Comparing KAT/DLo to KG/Steph

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Comparing KAT/DLo to KG/Steph 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:31 am

I see a lot of similarities here in starting what we hope to be something special.

Don't be alarmed by the comp to KG/Steph. I know how things ended, but I mean this in the most positive light. There are reasons why I think this one will work out in ways that one didn't.

1. Older
When Garnett and Marbury teamed up, Garnett was a 20-year old and Marbury was a 19-year old. Not only are they just a little older and wiser, but they have more life experiences as NBA pros coming in to draw from

2. Contracts
Marbury was jealous of Garnett's contract. He wanted to make what Garnett made, but that wasn't possible under the salary cap once Garnett signed his deal. Towns and Russell are both locked into longterm deals and are actually making the same amount of money. That won't strain the relationship like it did for Marbury and Garnett. (btw, Marbury should've taken his own advice in the interview below)

3. Not Russell's first team
Marbury wanted to be the guy. He wanted to go to the big city. Meanwhile, Russell has been the man in the spotlight in big markets. He knows what that's like. I think he'll really enjoy the change of pace Minnesota provides.

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Comparing KAT/DLo to KG/Steph 

Post#2 » by Jedzz » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:54 am

good points

We'll have to see wait to see whether either of them have the same drive now as a tag team.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 199

Post#3 » by Battletrigger » Sun Feb 9, 2020 2:46 pm

Man, the only similarity that I see it's that our best players are a Pg and a big.

Kat isn't in the same divion that KG, if Kat was near KG level we would be in a much better situation( I include here the mental strength)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,002

Post#4 » by shrink » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:13 pm

I miss Kevin Harlan too
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:57 pm

Battletrigger wrote:Kat isn't in the same divion that KG, if Kat was near KG level we would be in a much better situation( I include here the mental strength)

Well of course, I wasn't trying to say he was.

But keep in mind we've seen the full career of Garnett. Five years into his career, KG wasn't near KG level either. I know everyone's minds goes immediately to the playoff run starting his second season, but keep in mind Garnett's fifth season in the league was only his second time on a team with a winning record. The fifth year was when he really made that jump. Towns' is delayed some with the trade deadline, but hopefully this can spark something in Towns and Russell to help this team elevate and make that jump.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

delux55
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#6 » by delux55 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 4:10 pm

Please dont
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#7 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:42 pm

Lakers Russell was probably very similar to Starbury from a maturity/wants and needs standpoint. Fortunately, in Brooklyn he ran into one of the best leadership/coaching groups in the league and did a lot of growing up/maturing. I hope that sticks and he wants to be a student and still grow. If Saunders is the right coach for that, great. If not, then we would probably need to reassess.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 9, 2020 6:30 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:Lakers Russell was probably very similar to Starbury from a maturity/wants and needs standpoint. Fortunately, in Brooklyn he ran into one of the best leadership/coaching groups in the league and did a lot of growing up/maturing. I hope that sticks and he wants to be a student and still grow. If Saunders is the right coach for that, great. If not, then we would probably need to reassess.

Read on Twitter

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,002

Post#9 » by shrink » Sun Feb 9, 2020 6:33 pm

Well texting is sure to increase his athleticism!

Seriously though, it’s good to see. Russell needs to get it done by being smart, and he has developed skills that work that way, in the right team context, I hope he keeps studying.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 199

Post#10 » by Battletrigger » Sun Feb 9, 2020 6:44 pm

Klomp wrote:
Battletrigger wrote:Kat isn't in the same divion that KG, if Kat was near KG level we would be in a much better situation( I include here the mental strength)

Well of course, I wasn't trying to say he was.

But keep in mind we've seen the full career of Garnett. Five years into his career, KG wasn't near KG level either. I know everyone's minds goes immediately to the playoff run starting his second season, but keep in mind Garnett's fifth season in the league was only his second time on a team with a winning record. The fifth year was when he really made that jump. Towns' is delayed some with the trade deadline, but hopefully this can spark something in Towns and Russell to help this team elevate and make that jump.

I agree with that but not everybody reaches that level and I don't see that possibility in Towns. Sure he is a very good offensive player but he is a bad defensive player too. And I have issues with his mental strength. This year began really focused but he lost the concentration when the losses began, and only recovered it when DLo was official. (Remember the comments when RoCo was traded).
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Feb 9, 2020 7:15 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:Lakers Russell was probably very similar to Starbury from a maturity/wants and needs standpoint. Fortunately, in Brooklyn he ran into one of the best leadership/coaching groups in the league and did a lot of growing up/maturing. I hope that sticks and he wants to be a student and still grow. If Saunders is the right coach for that, great. If not, then we would probably need to reassess.

Read on Twitter

That is at least a good first step. Let's see how it's implemented by around a third of the season next month though (a full training camp/enough games to adjust as needed to new teammates, schemes, etc. and enough time to be more than a sample size).

It could be huge if Saunders could get them to be up to tolerable on defense whether it comes from hiding them scheming to their strengths, challenging them, etc. (Similar to Kanter in Portland and Leonard in Miami)
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#12 » by King Malta » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:11 am

shrink wrote:Well texting is sure to increase his athleticism!

Seriously though, it’s good to see. Russell needs to get it done by being smart, and he has developed skills that work that way, in the right team context, I hope he keeps studying.

He mentioned during the press conference that he's a film junkie too, which is a good sign.

If he's open to addressing the areas he needs to improve and is willing to do the hard yards, perhaps three guys on the staff who have been seen as positive influences on other guards (Ryan with Beal, David with CJ/Dame and Prigs with DLo himself) can assist him in hitting his ceiling, whatever that is.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:33 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.netsdaily.com/platform/amp/2019/2/15/18226071/sean-marks-on-dangelo-russell-hes-rounding-out-into-a-pro

Fwiw when D'Lo got to the Nets he asked to be coached and they watched him grow up a lot. He has a really bad rep from his LA days still in some minds but that's not him.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves