Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Re: Nets are probably going into tank mode, Irving out for the season 

Post#41 » by shangrila » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:37 pm

Dewey wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:
Calinks wrote:Maybe it will work in our favor. Maybe they will be up and down enough to fall but still get the 8th seed so we get the best pick possible.

If only this wasn't a bad draft....

Although some bad drafts surprise everyone.

Strength of draft is purely a speculation amongst sport media writers ... demand creation but with no credibility whatsoever. Outside the obvious 1-2 players here and there, these speculators are as far off on their predictions as you and I would be making up the same arguments. Team experts and sport media miss on great players all the time.

It's "weak" because there's no franchise prospects at the top. No Zion, Rose, Griffin, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any stars coming from this draft because that can always happen, regardless of the top mocked guys.

So it's not a conspiracy for clicks or anything, it's just that Edwards, Wiseman, Ball et al are deeply flawed.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#42 » by Dewey » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:59 pm

shangrila wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:If only this wasn't a bad draft....

Although some bad drafts surprise everyone.

Strength of draft is purely a speculation amongst sport media writers ... demand creation but with no credibility whatsoever. Outside the obvious 1-2 players here and there, these speculators are as far off on their predictions as you and I would be making up the same arguments. Team experts and sport media miss on great players all the time.

It's "weak" because there's no franchise prospects at the top. No Zion, Rose, Griffin, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any stars coming from this draft because that can always happen, regardless of the top mocked guys.

So it's not a conspiracy for clicks or anything, it's just that Edwards, Wiseman, Ball et al are deeply flawed.

Like I said ... outside those 1-2 players
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#43 » by KGdaBom » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:28 pm

There isn't a single player in this draft that I would be excited about getting. Much less 16 which is where the Nets pick would be. However, two swings is better than one. Maybe we can identify that diamond in the rough.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,014

Post#44 » by shrink » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:54 pm

I just checked, and since Kyrie went down, the Nets took the Sixers to overtime, and beat the Hornets by 30. They aren’t tanking.

They are in 7th place in the East at 26-29, and they have a 6.5 game lead over the Wizards with 27 games left to play. Root for the Magic to pass them (2.5 games behind).

If the season ended today, we would get the #16 pick.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#45 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:21 pm

KGdaBom wrote:There isn't a single player in this draft that I would be excited about getting. Much less 16 which is where the Nets pick would be. However, two swings is better than one. Maybe we can identify that diamond in the rough.

There are a few that I'm would be decently excited about. Lots of high end role player potential.

Deni/Okongwu with the Wolves 1st
Pokusevski/Patrick Williams with the Nets 1st
Scrubb/Tre with the Wolves 2nd
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 363

Post#46 » by gandlogo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:47 am

The Nets "magically" lost to the Wizards and Hawks this week. Ugh.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#47 » by Jedzz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:09 am

shrink wrote:I just checked, and since Kyrie went down, the Nets took the Sixers to overtime, and beat the Hornets by 30. They aren’t tanking.

They are in 7th place in the East at 26-29, and they have a 6.5 game lead over the Wizards with 27 games left to play. Root for the Magic to pass them (2.5 games behind).

If the season ended today, we would get the #16 pick.

Now 26-32, just lost to Atlanta 118-142. Atlanta is 5-7 in February. Nets 5-6 in February.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Post#48 » by Calinks » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:12 am

3 in a row. Not cool.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,584

Post#49 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:50 am

They're a sub-.500 team, they're going to lose games. The important thing is that the teams just outside the playoff picture keep losing games too. Still a 4.5-game cushion at this point with only about 24 games left.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#50 » by jpatrick » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:32 am

Nets are going to have to win some games. Maybe 7-8 out of those 24 remaining should be enough, right? I think they can do that.

I don’t think any team would tank away a playoff spot. But for them it might make sense. If they miss the playoffs, they get the #10 pick this year. They have to give up next years pick in a stronger draft, but with Kyrie and Durant back, that might be pick 26 or 27.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#51 » by KGdaBom » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:14 pm

Nets still up 5 on the wizards for final playoff spot. I'm pretty sure they won't blow that. Wolves will have pick 15 or 16 in addition to their own.

Sent from my SM-N970U using RealGM mobile app
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#52 » by Worm Guts » Sat Mar 7, 2020 2:45 pm

They fired Kenny Atkinson. I’m not sure what to make of that.
Peezo
Rookie
And1: 79

Post#53 » by Peezo » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:27 pm

It feels like this makes them a worse team for the remainder of the year. The question is whether it will be negligible, make them worse than ORL, or make them worse than WAS.
Turnover_21 wrote:So who do we get? Capspace? Is Capspace white?
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#54 » by jpatrick » Sat Mar 7, 2020 4:43 pm

I thought Atkinson was a pretty good coach. He got that collection of misfit toys to the playoffs last year. I wonder if it was a philosophical difference with the FO, they wanted him to lose games and he wanted to win?
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Post#55 » by Calinks » Sat Mar 7, 2020 5:38 pm

Seems like a really odd firing. Atkinson got a lot of praise the last few years and this season, they are in the playoffs despite missing their best two players. Why would you fire a coach in that position? Has to be something more to this than performance.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#56 » by minimus » Sat Mar 7, 2020 5:47 pm

jpatrick wrote:I thought Atkinson was a pretty good coach. He got that collection of misfit toys to the playoffs last year. I wonder if it was a philosophical difference with the FO, they wanted him to lose games and he wanted to win?

It was reported that some players do not want him. NBA is players league, that's why Ryan is more than "he got his job because of his lastname".

As for Nets FO, I honestly think that they made a few questionable decisions lately.

DeAndre type players should get around 5-6mil, there is no reason to bring him because they have Allen, who is about to sign his contact extension. 40/4yrs is not anywhere close to good contract.

Prince extension, Temple contracts do not makes sense.

They signed LeVert and Dinwiddie to bargain contracts though.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,700

Post#57 » by whatisacenter » Sat Mar 7, 2020 6:21 pm

Would you Wolves fans want to pick up Kenny? DLo's game improved under him while he was his coach and I know some of you aren't so high on Saunders.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#58 » by minimus » Sat Mar 7, 2020 6:40 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Would you Wolves fans want to pick up Kenny? DLo's game improved under him while he was his coach and I know some of you aren't so high on Saunders.

He is an excellent fit here, however I think he will get good offers from NYK, CHI, CLE, SAC.

Make Ryan development coach and bring here Kenny
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,695

Post#59 » by Domejandro » Sat Mar 7, 2020 6:43 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Would you Wolves fans want to pick up Kenny? DLo's game improved under him while he was his coach and I know some of you aren't so high on Saunders.

I think Saunders is a good coach, so I wouldn't be thrilled to dump him, but if push came to shove, I could absolutely live with Kenny Atkinson. He is a very solid coach.
CP1981
Veteran
And1: 624

Post#60 » by CP1981 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 6:55 pm

I loved Atkinson in Atlanta. Teague credited him for making him an All Star the year we won 60. He's a very good developmental coach too. He comes from Bud's tree. I thought he was a good fit for you guys before. Guys play hard for him

I doubt Ryan goes anywhere but I think Atkinson is a definite upgrade

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves