Rosas: Towns is "as untouchable as they come"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,938

Rosas: Towns is "as untouchable as they come" 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:33 am

Despite recent rumors and speculation with the Feb. 6 NBA trade deadline quickly approaching, Rosas insists that Towns, 24, is Minnesota's franchise guy for now and the future.

"Karl-Anthony Towns is as untouchable as they come," Rosas told ESPN. "He's the best player on our team and he's the guy we're building around. Everything we do is to help him become the best player and to help us become the best team we can be. He's a special talent that we're going to do anything possible to help him achieve his highest potential."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28543408/timberwolves-president-basketball-ops-calls-karl-anthony-towns-untouchable
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Re: Rosas: Towns is "as untouchable as they come" 

Post#2 » by vagelis » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:50 am

This means we will try to get his friend Dangelo in other words
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#3 » by shangrila » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:40 am

So, basically, another 3 years of losing due to non-existent defensive effort from our "superstar" before he decides that everyone else is the problem and demands a trade.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#4 » by Dewey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:54 am

better find a big man that can defend and a starting PG soon or this this is gonna sound more stupid by the day
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,628

Post#5 » by shrink » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:43 pm

vagelis wrote:This means we will try to get his friend Dangelo in other words

I do not see this in anything he said.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
vagelis
Starter

Post#6 » by vagelis » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:42 pm

shrink wrote:

"He's the best player on our team and he's the guy we're building around. He's a special talent that we're going to do anything possible to help him achieve his highest potential."

Maybe this means we will do anything to make him happy
shrink
RealGM

Post#7 » by shrink » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:51 pm

vagelis wrote:
shrink wrote:

"He's the best player on our team and he's the guy we're building around. He's a special talent that we're going to do anything possible to help him achieve his highest potential."

“achieving his highest potential” does not equal “do anything to make him happy.”
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#8 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 pm

shrink wrote:
vagelis wrote:
shrink wrote:I do not see this in anything he said.

“achieving his highest potential” does not equal “do anything to make him happy.”

The initial report does include more quotes from Rosas talking about making any moves that will improve the team.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,938

Post#9 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:15 pm

shrink wrote:“achieving his highest potential” does not equal “do anything to make him happy.”

So then why do you keep arguing that Minnesota shouldn't/wouldn't trade Covington since he's close friends with Towns?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM

Post#10 » by shrink » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:“achieving his highest potential” does not equal “do anything to make him happy.”

So then why do you keep arguing that Minnesota shouldn't/wouldn't trade Covington since he's close friends with Towns?

I exclusively mention it because most of these ideas Covington trade ideas are for Russell, and they use that argument (“we need to get Towns buddy ASAP or he will demand a trade!”) as the basis for the trade, not which one fits our system.

If “who is Towns buddy?” Is the basis for a trade, it should be mentioned that Covington is as well.

Moreover, I would hope Glen Taylor learned from Garnett that you don’t make your star happy, and your team successful, by giving contracts to his buddies.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#11 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:28 pm

It's the right move by Rosas. Obviously if some insane deal comes along he can't pass up, then do it but Towns is definitely what this team should be building around, at least until a better option comes along.

Towns gets a lot of flack and some of it is well earned. He's not perfect and still has some areas to grow. Having a good winning team around him will help shore up a lot of his issues and criticism. It's up to Rosas to put that around him.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#12 » by Dewey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:08 pm

I won’t give Rosas credit for anything until he does something, and until he does, I’m gonna assume he’s a mere talker and not a walker. So far he has done zero that has resulted in +wins.

No way in heck am I gonna give him a pass at the deadline - let alone this summer... if we don't make a significant improvement into 2020-2021 season and make the playoffs next year, I’ll consider Rosas and Saunders massive busts.

Lastly ... until towns plays like he’s untouchable ... he’s touchable. These comments tell me Rosas hasn’t got anything else going which is deeply alarming.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,332

Post#13 » by Calinks » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Frankly Dewey that's really unfair. The guys had the job for 8 months, the team was not in a good place financially or roster wise when he took over. He already took two huge shots to bring in top talent. The failed Russell signing and the trade up to get Garland. Neither worked out.

It's pretty unrealistic to expect a GM to come in and transform a team in under a year and half a season. It's your prerogative but I think it would be fairer to knock him after at least a couple of seasons under his belt.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
vagelis
Starter

Post#14 » by vagelis » Wed Feb 5, 2020 12:02 am

So, I think I understood well what Rosas tried to say in this interview

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves