ImageImageImage

Game 63: Minnesota Timberwolves (19-43) vs. New Orleans Pelicans (27-36) - 3:30 PM ET

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Game 63: Minnesota Timberwolves (19-43) vs. New Orleans Pelicans (27-36) - 3:30 PM ET 

Post#61 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 9, 2020 10:10 am

minimus wrote:
andyhop wrote:
minimus wrote:
Ha? Okogie, Culver, JJ?

JJ is good the other two aren't

Other than RoCo who from players that we traded recently is better defensively than Okogie and Culver?

That is one big example is it not? Probably shouldn't brush that aside. However the reality of that is what was used to propell the trading.

Doesn't matter who else is or isn't. Though it could be argued Dieng was better, maybe others. Hard to say since others played so little compared to Okogie/Culver this season. And with all those minutes they have allowed some horrific opponent shooting percentages this year.

Postgame Ryan was asked if Okogie is his teams best defender. Ryan basically answered yes and went on to say that's who Okogie is at his core and is building from there. However I'm not sure any numbers really prove this has been true throughout this season. I think everyone might agree to someone suggesting Okogie flashes as the one putting high efforts into it. Although the numbers from a starting impact don't appear to me as showing it, and I've noticed those flashes are really only a few times a game, not steady. Someone please do tell us the last player he's forced to have a low production day.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Re: Game 63: Minnesota Timberwolves (19-43) vs. New Orleans Pelicans (27-36) - 3:30 PM ET 

Post#62 » by andyhop » Mon Mar 9, 2020 10:33 am

minimus wrote:
andyhop wrote:
minimus wrote:
Ha? Okogie, Culver, JJ?

Other than RoCo who from players that we traded recently is better defensively than Okogie and Culver?

depends on your definition of recently but Rubio,Butler,Dieng,Dunn,KBD
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#63 » by minimus » Mon Mar 9, 2020 10:52 am

andyhop wrote:
minimus wrote:
andyhop wrote:

All of them were traded by Thibs, except KBD. Also KBD is a smart defender but not near to Okogie in terms of guarding PoA. As stretch 4 he offered little in defense.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#64 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:17 am

minimus wrote:
andyhop wrote:
minimus wrote:

All of them were traded by Thibs, except KBD. Also KBD is a smart defender but not near to Okogie in terms of guarding PoA. As stretch 4 he offered little in defense.

How may PoA have Okogie kept under their game averages this season? Is it a big number, a low number, a nonexistant number? We've all seen the stuff on Harden and occasional similar plays. But we also see the 25pt-35-40-50 pt games they still get as well.

How many career games they been handing out this season so far? Seems like more than the typical one a week.
minimus
RealGM

Post#65 » by minimus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:55 am

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
andyhop wrote:

How may PoA have Okogie kept under their game averages this season? Is it a big number, a low number, a nonexistant number? We've all seen the stuff on Harden and occasional similar plays. But we also see the 25pt-35-40-50 pt games they still get as well.

How many career games they been handing out this season so far? Seems like more than the typical one a week.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqHRqv5VTJdEit5y3-0yYbA/videos

I have been watching this channel last months. The author explains in his videos what it takes to keep PoA under their game averages. What it takes from entire team.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#66 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:56 am

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:

I have been watching this channel last months. The author explains in his videos what it takes to keep PoA under their game averages. What it takes from entire team.

Interesting. I'll take a look!

My point on Okogie and to people who say we can't play without him "on the POA" is if they are scoring 30-40 with him, do people actually think it's going to get worse without him? If it's a team thing, then it's a team thing and there is no absolute need to start him then. I think he's a good 6th or 7th option at best until a couple years from now when he's nailed down a few more offensive skills instead of eating up 26-30 minutes and topping out at 12 pts on best days and 4 points on slow days. Need a little more from a starter. Such as when Dlo has a cold shooting night, Okogie (& others of course) need to be there to pick up slack scoring.

I've got no idea how they improve the defense right now aside from better rebounding and boxing out. Something allows all these teams to hit at an alarming rate and get second chances at alarming rates. So I'll watch some of those clips and see what they know.
minimus
RealGM

Post#67 » by minimus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:59 am

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Interesting. I'll take a look!

My point on Okogie and to people who say we can't play without him "on the POA" is if they are scoring 30-40 with him, do people actually think it's going to get worse without him? If it's a team thing, then it's a team thing and there is no absolute need to start him then. I think he's a good 6th or 7th option at best until a couple years from now when he's nailed down a few more offensive skills instead of eating up 26-30 minutes and topping out at 12 pts on best days and 4 points on slow days. Need a little more from a starter. Such as when Dlo has a cold shooting night, Okogie (& others of course) need to be there to pick up slack scoring.

I've got no idea how they improve the defense right now aside from better rebounding and boxing out. Something allows all these teams to hit at an alarming rate and get second chances at alarming rates. So I'll watch some of those clips and see what they know.

Yeah, you need the right personnel, the right defensive scheme and defensive execution (effort, positional awareness). Okogie has done a remarkable job to guard PoA. I actually believe that he is close to elite in terms of effort and physicality. His problem was that typical mistakes of young players when he went wild in offense and not so disciplined in defense. He has been playing much better after ASG, he is more under control, more disciplined, reduced number of stupid mistakes.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves