2020 trade deadline predictions

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Re: 2020 trade deadline predictions 

Post#41 » by Dewey » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:13 am

Neeva wrote:Warriors still think dlo is an all star lol
Hope teams aren’t dumb and bite let them get desperate and have to give away assets to get rid of dlo in a year and a half lol

Ya ... jokes on the Wolves ... he may be more of an all-star caliber player than anything MN has to offer moving forward.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,320

Post#42 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:29 am

KAT>>Russell>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wiggins
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#43 » by _AIJ_ » Tue Feb 4, 2020 10:41 am

shangrila wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:
Calinks wrote:Wiggins, DLO, and KAT maxing this team out and missing the playoffs every season.

We dont know that yet. But it will be more exciting to watch Dlo and KAT. That will help people show up for games at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would bet my left nut that that team would never make the playoffs.

Deal.

LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by Dewey » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:58 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:
shangrila wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:more exciting to watch Dlo and KAT.

Deal.

Ya atleast DLo dont disappear offensively ... he's always looking to find ways to get points and that favors Okogie and Culver. With Wiggins, we never know if or when he will be engaged game by game. If I'm a betting man, Wiggins could roll nicely in GSW off the bench behind Curry/Thompson... he'll be like Durant-Light 2.0 ... along with 2 extra picks.

Sooooo ... in this scenario, are we to assume that the Wolves would send Wiggins + 2 FRP's (form RoCo deal) to GSW for DLo ? They are really leveraging us, but at the same time, something has to give. If we move ahead as is, we are banking solely on the draft. Pick your poison.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#45 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:43 pm

MN7725 wrote:
Calinks wrote:I don't think Russell gets moved.

I don't think ROCO gets moved unless it's a good haul.

Predicting is that the wolves aren't able to make any moves, maybe a small one. Bigger moves will be made in the summer.

Love aint getting traded.

Capela is gone from Houston.

1 or 2 contending teams will make a decent sized move because they all know this is the year to win it all. Next year GSW could be back and as strong as ever. Next year Brooklyn will have Durant. The time is now for a fringe team to go all in a get a ring. So there will be some kind of big move from the Lakers, Clippers, 76ers, Raptors, Nuggets, etc.

Read on Twitter

Cov for Brooklyn pick, not really a haul

Recently, a three-way deal was discussed that would have sent Robert Covington to Houston, Clint Capela to Atlanta, and Brooklyn’s 2020 first-round pick from Atlanta to Minnesota, according to multiple league sources. But Golden State declined Minnesota’s offer—which included the Brooklyn first and its own first-round pick in 2020—and the three-way talks were put on pause.

Golden State’s high demands for Russell are the reason Minnesota is asking so much for Covington. It’s been widely reported that the Timberwolves want two first-round picks for Covington, though league sources say they’ve also looked for packages including one first and a young player—they asked for Matisse Thybulle and a first from the Sixers, according to The Athletic’s Anthony Slater. They won’t get that much, but league sources still expect the Timberwolves to get something for Covington. Whether they keep that asset or flip it for Russell remains to be seen. But there’s a deal to be made for Russell if the Wolves can come up with enough assets and don’t protect their own first-round pick.

First of all the Wolves Trading RoCo for the Brooklyn pick would be a MISTAKE and then Trading the Brooklyn pick and our own for the privilege of paying Russell the max would be an even bigger mistake.
If the Warriors turned that down they have suddenly become idiots.
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by Dewey » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:58 pm

Point-Wiggins with Curry/Thompson on the wings? who needs pcks! :P

Maybe we just bail on the DLo thing, keep the pick(s), run wildcat (WildWolf) with Wiggins at PG, and simply pursue a couple elite shooters and move on.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#47 » by shangrila » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:13 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:
shangrila wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:We dont know that yet. But it will be more exciting to watch Dlo and KAT. That will help people show up for games at least.

Deal.

Not sure why you're interested in my left nut but cool.

What do I get if I win?
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#48 » by shangrila » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:24 pm

Dewey wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:
shangrila wrote:I would bet my left nut that that team would never make the playoffs.

Deal.

Ya atleast DLo dont disappear offensively ... he's always looking to find ways to get points and that favors Okogie and Culver. With Wiggins, we never know if or when he will be engaged game by game. If I'm a betting man, Wiggins could roll nicely in GSW off the bench behind Curry/Thompson... he'll be like Durant-Light 2.0 ... along with 2 extra picks.

Sooooo ... in this scenario, are we to assume that the Wolves would send Wiggins + 2 FRP's (form RoCo deal) to GSW for DLo ? They are really leveraging us, but at the same time, something has to give. If we move ahead as is, we are banking solely on the draft. Pick your poison.

Well, now we're moving the goalposts. The OP said that a DLo, KAT and Wiggins team wouldn't make the playoffs, which AIJ disagreed with. If Wiggins is shipped out and that team makes the playoffs my nut is safe.

As for whether DLo is better than Wiggins...yeah, obviously. Even if you argue he can't hit the same heights of offence and defence combined that Wiggins can (which is fair) the fact that Wiggins is so inconsistent makes that argument moot. He'll still suck coming off GS's bench though, that I'd disagree with.

And I'm fine building through the draft. At this point we should just build a team. If KAT is a part of that, great. If not then also fine, because we won't be left hanging if/when he leaves. So yeah, we need to keep building through the draft, keep signing smart FAs (Layman) and finding diamonds in the rough (Reid, Martin).
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#49 » by MN7725 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:33 pm

[tweet
Read on Twitter
][/tweet]

I was expecting just a minor DSJ type move, but Wolves seem to be trying for something pretty dramatic
But hard to know how close any of this is
Every team is talking to every other team about every player and only some of it gets leaked
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,909

Post#50 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:43 pm

Those are the types of moves where Sachin Gupta works his magic!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Dewey » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:44 pm

Regardless whether we like the idea or not, ya gotta tip the hat to Rosas for the efforts. It does seem as if tho he has been scouring the league for opportunities ... if it happened we’d need a wing unless Layman magically returned.

I would say 50/50 on this DLo thing, but right now I would be happy with picking up 1-2 frp’s for RoCo.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#52 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:48 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:
shangrila wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:We dont know that yet. But it will be more exciting to watch Dlo and KAT. That will help people show up for games at least.

Deal.

So......Who loses in a bet like that? Even if you win the bet, your stuck with 2 left nuts.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,600

Post#53 » by shrink » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:51 pm

Calinks wrote:KAT>>Russell>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wiggins

I think Russell is far closer to Wiggins value than KAT’s.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#54 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:53 pm

I was never worried about Rosas willingness to make moves. As soon as the guy got the job he tried to make things happen. I think Russell is a good player and he would help but I don't think he elevates this team. He's another number 2 guy IMO alongside Towns. That said, the front office obviously has a huge belief in him and they know what they want to do more than I do. Maybe they believe he can be a number 1, or at least good enough. We certainly need offensive impact from the 1-3 spots.

I feel a lot better about it if Wiggins is gone. In the short term that probably hurts us but in the long term being rid of Wiggins and his deal/minutes is a big plus. Some nights Wiggins plays like a star and then on even more nights he plays like a bench role player. We get some A level play and a lot of C- and D level play. I'd much rather have a consistent B level player there on a much cheaper deal.

The end goal is to get a go to guy at the 2-3 spot if we indeed do bring in Russell so Wiggins being gone would be a big step in us being able to pursue that over the next couple of years.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,600

Post#55 » by shrink » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:56 pm

Noah Vonleh to POR for Mario Hezononja and a 2nd
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#56 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:56 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
First of all the Wolves Trading RoCo for the Brooklyn pick would be a MISTAKE and then Trading the Brooklyn pick and our own for the privilege of paying Russell the max would be an even bigger mistake.

I hear you. But if they Wolves FO does that deal then they are idiots as well. I am having little faith in the FO "IF" they did indeed offer that. And selling ROCO for a FRP seems like they could have gotten something more useful.
Minnesota would become a bigger laughing stock than they are now. And I feel like the rest of the NBA would hate us for giving GS essentially 3 players for a player they didn't really want, or need. I am thinking Hershel walker Trade here.
Dewey
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by Dewey » Tue Feb 4, 2020 7:08 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I hear you. But if they Wolves FO does that deal then they are idiots as well. I am having little faith in the FO "IF" they did indeed offer that. And selling ROCO for a FRP seems like they could have gotten something more useful.
Minnesota would become a bigger laughing stock than they are now. And I feel like the rest of the NBA would hate us for giving GS essentially 3 players for a player they didn't really want, or need. I am thinking Hershel walker Trade here.

I can’t argue ... but ... we need PG so desperately to run this team and albeit one that can shoot and handle the ball. If they get two picks for RoCo then we still keep ours. I do see both sides and admittedly flip-flop because of fear defensively.

DLo/Culver/Layman/KBD/KAT ... ?? Losing RoCo would hurt the unit no doubt
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#58 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 4, 2020 7:24 pm

I don't care what anybody says about a "weak draft" picks are super valuable. We are likely going to have a top 10 pick, we may even get a top 5 or top 3 pick. I wouldn't package Roco and our picks for Russell. Roco is a valuable player in himself then we are giving away high value assets.

Every draft has some stars. 2011 draft was said to be weak. We still got Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, Kawhi, Klay out of that draft. 2013 was one of the weakest in that decade but we still got Porter Jr, Oladipo, McCullum, Greek Freak, Schroder.

Every draft has good players. Handing Golden State two great picks and Covington is over kill IMO. Only way I do it is if I KNOW Russell is exactly what I need to turn the franchise around. I don't think he is but maybe Rosas feels differently. I will give Russell this, he's still young enough to take his game up another level or two.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#59 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 4, 2020 7:48 pm

shrink wrote:

May be fair. I rank Wiggins quite low because he is far too often a non factor. I think his highs can be as higher or higher than Russell but his lows are terrible.

KAT to me is on the verge of super stardom. He has another level to get to, his defense has to be better and his maturity needs a lot of work. His offensive potential is nearly limitless though and he is consistent as heck, this season he has been maybe the least consistent since his rookie season.

In general you know KAT will bring 25 points and 12 boards every night. I can see why you wouldn't think Russell us close to that level of production.
DaKid
Senior
And1: 186

Post#60 » by DaKid » Tue Feb 4, 2020 10:30 pm

Calinks wrote:
shrink wrote:

May be fair. I rank Wiggins quite low because he is far too often a non factor. I think his highs can be as higher or higher than Russell but his lows are terrible.

KAT to me is on the verge of super stardom. He has another level to get to, his defense has to be better and his maturity needs a lot of work. His offensive potential is nearly limitless though and he is consistent as heck, this season he has been maybe the least consistent since his rookie season.

In general you know KAT will bring 25 points and 12 boards every night. I can see why you wouldn't think Russell us close to that level of production.

If they allow Wiggins to be a factor like they did early in the season, he would be. If you can't see that they literally took the ball out of his hands for the majority of the games then you must not be watching the same games as me. As soon as towns came back, the ball was out of Wiggins hands again. Russell always has the ball in his hands and towns is literally being force fed the ball all the time

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves