ImageImageImage

The D'Angelo Russell Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Re: The D'Angelo Russell Thread 

Post#521 » by shrink » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:16 am

Klomp wrote:Connelly decides to ship off Russell to make room for Nowell in the starting lineup. However, instead of worrying about preserving a massive salary slot, he breaks it up into two or three smaller chunks, getting a young prospect and/or late 1st in the deal. This recoups the more tradeable salary slots lost in the Gobert trade, and also doesn't overload the books for when Edwards and McDaniels are due extensions. Essentially, our young guys are the ones preserving the large salary slot once extended.

I know it’s preseason, but I don’t see the extra guys we’d want to cut to legally make a 1-for-3 trade. Maybe It will be more obvious later, but right now, I doubt what we’d get back better players than we have now for a $31 mil DLo that a team would need to pay this summer.
shrink
RealGM

Post#522 » by shrink » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:23 am

Here’s a scenario for you. The Suns don’t start the season well, and the locker room is crabby, with the drama over Crowder, Sarver, Ayton frustrated with his contract, and Chris Paul personna non grata with the brass, asking for more severe punishments for his boss. Since Paul did them a solid by taking that team-friendly extension, they ask where he’d like to be traded, and he mentions the Wolves, who are #2 in the West at the deadline. Devin Booker is on board - he’d rather play with his buddy DLo anyway, especially if Paul thinks he’d have a better chance at a ring elsewhere. Paul gets traded here, and his vast experience tossing lobs is unstoppable with Rudy.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,397

Post#523 » by winforlose » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:28 am

shrink wrote:Here’s a scenario for you. The Suns don’t start the season well, and the locker room is crabby, with Ayton frustrated with his contract, Chris Paul personna non grata asking for more severe punishments for his boss. Since Paul did them a solid by taking that team-friendly extension, they ask if where he’d like to be traded, and he mentions the Wolves, who are #2 in the West at the deadline. Devin Booker is on board - he’d rather play with his buddy DLo anyway. Paul gets traded here, and his vast experience tossing lobs is unstoppable with Rudy.

CP3 is one of the few guys we simply MUST not trade for. CP3 is 37 turning 38 in May. CP3 could retire or get injured before the end of his deal (which takes him into his 40s.) His salary slot will be lost after his contract ends. The Wolves badly need to keep the salary slot alive and at least at the mid to high 20s. CP3 is just a dead end.
shrink
RealGM

Post#524 » by shrink » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:52 am

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:Here’s a scenario for you. The Suns don’t start the season well, and the locker room is crabby, with Ayton frustrated with his contract, Chris Paul personna non grata asking for more severe punishments for his boss. Since Paul did them a solid by taking that team-friendly extension, they ask if where he’d like to be traded, and he mentions the Wolves, who are #2 in the West at the deadline. Devin Booker is on board - he’d rather play with his buddy DLo anyway. Paul gets traded here, and his vast experience tossing lobs is unstoppable with Rudy.

CP3 is one of the few guys we simply MUST not trade for. CP3 is 37 turning 38 in May. CP3 could retire or get injured before the end of his deal (which takes him into his 40s.) His salary slot will be lost after his contract ends. The Wolves badly need to keep the salary slot alive and at least at the mid to high 20s. CP3 is just a dead end.

I used to say that too. When he was 33.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#525 » by winforlose » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:54 am

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Fair. But the salary slot issue is very real, and I doubt we can move CP3 again for real value next year.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#526 » by KGdaBom » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:06 am

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I thought Paul was done 5 years ago or maybe more with his bone on bone knees, but he just keeps proving me wrong year after year. That said no way I want us to trade for him.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,962

Post#527 » by Domejandro » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:54 am

Chris Paul is a topic I remember being pretty intense about. I’ve been wrong plenty of times (probably LaMelo over Edwards), but that was a baller take by me, the advanced stats didn’t lie. I really wanted to trade for him (though in the end, it worked out with Minnesota getting Anthony Edwards).

Regardless, I would comfortably trade D’Angelo Russell for Chris Paul, even with Chris Paul’s decline behind-the-arc (though that seemed to normalize in the Playoffs). Paul is substantially more efficient at every single facet of the game; he is WAY more efficient inside the three-point line. Despite not being a strong one-on-one defender anymore m (Luka cooked him), Chris Paul is infinitely better defensively than D’Angelo Russell.

Last Playoffs, Chris Paul had numerous superstar performances, despite battling injuries. 30 points (12/16), 28 points twice, (10/18 and 1/16), and 33 points (14/14 from the field!!!!! No missed free-throws). Six games of double-digit assists. He has played 142 Playoff games in his career; Chris Paul would be the perfect veteran to push Minnesota over the top (like he did with Phoenix, except Minnesota would have a chance of being better, on-paper).

For the contract concerns, only $15MM of his $30.8MM is guaranteed next season. The season after that, his $30MM is fully unguaranteed. That isn’t a concern at all, his contract actually increases flexibility. Plus, it gives Minnesota more flexibility under the Luxury-Tax, this season (Jarred Vanderbilt TPE).

Unfortunately, there is honestly no reasonable circumstance where Phoenix would trade Chris Paul for D’Angelo Russell, if they are at all in Playoff contention, in my opinion. Minnesota doesn’t have a strong pathway to incentivizing it, unless Phoenix is desperate to reload their timeline. I understand and appreciate the hypothetical, but I just don’t realistically see it.

Chris Paul / Jordan McLaughlin / Austin Rivers
Anthony Edwards / Jaylen Nowell / Bryn Forbes
Jaden McDaniels / Taurean Prince / Wendell Moore Jr.
Karl-Anthony Towns / Kyle Anderson / Josh Minott
Rudy Gobert / Naz Reid / Nathan Knight

2WP: Eric Paschall and A.J. Lawson

Absolute no-brainer, if the goal is to win a Championship. Again, though, I just wouldn’t expect it.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#528 » by winforlose » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:16 am

Domejandro wrote:Chris Paul is a topic I remember being pretty intense about. I’ve been wrong plenty of times (probably LaMelo over Edwards), but that was a baller take by me, the advanced stats didn’t lie. I really wanted to trade for him (though in the end, it worked out with Minnesota getting Anthony Edwards).

Regardless, I would comfortably trade D’Angelo Russell for Chris Paul, even with Chris Paul’s decline behind-the-arc (though that seemed to normalize in the Playoffs). Paul is substantially more efficient at every single facet of the game; he is WAY more efficient inside the three-point line. Despite not being a strong one-on-one defender anymore m (Luka cooked him), Chris Paul is infinitely better defensively than D’Angelo Russell.

Last Playoffs, Chris Paul had numerous superstar performances, despite battling injuries. 30 points (12/16), 28 points twice, (10/18 and 1/16), and 33 points (14/14 from the field!!!!! No missed free-throws). Six games of double-digit assists. He has played 142 Playoff games in his career; Chris Paul would be the perfect veteran to push Minnesota over the top (like he did with Phoenix, except Minnesota would have a chance of being better, on-paper).

For the contract concerns, only $15MM of his $30.8MM is guaranteed next season. The season after that, his $30MM is fully unguaranteed. That isn’t a concern at all, his contract actually increases flexibility. Plus, it gives Minnesota more flexibility under the Luxury-Tax, this season (Jarred Vanderbilt TPE).

Unfortunately, there is honestly no reasonable circumstance where Phoenix would trade Chris Paul for D’Angelo Russell, if they are at all in Playoff contention, in my opinion. Minnesota doesn’t have a strong pathway to incentivizing it, unless Phoenix is desperate to reload their timeline. I understand and appreciate the hypothetical, but I just don’t realistically see it.

Chris Paul / Jordan McLaughlin / Austin Rivers
Anthony Edwards / Jaylen Nowell / Bryn Forbes
Jaden McDaniels / Taurean Prince / Wendell Moore Jr.
Karl-Anthony Towns / Kyle Anderson / Josh Minott
Rudy Gobert / Naz Reid / Nathan Knight

2WP: Eric Paschall and A.J. Lawson

Absolute no-brainer, if the goal is to win a Championship. Again, though, I just wouldn’t expect it.

For the sake of argument let’s concede all your points. CP3 is better for winning a title, better for staying under the tax, and he doesn’t have a higher risk of injury or decline than Dlo over the next 2 to 3 years. My question for you is then what? We cannot/would not resign a 40 year old CP3 to a big money deal. Presumably he will retire. We have 3 good years, (22/23, 23/24, 24/25.) In those 3 years we got one late first and a couple middle of the pack second round players. Ant is now in his prime, Rudy beginning to show his age, KAT is 30. How do we replace CP3? Remember, we don’t own our pick in 27 and maybe not in 29. If we suck in 25/26 then our pick could potentially be swapped with Utah. We have a giant hole in our roster, and with Ant on a rookie max, KAT and Rudy on big money maxes, and MCD presumably on a mid size deal, how do we replace the lost salary that just expired/retired?
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,962

Post#529 » by Domejandro » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:02 am

winforlose wrote:For the sake of argument let’s concede all your points. CP3 is better for winning a title, better for staying under the tax, and he doesn’t have a higher risk of injury or decline than Dlo over the next 2 to 3 years. My question for you is then what? We cannot/would not resign a 40 year old CP3 to a big money deal. Presumably he will retire. We have 3 good years, (22/23, 23/24, 24/25.) In those 3 years we got one late first and a couple middle of the pack second round players. Ant is now in his prime, Rudy beginning to show his age, KAT is 30. How do we replace CP3? Remember, we don’t own our pick in 27 and maybe not in 29. If we suck in 25/26 then our pick could potentially be swapped with Utah. We have a giant hole in our roster, and with Ant on a rookie max, KAT and Rudy on big money maxes, and MCD presumably on a mid size deal, how do we replace the lost salary that just expired/retired?

Firstly, the next three years are absolutely the biggest priority. Minnesota traded almost everything for Rudy Gobert, maximizing his prime years is immensely important. Respectfully, being concerned about what happens over three seasons from now when Chris Paul would massively increase Minnesota’s Championship chances doesn’t make sense to me at all.

But beyond that, what happens if D’Angelo Russell and Minnesota can’t come to terms on a good deal? How much do you overpay Russell to lock him in for? What if he underperforms again in the Playoffs and/or he leaves in Free-Agency? Worse yet, what if Minnesota overpays him and perpetually under-performs, wasting their window to win a Championship while condemning themselves to an unsustainable Repeater-Tax that hamstrings the team?

Three years in the NBA is an eternity and Minnesota is a Championship aspiring team right now. D’Angelo is a lower/middle-of-the-pack starting Point-Guard, you don’t lower your ceiling with the hope of (maybe?) resigning Russell to have him for a year or two longer than you already would have Chris Paul locked into a deal.

Every team outside of the biggest Repeater Tax teams have to juggle the pretty rough reality of not being able to retain everyone long-term; if anything, I would argue that Chris Paul’s deal offers Minnesota a solid amount of flexibility. Maybe they don’t pick up the final year and give him a 40/2 deal (I see this as realistic), or they pick up his option and move him plus assets for another option. Perhaps they develop a future replacement, or find someone with the Tax-MLE who can replace a decent enough portion of production for a tiny fraction of the cost.

There are a myriad of pathways to address those concerns, despite it being difficult to resign everyone anyways. The gap between Chris Paul and D’Angelo Russell is massive, you don’t throw that away for a questionable maybe over three seasons from now, in my opinion.
shrink
RealGM

Post#530 » by shrink » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:32 pm

winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Fair. But the salary slot issue is very real, and I doubt we can move CP3 again for real value next year.

Well, in Klomp’s scenario, we don’t want to pay DLo the extension he wants, so he becomes a UFA this summer and we truly lose the salary slot. We’re not trading DLo for “real value” when he wants to get paid this summer anyway.

Paul’s deal maintains the slot, and if he wants to play next year (I assume we wouldn’t trade for him if he didn’t), his $30.8 mil only has $15.8 guaranteed. Even better, the following year (age 39) his $30 mil is completely non-guaranteed! It is extremely team-friendly, protecting against injury, decline or retirement.

I don’t know how I feel about it. I agree that the clock has to run out on Paul at some point, and I’m tired of being wrong about the guy. However, I can’t deny how he was he key factor in turning the Suns instantly into a contender, and our team now has a lot more talent than they ever had. I don’t think it’s a completely unlikely scenario either.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#531 » by winforlose » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:00 pm

shrink wrote:
winforlose wrote:
shrink wrote:I used to say that too. When he was 33.

Well, in Klomp’s scenario, we don’t want to pay DLo the extension he wants, so he becomes a UFA this summer and we truly lose the salary slot. We’re not trading DLo for “real value” when he wants to get paid this summer anyway.

Paul’s deal maintains the slot, and if he wants to play next year (I assume we wouldn’t trade for him if he didn’t), his $30.8 mil only has $15.8 guaranteed. Even better, the following year (age 39) his $30 mil is completely non-guaranteed! It is extremely team-friendly, protecting against injury, decline or retirement.

I don’t know how I feel about it. I agree that the clock has to run out on Paul at some point, and I’m tired of being wrong about the guy. However, I can’t deny how he was he key factor in turning the Suns instantly into a contender, and our team now has a lot more talent than they ever had. I don’t think it’s a completely unlikely scenario either.

We must not let Dlo walk for nothing. I have been saying this ever since the Rudy trade. The trade gave Dlo a ton of leverage and almost forced an overpay. That said, Dlo is limited by what other teams are willing to pay to poach him. Also Dlo is dealing with the uncertainty that comes from playing without a contract behind him. A torn ACL could cost him 20-30 mil easy. A torn Achilles could cost him double that and more. Dlo does have incentive to compromise.

Will Dlo suck? Is he just incapable of being a good fourth best player on a winning team? Is Dlo doomed to never be a 10 assist PG when he has been throwing 6 to 7 the past year? All of this is possible. But a 15-20 PPG Dlo with 10+ APG is probably worth 30 to us. Am I wrong?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#532 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:56 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:Connelly decides to ship off Russell to make room for Nowell in the starting lineup. However, instead of worrying about preserving a massive salary slot, he breaks it up into two or three smaller chunks, getting a young prospect and/or late 1st in the deal. This recoups the more tradeable salary slots lost in the Gobert trade, and also doesn't overload the books for when Edwards and McDaniels are due extensions. Essentially, our young guys are the ones preserving the large salary slot once extended.

I know it’s preseason, but I don’t see the extra guys we’d want to cut to legally make a 1-for-3 trade. Maybe It will be more obvious later, but right now, I doubt what we’d get back better players than we have now for a $31 mil DLo that a team would need to pay this summer.

That's a fair counterpoint.

One of the thoughts I had in my head initially was Russell and Reid for Love and Rubio, perhaps flipping Love to a third team.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#533 » by wolves_89 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:47 pm

One thing I want to see in the last couple pre-season games is for DLO to get on track. So far, he hasn't had a game where you come away thinking that he's ready to be a major factor this season (I think Nowell has outplayed him to this point). Hopefully playing at with the full starting lineup will help get him going a bit.
shrink
RealGM

Post#534 » by shrink » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:48 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:

One of the thoughts I had in my head initially was Russell and Reid for Love and Rubio, perhaps flipping Love to a third team.

Hmmm ..!

I will always love Rubio, and more importantly, Ant and KAT like him too. And if we aren’t pigeon-holing bigs as centers and non-centers Love isn’t the worst fit here, playing 5-out with KAT offensively, or spreading the floor for Gobert.

Even when these guys were kind of classified as the stars of this team, I always thought of both of them as elite level role players. Elite level role players are what we need around Ant, KAT and Rudy. If Rubio scores 8 points in a game, he can still be a a massive contributor to winning. Love shooting three’s and rebounding is kind of the same way. Kind of why I like Tyus Jones too. Anyway, if they could stay healthy for the playoffs, that’d be intriguing to me!
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#535 » by m2002brian » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:23 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:I know it’s preseason, but I don’t see the extra guys we’d want to cut to legally make a 1-for-3 trade. Maybe It will be more obvious later, but right now, I doubt what we’d get back better players than we have now for a $31 mil DLo that a team would need to pay this summer.

Hmmm ..!

I will always love Rubio, and more importantly, Ant and KAT like him too. And if we aren’t pigeon-holing bigs as centers and non-centers Love isn’t the worst fit here, playing 5-out with KAT offensively, or spreading the floor for Gobert.

Even when these guys were kind of classified as the stars of this team, I always thought of both of them as elite level role players. Elite level role players are what we need around Ant, KAT and Rudy. If Rubio scores 8 points in a game, he can still be a a massive contributor to winning. Love shooting three’s and rebounding is kind of the same way. Kind of why I like Tyus Jones too. Anyway, if they could stay healthy for the playoffs, that’d be intriguing to me!

I like this too.
Rubios lob game is leaps and bounds better than DLo. Plus he’s played with Gobert, KAT, McD, and Ant.
BLUEGREENRED
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#536 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:09 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:I know it’s preseason, but I don’t see the extra guys we’d want to cut to legally make a 1-for-3 trade. Maybe It will be more obvious later, but right now, I doubt what we’d get back better players than we have now for a $31 mil DLo that a team would need to pay this summer.

Hmmm ..!

This is probably a situation where we need a third or fourth team, the more I think about it. Reid would get lost in the CLE big man depth and Russell doesn't fill any needs for a team with Garland and Mitchell at guard. But if we want to expand Nowell's guard role I think we still need another PG in the Rubio/Jones/McConnell range of ability.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#537 » by winforlose » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:41 am

Thought experiment. Pretend the following are Dlo’s numbers. Assume there is some inflation due to this being a contract year, but also some natural elevation from playing with the upgraded roster.

Dlo averages: 15PPG, 4 RPG, 10APG, 44% FG, 36% 3P%, 80% FT%, 3.5 TO, 1 STL, and .3 BLK. He plays 60 games and all playoff games. 5 missed games are planned rest while healthy, and 3 are Covid mandated misses.

What do you pay and for how many years?
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#538 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:31 pm

winforlose wrote:Thought experiment. Pretend the following are Dlo’s numbers. Assume there is some inflation due to this being a contract year, but also some natural elevation from playing with the upgraded roster.

Dlo averages: 15PPG, 4 RPG, 10APG, 44% FG, 36% 3P%, 80% FT%, 3.5 TO, 1 STL, and .3 BLK. He plays 60 games and all playoff games. 5 missed games are planned rest while healthy, and 3 are Covid mandated misses.

How many championships in a row have we won?
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#539 » by Biff Cooper » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:44 pm

Technically, we will be less than $120M next season with a $134M cap and DLo, Nowell, Reid, Forbes, Rivers, Garza, and Paschall unsigned. If we are worried about not losing the DLo salary spot, we theoretically could use out Bird exceptions to re-sign Nowell and Reid to large contracts, let DLo walk, and not lose the spot.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#540 » by winforlose » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:20 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:
winforlose wrote:Thought experiment. Pretend the following are Dlo’s numbers. Assume there is some inflation due to this being a contract year, but also some natural elevation from playing with the upgraded roster.

How many championships in a row have we won?

At most one as it is this season. I gave you the stats you know he will have this year for this conversation. If you are saying his playoff performance and our playoff outcome affects the number that is valid. But, that also means he didn’t get extended during the season, and might be playing timid (trying to avoid injury,) during the playoffs.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves