covington and see what comes up this summer or try to build the team up so he makes more sense to keep.

Covington turned 29 about a month ago and will be 31 (closer to 31 than 32) at the end of his contract in 2021. I just don't see that age is much of factor in trading Roco.
shrink
RealGM

Post#84 » by shrink » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:45 am

Covington just turned 29 last month.

We are using this season to teach our players the new system. Many of the players don’t fit - it’s the reason Teague is gone. Insert too many players that don’t fit, and the system breaks down, and nobody can learn anything, and we have a wasted season that doesn’t help the future.

Maybe some day Thybulle can get as good as Covington, but that’s a high bar (1st team All Defense), and it while he’s promising, the 20th pick in the draft is several years away from reaching that rarefied air, and odds are against it happening. Too many young people, the system breaks down. RoCo is a perfect fit here, and we need that right now.

And if we make the mistake of adding Russell, we DEFINITELY can’t afford to add Russell’s Bottom 10% Defense to our team without Covington here to shoulder even more of that burden.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#85 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:47 am

wolves_89 wrote:Covington turned 29 about a month ago and will be 31 (closer to 31 than 32) at the end of his contract in 2021. I just don't see that age is much of factor in trading Roco.

Age on this contract shouldn't be a factor, but I wouldn't blame the team for trying to stretch out the value by getting something for him. We're probably seeing him near his peak right now. Don't let that fall off and expire in a couple years.

This is still a talent acquisition phase and developing our system. Use the assets we have before they lose their value. Not selling for cheap, but not refusing to jump on a deal.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#86 » by wolves_89 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:14 am

Klomp wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:Covington turned 29 about a month ago and will be 31 (closer to 31 than 32) at the end of his contract in 2021. I just don't see that age is much of factor in trading Roco.

Age on this contract shouldn't be a factor, but I wouldn't blame the team for trying to stretch out the value by getting something for him. We're probably seeing him near his peak right now. Don't let that fall off and expire in a couple years.

This is still a talent acquisition phase and developing our system. Use the assets we have before they lose their value. Not selling for cheap, but not refusing to jump on a deal.

I would have no problem trading Covington if the deal made the Wolves a better team over the next few seasons (when it will matter most in terms of keeping Towns happy). I'm not in favor of trading Covington for mediocre picks or questionable prospects (or for Russell for that matter). In my opinion, Minnesota needs to be making moves that make the team better in the near term, not accumulating assets with the hope that at some future point they might be useful.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#87 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:05 am

wolves_89 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I would have no problem trading Covington if the deal made the Wolves a better team over the next few seasons (when it will matter most in terms of keeping Towns happy). I'm not in favor of trading Covington for mediocre picks or questionable prospects (or for Russell for that matter). In my opinion, Minnesota needs to be making moves that make the team better in the near term, not accumulating assets with the hope that at some future point they might be useful.

We need picks and youth, how much that helps is a risk, but we are looking to build, not make low risk moves that are shortsighted.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#88 » by wolves_89 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:13 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Age on this contract shouldn't be a factor, but I wouldn't blame the team for trying to stretch out the value by getting something for him. We're probably seeing him near his peak right now. Don't let that fall off and expire in a couple years.

We need picks and youth, how much that helps is a risk, but we are looking to build, not make low risk moves that are shortsighted.

The Wolves need to put a winning team on the court in the next year or two, they can't be waiting on picks and youth that likely won't be positive contributors in the time-frame that Towns will be making up his mind about his future with the franchise.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#89 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:38 am

wolves_89 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

The Wolves need to put a winning team on the court in the next year or two, they can't be waiting on picks and youth that likely won't be positive contributors in the time-frame that Towns will be making up his mind about his future with the franchise.

This team is not going to make a major move to be competitive for another year and a half. They have time. And everything they have done reflects this. The team is getting younger not older. You might want something different, but it is not what they are doing. I think they seem to be doing things right by putting right some wrongs as in our desperation moves i.e. trying to rush things.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#90 » by Dewey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:14 am

The Wolves will make a move to get better now if at all possible - It’s not a “let’s be patient and give these guys time” thing ... it’s all about who’s willing and able to deal. The term “we’re being patient” means we are not finding a viable trade partner.

We can’t be naive here ... When you have 2 max players on the roster and you’re struggling, I can guarantee you they are seeking/analyzing ALL options across the globe. The only way reason we sit back and do not make a move until summer (or a year from now) is because we have to - again, it takes two to tango.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:23 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I'm not just talking about selling low to accumulate future assets. The value would have to be right. For months I've been against the Covington for Simons type deal that someone likes to bring up, and that hasn't changed. I would personally be okay with a Russell deal, though it might not be the best possible outcome.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,196

Post#92 » by Neeva » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:26 pm

Definitely need to trade roco, his value is the highest it will ever be rightt now and timberwolves are not a playoff team yet.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#93 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:28 pm

Klomp wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Age on this contract shouldn't be a factor, but I wouldn't blame the team for trying to stretch out the value by getting something for him. We're probably seeing him near his peak right now. Don't let that fall off and expire in a couple years.

I'm not just talking about selling low to accumulate future assets. The value would have to be right. For months I've been against the Covington for Simons type deal that someone likes to bring up, and that hasn't changed. I would personally be okay with a Russell deal, though it might not be the best possible outcome.

I would be OK with RoCo for Russell as long as we are not including any additional assets. Then we would have to move Wiggins.
Wiggins for Russell would be much preferred vs RoCo for Russell.
shrink
RealGM

Post#94 » by shrink » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:33 pm

I am still waiting for any fan of trading for Russell to explain how the defense would work.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#95 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:37 pm

shrink wrote:I am still waiting for any fan of trading for Russell to explain how the defense would work.

When did Russell become an all nba first team bad defender? Wasn't he OK in college?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:39 pm

shrink wrote:I am still waiting for any fan of trading for Russell to explain how the defense would work.

No trade we make will turn us immediately into a title contender with a great offense and a great defense. That doesn't mean you don't pull the trigger. Russell isn't a win now piece where we have to contend in the next year or two. He's still young, which allows for time to keep building the roster.

shrink
RealGM

Post#97 » by shrink » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:54 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

When did Russell become an all nba first team bad defender? Wasn't he OK in college?

He does not have the athleticism to defend against NBA players, so he doesn’t try. This isn’t a flaw he can grow out of, and it’s the same reason he can’t get to the rim or create for himself without a screen.

He is currently in the bottom 10% of defenders, often in the bottom 5%.

Add that to Wiggins and Towns, and subtract Covington, and I don’t know how you guys think a team will be competitive in the next four years.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#98 » by Killboard » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:57 pm

He is not a bad defensive PG. Still, the downgrade from Roco to any other wing defender in the roster is a massive downgrade. I'm not sure Russell is a more impactful player or will be accounting both sides of the court, and you are expending twice as much.

If Roco is going out for Dlo, the wolves must get something else valuable in return at very least.
shrink
RealGM

Post#99 » by shrink » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:04 pm

I glanced at his -1.62 DRPM.

Other high offense, low defense PG’s are Lou Williams -1.62, Kyrie Irving -1.64, Derrick Rose -1.65.

Now, that’s not Trae Young-bad, but that’s his group. He’s a truly bad defender.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#100 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:06 pm

shrink wrote:I glanced at his -1.62 DRPM.

Other high offense, low defense PG’s are Lou Williams -1.62, Kyrie Irving -1.64, Derrick Rose -1.65.

Now, that’s not Trae Young-bad, but that’s his group. He’s a truly bad defender.

So he's merely a bad defender. NOT an all nba first team bad defender. Adding Russell helps our Offense so much IMO and could lead to adding Booker. Three Musketeers.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves