The Crabbe has gone back out to sea

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

The Crabbe has gone back out to sea 

Post#1 » by Calinks » Sun Mar 1, 2020 12:36 am

I believed in the Crabbe but the Crabbe did not believe in me.

Read on Twitter
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,398

Re: The Crabbe has gone back out to sea 

Post#2 » by winforlose » Sun Mar 1, 2020 12:38 am

Calinks wrote:I believed in the Crabbe but the Crabbe did not believe in me.

Read on Twitter

Jmac getting converted (my guess.) Excellent news as we are now much less likely to resign him, even to a minimum.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,920

Post#3 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 1, 2020 1:00 am

It'll be interesting to see how much he gives back.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#4 » by shangrila » Sun Mar 1, 2020 1:03 am

It was a worthwhile gamble, especially at the time, but he just couldn't get his 3pt shot to fall and that's really all he has.
Grubie024
Junior
And1: 411

Post#5 » by Grubie024 » Sun Mar 1, 2020 1:48 am

Will this keep us out of luxury tax? Not sure how that works.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,605

Post#6 » by shrink » Sun Mar 1, 2020 2:43 am

shangrila wrote:It was a worthwhile gamble, especially at the time, but he just couldn't get his 3pt shot to fall and that's really all he has.

This is exactly right.

One important responsibility for Gersson Rosas this year was to evaluate his many new players, and determine which could be longterm parts of our system, and how much we should pay them. With one of the worst three point shooting in the league, defenses didn’t pus all the way out to our shooters. Even in a bad year, Crabbe would draw coverage outside, and help force opposing defenses to play something closer to what the team can expect in the future. Three point shooting isn’t as big a problem after the acquisitions at the deadline, so buying out Crabbe will still allow the player evaluation Rosas needs.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 1, 2020 3:36 am

Grubie024 wrote:Will this keep us out of luxury tax? Not sure how that works.

Depends on how much Crabbe gives up in the buyout.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#8 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sun Mar 1, 2020 5:41 am

The Crab didn't do anything for me. I'm guessing he give back 8 mil.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#9 » by Dewey » Sun Mar 1, 2020 3:39 pm

He had a nice quick release and was familiar with the offense, but he wasn’t hitting the 3 and his defense was terrible. I would assume it was a discounted buyout...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#10 » by Jedzz » Sun Mar 1, 2020 10:22 pm

I'm about to follow Crabbe. Did anyone pick him up yet?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#11 » by minimus » Mon Mar 2, 2020 6:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 2, 2020 10:00 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't know where they were in regards to the luxury tax, but regarding the ability to sign McLaughlin and/or Martin, $750k is fairly significant. By my math, signing both to pro-rated rest-of-season deals would cost under $600k combined (and it goes down every day).

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#13 » by Dewey » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:14 am

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't know where they were in regards to the luxury tax, but regarding the ability to sign McLaughlin and/or Martin, $750k is fairly significant. By my math, signing both to pro-rated rest-of-season deals would cost under $600k combined (and it goes down every day).

Clearly I do not understand buyouts ... at least crabbe must wanna play whereas turner just opted to collect easy money
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#14 » by shangrila » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:26 am

Dewey wrote:
Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Clearly I do not understand buyouts ... at least crabbe must wanna play whereas turner just opted to collect easy money

Crabbe's been out for personal reasons the last few games IIRC. Might be something going on with him, especially combined with his overall down year.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#15 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:39 am

shangrila wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Klomp wrote:I don't know where they were in regards to the luxury tax, but regarding the ability to sign McLaughlin and/or Martin, $750k is fairly significant. By my math, signing both to pro-rated rest-of-season deals would cost under $600k combined (and it goes down every day).

Crabbe's been out for personal reasons the last few games IIRC. Might be something going on with him, especially combined with his overall down year.

Maybe it was the All this negativity in this town sucks syndrome. Calinks positivity wasn't enough to save him.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Post#16 » by Calinks » Tue Mar 3, 2020 2:01 am

Crabbe's are not native to Minnesota.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#17 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 3, 2020 2:25 am

native crawdads sometimes
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,398

Post#18 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 3, 2020 9:38 am

Dewey wrote:
Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

There are some factors to consider. Let me preface this by saying I have no specific knowledge whatsoever about his situation. But in general. 1, giving back 750,000 isn’t actually losing 750k when you consider taxes, percentage to his agent, rent in a city he doesn’t live in, etc... 2, We don’t know his personal situation. A sick family member or problem with one of his relationships (family, friends, etc...,) may require him to spend more time in a different city. 3, It could be that he believes a better opportunity is out there. For instances, say he wants to play in Memphis (first city that popped into my head,) he might believe he has a leg up on getting signed there next season if he works out there and tries to get a minimum there this season.

Whatever the actual reason, it works out well for us. Saves us some money, creates a roster spot, and hopefully increases the minutes of some developing players.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves