WOJ: D'Lo to Minnesota for Andrew Wiggins and picks

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,533

Re: WOJ: D'Lo to Minnesota for Andrew Wiggins and picks 

Post#421 » by shrink » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm

DaKidKG wrote:
ESPOMAN wrote:I do like how a lot of people were always saying how bad Wiggins was before the trade and how untradeable his contract was. Now he's on Golden State and it seems a lot of people and the media almost done a complete 180 on him. I think he'll be better in Golden State but I don't think he will ever be worth the max.

It's really amazing isn't it? I'm keeping track of a who the media shills are. To name a few: Chris Brousard, Ric Bucher, and Doug Gottlieb.

The only guys worth listening to on ESPN for analysis are Brian Windhorst and Nick Wright.

I agree. ESPN and all media are companies that have less obligation to be fair than they have to their stockholders to generate media clicks and ad revenues. GSW got a lot of fans with their successes over the last few years, and ESPN is going to put out stories that keep them on their channel. It’s nauseating how they do this for the Lakers.

I like Windhorst too, but if he didn’t have a special relationship with LeBron, he never would have made it to ESPN. ESPN viewers want to hear about LeBron.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
trevor0333
Senior
And1: 86

Post#422 » by trevor0333 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:54 pm

shrink wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:
ESPOMAN wrote:I do like how a lot of people were always saying how bad Wiggins was before the trade and how untradeable his contract was. Now he's on Golden State and it seems a lot of people and the media almost done a complete 180 on him. I think he'll be better in Golden State but I don't think he will ever be worth the max.

It's really amazing isn't it? I'm keeping track of a who the media shills are. To name a few: Chris Brousard, Ric Bucher, and Doug Gottlieb.

The only guys worth listening to on ESPN for analysis are Brian Windhorst and Nick Wright.

I agree. ESPN and all media are companies that have less obligation to be fair than they have to their stockholders to generate media clicks and ad revenues. GSW got a lot of fans with their successes over the last few years, and ESPN is going to put out stories that keep them on their channel. It’s nauseating how they do this for the Lakers.

I like Windhorst too, but if he didn’t have a special relationship with LeBron, he never would have made it to ESPN. ESPN viewers want to hear about LeBron.

I think it's fair to say, teams and analysts saw how well he was playing for an extended period early. Also, especially alongside Towns. He was never going to realize that full potential here. A change a scenery was definitely needed.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#423 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:23 pm

trevor0333 wrote:
shrink wrote:
DaKidKG wrote:It's really amazing isn't it? I'm keeping track of a who the media shills are. To name a few: Chris Brousard, Ric Bucher, and Doug Gottlieb.

I think it's fair to say, teams and analysts saw how well he was playing for an extended period early. Also, especially alongside Towns. He was never going to realize that full potential here. A change a scenery was definitely needed.

Yeah, now he can hide on the court in peace.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#424 » by King Malta » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:19 pm

Along the media 180 on Wiggins, the other thing I'm personally enjoying is the excuses they're making for the Dubs front office, to make them look like the real winners in the trade.

"When a front office that's so smart makes a trade like this, you have to wonder, what do they know that you don't?". "This front office doesn't get many decisions wrong"...etc. If getting rid of Dlo for Wiggins is such a smart move, then how did such a smart front office make the disastrous move of acquiring him in the first place? :lol:
shrink
RealGM

Post#425 » by shrink » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:56 pm

King Malta wrote:Along the media 180 on Wiggins, the other thing I'm personally enjoying is the excuses they're making for the Dubs front office, to make them look like the real winners in the trade.

"When a front office that's so smart makes a trade like this, you have to wonder, what do they know that you don't?". "This front office doesn't get many decisions wrong"...etc. If getting rid of Dlo for Wiggins is such a smart move, then how did such a smart front office make the disastrous move of acquiring him in the first place? :lol:

That’s a great point. While there is value in maintaining that space over the cap rather than let Durant walk for nothing, many people have said it would take more than a 1st to get off Wiggins. If we gave out a negative package, the “brilliant” front office from GSW must have acquired a negative valued DLo, for the price of Iguodala and 2 firsts (kind of seems like 1).

At the price of these two moves, it may have been better to simply let Durant walk, rather than compound the loss.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#426 » by mandurugo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:22 pm

shrink wrote:
King Malta wrote:Along the media 180 on Wiggins, the other thing I'm personally enjoying is the excuses they're making for the Dubs front office, to make them look like the real winners in the trade.

That’s a great point. While there is value in maintaining that space over the cap rather than let Durant walk for nothing, many people have said it would take more than a 1st to get off Wiggins. If we gave out a negative package, the “brilliant” front office from GSW must have acquired a negative valued DLo, for the price of Iguodala and 2 firsts (kind of seems like 1).

At the price of these two moves, it may have been better to simply let Durant walk, rather than compound the loss.

Perhaps the common wisdom on Wiggins was an oft repeated but unjustified take? Rosas did suggest he could trade him last year as well for neutral value... or am I remembering that wrong?
SFbaybum
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#427 » by SFbaybum » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:17 pm

I think it's safe to say both teams are very happy with this trade, which is ideal. No need to make it out to seem one team clearly won the trade or got screwed. Honestly, both teams are very happy with the deal. Win win.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#428 » by Mattya » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:24 pm

SFbaybum wrote:I think it's safe to say both teams are very happy with this trade, which is ideal. No need to make it out to seem one team clearly won the trade or got screwed. Honestly, both teams are very happy with the deal. Win win.

I'm not sure why anyone would be judging this trade based on performances after 3 games. The Wolves were looking like a playoff team through the first 10-15 games of the season, then once there is even a half season sample size things looked very different. We won't truly be able to judge this trade until once the Wolves pick conveys and we see Wiggins produce in a sample size bigger than 20 games.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#429 » by King Malta » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:07 am

I find the concept of 'winning' trades to be a little shallow to be honest.

I'm not really concerned how well the trade works out for Golden State, as long as we get a positive outcome ourselves. If the Dubs just so happen to have a more positive outcome, meh.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#430 » by TheDominator273 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 am

"When a front office that's so smart makes a trade like this, you have to wonder, what do they know that you don't?". "This front office doesn't get many decisions wrong"...etc. If getting rid of Dlo for Wiggins is such a smart move, then how did such a smart front office make the disastrous move of acquiring him in the first place?
Except it's not the same front office that made all those great decisions, that left when Jerry West walked out the door and went to the Clippers.
shrink
RealGM

Post#431 » by shrink » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:57 am

mandurugo wrote:
shrink wrote:

Perhaps the common wisdom on Wiggins was an oft repeated but unjustified take? Rosas did suggest he could trade him last year as well for neutral value... or am I remembering that wrong?

I believe it was for “less than people think,” but I may be mixing that up some anonymous GMs that Zach Lowe talked to?

To be fair, there was never any sure link back then between Wiggins and DLo. MIN was pursueing Russell hard, and the reports from other GM’s were that Rosas was acting like he could get the cap space BRK wanted in a DLo sign-and-trade. It was never leaked how he was getting that cap space. At the same time we heard rumors about Wiggins value. I have always maintained the timing of those two things were linked, and that it also didn’t make sense to take in Russell on a max deal if we still had Wiggins here as a third option on a max deal. I still believe Rosas mystery deal had us getting cap space from a third team (not GSW), in exchange for Wiggins plus some assets - but less assets than many think.
shrink
RealGM

Post#432 » by shrink » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:58 am

King Malta wrote:I find the concept of 'winning' trades to be a little shallow to be honest.

I'm not really concerned how well the trade works out for Golden State, as long as we get a positive outcome ourselves. If the Dubs just so happen to have a more positive outcome, meh.

I’m with you. In a good trade, both sides are winners, improving on their team’s goals vs the other 28 teams in the league.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves