ImageImageImage

The Malik Beasley Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Re: The Malik Beasley Thread 

Post#161 » by K4P » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:51 pm

Very interesting that his injury is announced on the same day Russell comes back...
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,332

Post#162 » by winforlose » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:58 pm

K4P wrote:Very interesting that his injury is announced on the same day Russell comes back...

Beasley missed the last two games. He wasn’t ready to play tonight so they did imaging and found an injury. Look up grade 3 hamstring injuries. The only thing about the story I don’t believe is that he will be healthy in 4-6 weeks. More like 4-6 months.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,290

Post#163 » by Calinks » Mon May 17, 2021 11:45 pm

Read on Twitter
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#164 » by TheZachAttack » Tue May 18, 2021 11:17 am

Beasley could be a huge xfactor
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#165 » by jpatrick » Tue May 18, 2021 1:11 pm

Beasley's shooting could really help, but I'm not sure how minutes are going to play out unless trades are made. Currently DLo is playing major minutes at SG, and I almost get the sense Finch prefers him there. We'll see if that changes. I could see Rubio moved out, forcing DLo to get most of the minutes at PG.

Currently, however, SG minutes will be spread between DLo, Beasley, Edwards, and Bolmaro (if he comes). That's not even accounting for trying to develop Nowell or Culver if they are still here. While DLo can play PG and Edwards can play SF, an argument can be made their best positions are SG. To me, for salary and minute purposes, it almost seems that one of Rubio or Beasley are going to have to be moved this offseason.

All this is not even considering if we get lucky in the lotto and are possibly drafting Cunnigham, Suggs, or Green.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#166 » by winforlose » Tue May 18, 2021 1:27 pm

jpatrick wrote:Beasley's shooting could really help, but I'm not sure how minutes are going to play out unless trades are made. Currently DLo is playing major minutes at SG, and I almost get the sense Finch prefers him there. We'll see if that changes. I could see Rubio moved out, forcing DLo to get most of the minutes at PG.

Currently, however, SG minutes will be spread between DLo, Beasley, Edwards, and Bolmaro (if he comes). That's not even accounting for trying to develop Nowell or Culver if they are still here. While DLo can play PG and Edwards can play SF, an argument can be made their best positions are SG. To me, for salary and minute purposes, it almost seems that one of Rubio or Beasley are going to have to be moved this offseason.

All this is not even considering if we get lucky in the lotto and are possibly drafting Cunnigham, Suggs, or Green.

If we keep our pick Beasley becomes moveable. If not I really like the idea of keeping him in the starting lineup and making the second unit revolve around Ant. Finish the game with whoever has the better night, but give Ant a chance to play against weaker defenders where he can ball dominate. On the floor with KAT and Dlo he either doesn’t shoot enough or takes away from what the others can do. In these last 10 games you can really see how desperate the second unit is for scoring without KAT. Dlo. Beasley, MCD, and either a new PF or Vando/Okogie defensive PF can get the job done alongside KAT. Ant meanwhile becomes sixth man of the year and when someone gets hurt he moves back into the starting lineup and the second unit goes back to depending on Naz and the occasional good game from Juancho. Of course if Nowell gets real minutes that will help too.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#167 » by SO_MONEY » Tue May 18, 2021 11:24 pm

winforlose wrote:
jpatrick wrote:Beasley's shooting could really help, but I'm not sure how minutes are going to play out unless trades are made. Currently DLo is playing major minutes at SG, and I almost get the sense Finch prefers him there. We'll see if that changes. I could see Rubio moved out, forcing DLo to get most of the minutes at PG.

If we keep our pick Beasley becomes moveable. If not I really like the idea of keeping him in the starting lineup and making the second unit revolve around Ant. Finish the game with whoever has the better night, but give Ant a chance to play against weaker defenders where he can ball dominate. On the floor with KAT and Dlo he either doesn’t shoot enough or takes away from what the others can do. In these last 10 games you can really see how desperate the second unit is for scoring without KAT. Dlo. Beasley, MCD, and either a new PF or Vando/Okogie defensive PF can get the job done alongside KAT. Ant meanwhile becomes sixth man of the year and when someone gets hurt he moves back into the starting lineup and the second unit goes back to depending on Naz and the occasional good game from Juancho. Of course if Nowell gets real minutes that will help too.

Wow, just wow.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#168 » by winforlose » Wed May 19, 2021 1:55 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Wow, just wow.

I wasn’t sure whether to respond to you as our conversations don’t tend to go well. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and try one more time. So in the spirit of good faith let me ask you, who on our team can create their own shot? Please rank the top five in order. After that please rank the top five best candidates in order who can lead a unit when KAT is on the bench. Because honestly, we are a different and quasi non competitive team when KAT isn’t in the game.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach

Post#169 » by jpatrick » Wed May 19, 2021 2:20 am

I mean there is no reason a team couldn’t bring their best player off the bench and allow him to close. I believe the year Bjelica won Euroleague MVP, he didn’t start.

But let’s be real here. There is absolutely zero chance Ant doesn’t start next year. He will probably be our second best player. He wants to be an all-star. He will start. That doesn’t mean Ant can’t play with the second unit. There is no reason at least one of Ant, KAT, or DLo isn’t on the floor at all times. I despise the 5 for 5 hockey subscription pattern we had going on early in the year.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#170 » by winforlose » Wed May 19, 2021 2:30 am

jpatrick wrote:I mean there is no reason a team couldn’t bring their best player off the bench and allow him to close. I believe the year Bjelica won Euroleague MVP, he didn’t start.

But let’s be real here. There is absolutely zero chance Ant doesn’t start next year. He will probably be our second best player. He wants to be an all-star. He will start. That doesn’t mean Ant can’t play with the second unit. There is no reason at least one of Ant, KAT, or DLo isn’t on the floor at all times. I despise the 5 for 5 hockey subscription pattern we had going on early in the year.

Think of it like this. KAT is the best creator on the team. They always double sometimes triple him, and they always worry he might drive on their bigs or back them down into the lane and get easy buckets in the paint. Next is probably Ant or Dlo depending on the shooting day. After that it gets a little rough. Rubio is in the conversation but his lack of consistent offense makes it hard to defend him as someone who creates for other people. Beasley proved that he struggles off the dribble and needs help with shot creation. He is a catch and shoot guy. MCD, Naz, and Juancho all have their moments, but most of them thrive in either catch and shoot or iso drive/post up depending on the player. It isn’t simply a question of can Ant do well in the second unit, it’s a question of whether the second unit can function without KAT or Ant. It didn’t do so well with Dlo, and while Beasley could help, he isn’t good enough off the dribble to be the difference maker. Meanwhile Beasley is good enough to catch and shoot high volume while being fed by Dlo and KAT.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach

Post#171 » by jpatrick » Wed May 19, 2021 2:10 pm

I’m not against you here. The reality is KAT and zany are going to start. I do think it’s smart to stagger minutes so one of those two is always on the court. Easy enough to do. Maybe yank Ant with four minutes left in the first when most of the second unit comes on. Leave KAT out until a minute or two into the second, bring Ant back in st that point, etc.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#172 » by SO_MONEY » Wed May 19, 2021 8:22 pm

winforlose wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Wow, just wow.

I wasn’t sure whether to respond to you as our conversations don’t tend to go well. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and try one more time. So in the spirit of good faith let me ask you, who on our team can create their own shot? Please rank the top five in order. After that please rank the top five best candidates in order who can lead a unit when KAT is on the bench. Because honestly, we are a different and quasi non competitive team when KAT isn’t in the game.

How do you expect our conversations to go when you do things like advocate for bringing ANT off the bench? I have no reason to comply with your request nor would I with that being the staring point...why bother?!!! But if you want to draw attention to your take by responding to a rhetorical comment, all the power to you.
b7s4
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#173 » by b7s4 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:25 pm

NBA's Malik Beasley Released From Jail Early
https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/17/malik-beasley-nba-released-from-jail-early/

Malik Beasley is a free man ... he was just released from jail Tuesday morning -- and TMZ Sports has confirmed it's because he was on his best behavior while he was behind bars.

A Wright County Jail official tells us Beasley was let out after only 78 days because he "followed the rules" and behaved well while incarcerated.

And, it's clear Beasley was stoked to be let out over a month earlier than expected ... 'cause he released a video on his social media page where he exclaimed, "I'm free!"

As we previously reported, Beasley was sentenced to 120 days behind bars after prosecutors said the Minnesota Timberwolves star exploded on a family that had parked in his driveway in Sept. 2020.

Officials said the 24-year-old NBA player pointed a gun at the people and demanded they piss off.

Beasley was charged but eventually cut a plea deal with prosecutors in the case ... and ultimately began serving his jail sentence in early June.

Shortly after he was locked up ... Beasley released a statement saying he'd use his time behind bars to become a better person, writing, "I'm still working hard everyday on and off the court to be the best version of me."

"I want people to learn from me, because it's going to be one helluva story. This last year is just a chapter, and I hope you stay tuned to the end."
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#174 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:48 pm

b7s4 wrote:NBA's Malik Beasley Released From Jail Early
https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/17/malik-beasley-nba-released-from-jail-early/

Malik Beasley is a free man ... he was just released from jail Tuesday morning -- and TMZ Sports has confirmed it's because he was on his best behavior while he was behind bars.

A Wright County Jail official tells us Beasley was let out after only 78 days because he "followed the rules" and behaved well while incarcerated.

And, it's clear Beasley was stoked to be let out over a month earlier than expected ... 'cause he released a video on his social media page where he exclaimed, "I'm free!"

As we previously reported, Beasley was sentenced to 120 days behind bars after prosecutors said the Minnesota Timberwolves star exploded on a family that had parked in his driveway in Sept. 2020.

Officials said the 24-year-old NBA player pointed a gun at the people and demanded they piss off.

Beasley was charged but eventually cut a plea deal with prosecutors in the case ... and ultimately began serving his jail sentence in early June.

Shortly after he was locked up ... Beasley released a statement saying he'd use his time behind bars to become a better person, writing, "I'm still working hard everyday on and off the court to be the best version of me."

"I want people to learn from me, because it's going to be one helluva story. This last year is just a chapter, and I hope you stay tuned to the end."

Love it. Hoping he'll be our Manu-lite 6th man this year!
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,713

Post#175 » by minimus » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:10 pm

I hope he can learn how to can a better man. I am sure that he can improve as a player.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,800

Post#176 » by KGdaBom » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Now that all the dust has settled on the Beasley situation I am amazed at how well he and the Wolves came out of it more or less under the circumstances unscathed.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#177 » by moonpie » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:02 am

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#178 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:03 pm

I know the defensive questions still exist, but he's such a good fit for the offense and playing off of Towns, Edwards and Russell. Again, I bring up the traditional Finch horns set. With it you need guys in the corner who can knock down shots.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Post#179 » by Klomp » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:50 pm

There has been a lot of negativity surrounding Malik Beasley this season. And I get it. I think we all want him to be a JJ Redick type for us. I think what we've seen is him in roles that maybe aren't his best. Without Russell and/or Edwards, they tried to put him in their roles which isn't best for him. He really thrives in the corner.

Read on Twitter

Keep in mind the stat in the post above, as well. Last year, he was even better. If we can get him back to that role, I think we can see him start to take off.

I know he needs to be more consistent, but I think he does provide a gravity for the offense that the opponent has to account for.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#180 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:07 pm

I like the idea that Nowell’s emergence can help Beasley. Being able to run D Lo/Nowell/Beasley together could allow Beasley to simplify and just focus on being an elite catch and shooter player rather than trying to be a 6th man

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves