ImageImageImage

WOJ: Robert Covington traded for Evan Turner, Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangómez, and Brooklyn’s First Round Draft Pick

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Loyal[]Wolf
Bench Warmer
And1: 455

Re: WOJ: Robert Covington traded for Evan Turner, Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangómez, and Brooklyn’s First Round Draft P 

Post#201 » by Loyal[]Wolf » Wed Feb 5, 2020 6:48 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Loyal[]Wolf wrote:So whatever happened to Towns saying that everyone shouldn't be sleeping on the Wolves this season? :lol: Thought that Bahamas trip was supposed to help.

See....Now why You gotta bring that up? :lol:

Next trip should be to the gym. Try bonding there. :o

:lol: curious why we traded Covington on a good contract. It's not like we had to.It only makes sense if it was for a trade before deadline for DLO or another significant player; was it that good of a trade to do so?
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Re: WOJ: Robert Covington traded for Evan Turner, Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangómez, and Brooklyn’s First Round Draft P 

Post#202 » by karch34 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 6:49 pm

Beasley's bird rights are worth a 2nd. You get a look at what he can do in a prominent role and he's restricted, doubt anyone is offering a lot to FA this offseason.

Still I would feel better value wise if the HOU 1st came here and we gave our 2nd to Denver instead. I wonder if Rosas didn't do that because he was thinking with no further trades we'd have our 1st and NJ 1st,he financial flexibility of a Round 2 top 5 pick is better than the guaranteed salary of a pick a 1st in the late 20s.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#203 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 6:51 pm

SCTwins wrote:I don't HATE this trade, though I also feel RoCo is slightly overrated on here so maybe that influences my feeling.

The way I look at it, the Wolves finally got their shooter to pair up with KAT and Wiggs, or at least one to get a good look at, and we got a decent draft pick out of it which could gives us a better chance of hitting on one.

Also we have more flexibility to make another move. Pair Beasley/Turner with picks for DLo?

Would rather keep Beasley for now. Lets kick the tires on him and see if we actually have a shooter we could use. Doesn't appear he would be too expensive to keep. Plus, if you still have a #8 jersey, you can wear it again. :lol:
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#204 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 6:54 pm

Loyal[]Wolf wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Loyal[]Wolf wrote:So whatever happened to Towns saying that everyone shouldn't be sleeping on the Wolves this season? :lol: Thought that Bahamas trip was supposed to help.

See....Now why You gotta bring that up? :lol:

Next trip should be to the gym. Try bonding there. :o

:lol: curious why we traded Covington on a good contract. It's not like we had to.It only makes sense if it was for a trade before deadline for DLO or another significant player; was it that good of a trade to do so?

I think it was best to sell him now as we always seem to hold on too long to players. Also don't think the FO is done quite yet. If they can, pretty sure they are swinging for the Russ.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#205 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:16 pm

John Hollinger:

Houston’s part of this deal is the most revolutionary, but asset-wise the Timberwolves made out the best. This is the best move this franchise has made in a long time, and it was done with Minnesota at the epicenter of one of the most complicated trades in league history — representing an almost unimaginable shift from previous eras in Minnesota.

https://theathletic.com/1585932/2020/02/05/the-revolution-is-here-on-houstons-move-to-go-centerless-praise-for-the-wolves-and-hawks-nuggets-takeaways/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,650

Post#206 » by shrink » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:17 pm

PharmD wrote:
shrink wrote:Value Thoughts:

For overall value, this is more than some people thought Covington would bring, less than others. The Nets 1st is likely to convey this year, and is better than the HOU 2020. Malik Beasley is probably worth a high 2nd (you still need to match a big offer this summer to keep him), and Juancho might be worth a late 2nd.

However, MIN gave up more than the 2.5 years of Covington’s cheap deal. They also gave up Napier, who is playing really well (though there is not much of a market for PG’s), and they gave up Vonleh, KDB, and Bell, where someone is probably worth a 2nd. They also gave up $8 mil in salary this year (thanks Glen), but it doesn’t look like we’re compensated for that either.

For value, this is a make-good return. RoCo was a valuable piece - the main part of the Butler trade, and intrinsic to our system. To me, this is Rosas betting he Is good enough at evaluating talent that he can find a legit starter with the BRK pick, and that he can sign Beasley to a reasonable contract. With Vanderbilt and the expiring Hermangomez, was he able to identify players that he can develop. Note that he traded away most of the other players he had hoped would thrive.

I, um, disagree. Who thought Covington would bring LESS than this?

Why would anyone pay a high 2nd for Beasely's Bird Rights? And a 2nd for Juancho's Bird Rights? The guy is a lampost on D and shoots 34/25 from the field. He'll be out of the league next year.

Many posters on the trade board thought that Covington was not worth more than Capela, let alone giving up the 2020 1st and maybe the 2022, since he was “just a role player.”

As for Beasley, you are welcome to your opinion, but DEN offered him 3 years, $30 mil, and he turned it down, expecting to get a better offer. He’s not having a great year, but clearly some people value him.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,650

Post#207 » by shrink » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:27 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Does anyone think we dodged a bullet? Roco seems like he was set to decline soon, and we ALWAYS seem to...
1.) Over value our players actual worth.
And
2.) Hang onto players past the expiration date.

My favorite GM of all time, Branch Rickey (yeah, the guy that signed Jackie Robinson), had a quote I loved,

Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late.”

Now personally, I think that Covington’s terrific defensive play last month demonstrated his knee was 100%. However, there is always the chance that something came back. Trading him now, when he is healthy, reduces that worry and elevates his trade value.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#208 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:31 pm

At the end of the day, this season has been about evaluation. We're halfway through the season, and clearly the team has determined that the guys we dealt weren't going to be a part of the franchise longterm. You may think KBD and Bell were future stars, but the front office didn't view them the same way and didn't see a future for them here. So we flipped them to bring in more guys to evaluate. It wouldn't take much to turn this from an okay trade to a solid trade, if one or two guys stick and become key pieces.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#209 » by PharmD » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:36 pm

shrink wrote:
PharmD wrote:
shrink wrote:Value Thoughts:

For overall value, this is more than some people thought Covington would bring, less than others. The Nets 1st is likely to convey this year, and is better than the HOU 2020. Malik Beasley is probably worth a high 2nd (you still need to match a big offer this summer to keep him), and Juancho might be worth a late 2nd.

However, MIN gave up more than the 2.5 years of Covington’s cheap deal. They also gave up Napier, who is playing really well (though there is not much of a market for PG’s), and they gave up Vonleh, KDB, and Bell, where someone is probably worth a 2nd. They also gave up $8 mil in salary this year (thanks Glen), but it doesn’t look like we’re compensated for that either.

For value, this is a make-good return. RoCo was a valuable piece - the main part of the Butler trade, and intrinsic to our system. To me, this is Rosas betting he Is good enough at evaluating talent that he can find a legit starter with the BRK pick, and that he can sign Beasley to a reasonable contract. With Vanderbilt and the expiring Hermangomez, was he able to identify players that he can develop. Note that he traded away most of the other players he had hoped would thrive.

I, um, disagree. Who thought Covington would bring LESS than this?

Why would anyone pay a high 2nd for Beasely's Bird Rights? And a 2nd for Juancho's Bird Rights? The guy is a lampost on D and shoots 34/25 from the field. He'll be out of the league next year.

Many posters on the trade board thought that Covington was not worth more than Capela, let alone giving up the 2020 1st and maybe the 2022, since he was “just a role player.”

As for Beasley, you are welcome to your opinion, but DEN offered him 3 years, $30 mil, and he turned it down, expecting to get a better offer. He’s not having a great year, but clearly some people value him.

Beasely is an NBA level player. Doesn't make his Bird Rights worth a high second. We get to match his largest offer.

Fun fact: Juancho has the 8th worst PIPM in the NBA. The 7 guys worse than him include Crabbe, who Rosas traded for, and Dennis Smith and Darius Garland, who Rosas reportedly has great interest in.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach

Post#211 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:46 pm

Went to the Houston board to see what they thought and didn't find a thread.
Strange.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#212 » by Killboard » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:55 pm

SCTwins wrote:I don't HATE this trade, though I also feel RoCo is slightly overrated on here so maybe that influences my feeling.

The way I look at it, the Wolves finally got their shooter to pair up with KAT and Wiggs, or at least one to get a good look at, and we got a decent draft pick out of it which could gives us a better chance of hitting on one.

Also we have more flexibility to make another move. Pair Beasley/Turner with picks for DLo?

Player A:
.382 on 676 3's.
.455 from the corners (.234 of his total attemps)
194/526 from above the break (.368)

Player B:
.358% on 2438 3's
.377 from the corners (.125 of his total attemps)
760/2134 from above the break (.356)

Player B was among the top defensive players in the league and locked for the next 3 seasons. Player A is not an average defender and will test FA.

I actually think Beasley is a good player but he is not near Roco level impact wise and is likely to be expensive. I don't undestand the hurry in make us worse by trading Covington away. We at very least should get another valuable veteran with the middle pick, like Atlanta did to get Capela.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#213 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:13 pm

In four seasons in Denver, the number of 3s made by Beasley would rank him 10th in Timberwolves franchise history, between Rashad McCants and Randy Foye. Beasley's done that in 1,200 fewer minutes than McCants and 2,250 fewer minutes than Foye. Finishing out the year at his current pace would put him 6th, between Szczerbiak and LaVine.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#214 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:29 pm

From the preseason:
But listen to Malone talk about the way Vanderbilt is rebounding now, fully healthy for the first time in two years, and you’d think the Nuggets had discovered a new way to split the atom.

“I wish you guys could see him in the gym every day,” Malone said. “His second and third jump is just so quick. He’s just relentless and so active. One thing I think everybody needs to know is that Jarred Vanderbilt comes back to the gym every night. We don’t tell him. We’re not pulling him in the gym. He’s a highly, highly self-motivated player who has gotten much better from the time we drafted him to now.”

https://theathletic.com/1291136/2019/10/14/you-can-be-the-best-rebounder-in-the-world-nuggets-jarred-vanderbilt-building-off-elite-skill/

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#215 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:34 pm

Now I want to trade for Willy too....

SCTwins
Rookie
And1: 884

Post#216 » by SCTwins » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:38 pm

Killboard wrote:

Player A:
.382 on 676 3's.
.455 from the corners (.234 of his total attemps)
194/526 from above the break (.368)

Player B:
.358% on 2438 3's
.377 from the corners (.125 of his total attemps)
760/2134 from above the break (.356)

Player B was among the top defensive players in the league and locked for the next 3 seasons. Player A is not an average defender and will test FA.

I actually think Beasley is a good player but he is not near Roco level impact wise and is likely to be expensive. I don't undestand the hurry in make us worse by trading Covington away. We at very least should get another valuable veteran with the middle pick, like Atlanta did to get Capela.

I also would have preferred to keep RoCo, but it seemed like the writing was on the wall for whatever reason. He was getting moved one way or another apparently.

I don't like giving up a cheap 3 and D guy, but I think people were expecting too big of a haul. This seems like fair value, 3 young potential players and a mid 1st.
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#217 » by Macwolf527 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:46 pm

For those who thought we moved too fast on trading Covington, keep in mind he’s 29 years old and just returned from knee surgery. I can’t emphasize enough that if we were close to winning, I absolutely would be in favor of holding on to him too. But based on the current record and age of our star player, why wait on Cov and take that unnecessary risk. Covington’s value was high right now. Think of how many rumors he’s be in lately with other team’s wanting his services. I believe this was the absolute best time to move him and getting two 1st round picks proves that.

Now as far as moving Houston’s pick for the Denver players? Let’s be honest with ourselves, Minnesota is not high on the list of free agents so when you have a chance to acquire players with the ability to retain them via RFA, you have to jump on it. The worst possible scenario is they sign the one year RFA offer sheet, and you trade them next season. Best case, you match an offer they get from another team. The 2020 free agency favors the team holding RFA rights because there’s not a lot of capspace out there. Even less, with them lowering the cap just last week. These are the type of moves that leave you with cap flexibility for the future. As Wolves fans, we’ve lived through enough of overpaying free agents. This is the formula, develop young players with upside that fit your system and have reasonable contracts, then you maintain flexibility to build your team and culture.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#218 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:47 pm

Macwolf527 wrote:
Now as far as moving Houston’s pick for the Denver players? Let’s be honest with ourselves, Minnesota is not high on the list of free agents so when you have a chance to acquire players with the ability to retain them via RFA, you have to jump on it. The worst possible scenario is they sign the one year RFA offer sheet, and you trade them next season. Best case, you match an offer they get from another team, and 2020 free agency favors the team holding RFA rights because there’s not a lot of capspace out there. Even less, with them lowering the cap just last week. These are the type of moves that leave you with cap flexibility for the future. As Wolves fans, we’ve lived through enough of overpaying free agents. This is the formula, develop young players with upside that fit your system and have reasonable contracts, then you maintain flexibility to build your team and culture.

That seems like an argument that could be used for keeping Houston's pick.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#219 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:49 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Macwolf527 wrote:
Now as far as moving Houston’s pick for the Denver players? Let’s be honest with ourselves, Minnesota is not high on the list of free agents so when you have a chance to acquire players with the ability to retain them via RFA, you have to jump on it. The worst possible scenario is they sign the one year RFA offer sheet, and you trade them next season. Best case, you match an offer they get from another team, and 2020 free agency favors the team holding RFA rights because there’s not a lot of capspace out there. Even less, with them lowering the cap just last week. These are the type of moves that leave you with cap flexibility for the future. As Wolves fans, we’ve lived through enough of overpaying free agents. This is the formula, develop young players with upside that fit your system and have reasonable contracts, then you maintain flexibility to build your team and culture.

Have the ability to retain 3 players > Have the ability to retain 1 player

Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#220 » by Macwolf527 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:50 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Macwolf527 wrote:

Maybe, but we can’t afford too many rookies on the roster. You want some young vets mixed in there so you can build your system. We have 4 quality rookies moving back and forth from the GLeague already.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves