ImageImageImage

Game 46: Minnesota Timberwolves (15-30) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (27-19) - 8:00 PM ET

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Game 46: Minnesota Timberwolves (15-30) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (27-19) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#61 » by minimus » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:35 am

Jedzz wrote:
Wolves21 wrote:This season has been terrible and another wasted year.With that said I think we've found the bulk of our bench going forward.Napier,Layman,Reid & KBD make for a pretty solid bench.If we can add a SG with some scoring punch off the becnh I think that part of the roster could be set for the next few years(bty could have been set if they would have just kept D-Rose)

I don't know how Layman gets so much free lov from people. I was excited for his skillset before the season, but once the season started he really only amounted to two or three good playing games. His shooting, even his layups, were spotty at best. Granted the team needed more players with his types of skills. But can you really count on a player that will miss almost an entire season for one single toe issue? I'm almost on the side that writes him off completely at this stage. At least not putting any expectation into relying on him next season.

You mentioned Shooting Guard need yet. With all the steady losses, I'm still amazed that Nowell hasn't gotten more extended chances on the main team yet. Everyone else brought up has had countless bad outings and good outings as the amount of games stack up for them. Yet Nowell is the one being left out of this season. I don't think a Gleague season is bad for him, but with a need to find shooters seemingly the biggest thing holding the team back, I think he should have been pulled up for a longer stretch of games by now to see if he could catch up to the speed over time. Like Culver was able to. Like Martin was given the chance to. Even Reid, who had to wait until December.

Nowell's most recent Gleague game outing January 23rd:
32 pts, 14-20 F, 4-5 3FG, 0-1 FT, 7 boards, 4 assists, 2 blocks

The interesting stat is the 0-1 FT. In a 40 minute game that's low. Maybe could be argued a problem. However it also could point to something interesting. That he's maybe able to produce largely by being a good shooter and game IQ finisher without being on ball driving all game. Getting himself into spots as outlets for primary ball carriers. In other words, maybe a perfect SG for the main team.

We can't see more games for guys like Nowell and Martin because of players like Okogie and Culver I guess. But these players rarely bring respectable shooting.

Together, JO and Culver amounted to 46 minutes on the court in various roles against OKC. They totaled 10 pts together, 7 boards, 4 assists, 1 block. In total, 4-16 FG, 1-7 3FG, 1-4 FT. That's just Unplayable shooting guard production yet neither of these two are allowed to go to Iowa to refresh their skills.

Napier was a beast during his 32 minutes but the poor 3pt shooting from others and extra chances he's earning for this offense are just wasted. 67% shooting, 10 boards, 13 assists, 2 steals. Can't beleive the junk around him at times.

Layman is an not an ideal player on ideal contract. He won't solve our problems because he is does not create much offense or defense, but he is versatile enough to use opportunities created by system. That's is why his presence will stabilize bench unit.

As for Nowell, the reason why he is getting these numbers in gleague is because he is getting steady minutes at SG, this won't be possible in Wolves because we have a lot of wings who are much better at playing defense than Jaylen. JO, JC and now Crabbe. They all are bigger than Jaylen. They are all more SG than SF. And Jaylen sizewise is more PG than SG.

For instance, look last game against Harden and Westbrook. They would kill Jaylen in ISO.

Even if Jaylen gets those 10-15 minutes it won't help him as much as 30-35 minutes in Iowa. He needs to get in rhythm to be effective.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Game 46: Minnesota Timberwolves (15-30) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (27-19) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#62 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:35 pm

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Wolves21 wrote:This season has been terrible and another wasted year.With that said I think we've found the bulk of our bench going forward.Napier,Layman,Reid & KBD make for a pretty solid bench.If we can add a SG with some scoring punch off the becnh I think that part of the roster could be set for the next few years(bty could have been set if they would have just kept D-Rose)

I don't know how Layman gets so much free lov from people. I was excited for his skillset before the season, but once the season started he really only amounted to two or three good playing games. His shooting, even his layups, were spotty at best. Granted the team needed more players with his types of skills. But can you really count on a player that will miss almost an entire season for one single toe issue? I'm almost on the side that writes him off completely at this stage. At least not putting any expectation into relying on him next season.

You mentioned Shooting Guard need yet. With all the steady losses, I'm still amazed that Nowell hasn't gotten more extended chances on the main team yet. Everyone else brought up has had countless bad outings and good outings as the amount of games stack up for them. Yet Nowell is the one being left out of this season. I don't think a Gleague season is bad for him, but with a need to find shooters seemingly the biggest thing holding the team back, I think he should have been pulled up for a longer stretch of games by now to see if he could catch up to the speed over time. Like Culver was able to. Like Martin was given the chance to. Even Reid, who had to wait until December.

Nowell's most recent Gleague game outing January 23rd:
32 pts, 14-20 F, 4-5 3FG, 0-1 FT, 7 boards, 4 assists, 2 blocks

The interesting stat is the 0-1 FT. In a 40 minute game that's low. Maybe could be argued a problem. However it also could point to something interesting. That he's maybe able to produce largely by being a good shooter and game IQ finisher without being on ball driving all game. Getting himself into spots as outlets for primary ball carriers. In other words, maybe a perfect SG for the main team.

We can't see more games for guys like Nowell and Martin because of players like Okogie and Culver I guess. But these players rarely bring respectable shooting.

Together, JO and Culver amounted to 46 minutes on the court in various roles against OKC. They totaled 10 pts together, 7 boards, 4 assists, 1 block. In total, 4-16 FG, 1-7 3FG, 1-4 FT. That's just Unplayable shooting guard production yet neither of these two are allowed to go to Iowa to refresh their skills.

Napier was a beast during his 32 minutes but the poor 3pt shooting from others and extra chances he's earning for this offense are just wasted. 67% shooting, 10 boards, 13 assists, 2 steals. Can't beleive the junk around him at times.

Layman is an not an ideal player on ideal contract. He won't solve our problems because he is does not create much offense or defense, but he is versatile enough to use opportunities created by system. That's is why his presence will stabilize bench unit.

As for Nowell, the reason why he is getting these numbers in gleague is because he is getting steady minutes at SG, this won't be possible in Wolves because we have a lot of wings who are much better at playing defense than Jaylen. JO, JC and now Crabbe. They all are bigger than Jaylen. They are all more SG than SF. And Jaylen sizewise is more PG than SG.

For instance, look last game against Harden and Westbrook. They would kill Jaylen in ISO.

Even if Jaylen gets those 10-15 minutes it won't help him as much as 30-35 minutes in Iowa. He needs to get in rhythm to be effective.

I'm looking for more than 10-15 for Jaylen at this point. The team deserves a better shooter. Harden in the last game was not the normal Harden, he's been on a short bad streak, it wasn't our Okogie wan as much as we want to believe so. He regularly puts up 30-40 on JO even if there are a couple great stops. And Westbrook got every single thing he wanted to against Wolves, it's why the Wolves lost. So like I was saying all summer, and during the start of the season with all the Graham minutes...if the defensive studs can't actually stop these guys enough anyway, then replace them with a shooter already. Besides, Jaylen may be smaller but his game IQ is much higher. I have no doubt he can be useful on defense. He's not tiny. He came in at 6-4 201. I don't want him filling in defending 6-9 players obviously, but sticking 6-4 213 (JO), or 6-5 or 6-7 197 players (Wiggins) out there and saying they are fine doesn't really compute if you are saying Jaylen is too small.
minimus
RealGM

Re: Game 46: Minnesota Timberwolves (15-30) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (27-19) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#63 » by minimus » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Jedzz wrote:I'm looking for more than 10-15 for Jaylen at this point. The team deserves a better shooter. Harden in the last game was not the normal Harden, he's been on a short bad streak, it wasn't our Okogie wan as much as we want to believe so. He regularly puts up 30-40 on JO even if there are a couple great stops. And Westbrook got every single thing he wanted to against Wolves, it's why the Wolves lost. So like I was saying all summer, and during the start of the season with all the Graham minutes...if the defensive studs can't actually stop these guys enough anyway, then replace them with a shooter already. Besides, Jaylen may be smaller but his game IQ is much higher. I have no doubt he can be useful on defense. He's not tiny. He came in at 6-4 201. I don't want him filling in defending 6-9 players obviously, but sticking 6-4 213 (JO), or 6-5 or 6-7 197 players (Wiggins) out there and saying they are fine doesn't really compute if you are saying Jaylen is too small.

I like Jaylen's game a lot. But there is a reason why Jaylen does not get minutes. First, at this point we prioritize perimeter defense over offense. Second, consistent minutes is foundation for development of young player. At this point is better to give solid 30 minutes within Iowa system than 5 minutes in Wolves uniform (plus time that he will lose in Iowa - Minnesota flights, time that he can use for rest and development).
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#64 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:26 pm

minimus wrote:I like Jaylen's game a lot. But there is a reason why Jaylen does not get minutes. First, at this point we prioritize perimeter defense over offense. Second, consistent minutes is foundation for development of young player. At this point is better to give solid 30 minutes within Iowa system than 5 minutes in Wolves uniform (plus time that he will lose in Iowa - Minnesota flights, time that he can use for rest and development).

Sorry. I call BS on that.

At this point the only priority appears to be continuing to lose. Perimeter defense is really nonexistant no matter who has been playing.

Consistent minutes is...consistent minutes is...go ahead and keep saying it, it's meaningless to read it when you say it applies to him and yet not all the others playing all season.

At this point specifically, it's better that he now attempts to make the leap and the team gives him consistent minutes at the main to develop and test him. This will be the only way to know whether they have at least one more shooting capable person going into the offseason. Get some value out of this wasted season and find out if you can roll into the future with both Culver and Nowell or not.
minimus
RealGM

Post#65 » by minimus » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:13 am

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:I like Jaylen's game a lot. But there is a reason why Jaylen does not get minutes. First, at this point we prioritize perimeter defense over offense. Second, consistent minutes is foundation for development of young player. At this point is better to give solid 30 minutes within Iowa system than 5 minutes in Wolves uniform (plus time that he will lose in Iowa - Minnesota flights, time that he can use for rest and development).

Sorry. I call BS on that.

At this point the only priority appears to be continuing to lose. Perimeter defense is really nonexistant no matter who has been playing.

Consistent minutes is...consistent minutes is...go ahead and keep saying it, it's meaningless to read it when you say it applies to him and yet not all the others playing all season.

At this point specifically, it's better that he now attempts to make the leap and the team gives him consistent minutes at the main to develop and test him. This will be the only way to know whether they have at least one more shooting capable person going into the offseason. Get some value out of this wasted season and find out if you can roll into the future with both Culver and Nowell or not.

Your frustrations and emotions run high. The future of this team is not clear for you. I understand it. Long ago I decided to follow another path and try to find positivity instead of blaming, hating, doubting etc. It doesn't happen automatically, but I am at least trying.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves