ImageImageImage

The Timberwolves defense has been wretchedly bad

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Re: The Timberwolves defense has been wretchedly bad 

Post#21 » by Foye » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:46 pm

That current defense is the worst in 30 years Timberwolves history.

And with DLO and KAT as the building blocks there's little hope they will improve to even league average.

Timberwolves are trying to build a house of cards in a wind tunnel. Good luck with that.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,723

Post#22 » by minimus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:17 pm

Foye wrote:That current defense is the worst in 30 years Timberwolves history.

And with DLO and KAT as the building blocks there's little hope they will improve to even league average.

Timberwolves are trying to build a house of cards in a wind tunnel. Good luck with that.

The level of desperation is the lowest as well.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#23 » by Calinks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:05 pm

I think it can improve simply with some significant practice and adjusted schemes. That said I think we should also bring in outside help where we can. Have to find away to at least be average.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#24 » by Klomp » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:39 am

The more efficient the offense is, the less efficient standard the defense has to reach for team success.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#25 » by Jedzz » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:10 am

Klomp wrote:The more efficient the offense is, the less efficient standard the defense has to reach for team success.

I do think that is true. Although that efficient capable offense also has to remain consistent and be prepared with flexible options within their system to allow it to remain a consistent producer. Because if it sags at all, the eyesore they allowed the defense to spiral into becomes all there is to see and we'll get more of the typical two great effort wins, three blowout losses repeating ritual we've seen even in the team's best seasons.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#26 » by Calinks » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:28 pm

I agree but I think its really hard to have an offense so good that they defense doesn't matter. I don't think you can get away with an A+ offense and an F defense. Maaaybe you could get into the playoffs. If the offense is so elite it just can't be stopped, I don't think you are getting far in the post season though.

I think a A- level offense and a C+ defense is achievable for this roster though (maybe with a few changes) and that could get us far.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#27 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Calinks wrote:I agree but I think its really hard to have an offense so good that they defense doesn't matter. I don't think you can get away with an A+ offense and an F defense. Maaaybe you could get into the playoffs. If the offense is so elite it just can't be stopped, I don't think you are getting far in the post season though.

I think a A- level offense and a C+ defense is achievable for this roster though (maybe with a few changes) and that could get us far.

If the offense is so good that it can't be stopped, lterally can't be stopped, than a D- defense is just fine. Because your team will be right there scoring tit for tat all game and at the end it won't be any different from any other game. Down to the wire just where the NBA wants it. The only way it doesn't work, is if the offense takes games off. Then you have nobody and no defense to save you. Thus the Timberwolves beating on Clippers one game and getting blown out by Atlanta the next.

I would say more consistent professional play on both ends is what is demanded. Doesn't have to be top 5 on either end to win more. Just have to want to win and show up more. If this season tells me anything, it's that they haven't instilled a desire to win more yet, because tiny injuries still take way longer than they should and these guys will sit out for any reason they can find and the team will toss seasons at the first sign of adversity. That lesson hasn't changed yet.

I look at a 33 yr old Kyle Lowry and see him take most of November off, then come back for maybe every game since to be near the very top in minutes played this season. That team had numerous players drop like flies and then come back. The team kept fighting. They didn't move to end their own season like the Wolves did very early this season. I remember people complaining about Rose missing games. But he came back soon even if often knicked up. At least until the Wolves quit a season early and sat all the major minute vets. That dude fought for games in the way I see Raptors players fight for games. The way I see Beasley working in games now. We need a team with that mentality or it's going nowhere.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#28 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:35 pm

It's just too bad we couldn't see more Towns/Dlo/Beas/Johnson whoever whoever whoever rotations to find out what that really looks like. Now it's going to be one big mystery until next year?
minimus
RealGM

Post#29 » by minimus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:21 am

Jedzz wrote:It's just too bad we couldn't see more Towns/Dlo/Beas/Johnson whoever whoever whoever rotations to find out what that really looks like. Now it's going to be one big mystery until next year?

That is what I am thinking as well. Naz Reid is going to be good next season, with even more improved body and experience. However, last 11 games as a starter he averages 11ppg, 6.5rpg, 2apg, 1.2spg, 1.1bpg, 3.5PF, 1TO in 25mpg. Shooting 40%FG, 28% 3PT. There is simply no way KAT will be that bad in offense and at rebounding. It is safe to say, that offense will be much better next season and we will rebound better with KAT.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#30 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:32 pm

minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:It's just too bad we couldn't see more Towns/Dlo/Beas/Johnson whoever whoever whoever rotations to find out what that really looks like. Now it's going to be one big mystery until next year?

That is what I am thinking as well. Naz Reid is going to be good next season, with even more improved body and experience. However, last 11 games as a starter he averages 11ppg, 6.5rpg, 2apg, 1.2spg, 1.1bpg, 3.5PF, 1TO in 25mpg. Shooting 40%FG, 28% 3PT. There is simply no way KAT will be that bad in offense and at rebounding. It is safe to say, that offense will be much better next season and we will rebound better with KAT.

I agree. He's a rook and all the new responsibilities, especially as starter, has eaten up his focus on shooting. Kat will undoubtedly help in a number of ways.
minimus
RealGM

Post#31 » by minimus » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#32 » by Dewey » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:32 pm

minimus wrote:

Fun to watch. This is what happens when you try to play ISO ball against disciplined team defense.

NBA coaches have always struggled to fundamentally instruct players who've come thru the system solely on their athleticism and raw ability. Some coaches are flawed as well and want to fast-track, yet guys like Nurse have found a way to successfully identified coachable players to build & lead team basketball.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves