ImageImageImage

The D'Angelo Russell Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,617

Re: The D'Angelo Russell Thread 

Post#601 » by winforlose » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:45 am

Mark your calendar’s, November 23rd 2022 is a Dlo ceiling game. His passing was on point, his defense was as good as you can expect from a bad defender. His shooting was off from distance, but still efficient. We were better for having him on the floor, and not by a small margin. That is what is so infuriating about Dlo. He doesn’t show this skill level consistently, or even often. This is the kind of game that got him paid before. But teams know better now. Unless he drops 45+ of these games this year he really shouldn’t be close 25 million, much less 30.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#602 » by minimus » Thu Dec 1, 2022 10:52 pm

Can someone clarify whether we could technically trade Russell for Gobert. I heard it was not possible due to CBA rules saying that UTA could not have Mitchell and Russell contracts at the same time. Am I mistaken?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,111

Post#603 » by Colbinii » Thu Dec 1, 2022 11:01 pm

minimus wrote:Can someone clarify whether we could technically trade Russell for Gobert. I heard it was not possible due to CBA rules saying that UTA could not have Mitchell and Russell contracts at the same time. Am I mistaken?

No, that isn't the rule.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#604 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 2, 2022 12:13 am

minimus wrote:Can someone clarify whether we could technically trade Russell for Gobert. I heard it was not possible due to CBA rules saying that UTA could not have Mitchell and Russell contracts at the same time. Am I mistaken?

You may have heard that, but I'm guessing it was from someone who does not properly understand what the rule is.

The rule is concerning the "designated rookie" contracts, and how many are homegrown versus acquired via trade. That's why Mitchell's landing spots were limited. Russell is not one, so it wouldn't have affected him.

There is a limit to the number of designated players a team can have on its roster at a time. A team can have up to two designated rookies (who received a longer rookie scale extension) and up to two designated veterans (who received higher than the 30% maximum salary) at any time.2 However, only one designated rookie may have been acquired from another team in a trade.]

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q24

Who would it apply to then?

As of now there are 14 designated rookies, including Trae Young, Jayson Tatum, Ben Simmons, Luka Doncic, Jamal Murray, Michael Porter Jr., Andrew Wiggins, Bam Adebayo, Karl–Anthony Towns, Shai Gilgeous–Alexander, Joel Embiid, Devin Booker, De’Aaron Fox, and Donovan Mitchell.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hoopshype-explains-designated-rookie-rule-214215678.html
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

The D'Angelo Russell Thread 

Post#605 » by minimus » Fri Dec 2, 2022 3:06 pm

A few cases how to replace DLo. Who might be such players? I assume we have only MLE exception to operate and a couple of second round picks to facilitate sign and trade.

First, Jevon Carter case: defensive minded limited in offense low profile PG. Jevon Carter started in 20 games for MIL, who were one of the best teams in NBA.

Second, FVV case: undersized comboguard two way player who played with true PG Lowry at the beginning of career, but now fully converted to PG.

Third, Tyus Jones case: solid in defensem but limited in offense low profile true PG. Last season Jones started 23 games for MEM, when Morant got injured
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#606 » by urinesane » Fri Dec 2, 2022 3:54 pm

minimus wrote:A few cases how to replace DLo. Who might be such players?
First, Jevon Carter case: defensive minded limited in offense low profile PG. Jevon Carter started in 20 games for MIL, who were one of the best teams in NBA. Is it possible?

Second, FVV case: undersized comboguard two way player who played with true PG Lowry at the beginning of career, but now fully converted to PG.

Third, Tyus Jones case: solid in defensem but limited in offense low profile true PG. Last season Jones started 23 games for MEM, when Morant got injured

Tyus would be a great fit. We have enough offensive fire power to not need an offensive minded PG.

Tyus can hit open shots, makes good decisions, and doesn't turn the ball over. That's what the wolves need at PG with this roster (also someone with an edge).
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#607 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 4:14 pm

Lonzo Ball and Alex Caruso would be pretty nice fits here, if the Bulls decided to blow it up and wanted expirings.
minimus
RealGM

Post#608 » by minimus » Fri Dec 2, 2022 5:53 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:Lonzo Ball and Alex Caruso would be pretty nice fits here, if the Bulls decided to blow it up and wanted expirings.

Caruso is a close to perfect fit! He is also MLE type of player. Who can be next Caruso?
minimus
RealGM

Post#609 » by minimus » Fri Dec 2, 2022 5:54 pm

urinesane wrote:
First, Jevon Carter case: defensive minded limited in offense low profile PG. Jevon Carter started in 20 games for MIL, who were one of the best teams in NBA. Is it possible?

Tyus would be a great fit. We have enough offensive fire power to not need an offensive minded PG.

Tyus can hit open shots, makes good decisions, and doesn't turn the ball over. That's what the wolves need at PG with this roster (also someone with an edge).

I wonder if Monte Morris or Tre Jones can be available
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,438

Post#610 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Dec 2, 2022 6:06 pm

minimus wrote:
urinesane wrote:

I wonder if Monte Morris or Tre Jones can be available

I could see Tre being available if the Spurs are unwilling to commit money to him next year.

But I'm not sure what value we could trade for him. We don't have picks, so they'd probably ask for some of the young cost controlled guys like Garza, Minott or WMJ.

And the Spurs don't really have any bad contracts to get out from under. I guess they could take D'Lo to get out of McDermott's 14M next year...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#611 » by Klomp » Sat Dec 3, 2022 7:22 pm

minimus wrote:I wonder if Monte Morris or Tre Jones can be available

I've been eyeing Morris for a while.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

minimus
RealGM

Post#612 » by minimus » Fri Dec 9, 2022 11:16 am

Read on Twitter
?

My absolute pipe dream scenario for PG position would be:

1) DLo keeps this level of defensive intensity AND shooting efficiency: 18 ppg, 8 apg, 51% FG, 36% from 3pt. He agrees to sign 100 mil/4yrs.
2) Moore develops into rotation player, 3&D, second ballhandler
3) PJ Dozier is fully recovered from injury, signs Gupta contract 10mil/4yrs with us
4) we get AJ Lawson back, he shoots 38% from 3pt line, he signs Gupta contract 6mil/4yrs with us

Gobert/Towns/Garza
Towns/Anderson/Minott
MCD/Prince/Moore
Edwards/Moore/Lawson
DLo/JMac/Dozier

P.S. I am not sure if we are able to keep Nowell and Reid
minimus
RealGM

Post#613 » by minimus » Tue Jan 3, 2023 7:06 pm

I have a question:

What's difference between CJ McCollum and DLo? Both are undersized comboguard, without great athletic skills, both are excellent midrange shooters. Why NOP are better with CJ? They are better team? Better chemistry, better fit? Who plays PG for NOP? Better coaching in NOP?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#614 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 3, 2023 7:13 pm

minimus wrote:I have a question:

What's difference between CJ McCollum and DLo? Both are undersized comboguard, without great athletic skills, both are excellent midrange shooters. Why NOP are better with CJ? They are better team? Better chemistry, better fit? Who plays PG for NOP? Better coaching in NOP?

I *think* Zion is essentially their PG. As good as Ant is becoming, Zion takes a different level of gravity with him and away from his teammates. McCollum also has far more of the right kind of experience, making playoff trips with Portland. That matters. Russell really doesn't know how to win.

life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,001

Post#615 » by life_saver » Tue Jan 3, 2023 7:22 pm

I haven't followed Pels closely but I have actually seen some Pels fans complaining about CJ and wanting to moveon from him. Basically they seem to be winning despite CJ not contributing heavily. CJ's shooting efficiency has been below par this season
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,438

Post#616 » by BlacJacMac » Tue Jan 3, 2023 7:24 pm

Both guys main value comes from scoring, and CJ is a much, much better shooter than D'Lo.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,079

Post#617 » by shangrila » Tue Jan 3, 2023 8:55 pm

Russell sucks and CJ doesn't
minimus
RealGM

Post#618 » by minimus » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:56 am

Read on Twitter

If only DLo can accept 6th man role
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#619 » by Klomp » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:47 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

If only DLo can accept 6th man role

I think one could almost argue that he's been our Beasley replacement this year. Not the same 3-point volume, but in terms of bringing the offense in spurts.

Interestingly, it's been a career year from inside the arc. You could argue THAT'S been the Rudy effect on his game.

wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,034

Post#620 » by wolves_89 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:55 pm

With the trade deadline approaching and there being few DLO trade rumors that would actually make the team better, I have come back around to hoping that DLO gets extended. At this point, if he would agree to a Wiggins level deal I'd be happy.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves