ImageImageImage

WOJ: Robert Covington traded for Evan Turner, Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangómez, and Brooklyn’s First Round Draft Pick

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Re: WOJ: Robert Covington traded for Evan Turner, Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangómez, and Brooklyn’s First Round Draft P 

Post#221 » by PharmD » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:52 pm

So basically Denver traded Beasely for about as much as we got for Covington right?
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,197

Re: WOJ: Robert Covington traded for Evan Turner, Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangómez, and Brooklyn’s First Round Draft P 

Post#222 » by Neeva » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:53 pm

The way their luck is and the wolves luck the player the nuggets draft with the houston pick will end up better than the wolves lottery pick smh
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#223 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Macwolf527 wrote:
Now as far as moving Houston’s pick for the Denver players? Let’s be honest with ourselves, Minnesota is not high on the list of free agents so when you have a chance to acquire players with the ability to retain them via RFA, you have to jump on it. The worst possible scenario is they sign the one year RFA offer sheet, and you trade them next season. Best case, you match an offer they get from another team, and 2020 free agency favors the team holding RFA rights because there’s not a lot of capspace out there. Even less, with them lowering the cap just last week. These are the type of moves that leave you with cap flexibility for the future. As Wolves fans, we’ve lived through enough of overpaying free agents. This is the formula, develop young players with upside that fit your system and have reasonable contracts, then you maintain flexibility to build your team and culture.

That seems like an argument that could be used for keeping Houston's pick.

Have the ability to retain 3 players > Have the ability to retain 1 player

Depends on how much you like the 3 players, I guess. I think most would take an unknown draft pick over Hermangomez and Vanderbilt. Whether you'd take the pick over Beasley may be somewhat debatable.
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#224 » by Macwolf527 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:02 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

That seems like an argument that could be used for keeping Houston's pick.

Have the ability to retain 3 players > Have the ability to retain 1 player

Depends on how much you like the 3 players, I guess. I think most would take an unknown draft pick over Hermangomez and Vanderbilt. Whether you'd take the pick over Beasley may be somewhat debatable.

Mid 1st round or higher, but when you start to get into the latter part, teams typically wait till the draft to make those trades, so they have a guarantee the players they want is available. A 20+ draft pick won’t get you much this time of year.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#225 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:17 pm

PharmD wrote:So basically Denver traded Beasely for about as much as we traded Covington right?

Not really.

Denver traded Beasley plus small pieces for HOU 1st
Minnesota traded Covington for 2 1sts and large expiring

Think of the trade in two parts to compare the two packages. You have the 3-way deal with Atlanta and Houston, and then the Denver deal

3-way
MIN Out: Covington, Bell
MIN In: Turner, Green, HOU 1st, BRK 1st

ATL Out: Turner, BRK 1st
ATL In: Capela, Nene

HOU Out: Capela, Nene, Green, HOU 1st
HOU In: Covington, Bell
---------
DEN Out/MIN In: Beasley, Hernangomez, Vanderbilt
MIN Out/DEN In: Napier, Vonleh, Bates-Diop, Green, HOU 1st
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#226 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:28 pm

Ultimately, the play of Porter Jr. more than anyone made both Beasley and Hernangomez expendable, but I do wonder if this is another Nurkic situation. Both these guys have an immense amount of talent and it simply could be a matter of consistent opportunity and room to make mistakes and learn from them to make each blossom.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2020/2/5/21124227/juancho-hernangomez-malik-beasley-denver-nuggets-minnesota-timberwolves-nba-trade-deadline-rumor
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#227 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:31 pm

Klomp wrote:John Hollinger:

Houston’s part of this deal is the most revolutionary, but asset-wise the Timberwolves made out the best. This is the best move this franchise has made in a long time, and it was done with Minnesota at the epicenter of one of the most complicated trades in league history — representing an almost unimaginable shift from previous eras in Minnesota.

https://theathletic.com/1585932/2020/02/05/the-revolution-is-here-on-houstons-move-to-go-centerless-praise-for-the-wolves-and-hawks-nuggets-takeaways/

Hollinger is a pretty respected analyst right?
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#228 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:33 pm

shrink wrote:
PharmD wrote:
shrink wrote:Value Thoughts:

For overall value, this is more than some people thought Covington would bring, less than others. The Nets 1st is likely to convey this year, and is better than the HOU 2020. Malik Beasley is probably worth a high 2nd (you still need to match a big offer this summer to keep him), and Juancho might be worth a late 2nd.

However, MIN gave up more than the 2.5 years of Covington’s cheap deal. They also gave up Napier, who is playing really well (though there is not much of a market for PG’s), and they gave up Vonleh, KDB, and Bell, where someone is probably worth a 2nd. They also gave up $8 mil in salary this year (thanks Glen), but it doesn’t look like we’re compensated for that either.

For value, this is a make-good return. RoCo was a valuable piece - the main part of the Butler trade, and intrinsic to our system. To me, this is Rosas betting he Is good enough at evaluating talent that he can find a legit starter with the BRK pick, and that he can sign Beasley to a reasonable contract. With Vanderbilt and the expiring Hermangomez, was he able to identify players that he can develop. Note that he traded away most of the other players he had hoped would thrive.

I, um, disagree. Who thought Covington would bring LESS than this?

Why would anyone pay a high 2nd for Beasely's Bird Rights? And a 2nd for Juancho's Bird Rights? The guy is a lampost on D and shoots 34/25 from the field. He'll be out of the league next year.

Many posters on the trade board thought that Covington was not worth more than Capela, let alone giving up the 2020 1st and maybe the 2022, since he was “just a role player.”

As for Beasley, you are welcome to your opinion, but DEN offered him 3 years, $30 mil, and he turned it down, expecting to get a better offer. He’s not having a great year, but clearly some people value him.

I think Beasley could work out well for us, but consider when he was turning down that offer and his performance since turning it down. He might end up signing for less than $10 million a year. His agent though will know the pressure on the Wolves to resign him and could have us over a barrel.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:36 pm

With 24 hours to the deadline, Houston, Atlanta, Minnesota and Denver won’t have time to complete all the necessary physicals. and paperwork on their trade in time to complete another trade before the deadline. (The rule is that every trade must be complete before players from that trade can be placed into a subsequent deal). That is why the deal isn’t official yet; all four teams are working to see if they can add elements to the trade by re-routing some of the pieces headed their way.

https://theathletic.com/1586225/2020/02/05/nba-trade-deadline-blog%e2%81%a0-sam-amick-and-john-hollinger-live-updates/?article_source=related

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#230 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:36 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I want to get this straight. We got Beasley, Juancho and Vanderbilt for the Houston 1st, Napier and did they get KBD?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,647

Post#231 » by shrink » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
PharmD wrote:So basically Denver traded Beasely for about as much as we traded Covington right?

Not really.

Denver traded Beasley plus small pieces for HOU 1st
Minnesota traded Covington for 2 1sts and large expiring

Plus the BRK 1st is going to be like #17, and the HOU 1st could be like #28 with Cov there now, which is a big value difference.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#232 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:39 pm

Klomp wrote:Now I want to trade for Willy too....

That would be fun.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#233 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:59 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

I want to get this straight. We got Beasley, Juancho and Vanderbilt for the Houston 1st, Napier and did they get KBD?

OK I found the answer so replying to my own question. Yes they Got KBD and they Got Green. The highest regarded player out of that group is Beasley for sure. How would the rest of them rank?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#234 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:13 pm

KGdaBom wrote:OK I found the answer so replying to my own question. Yes they Got KBD and they Got Green. The highest regarded player out of that group is Beasley for sure. How would the rest of them rank?

It depends what you're looking for.

I know some people will see Napier as second because of our PG need, but to me, he'd only be second if I viewed him as a piece I'd want to keep around past this year. I don't, so he's not. Similar situation with Green, who really would have little use here.

I think Hernangomez and Bates-Diop are on a similar level. They're practically the same age too. It's a toss up. Some might lean Bates-Diop because of the contract, but why waste our time with it if the FO has determined he's not likely a piece for the team going forward?

We're taking a flier on Vanderbilt, similar to ones taken on Reid and Nowell. Personally I think he has potential, though he's probably pretty raw right now. Like the swing for upside though.

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,966

Post#235 » by Nick K » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:37 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I just checked stats on Jerred Vanderbilt. He shoots over 71% from the field. We got a steal. :lol: :evil:

He seems to be the definition of a non-shooter as literally every shot this season has been in the 0-3 ft range.

The great thing is we don't need him to shoot from outside 3 ft. Just rebound, rim protect and put back everything in sight. I would take a Dennis Rodman type.
Wolves21
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#236 » by Wolves21 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:40 pm

Not a terrible trade and like most I like Beasley & Hernangomez and they should at least be quality guys off the bench.Also like add another 1st even with it being in the late teens.I wanted to keep Naiper & KDB and thought going forward they would be two really nice piece to our bench but the two young guys we got back plus Vanderbilt I think have more of and upside.

Only thing I am a little worried about is both Beasely & Gomez are restricted free agents.Not super worried but if someone offers more then $10M for Beasley I would probably pass on resigning him,don't think he'll get and offer more then that with his lack of playing time this year.

Still think that where going to end up trading for Russell by tomorrow.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#237 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:48 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:OK I found the answer so replying to my own question. Yes they Got KBD and they Got Green. The highest regarded player out of that group is Beasley for sure. How would the rest of them rank?

It depends what you're looking for.

I know some people will see Napier as second because of our PG need, but to me, he'd only be second if I viewed him as a piece I'd want to keep around past this year. I don't, so he's not. Similar situation with Green, who really would have little use here.

I think Hernangomez and Bates-Diop are on a similar level. They're practically the same age too. It's a toss up. Some might lean Bates-Diop because of the contract, but why waste our time with it if the FO has determined he's not likely a piece for the team going forward?

We're taking a flier on Vanderbilt, similar to ones taken on Reid and Nowell. Personally I think he has potential, though he's probably pretty raw right now. Like the swing for upside though.

Thanks for the reply, but you're hedging. Can you just rank them 1-7
1 Beasley
2 Vanderbilt ( I love rebounding and I hear he's elite. He's also a very good ball handler/passer for a Swing forward.)
3 Napier
4 KBD
5 Juancho
6 Vonleh
7 Green

Or what?
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#238 » by mandurugo » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:02 pm

Nick K wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I just checked stats on Jerred Vanderbilt. He shoots over 71% from the field. We got a steal. :lol: :evil:

He seems to be the definition of a non-shooter as literally every shot this season has been in the 0-3 ft range.

The great thing is we don't need him to shoot from outside 3 ft. Just rebound, rim protect and put back everything in sight. I would take a Dennis Rodman type.

I don't think your vision for what the ideal version of Vanderbilt might be is a bad idea, but the current wolves offensive scheme absolutely depends on him being able to shoot from outside. His current skillset is going to make him a non-factor on the team unless they totally change what they are doing. They've shown no willingness to do that, so I don't think he'll play much if at all.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#239 » by LibertyPrime » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:11 pm

I'm wondering whether we hold on to Turner or flip him for someone else's problem child.
"The last domino falls here!"
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#240 » by Dewey » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:17 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:I'm wondering whether we hold on to Turner or flip him for someone else's problem child.

Send his $18m expiring for player + frp ... :-?

Actually I read a rumor that we may be buying him out
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves