ImageImageImage

The more I think about it, the more I like the potential of this trade. It's a move for the future.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,662

Re: The more I think about it, the more I like the potential of this trade. It's a move for the future. 

Post#81 » by shrink » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:19 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:Dane is always good at providing timely insights about this team.

Understanding this summer’s market is critical here. Currently, only five teams project to have cap space this summer — Atlanta ($49.6 million), Charlotte ($24.3 million), Detroit ($32.4 million), Miami ($26.4 million) and New York ($31.4 million). To offer a contract with an annual salary of over $9.8 million this summer (the mid-level exception), a team needs cap space. Beasley turned down a 3-year, $30 million contract extension from Denver this past summer, suggesting he is looking for over $10 million annually on his next deal. If that’s the case, the teams that can bid over that $10 million are limited to Atlanta, Charlotte, Detroit, Miami and New York. It only takes one, but that’s a pretty damn restricted market.

To me, that suggests only one of Beasley or Hernangomez is likely to return. A million different things can change between now and then — this front office has shown us they’re clearly willing to shake up the roster — but there is only so much room. Given the marketplace Beasley is likely to live in, it seems like he is the more likely to be retained by the Wolves, leaving Hernangomez to take a path similar to Tyus last summer.

https://zonecoverage.com/2020/timberwolves/timberwolves-mailbag-where-is-dangelo-russell-going-to-take-the-timberwolves/

For those who didn't click, his reasons for coming to this conclusion are largely this will be the summer of the MLE around the league and that Beasley, Hernangomez and using our MLE could take us over the luxury tax. That very well could be true, but I think the franchise is in a different situation than they were last summer. First of all, we could have 11 guys under contract plus Beasley, Hernangomez and the two picks (that's not even counting McLaughlin right now). We don't have to save cap to fill out a lot of roster spots. If decisions are made, it's due more to roster crunch than due to keeping flexibility like it was for Tyus. Last summer, cap flexibility was of utmost importance due to star-chasing and filling out the back of the roster. We have Karl's sidekick now so I think it becomes about surrounding him with complementary pieces. If Hernangomez is deemed the right fit next to Towns, I don't think we let him walk. I don't believe we will go into the luxury tax but also believe Moore is factoring worst possible scenario in terms of what it will cost. Hernangomez likely won't get a full MLE offer from someone. Also, I wouldn't say that we would use our own full MLE before deciding on Hernangomez. Now, maybe I'm wrong, but I think as long as he's deemed a skill set fit, he'll be here.

Good post, and good article.

If we have $26 mil under the lux, I can see $10 for Beasley, $8 for Hermangomez, and $9.75 for MLE is $27.75, so that’s close to begin with. However, lux penalties are based on a team’s salaries at the end of the season, not the beginning, and Rosas has shown he will be very active. I am sure our payroll will not be identical in July 2020 as it is in June of 2021, so I wouldn’t worry.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Re: The more I think about it, the more I like the potential of this trade. It's a move for the future. 

Post#82 » by Killboard » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:43 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:

For those who didn't click, his reasons for coming to this conclusion are largely this will be the summer of the MLE around the league and that Beasley, Hernangomez and using our MLE could take us over the luxury tax. That very well could be true, but I think the franchise is in a different situation than they were last summer. First of all, we could have 11 guys under contract plus Beasley, Hernangomez and the two picks (that's not even counting McLaughlin right now). We don't have to save cap to fill out a lot of roster spots. If decisions are made, it's due more to roster crunch than due to keeping flexibility like it was for Tyus. Last summer, cap flexibility was of utmost importance due to star-chasing and filling out the back of the roster. We have Karl's sidekick now so I think it becomes about surrounding him with complementary pieces. If Hernangomez is deemed the right fit next to Towns, I don't think we let him walk. I don't believe we will go into the luxury tax but also believe Moore is factoring worst possible scenario in terms of what it will cost. Hernangomez likely won't get a full MLE offer from someone. Also, I wouldn't say that we would use our own full MLE before deciding on Hernangomez. Now, maybe I'm wrong, but I think as long as he's deemed a skill set fit, he'll be here.

Good post, and good article.

If we have $26 mil under the lux, I can see $10 for Beasley, $8 for Hermangomez, and $9.75 for MLE is $27.75, so that’s close to begin with. However, lux penalties are based on a team’s salaries at the end of the season, not the beginning, and Rosas has shown he will be very active. I am sure our payroll will not be identical in July 2020 as it is in June of 2021, so I wouldn’t worry.

If the luxury tax next season is at 139M (spotrac say so) the wolves would have more like 29-34M to resign our guys and use the MLE. The commited salary right now along with the two projected picks (which could change depending were we end up picking) is around 105-110M. That's a considerably bump. But I agree with Klomp, I dont see us using the MLE before deciding what to do with Juancho (which could mean the MLE could be dry).

PS: Im the one who asked Dane the first question on twitter (KB) about the strategy the wolves could use to avoid switching D'Angelo on dominant playmakers. That was a compelling response. His job is really good.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves