ImageImageImage

MIN situation and photo

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: MIN situation and photo 

Post#21 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:00 am

I can agree that the original roster could have been more if they didn't have plans to purposely train wreck it, and if Layman's injury and then Wiggins' outage happen. Injuries and then Starting Culver and pitching the season to play him 26-30+ minutes wherever killed it, mostly Culver. The team was looking pretty good with Culver at 14-16 minutes developing. Even with Graham missing everything the starting group was good enough to be much better than what we saw playout through December/January. But I would have moved Roco to wing/3 and started Dieng with Towns. I would have liked to see a mostly young bench rotation of Napier(Jmac)/Nowell/Okogie(Culver)/KBD(Bell)/Vonleh. Just kept all those guys away from the starters and let them grow together sharing bench minutes all.

Not to make light of the analogy, kind of liked it Min! But when I read the title sleepy eyed this morning I thought it said
MIN Situation and Potato.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#22 » by minimus » Tue Mar 3, 2020 7:05 am

winforlose wrote:As for alternative coachs, I actually wanted Vanterpool, but I would take anyone with real HC experience over Ryan. The fan base turned on him not simply because we are losing but because they see the same things I see. His end of game management is abysmal. His use of challenge is abysmal. He doesn’t make half time adjustments. Name a category and he is out coached. The worst part is he only got the job because if his last name.

1) You mentioned that you want Vanterpool as HC, but do you realize that our defensive scheme is his vision and implementation?

2) There is a HC available right now. He has a lot of HC experience and most importantly we already pay him. However he might get now NYK HC job and it will be funny as hell. The worst owner in NBA, the worst management and the worst HC.

3) Ryan is outcoached in every category? Please. Name another coaches who developed and integrated in rotation more gleague/undrafted players this season. Spoelstra? Yeah, good company. Name another coaches who get the best out of Wiggins. Kerr? Yes, Ryan and Kerr might be two coaches who can get the most out of Wiggins. You also forget to how impressive KAT played before suspension and injuries. Also in Timberwolves Reddit and posts with a message "Ryan sucks" are downvoted so quickly, because most fans understand situation. You can check it.

P.S. We have gone away from my original post which is sad and I won't respond you because it seems we can conclude here.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,297

Post#23 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 3, 2020 7:27 am

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:As for alternative coachs, I actually wanted Vanterpool, but I would take anyone with real HC experience over Ryan. The fan base turned on him not simply because we are losing but because they see the same things I see. His end of game management is abysmal. His use of challenge is abysmal. He doesn’t make half time adjustments. Name a category and he is out coached. The worst part is he only got the job because if his last name.

1) You mentioned that you want Vanterpool as HC, but do you realize that our defensive scheme is his vision and implementation?

2) There is a HC available right now. He has a lot of HC experience and most importantly we already pay him. However he might get now NYK HC job and it will be funny as hell. The worst owner in NBA, the worst management and the worst HC.

3) Ryan is outcoached in every category? Please. Name another coaches who developed and integrated in rotation more gleague/undrafted players this season. Spoelstra? Yeah, good company. Name another coaches who get the best out of Wiggins. Kerr? Yes, Ryan and Kerr might be two coaches who can get the most out of Wiggins. You also forget to how impressive KAT played before suspension and injuries. Also in Timberwolves Reddit and posts with a message "Ryan sucks" are downvoted so quickly, because most fans understand situation. You can check it.

P.S. We have gone away from my original post which is sad and I won't respond you because it seems we can conclude here.

Fair enough. I apologize if I got us sidetracked. I reexamined your original post and I would like to comment more on that.

1. Teague was able to be moved because he is on the last year of his deal. His return was lower than it could have been. It was a money saving move. I don’t blame Rosas I blame Taylor. We could have cut Graham and sought a second round pick for Teague. Instead we got Crabbe and ended up buying him out. Dieng improved radically this season. He showed the potential he always had if we had not brought in Taj and sent him to the bench. He is still overpaid, but his value is clear and that made moving him possible. I still wish we kept him and played him with KAT, but since we are committed to small ball, I give Rosas a ton of credit for finding a hidden gem in JJ. He is playing much better than I anticipated. Regarding the Dlo trade, this was a masterpiece. Remind me not to play poker with Rosas. I give him all the credit in the world.

2. Your right that we have a lot of young talent that needs developing. The only thing we disagree on is who should develop it. Likewise, I think finding and resigning Beasley, and JH are good signs from Rosas. We disagree on Culver and that’s fine. I think Culver shows flashes of the player he truly is, and that player is probably above average to good. My question for you, is how long do we wait in the dark room before venturing out into the light and showing our work as a finished product? How many seasons? At what point do we enter a win now mentality?

If you don’t want to respond that is fine. It is ok to agree to disagree. I just felt bad for getting away from your original post and wanted to align what I was trying to say a little bit better with it.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#24 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:31 pm

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:To be clear, are you saying Ryan is a good coach? Do you want him back next year? Do you think he did well last season? Finally, do you agree with him being made HC this season?

One thing I have learned about HC job, is that HC also should 'fit' organisation. Thibs was 'the best coach available' but he was the worst possible fit. Pop was the best coach available, but USA finished just 7th at FIBA World Cup.

Is Ryan a good coach? No, not yet. His in-game decision making is poor. Is he the best fit? I'd say yes, close to the best fit. I can imagine only one better HC candidate: David Blatt, but he had to quit his coaching career and he is fighting now against severe disease. Also Ryan could offer one thing that other coaches could not provide: familiarity with players, organisation.

Ryan has been an average coach this season, a few in-game decision/rotations costed us some wins. BUT if I think about roster overhaul, injuries, development goals etc, I agree with him being HC at least first half of the next season.

I agree with every part of the post except the bolded. Ryan has all new players now. KAT is the only one who knows Ryan anymore.
Now, I think they do connect to a point, but they haven't been thru all the blood sweat and tears as the others who were here with Flip. Thibs killed most of the chemistry with his hand picked Bulls, and Rosas traded away the rest. *Edit, I do think this group can form a bond and chemistry, but most are playing for a contract, and I always find that when certain players see others get rewarded like Wiggins for doing less, it can create issues.
Can't wait to see where they go for bonding this summer.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves