The Timberwolves defense has been wretchedly bad

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,295

The Timberwolves defense has been wretchedly bad 

Post#1 » by Calinks » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:54 pm

I think we all knew the defense would suffer but this is on a magnificent scale. Before the trade we had spotty defense but it wasn't flat out awful. It would hover around 15th-20th with some peaks and valleys. Since the trade we have been the league's worst.

Offense has gone up but defense has dropped, pretty much a reversal of things before.

The magic shot basically 70 percent on non three point attempts against the Magic. The magic shot a season best 60.7 percent against us.

The Magic are 25th in the league in offensive rating. They are 27 in league in field goal percentage. They shoot 44% normally. They are 28th in PPG.

Paint defense has been devastating for us. Teams are finishing at will. As much heat as KAT gets for his defense, his presence is missed, Naz Reid doesn't have a handle on this teams defense.

The combo of Beasley and Russell has also been really bad, opposing guards are abusing them.

Over the last 10 games we give up a league leading 60.6 rating for opponents points in the pain. The second to last rating is 53.4. The biggest gap between to consecutively ranked teams by far. The Bucks have the league best rating at 38.8.

Its been really really bad.

Do you think its mostly fixable when KAT comes back and team gets time together to gel and learn?

As it stands now if we come into next season with numbers close to this, there is no hope for the playoffs.Something has to change, improvements need to be made, the defense as is will cost you far more games than the offense can win.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,343

Re: The Timberwolves defense has been wretchedly bad 

Post#2 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:03 pm

Calinks wrote:I think we all knew the defense would suffer but this is on a magnificent scale. Before the trade we had spotty defense but it wasn't flat out awful. It would hover around 15th-20th with some peaks and valleys. Since the trade we have been the league's worst.

Offense has gone up but defense has dropped, pretty much a reversal of things before.

The magic shot basically 70 percent on non three point attempts against the Magic. The magic shot a season best 60.7 percent against us.

My thoughts

1. We traded away most of our best defenders. Team leaders were Roco, Napier, Graham, Dieng, and Okogie. Of those 5 only Okogie remains.

2. Small ball is designed to allow switching, but switching is often ineffective at prevent layups or dunks. The underlying problem is when a 1-3 guards a 5 in the low or even mid post. As long as the double team is to slow or too poorly coordinated the big will score at will. If the double does come this allows an open 3. This defensive scheme is inherently flawed. The only team using a true small ball scheme with success is Houston. The problem, is there lineup is better at swarm defense than ours, and their offense is more consistent than ours.

3. Beasley, Dlo, Juancho, Reid, JMAC, KM, and Nowell are not known for defense. I would argue most are below average at it. Layman, Culver, Okogie, are the only active players who are average or above defenders. Worse, Layman plays defense as a 4 guarding bigger and stronger players. Our entire game plan is to outscore the other team. This only works when the stars are on their games. When Dlo or Beasley is cold the game is usually lost before the end of the first half.

4. Our coaching staff is really bad. We don’t make second half adjustments. Our zones are both lazy and sloppily executed. This is not a coaching staff that will get us to league average defense, ever.

The Magic are 25th in the league in offensive rating. They are 27 in league in field goal percentage. They shoot 44% normally. They are 28th in PPG.

Paint defense has been devastating for us. Teams are finishing at will. As much heat as KAT gets for his defense, his presence is missed, Naz Reid doesn't have a handle on this teams defense.

The combo of Beasley and Russell has also been really bad, opposing guards are abusing them.

Over the last 10 games we give up a league leading 60.6 rating for opponents points in the pain. The second to last rating is 53.4. The biggest gap between to consecutively ranked teams by far. The Bucks have the league best rating at 38.8.

Its been really really bad.

Do you think its mostly fixable when KAT comes back and team gets time together to gel and learn?

As it stands now if we come into next season with numbers close to this, there is no hope for the playoffs.Something has to change, improvements need to be made, the defense as is will cost you far more games than the offense can win.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,541

Post#3 » by shrink » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:18 pm

The truly terrifying part of these defensive numbers is that most of these games are without KAT, who will make the defense even worse.

In the beginning of the season, Rosas told us that your team needed to be in the Top 10 in offense and in defense to be a solid playoff team, and Top 5 in both to have a chance at a championship. Now he’s changed his tune to “net effect.”

Since it looks like KAT and DLo are here for the longterm, the question becomes whether we can add defenders around them, or whether the “just outscore them!” approach has merit.

A. I tend to believe in the sustainability of defense. Any team who shoots a ton of three’s always had a chance to win any game on the occasional nights they are all going in, but that variability leads to one-game, regular season upsets instead of seven-game playoff series victories.

B. However, outscoring them isn’t impossible. KAT is ridiculously good offensively, and the truth is, we’ve never even seen how good he can be with shooters around him! Moreover, when we added one of the league’s best team-defense players in Covington, KAT still played horrible defense. Why invest more assets in a defensive partner for KAT, at least until Vanterpool has gotten him to even attempt to run the system? If he and DLo want to be winners, they need to get their defense up to the “below average” level; once they show that, you can invest in defensive partners for them.

So while I’m a Type A guy, I am looking to see what happens with Type B. I expect wide inconsistency, a lot of euphoric highs and abysmal lows, but at least it will be more entertaining.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#4 » by Dewey » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Super easy to blame coaching, but until we are tougher and deeper, you can bring in the Zen Master and have the same results ... it’s a players game #1. Once you actually have the players, then we start to play armchair quarterback ...
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#5 » by WolfAddict » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:21 am

Dewey wrote:Super easy to blame coaching, but until we are tougher and deeper, you can bring in the Zen Master and have the same results ... it’s a players game #1. Once you actually have the players, then we start to play armchair quarterback ...

So we just disregard the downsides to a coach until we have better players..? Wouldn't it be better to address coaching deficiences sooner rather than later? Then issues are ironed out before we have better players and they can hit the ground in an already well coached, and established system. Just seems like common sense to me.

It may be a players game, but coaching is a big factor. Rotations, game plans, matchups all combine to make winning easier for the players. If you don't have those things in place, then you bring in a star and still struggle.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#6 » by Dewey » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:29 am

WolfAddict wrote:
Dewey wrote:Super easy to blame coaching, but until we are tougher and deeper, you can bring in the Zen Master and have the same results ... it’s a players game #1. Once you actually have the players, then we start to play armchair quarterback ...

So we just disregard the downsides to a coach until we have better players..? Wouldn't it be better to address coaching deficiences sooner rather than later? Then issues are ironed out before we have better players and they can hit the ground in an already well coached, and established system. Just seems like common sense to me.

It may be a players game, but coaching is a big factor. Rotations, game plans, matchups all combine to make winning easier for the players. If you don't have those things in place, then you bring in a star and still struggle.

Largely agree, but in reality, head coaches are rarely as bad or good as they might seem. If Ryan isn't clicking with the team and/or hindering their development, Rosas is not gonna waste anytime moving onto another HC.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,717

Post#7 » by minimus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:30 am

I think that the main question is: are these problems easy to fix?

In 2017-18, under Thibs, we had two defensive-minded players in starting lineup Butler and Taj Gibson. We had enough size KAT, Dieng, Aldrich, Bjelica at SF. We had Tyus and Dieng as defensive-minded bench players. Gibson, Rose, Crawford, Teague had 8 and more years of experience But DRtg was still awful 111.1 (27th of 30). KAT-Gibson-Butler-Wiggins-Teague-Dieng-Bjelica-Jones-Rose-Crawford, we had veterans, we had role players. 8th seed, hopeless loss in 1st round of playoff.

That roster had no room for improvements, neither in terms of internal development (bad fit, no chemistry, role players were past their prime or no potential: Crawford, Gibson, Teague, Rose) nor external (no top draft picks, no cap space). There was no fix for that roster, we were doomed.

Back to 2019-20, under Rosas, we have one defensive-minded player in starting lineup Okogie. We have no size when KAT misses games. We have JO (21yo), JC(21yo), as primary perimeter defenders. JJ is the only veteran. Our role players are undrafted players (Naz Reid, Martin, ML), or young players (Juancho, Beasley). We have the worst defense in NBA right now, but I prefer this current situation to 2017-18 situation on any day of the week, because:

* - this roster has room for internal development. KAT and DLo fit each other, at least in the offense. They have off-court chemistry. Our role players should get only better with experience. KAT will give us size and rebounding that we need, without making us worse in the offense, moreover making us potentially elite in offense. They will get better after full offseason and preseason in terms of team chemistry. Layman will be factor.
* - this roster has room for external development. They will likely have a top draft pick and mid frp. They will have cap space this offseason when a few other teams will have.
* - Ryan will get better or Rosas will bring a better coach.

In IT many successful teams adopt "implement => test earlier => identify problem earlier => fix earlier => test => deliver faster" approach. I can definetely see same vision in MIN. The results are not here yet, but the vision/process is here.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#8 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:41 pm

Who could we get to help remedy this?
Does Hassan Whiteside or Meyers Leonard move the needle?

I think Glen has to pull the trigger on young Ryan.
There is only one player really close to him anymore. And you just got KAT his best friend.

I don't know if there is a coach who can turn it around, but if he's not getting any help from his asst coaches, then maybe they want him to fail. I still think Rosas was encouraged to keep him to placate the loyal players. Now would be the time to reverse without the rebuild. Don't think they could sell a rebuild plan at this point.

I think a small part of the problem are the 2 way contracts that doesn't allow them to practice, so on game night, nobody knows where everyone is going to be. Get JMac done.
minimus
RealGM

Post#9 » by minimus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:40 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Who could we get to help remedy this?

Certainly not Drummond, nor Whiteside nor Meyers Leonard.

My top tier (unrealistic):
Jaylen Brown - Ainge wont trade him
Jonathan Isaac (if healthy) - ORL wont trade him, will seek big contract
OG Anunoby - TOR wont trade him, will seek big contract
Jerami Grant - will seek big contract
Christian Wood - will seek big contract

My middle tier (realistic goals):
Aaron Gordon - excellent fit, good contract
Jae Crowder - excellent fit, veteran

My bottom tier (low impact or high risks):
Moe Harkless - played for Vanterpool
Al-Farouq Aminu (if healthy) - played for Vanterpool, overpaid, injured
Bruno Caboclo - might be only one year away from being one year away
DeMarre Carroll - veteran, 5 minutes production for vetmin
JaMychal Green - veteran, 5 minutes production for vetmin
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#10 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:52 pm

minimus wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Who could we get to help remedy this?

Certainly not Drummond, nor Whiteside nor Meyers Leonard.

My top tier (unrealistic):
Jaylen Brown - Ainge wont trade him
Jonathan Isaac (if healthy) - ORL wont trade him, will seek big contract
OG Anunoby - TOR wont trade him, will seek big contract
Jerami Grant - will seek big contract
Christian Wood - will seek big contract

My middle tier (realistic goals):
Aaron Gordon - excellent fit, good contract
Jae Crowder - excellent fit, veteran

My bottom tier (low impact or high risks):
Moe Harkless - played for Vanterpool
Al-Farouq Aminu (if healthy) - played for Vanterpool, overpaid, injured
Bruno Caboclo - might be only one year away from being one year away
DeMarre Carroll - veteran, 5 minutes production for vetmin
JaMychal Green - veteran, 5 minutes production for vetmin

Well the only name on that list is Gordon, and not sure how we could talk Orlando out of that contract.

Ibaka is out there but I think his time has passed. I think we should go to the G league and look for a defensive big that doesn't want the ball. Just block shots. Or 2nd round of draft just a 7 footer that thrives on blocking shots.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#11 » by mandurugo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:58 pm

If the Wolves want to start KAT, D'Lo, and Beasley I think the only way to get a decent defensive team is to add prime Kevin Garnett and prime Scotty Pippen. The nature of the space-time continuum being what it is, I'll be the first to admit this is not going to be an easy solution to implement. That said, if the wolves could pull it off I think they might have a chance at success next year.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,541

Post#12 » by shrink » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:08 pm

mandurugo wrote:If the Wolves want to start KAT, D'Lo, and Beasley I think the only way to get a decent defensive team is to add prime Kevin Garnett and prime Scotty Pippen. The nature of the space-time continuum being what it is, I'll be the first to admit this is not going to be an easy solution to implement. That said, if the wolves could pull it off I think they might have a chance at success next year.

Great post!

You know, I wonder if Garnett would consider coming back here to be an assistant coach? It would be a way to honor Flip Saunders to work for his son. And the only time Towns has played acceptable defense in five years was when Garnett was behind him telling him where to be. Maybe that would work as a coach?

I am starting to think Towns may feel he is too good to listen to people, but he would have to respect Garnett, and KG would not tolerate half-ass or boneheaded defensive plays.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
minimus
RealGM

Post#13 » by minimus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:10 pm

mandurugo wrote:If the Wolves want to start KAT, D'Lo, and Beasley I think the only way to get a decent defensive team is to add prime Kevin Garnett and prime Scotty Pippen. The nature of the space-time continuum being what it is, I'll be the first to admit this is not going to be an easy solution to implement. That said, if the wolves could pull it off I think they might have a chance at success next year.

Well, I believe that even retired version of KG in coaching staff would help our young bigmen a lot.
minimus
RealGM

Post#14 » by minimus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:11 pm

shrink wrote:

Great post!

You know, I wonder if Garnett would consider coming back here to be an assistant coach? It would be a way to honor Flip Saunders to work for his son. And the only time Towns has played acceptable defense in five years was when Garnett was behind him telling him where to be. Maybe that would work as a coach?

I am starting to think Towns may feel he is too good to listen to people, but he would have to respect Garnett, and KG would not tolerate half-ass or boneheaded defensive plays.

shrink, you have beaten me on it!
mandurugo
Starter

Post#15 » by mandurugo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:57 pm

It's a shame the relationship between Taylor and KG is so toxic, I agree with both of you that adding him as a big man coach would be a great experiment. Not all great players can teach, but I do remember how well that one year went when he was playing with Towns.
minimus
RealGM

Post#16 » by minimus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:22 pm

Also, I think that building solid, deep bench will have our defense a lot. There might be three dimensions:

* - first, vertical grow: bring here more talented, experienced defenders. Develop Okogie, Culver into solid rotation players, as both need to develop consistent shot and decision making. I believe that defense has lower market value, i.e. good defender can be found in late first round or even in second round, veterans with solid defense and with limited offensive game can be signed for less money.
* - second, horizontal grow: fill rotation with capable players who fit. As I said earlier, in current NBA, there are many solid player who are able to impact the game playing as 6th, 7th man in rotation. MIA, BOS, DEN, TOR have deep rotations. I think that if we acquire a solid defender at PF, let say Aaron Gordon AND resign Juancho it will impact our defense in numerous ways. First, it will makes our starting unit more versatile in defense. This is important if we think about our ability to implement different defensive schemes. Second, a solid starting PF will push Juancho into backup PF role, where his defense will be less exposed and offense might be maximised. Third, it will create a needed depth at PF position in case of injuries, b2b games etc. I like TOR example, because they have such redundancy: Ibaka-Gasol, Siakam-Anunoby-Boucher-RHJ, Powell-Davis-McCaw, FVV-Lowry.
* - third, organic grow: build solid rotation, chemistry, polish defensive execution, use appropriate defensive schemes against different opponents.
minimus
RealGM

Post#17 » by minimus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:24 pm

mandurugo wrote:It's a shame the relationship between Taylor and KG is so toxic, I agree with both of you that adding him as a big man coach would be a great experiment. Not all great players can teach, but I do remember how well that one year went when he was playing with Towns.

Maybe KAT and DLo will organise a minicamp in LA for whole team with KG teaching defense. 8-)
mandurugo
Starter

Post#18 » by mandurugo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:58 pm

minimus wrote:
mandurugo wrote:It's a shame the relationship between Taylor and KG is so toxic, I agree with both of you that adding him as a big man coach would be a great experiment. Not all great players can teach, but I do remember how well that one year went when he was playing with Towns.

Maybe KAT and DLo will organise a minicamp in LA for whole team with KG teaching defense. 8-)

Couldn't hurt, though I think they need a little more work than a mini camp would provide... :)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,295

Post#19 » by Calinks » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:20 pm

I don't think KG has any interest in coaching our joining the organization. That said, would be really awesome if KAT took it upon himself to seek KG out for some more mentorship. KG probably would give KAt some of his time if asked. Not saying KG would come here, KAT would probably have to go to him in LA over the summer but he could learn a lot.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#20 » by Killboard » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:08 pm

I'm sure is KAT fault.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves