ImageImageImage

Game 61: Minnesota Timberwolves (18-42) vs. Chicago Bulls (21-40) - 8:00 PM ET

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,514

Re: Game 61: Minnesota Timberwolves (18-42) vs. Chicago Bulls (21-40) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#121 » by Worm Guts » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:15 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I'd love Naz to be successful, but I don't really get it. I don't get what he's supposed to be other than a big body that can shoot the 3.

Well, he can score down low as well. He fights through players in the post pretty well. Obviously still can improve everywhere.

I'm not sure about the question really. Could I guess ask the same about Towns. Is the point simply to say we don't need any big? Or you don't want bigs to hit 3s? Or that you want a big that can actually defend the rim? I've been asking about that last one since that's the questionmark on our two PFs masquerading as Centers.

I think they are supposed to be exactly what they are. Bigs without really being bigs. They seem to hate "bigs" as once known.

Given his role, he should be a defender and rebounder, which I've heard are supposed to be weaknesses of his. As far as scoring, is he a high level scorer or just functional?
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Re: Game 61: Minnesota Timberwolves (18-42) vs. Chicago Bulls (21-40) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#122 » by jpatrick » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:31 pm

If Naz improves his shot and becomes more reliable from three, he’s a decent backup center to get spot minutes. On his current contract, that’s a good value.

I don’t see a starter or even a 6 through 8 man off the bench, but I think he’s showing he’s an NBA player. He was a UDFA, so he was a good find by Rosas.

Clearly the FO likes him. They gave him a contract and have essentially relegated Spellman to ensure Naz gets minutes.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#123 » by minimus » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:32 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I'd love Naz to be successful, but I don't really get it. I don't get what he's supposed to be other than a big body that can shoot the 3.

Well, he can score down low as well. He fights through players in the post pretty well. Obviously still can improve everywhere.

I'm not sure about the question really. Could I guess ask the same about Towns. Is the point simply to say we don't need any big? Or you don't want bigs to hit 3s? Or that you want a big that can actually defend the rim? I've been asking about that last one since that's the questionmark on our two PFs masquerading as Centers.

I think they are supposed to be exactly what they are. Bigs without really being bigs. They seem to hate "bigs" as once known.

Given his role, he should be a defender and rebounder, which I've heard are supposed to be weaknesses of his. As far as scoring, is he a high level scorer or just functional?

A high level undrafted backup rookie scorer
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#124 » by Worm Guts » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:34 pm

minimus wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Well, he can score down low as well. He fights through players in the post pretty well. Obviously still can improve everywhere.

I don't care about the rookie part. What's he supposed grow into?
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#125 » by minimus » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:51 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
minimus wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

The best contact in NBA for the next 3 seasons.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,764

Post#126 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 5, 2020 4:30 pm

minimus wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
minimus wrote:

The best contact in NBA for the next 3 seasons.

Are you on the Naz for backup Center train yet?

We have room.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#127 » by K4P » Thu Mar 5, 2020 5:15 pm

I don't love Naz Reid as a player, but you can clearly see that he is learning, and improving with the minutes he's being given. He's shown flashes of being a competent defender and his passing at the 5 is intriguing. Having a sort of poor man's KAT to give minutes while the real Kat sits is good value for an undrafted free agent. Also helps he's making basically nothing for the next 4 years so they can keep flexibility to eventually add a 3rd star.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,297

Post#128 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 5, 2020 5:48 pm

KAT4PREZ wrote:I don't love Naz Reid as a player, but you can clearly see that he is learning, and improving with the minutes he's being given. He's shown flashes of being a competent defender and his passing at the 5 is intriguing. Having a sort of poor man's KAT to give minutes while the real Kat sits is good value for an undrafted free agent. Also helps he's making basically nothing for the next 4 years so they can keep flexibility to eventually add a 3rd star.

This is my exact feeling about Jaylen Nowell and Malik Beasley. Nowell’s G league stats look like Beasley’s NBA stats. If we could get him going in the NBA, now when Malik sits down you have a competent mini Beasley on the floor with a mini KAT. Obviously mini = poor mans for the purpose of this conversation.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#129 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:24 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I don't get the hate really. Why should Towns be allowed to be all offense and stand aside driving opponents on defense, and yet you think Reid's role is to only defend and rebound?

Idk about scoring. He can shoot the ball. Nobody is asking him to carry the load and aim for 40. No one has funneled everything through him like they've done with Towns since the day he got here. He's very similar to Towns, obviously not at the same level.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#130 » by Worm Guts » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:37 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Well, he can score down low as well. He fights through players in the post pretty well. Obviously still can improve everywhere.

I don't get the hate really. Why should Towns be allowed to be all offense and stand aside driving opponents on defense, and yet you think Reid's role is to only defend and rebound?

Idk about scoring. He can shoot the ball. Nobody is asking him to carry the load and aim for 40. No one has funneled everything through him like they've done with Towns since the day he got here. He's very similar to Towns, obviously not at the same level.

The difference is Towns can score 40 and Towns can rebound. A version Towns that wasn't a dominant scorer wouldn't be worth much.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#131 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:04 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

The difference is Towns can score 40 and Towns can rebound. A version Towns that wasn't a dominant scorer wouldn't be worth much.

It’s interesting you say that. The first couple of games after the trade deadline kinda showcased a different side to KAT’s game. I remember watching him in summer league and thinking his passing was some of the best I had ever seen from a rookie center. KAT has also spoken about being more guard sized in his youth before having a massive growth spirit. I bring this up because I think his value actually extends to shot creation and assisting his teammates. While his handle is not elite by guard standards, it is elite for big man standards. He can legit blow past people. His scoring is of course his best feature, and his rebounding is second, but his game is more complex than that.

Also, regarding his defense, I do believe it is fixable. A lot of his mistakes are timing and positioning related. With a good coach and good scheme I think he may improve to at least an average defender.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#132 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 6, 2020 1:35 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Well your hate and misunderstanding is your own. Can't help you there. As far as I can tell they want him to back up Towns for 12 minutes a game. Do you want to go sign a ready made allstar for that role? This guy is just getting started. Frankly, you have no idea what his upper limit is if at some point the team chose to run an offense through him.

Towns doesn't score 40, even 30, when the team plays a style that doesn't feature him as much. Towns even came out complaining about that this season when the team was learning how to play without him while he was out. He came back and appeared to struggle a little and that was his excuse. "...they aren't featuring me..."

Given that example, can you see why Reid isn't scoring 30-40 just because he's starting? I think it's evident that even if they did run everything through Reid, he's not reaching 40 very often right now. He's got stuff to work on yet, and the team has other shooters to focus the offense on. I still wonder how Towns is going to handle having Dlo and Beasley carry so much load.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#133 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 6, 2020 1:43 am

Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Well your hate and misunderstanding is your own. Can't help you there. As far as I can tell they want him to back up Towns for 12 minutes a game. Do you want to go sign a ready made allstar for that role? This guy is just getting started. Frankly, you have no idea what his upper limit is if at some point the team chose to run an offense through him.

Towns doesn't score 40, even 30, when the team plays a style that doesn't feature him as much. Towns even came out complaining about that this season when the team was learning how to play without him while he was out. He came back and appeared to struggle a little and that was his excuse. "...they aren't featuring me..."

Given that example, can you see why Reid isn't scoring 30-40 just because he's starting? I think it's evident that even if they did run everything through Reid, he's not reaching 40 very often right now. He's got stuff to work on yet, and the team has other shooters to focus the offense on. I still wonder how Towns is going to handle having Dlo and Beasley carry so much load.

Key things to remember.

1. KAT was a 1st overall pick. Naz was undrafted. Expectation levels can and should be different.

2. KAT improved a lot year to year. Naz will too, as evidenced by improvement over the season.

3. KAT made first overall pick money then a max. Reid is making 1.5 for four years and hopefully we can keep him for around 6 if he is an effective backup who develops the way we want.

Jed and I both see the potential and understand that development is a process. This applies to Culver as well. Though I wonder if we wouldn’t be better letting Culver develop elsewhere and trade him in a package for a 3rd star.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#134 » by Worm Guts » Fri Mar 6, 2020 4:42 am

Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I have no hate for Naz Reid, and I’m not really sure what you’re riled up about. I’m just saying you prefer defense to offense from the center position, and an Ok offensive center who is not very good defensively isn’t something I see any reason to get excited about.
And of course, we haven’t spent any resources on him, so it’s not a big deal if he fails. I just don’t see why we should be excited about his potential.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,829

Post#135 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 6, 2020 5:02 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

There are a couple different ways to build a roster in my mind. First is to build a depth chart positionally in a way that horizontally complements each other. The second is to build one that horizontally duplicates itself.

Let me explain. When I'm talking about horizontal complementing, I'm talking about having a backup's skill sets complement the starter. This gives a perception of a more well-rounded game. For example, an offensive starting center would be complemented with a defensive backup at the position. A finesse player would be complemented by a more physical backup. A 3-point sniper would be backed up by a slasher.

What Minnesota seems to be trending towards is horizontal duplicating. This is where starters and backups share similarities in skill sets and play styles. For example, Okogie and Culver have similar games as do Towns and Reid. I'm not talking talent and ability here. Similar skill sets and play styles allow a team to run its same sets no matter who's in the game. If DeAndre Jordan was backing up Towns, the team would have to change up its systems when the backup is in the game.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#136 » by King Malta » Fri Mar 6, 2020 5:06 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

I have no hate for Naz Reid, and I’m not really sure what you’re riled up about. I’m just saying you prefer defense to offense from the center position, and an Ok offensive center who is not very good defensively isn’t something I see any reason to get excited about.
And of course, we haven’t spent any resources on him, so it’s not a big deal if he fails. I just don’t see why we should be excited about his potential.

Personally, what I like about Nas is that he offers a similar (poor man's) skillset to Towns, which enables some continuity between units or when Towns is out injured.

He's a decent shooter, passer and handler for his position, and whilst his defense is clearly and issue he's still young enough to improve it with work.

I don't share the concerns about his rebounding either, to be honest. Now I'm not saying he's Andre Drummond or anything like that, but he's posted three straight games of double figure rebound numbers, averaging in the mid 20 mins as a starter. That's a relatively acceptable number IMO.

I think having the prospect of owning a capable, offensively gifted back-up center for 1.5 mil a year on a roster that is already paying 2 maxes and potentially a high end third contract (Beasley) is an exciting prospect.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#137 » by Jedzz » Sat Mar 7, 2020 12:23 am

Worm Guts wrote:I have no hate for Naz Reid, and I’m not really sure what you’re riled up about. I’m just saying you prefer defense to offense from the center position, and an Ok offensive center who is not very good defensively isn’t something I see any reason to get excited about.
I would agree about wanting defense from your centers. That goes for all of them however.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#138 » by urinesane » Sat Mar 7, 2020 12:59 am

Gorgui's defense was pretty bad and they paid him a ton... Naz doesn't have to be anything, but it'll be interesting to see what he becomes. Either way, he's super cheap, so it's worth it to find out.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves