WOJ: D'Lo to Minnesota for Andrew Wiggins and picks

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: WOJ: D'Lo to Minnesota for Andrew Wiggins and picks 

Post#361 » by Jedzz » Sat Feb 8, 2020 9:03 pm

younggunsmn wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I've already read a few Warriors fans trying to combine the Iggy move in to massage the idea of how much they "actually" paid for Dlo while listening to them defend the Warriors when I claimed they are just deviously good at working every angle and loophole of this system and more or less treating other teams as farm systems and a wall to bounce a ball off of to get the ball to come back. Brooklyn needed the space for Durant+ signings, Warriors needed to maintain capload and paid a 2nd round pick for it. Warriors paying the Iggy cost was just a dead process cost that was forced by the Klay injury season and how the Warriors choose to operate in cap insanity land. It doesn't have any bearing on Dlo's cost/value to attain or what he can/should have been traded for.

There is no getting around it. The Warriors very competently traded a 2025 2nd round pick for the rights to have Dlo run their tank, (and maintain their capload as I've been getting taught about today), while Klay was out. And they did so with a "fake" appearance of trading a FRP that appeases others watching it all happen. There was a very real fit problem with Dlo/Steph and no, I don't think there was ever any chance of that FRP conveying. That's exactly why it wasn't just a Lotto protected pick, it was stretched out to 1-20 protected for a reason. They knew there was a risk had Steph played that they would outplay the lotto range. But that's it.

The Warriors could not have acquired D-Lo without moving Iguodala's salary, because of CBA rules about sign and trades and the hard cap. There was no path to D-Lo for them without dumping Igoudala. It was not possible. The pick to the Nets was demanded by Durant because he got pissy about signing off on a sign and trade and thought the Nets should get something out of it.

No one is questioning that. But it doesn't become part of Dlo's cost or value that can be compared to other players cost/value or other teams trading costs/value. The only thing that the Iggy transaction is then is a sunk cost of doing business in order to carry on the way the Warriors choose to handle their basketball business. It's not a league wide choice to handle their business in the way they do, and it's not required of them or any team. So the choice to handle the Iggy situation is nothing but an operating cost(forced by Durant leaving), not something applied to the value/cost of Dlo.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,849

Post#362 » by life_saver » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:12 pm

Looking at DLo's DRPM, it's actually pretty similar to Wiggins DRPM for most seasons except last season when DLo had an average year defensively at Nets.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Post#363 » by shrink » Sat Feb 8, 2020 11:32 pm

Calinks wrote:
shrink wrote:
Calinks wrote:I don't care if they wanted to get rid of him. We wanted to get rid of Wiggins. Even if Russell doesn't play a lick of defense, I don't care, we can move him if we have to, Wiggins was nearly untradable.

The first keeps the second from happening.

After NYK and DET use a lottery pick on the PG situation, who do you think we could trade DLo too?

I think as long as he is one of the better scorers in the NBA, teams will be willing to talk themselves into getting him. In two-three seasons he will still be young, he will have a couple of years left on his deal, and he will likely be an improved player in some area.

Wiggins has been inefficient and bad all over. Russell at least can be sold on the fact that he has a big time scoring punch. We were able to move Wiggins in part because he went on a scoring tear earlier this year.

As for who will trade for him? The NBA landscape is changing rapidly. Teams that are content with their PG today may not be teams that are content tomorrow. End of the day I think Russell is far more tradable than Wiggins and I don't see that changing in the near future.

Maybe we don't get great assets in return for him, but I think we can get off that money if there comes a time when we want to.

The reason I asked you to name teams is because most teams already have two PG’s (and more teams will join those ranks after this draft adds 5-6 lottery PG’s), plus many of the teams that don’t have ball-handling duties in the hands of their best player who isn’t a PG.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
SubZero
Junior
And1: 185

Post#364 » by SubZero » Sun Feb 9, 2020 12:15 am

Dope video came across on Twitter. I think Rosas did a great job at the deadline retooling team heading into the offseason & into next year.

Read on Twitter

The DLo-KAT dynamic without has a chance to be something special. Up to them to back up the hype, the talent is there.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#365 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Feb 9, 2020 12:55 am

shrink wrote:Btw, I’ve found some of the Warriors fans on the Trade Board simply appalling.

It isn’t because they have different opinions (that’s what makes the board fun), but because they have been dishonest. They tout Russell as a “superstar,” when he wears a Warriors jersey, but the second he is traded they completely change their tune.

To me, that’s simply dishonest. Why are we here using up our valuable free time at RealGM if people aren’t posting what they honestly think? And what benefit is there to lying on RealGM anyway? Even if they were able to fool somebody here, it’s not like we have any influence over what happens with our real teams anyway!

Even in the Eat Crow thread, they don’t accept responsibility for vastly over-valuing what Russell would bring back in trade. They say things like, “I was mistaken that my GM would make such a horrible trade for a valuable player.”

Thanks. I just wanted to get that off my chest. A couple of the GSW posters are very good - two of my favorites, but they let some of their pals say outrageous stuff uncorrected. One benefit to me for this trade is that I won’t have to listen to any more “Russell is an untradable superstar in GSW player - the only way to get him is to trade us Towns”-crap any more.

Coxy lost all of his board cred when he decided to flip flop like a walleye out of water. Complete fraud...just man up and admit you were as wrong as could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#366 » by floppymoose » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:50 am

Actually Warriors fans have been divided on DLo, and in some cases have changed opinions over the course of the season. Coxy is solid, no reason to take shots at him.

Meanwhile LAL at GSW is wrapping up as i type. Wiggins first game as a Warrior. He fits so much better than DLo for GS, even with Steph and Klay out. I hope DLo can help your team - could be win/win.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#367 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:00 am

floppymoose wrote:Actually Warriors fans have been divided on DLo, and in some cases have changed opinions over the course of the season. Coxy is solid, no reason to take shots at him.

Meanwhile LAL at GSW is wrapping up as i type. Wiggins first game as a Warrior. He fits so much better than DLo for GS, even with Steph and Klay out. I hope DLo can help your team - could be win/win.

It won’t take long for you to feel the Wiggins cap hit the same way we have. I feel sorry for the GSW fans that fall prey to his “potential”...the landing is on hard mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#368 » by floppymoose » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:10 am

Uh, his cap hit is pretty identical to DLo’s, so nothing changed there for GS
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#369 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 9, 2020 6:18 am

floppymoose wrote:Meanwhile LAL at GSW is wrapping up as i type. Wiggins first game as a Warrior. He fits so much better than DLo for GS, even with Steph and Klay out. I hope DLo can help your team - could be win/win.

Be advised....

There are a few teams that, practically any time they're on the schedule, Wiggins plays well. He ups his level of play against them, but seems to coast/struggle against many teams. Luckily for the Warriors, two of those teams he loves to play are in the Pacific Division in the Lakers and Kings. Cleveland is another to look forward to as is Toronto, and I have a gut feeling Minnesota will now be added to the list.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
life_saver
General Manager

Post#370 » by life_saver » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:43 am

floppymoose wrote:Actually Warriors fans have been divided on DLo, and in some cases have changed opinions over the course of the season. Coxy is solid, no reason to take shots at him.

The thing about Wiggins is that he usually plays his best when he is ball dominant...now that Steph, Klay is out, he will have the luxury of being ball dominant & the primary scorer of the team...he is gonna score probably 20+ ppg at avg - below par efficiency for rest of the season. But once Splash bros are back, his usage rate is gonna decrease and that's going to be an issue. Through out his time in Minnesota, Wiggins usually plays his worst when he isn't ball dominant and usage rate is low. Other than the left corner 3, his spot up shooting also isn't good. He tends to become very passive in these kinda situations. Which is why his worst season came in 2017-18 when he had to play 3rd fiddle behind KAT & Jimmy. It just becomes so frustrating.

Unless this aspect of him changes and he adapts to playing on a team where his usage rate will be low & learns how to play off-ball and, it's hard for him to succeed. And yeah...that shooting also needs to increase. One thing is that when he is locked in, he can be a decent 1 on 1 defender but he is locked in like maybe 15-20% of the time :banghead:
low
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#371 » by low » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:55 pm

Love the trade.

Rosas did a spectacular job. It's fun again, the Wolves are relevant. Its nice to know the Wolves front office is run by a professional who really knows what he is doing.

Last night, I thought the Wolves looked like the Rockets.

Gonna miss Georgi, he was just such a great guy and teammate.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#372 » by Swish4 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:07 pm

It all boils down to hitting your 3's. When that happens, it's an easy game and it's been the bottom line failure of this team for years. Let's hope that it's changed.
low
Ballboy

Post#373 » by low » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:19 pm

I am new here so I thought to introduce myself. I recently made an account here at real gm.

I am Minnesota guy, having lived in Champlin, Anoka, NE Minneapolis and other places. Am a big Twins fan. I have always been a fair weather Wolf fan. The Andrew Wiggins trade got me interested in the team again.

Anyway, big Hello to everyone. I have for years enjoyed the information that Real GM provides. Go Twins, and hope the Wolves finally righted there ship. It looks like with Rosas they finally got a great captain. And thanks for all the information posted here to update me on the Wolf trade. Thank you moderators and fans.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,645

Post#374 » by shrink » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:05 pm

low wrote:I am new here so I thought to introduce myself. I recently made an account here at real gm.

I am Minnesota guy, having lived in Champlin, Anoka, NE Minneapolis and other places. Am a big Twins fan. I have always been a fair weather Wolf fan. The Andrew Wiggins trade got me interested in the team again.

Anyway, big Hello to everyone. I have for years enjoyed the information that Real GM provides. Go Twins, and hope the Wolves finally righted there ship. It looks like with Rosas they finally got a great captain. And thanks for all the information posted here to update me on the Wolf trade. Thank you moderators and fans.

Welcome, and I hope there are many more out there like you!
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#375 » by GopherIt! » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:10 pm

Sorry Floppy, but I’ve lost any respect I had for Coxy.
low
Ballboy

Post#376 » by low » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:45 pm

shrink wrote:
low wrote:I am new here so I thought to introduce myself. I recently made an account here at real gm.

Welcome, and I hope there are many more out there like you!

Thanks much for the welcoming guys, appreciated.
life_saver
General Manager

Post#377 » by life_saver » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:02 pm

Good lord...look at this **** bum...he was the major reason for this team to have losing record in recent years...he had the worst net impact on the team in recent years outside Jamal Crawford

Read on Twitter
SpaceCenter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#378 » by SpaceCenter » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:10 pm

life_saver wrote:Good lord...look at this **** bum...he was the major reason for this team to have losing record in recent years...he had the worst net impact on the team in recent years outside Jamal Crawford

Read on Twitter

No, it was always Towns. You traded the wrong one.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#379 » by wildvikeswolves » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:32 pm

SpaceCenter wrote:
life_saver wrote:Good lord...look at this **** bum...he was the major reason for this team to have losing record in recent years...he had the worst net impact on the team in recent years outside Jamal Crawford

Read on Twitter

No, it was always Towns. You traded the wrong one.

:lol:
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#380 » by TheProdigy » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:05 pm

Read on Twitter

I like how he talks about a winning culture while playing for the team with the worst record in the league. Can't make this stuff up.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves